Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 775 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Even if "they are gonna come for basketball schools" then surely we'd be in before St. John's, Nova, or Marquette? In your doomsday scenario it's hard to see them pass up one of the most successful basketball programs to have ever existed if the goal is to specifically add basketball schools.
You can not risk being asked. You have to make it happen.

Big East needs to expand, needs to really get much more on its media deal or it’s gonna die.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Cut a deal or merge with the WCC, grab a couple of teams from A 10. I would like to get Fairfield in and give us a big instate rivalry game!i
Us?

Reaction Score
Im not sure playing p4 teams is such a good idea… we are at such a disadvantage to them that maybe playing in the mac would be the best option along with umass and schedule local p4 teams… bc, syracuse.. Pittsburgh would be our best option
I don’t like scheduling the heavyweight P4 programs like Michigan, Clemson etc. I get that we’re paid well to do it but the lop-sided losses are a bad look for the program at this time.

But I think the MAC is setting our sights too low & would really hurt fan interest.

I like scheduling the local P4s (BC, Cuse , Pitt), but I think the rest of the schedule should be filled with the better G5 programs (from AAC, MWC & SunBelt). There’s no reason we can’t compete & succeed against those programs. And if we can position the program near the top of G5 programs, that might be as good as it gets without a P4 invite.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I don’t like scheduling the heavyweight P4 programs like Michigan, Clemson etc. I get that we’re paid well to do it but the lop-sided losses are a bad look for the program at this time.

But I think the MAC is setting our sights too low & would really hurt fan interest.

I like scheduling the local P4s (BC, Cuse , Pitt), but I think the rest of the schedule should be filled with the better G5 programs (from AAC, MWC & SunBelt). There’s no reason we can’t compete & succeed against those programs. And if we can position the program near the top of G5 programs, that might be as good as it gets without a P4 invite.
I agree we need to shelve the pay-day games. H/H matchups with middle-tier P4 programs is the way to go.

Reaction Score
I think UConn needs to seriously consider a non-football offer to a P5 conference if one is extended. Our football would be independent for the opposite reason as Notre Dame, but we'd join them as the only other FBS independent in the P5 club.
If Big 12 would do this, and give UConn FB affiliate agreement and play games for 4-5 years until next tv contract, UConn should jump at that chance.

Reaction Score
You can not risk being asked. You have to make it happen.

Big East needs to expand, needs to really get much more on its media deal or it’s gonna die.
Only works if some is willing to pay for additional teams.

Reaction Score
Do you guys think we will find ourselves in the ACC soon with many of the current teams gone?

Reaction Score
Do you guys think we will find ourselves in the ACC soon with many of the current teams gone?
I wasn't aware that teams have left the ACC. I read in another thread that they are vetting teams that are south and west rather than north and east.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
i think the ACC remnants will move to merge with the Big East
Whether its a G5 or P4 depends on who they lose
1.Best case:
UNC
UVA
FSU
Clemson
They will still be P4
2 *Second Best /Worse
The 4 above plus
Miami
Pitt
UVT
3 *Third Best/Disaster /Time
The 3 above plus
GT
Duke
NCS
Louisville
!. They add Tulane /UConn and survive as a P4
raid the B12 for USF, Cincinnati, WVA ,
2. The B12 raids them
They add UConn, Tulane , USF , Memphis and pretend to be P4
3. Wake,Cuse, BC merge with the Big East plus Football
adds Tulane ,Memphis, USF, Navy , Army , Temple,

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
How the ACC narrative has changed...

From being locked into a long term contract by the GOR...to a mass desertion.
They are still locked in. It’s all a bit silly. I don’t think there are homes for those schools in leagues that will pay then any more. ACC deal is better than the Big XII deal. The B1G is starting to realize it already has too many teams.

Reaction Score
They are still locked in. It’s all a bit silly. I don’t think there are homes for those schools in leagues that will pay then any more. ACC deal is better than the Big XII deal. The B1G is starting to realize it already has too many teams.
The ACC deal and the Big 12 deal are about the same. And, ACC revenues are at risk as I believe ACC Network revenues are peaking and cord cutting will start the ACCN revenue decline. The Big 12's media deal is shorter than the ACC's deal, so the next Big 12 deal is the real decider of which conference has the better deal. Plus, it's unlikely any Big 12 team has P2 options where a number of ACC schools may so Big 12 is the more stable LT conference from a membership basis. Of course, we one day may see the top ACC and Big 12 schools form a new conference to get rid of the low value schools.

As for conferences being too big, the ACC commissioner just said that he doesn't think all the ACC schools should participate in the conference basketball tournaments. Schools like Cincinnati will play 21 games on ESPN+ this year. So why would a P4 conference want/need more basketball schools?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The ACC deal and the Big 12 deal are about the same. And, ACC revenues are at risk as I believe ACC Network revenues are peaking and cord cutting will start the ACCN revenue decline. The Big 12's media deal is shorter than the ACC's deal, so the next Big 12 deal is the real decider of which conference has the better deal. Plus, it's unlikely any Big 12 team has P2 options where a number of ACC schools may so Big 12 is the more stable LT conference from a membership basis. Of course, we one day may see the top ACC and Big 12 schools form a new conference to get rid of the low value schools.

As for conferences being too big, the ACC commissioner just said that he doesn't think all the ACC schools should participate in the conference basketball tournaments. Schools like Cincinnati will play 21 games on ESPN+ this year. So why would a P4 conference want/need more basketball schools?
ACC payout on linear increases each year no matter what. It was a back end loaded deal. It passes the Big XII in a couple of years. I agree with the rest, but I think these ACC schools are making a huge mistake. The renewal for the Big XII? My prediction is that it will be level or go down. The revenues just aren't there from ESPN and Fox. Suddenly the ACC deal will look very good, plus you've got a nice footprint, local rivals, reasonable travel costs. Things every school should value a lot more than they do.

Reaction Score
ACC payout on linear increases each year no matter what. It was a back end loaded deal. It passes the Big XII in a couple of years. I agree with the rest, but I think these ACC schools are making a huge mistake. The renewal for the Big XII? My prediction is that it will be level or go down. The revenues just aren't there from ESPN and Fox. Suddenly the ACC deal will look very good, plus you've got a nice footprint, local rivals, reasonable travel costs. Things every school should value a lot more than they do.

The Big 12's new TV deal also has an escalator clause so it will remain ahead of the ACC. Also, there is no way the Big 12's TV deal decreases, especially after expansion. The worst case scenario is that it gets paid by CBS or NBC but how can someone say the revenue won't be there by 2030. You're talking 5 to 7 years from now.

There's a reason why FSU's president and AD publicly talked about their concern over the Big 12 going to market again before they had a chance. FSU projected the ACC's payout to be 60 million in 2028, the Big 12's should project to be closer to 65 million due to other deals. That's why the Four Corners chose the Big 12 over the ACC.

Reaction Score
The FSU AD specifically is concerned about the Big Ten and SEC payouts......There is such a vast delta..

That's according to Navigate, a sports and entertainment market research company.

Their research projects the Big Ten projecting $75 million per school per year by 2025 and the SEC crossing $100 million per school by 2028.

Meanwhile, the ACC, Big 12, and Pac-12 are projected to top out in the mid-50s.

A wee bit optimisric on Pac 12 (this was last year's research)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom