Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 682 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
If that's the case, the obvious choice is to take Stanford. However, I am highly doubtful Stanford will stay in the B12 long term due to culture fit and academics.

Oregon State, while not ideal, would love the B12. It will get the B12 into another state in Oregon although it will be the second state school. The smart choice would be to take Oregon State or another team on the East. There isn't another logical choice in the East unless B12 values USF and Tampa.

So it will be most likely UConn and Oregon State? Will the media companies like Fox step up to pay for this?

Nothing is done until we got an invite in hand. UConn has been let down way too many times already. Hopefully, we will get an answer soon vs. months of speculating.
Stanford is really weird when you get down to it. They have such a tremendous name pull. I honestly think at this point them and Cal just go independent in football. They don't really seem to care.

Reaction Score
The Big East threw UConn a lifeline, and your hoops program has absolutely thrived in what is becoming an awesome basketball conference with some of the best coaches in the country. UConn should stay where it is. The grass is not always greener. …

Orc

Reaction Score
The rumor is they want to add before December 2023. Yormark already got the presidents to approve 17th and 18th.

This isn't over yet for this year. Therefore, I don't think the new schools can vote for 17th and 18th.
Unfortunately there now a bunch of schools in the B12 who are full on uconn haters. Central Florida, Houston and Cincanniti will never vote for Uconn in just like Syracuse and BC in ACC

Reaction Score
I'm hearing we need to find more media money for 17 & 18. This may take a few months.
I think this might be the counterside to things. As much as people talk "equal share" every school has a number attached to it. UConn may have some value but when you paid UConn AND Colorado it doesn't look so bad, when its UConn AND Oregon State it may not look so good... or that they had to swallow Utah. So on.

In the end this is not the conference's money per se. It's the media rights holders and they only have so much time access and each additional program, especially ones not already in regular play, is going to be a bit less valued.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
That Mhver dude is talking ACC teams, and that's not happening anytime soon. Only west teams I know that have been vetted are Stanford and Oregon State. The Big 12 wouldn't take both, already too heavy in the west.
Didn’t stop them last time. They are on full blown PAC2.0. I’m putting Big12 on the lock…you have absolutely torched the East Coast schools, and the 3 you let in won’t let you change that.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Completely agree! Anyone who thinks Cooley as head coach would make a program more attractive clearly has lost their mind. I mean what has he done as a college coach? Nothing all that memorable.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
The Big East threw UConn a lifeline, and your hoops program has absolutely thrived in what is becoming an awesome basketball conference with some of the best coaches in the country. UConn should stay where it is. The grass is not always greener. …
My position on this hasn’t changed. If the Big East could be assured on staying in its current form there’s no other conference I’d want our basketball teams in.

Current form defined as (in order of priority):
Key teams: Nova, GTown, St John’s
MSG
Double round robin schedule
Dedicated TV contract with block coverage

All of the above make the Big East the amazing conference that it is.

The problem is the above is fragile.
The TV contract could change decidedly in the next go around ruining the wonderful 2-3 game block scheduling weve been enjoying on fox.

We are one 2-4 team raid away from possibly disrupting the other 3.

Now my friend Friar J says it’s crazy to think that anyone from the big East would want to get in bed with the big 12, but I’m not sure.

First let’s talk motive.
1- if you’re not growing, you’re dying.
2- there is a collision coming between the ACC and the big 12.
3- the ACC is inevitably going to lose its major football players, some of the remaining schools will have a basketball mindset (Duke, Cuse, Louisville, for starters).
4- the ACC’s backfill plans when that happens WILL be big east schools.

There is undeniably a motivation for the big 12 to leverage its basketball momentum, undercut the ACC’s contingency plan and create a FOMO among ACC basketball schools when the music stops.

UConn, Nova, GTown and St John’s would bring:
NYC, Philly, DC. It would bring the iconic big east brands. It would bring MSG. It would create an east coast nucleus for Olympics. It would destroy a competitor for basketball contracts and it would create the magnetic advantage of which way teams flow between the ACC and Big 12 when it all goes down.

So why would the Big East schools say yes?

1-$
2-it’s the gun or the money. In the scenario where you say no and they go out and get someone else, you’re staring down the barrel.

Repeating my original premise: I don’t want to leave the big East in its current form.

But I don’t believe that the big east is immortal.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
True. It'll be interesting to see what he does at Georgetown we're expectations of what constitutes success are higher.

Reaction Score
Is there any chance the ACC could work around the GOR by agreeing to mutually split with a member? I don't even know if such a thing would be possible, but on paper a school like Louisville would seem to fit better in the Big 12, and I'm not sure the ACC would miss them all that much. Moving forward, I wouldn't even be surprised to see team for team swaps in non-p2 leagues where the money is comparable but the travel is not.

Such a maneuver would in theory open up at least two spots for UConn.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
not infinitely, just more, assuming Yormark does the math well and uses the football strength to create just enough incentive

Nothing to respond to here, just more of you being a .

I didn’t say that. I’m talking strictly about the basketball brands in the big 12 benefiting from playing games in NYC. I’m assuming parody in the interest of New Yorkers to the current conference.

If Yormark offers a vision with the existing basketball conference + the best brands in the acc and big east + Gonzaga to create a basketball super conference, schools may get jumpy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom