Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 684 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
It’s logical because he’s expecting the ACC to behave rationally. If it did, UConn would already be in it. They are at 15, it’s nuts. The ACC has a strong hand to play of it was just smarter about it, and if someone could muzzle the dopes at FSU.
Seems like you think the ACC should expand just for the sake of expanding - correct me if I'm wrong. If the ACC could add schools that would add value, don't you think they'd already have done it? Why do you think k the FSU is a bunch of dopes? They're trying to optimize their revenues, just like any other school (UConn included). If you look at their institution, there's much to admire academically and athletically. I admire their passion to improve and in some cases we'd be lucky to have those same levels of passion and status.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
If it’s true that XII wants to go to 18 very soon (before 2024), I think UConn and SD St. as the logical pair as it adds SoCal (ASU would be very happy) and NY/NE, both the Eastern and Pacific time zones, and basketball cred.

That of course means that the XII presidents will pick 2 of Colorado St, UNLV, Boise St, Oregon St and Washington St. because they are more aligned culturally, add football value, and new markets (I think Washington St is #5 in Seattle behind UW, UO, Stanford and USC).
Bingo. Or SMU like Zoo stated, or another AAC cretin.

Reaction Score
Can we go back to the intent of the thread?
harry potter hp GIF

Reaction Score
Seems like you think the ACC should expand just for the sake of expanding - correct me if I'm wrong. If the ACC could add schools that would add value, don't you think they'd already have done it? Why do you think k the FSU is a bunch of dopes? They're trying to optimize their revenues, just like any other school (UConn included). If you look at their institution, there's much to admire academically and athletically. I admire their passion to improve and in some cases we'd be lucky to have those same levels of passion and status.
I think the ACC needs to be expand to stay viable long term. Only way to do it is to keep the Big 12 out of the East. How does a East Coast line of of WV, Pitt, Cuse, Conn sound. It's more of a strategic long term play while.improving their hoops.

Reaction Score
I think the ACC needs to be expand to stay viable long term. Only way to do it is to keep the Big 12 out of the East. How does a East Coast line of of WV, Pitt, Cuse, Conn sound. It's more of a strategic long term play while.improving their hoops.
It sounds pretty good in theory but it is difficult to imagine a scenario where WV is in the ACC because if teams exit the ACC, then I think it will be driven by FB (of course!) and so they'd lose their marque programs to the point where the Big12 would be stronger than the ACC remnants thereby rendering WV to stay put.

Reaction Score
It sounds pretty good in theory but it is difficult to imagine a scenario where WV is in the ACC because if teams exit the ACC, then I think it will be driven by FB (of course!) and so they'd lose their marque programs to the point where the Big12 would be stronger than the ACC remnants thereby rendering WV to stay put.

The ASU AD already made a comment about WVU and going there. They are on an island. So either the Big 12 needs to add some Eastern schools for them or the ACC scoops in and takes WVU. The b12 media rights are up before the ACC. I think UConn has way more leverage here. The ACC needs them to put a damper in the B12 plans and the B12 needs them to secure the North East. Personally I say f the Big 12 but take the offer if it comes before end of year. If the ACC offers before you take it. I think it would be great if the UConn board scheduled weekly emergency BOT meetings until Xmas.

Reaction Score
Some interesting things can be done to improve the ACCs situation. I think revising the distribution model to with weighting performance, revenue generation, and reinvestment factors. Consider basketball onlies, also with a weighted distribution model. Or potential BE merger.

Do what they need to do to keep their existing powers while incentivizing others to improve. Even have some provisions that would allow them to remove schools where it’s clear they are only interested in profiting without investing.

Perhaps apply some similar criteria to evaluate potential add candidates. And utilize objective metrics to justify adding teams.

GG

Reaction Score
If UCONN and the Big 12 had a song.

The Scientist/Lyrics
Come up to meet you, tell you I'm sorry

You don't know how lovely you are

I had to find you, tell you I need you

Tell you I set you apart

Tell me your secrets and ask me your questions

Oh, let's go back to the start

Running in circles, coming up tails

Heads on a science apart

Nobody said it was easy

It's such a shame for us to part

Nobody said it was easy

No one ever said it would be this hard

Oh, take me back to the start

I was just guessing at numbers and figures

Pulling the puzzles apart

Questions of science, science and progress

Do not speak as loud as my heart

But tell me you love me, come back and haunt me

Oh and I rush to the start

Running in circles, chasing our tails

Coming back as we are

Nobody said it was easy

Oh, it's such a shame for us to part

Nobody said it was easy

No one ever said it would be so hard

I'm going back to the start

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Is there any chance the ACC could work around the GOR by agreeing to mutually split with a member? I don't even know if such a thing would be possible, but on paper a school like Louisville would seem to fit better in the Big 12, and I'm not sure the ACC would miss them all that much. Moving forward, I wouldn't even be surprised to see team for team swaps in non-p2 leagues where the money is comparable but the travel is not.

Such a maneuver would in theory open up at least two spots for UConn.
I imagine that this would depend in large part on the language of the media contracts (broadcast partners may have a say) but hypothetically, if the ACC could, why would they? Why would the school request this unless they would be moving to greener pastures? If they were, logically wouldn't this make the ACC a lesser product? Beyond that, this would set a precedent that could be potentially very dangerous as one of the schools that really does want out could apply for the same deal shortly after the first was completed.

Reaction Score
Bah, Rt 1 was a mess they updated it, including the turn lanes and pedestrian crossing. Patriots Place pays property taxes and brings in sales taxes. The state has done just fine with that deal and so have the Patriots.

They were never going to Hartford. They wanted to get to Southie. Can we all step back from the crazy idea that there aren’t several other cities more worthy of an NFL team than Hartford? It couldn’t keep an NHL team.
Absolutely, but the farce went far enough to have a signed agreement between the Pats and Hartford. Hence, the payment made by the NFL to avoid a breach of contract suit. The payment was driven by the NFL’s interest in keeping their dirty laundry from being aired during discovery.

Reaction Score
I hope I'm still alive in 13 years to see BC getting blocked and playing in the A10. I suppose we'll let Cuse back in the Big East but Pitt and Louisville can screw off and play in the A10 too.

I don't pay CT taxes but I'm willing to increase my alumni contributions to keep us afloat.
The SEC chief will visit Louisville to tell them, ‘sorry, you did not make the final cut.’ Except, the next day the same chief will announce that Louisville has been invited as he downs a half-bottle of Advil while looking at 4 empty bottles of bourbon in his hotel room and an entire thumb drive of incriminating pictures from his night with one of Pitino’s finest.

I swear bourbon was involved at a former company of mine when the exec team was finalizing the city of pop a major operation. Louisville was ranked #4 of the 4 finalists, but after one night there, they announced it would be Louisville before even visiting two of the other cities.

Reaction Score
I think Cooley will do well at Georgetown as Georgetown has better recent basketball history than Providence and Georgetown is a great school in a top recruiting area.

The best team in the DC area seems to migrate over time. In the early the late ‘70’s and early ‘80’s it was UVA (two Final 4’s and a NIT title). That was immediately followed by Georgetown (1984 title, two more finals, etc.). Then there was a run by Maryland in the early ‘00’s with a title and another final four. UVA has now been the big DC dog again since 2012/13 with a title in 2018/19.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don’t think the ACC would know a school that adds value if it swam up and bit them on the ass. The whole conference is run by a bunch people who think it’s the 90s. We give these people too much credit. The entire saga of realignment is an endless series of mistakes of both action and inaction. The Big East didn’t think Penn State “added value”. The PAC didn’t think any Big XII teams except Texas were worthy of it. Even OU. Now those schools helped destroy it.

The ACC has a valuable collection of schools and has done a crappy job leveraging it for them. FSU is a bunch of dopes because they are actively reducing the power and leverage of the conference they are in due to their own arrogance. The smart play would be to go all in on the ACC and make sure it survives, grows and becomes more valuable.

Reaction Score
I know we need the money and access to a P5 conference - but - duck the Big 12. I wouldn't want to play most of those schools in basketball. I'm living in the moment and happy we're still in the Big East where we are well positioned to win another NCAAT within the next 5 years. Really looking forward to this season and playing traditional rivals like Providence, St Johns, Nova, Seton Hall, and GTown and being able to actually see UConn play in those away venues. And also looking forward to the inevitable implosion of the ACC and BC getting screwed over when we block their attempted return to the Big East.
Yes you're living in the moment. But like it or not the future is coming. And most of us would like to be a part of it when this moment is over.

Reaction Score
Some interesting things can be done to improve the ACCs situation. I think revising the distribution model to with weighting performance, revenue generation, and reinvestment factors. Consider basketball onlies, also with a weighted distribution model. Or potential BE merger.

Do what they need to do to keep their existing powers while incentivizing others to improve. Even have some provisions that would allow them to remove schools where it’s clear they are only interested in profiting without investing.

Perhaps apply some similar criteria to evaluate potential add candidates. And utilize objective metrics to justify adding teams.
I don't expect the ACC to revise it's distribution model significantly. Why should they? They know Clemson and FSU can't go anywhere for more than a decade and, no matter what the league does, they will jump for more money at the first opportunity. The SUs and BCs might as well suck as much as they can out of the existing structure.

Reaction Score
I imagine that this would depend in large part on the language of the media contracts (broadcast partners may have a say) but hypothetically, if the ACC could, why would they? Why would the school request this unless they would be moving to greener pastures? If they were, logically wouldn't this make the ACC a lesser product? Beyond that, this would set a precedent that could be potentially very dangerous as one of the schools that really does want out could apply for the same deal shortly after the first was completed.
Why would ESPN let FSU go the the B1G and Fox/NBC/CBS? Why would ESPN agree to pay FSU more to play in the SEC and undermine the ACCN that ESPN owns 50%?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom