Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 602 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Right, it's stable - for now. And to be fair, the Big 12 would also not be an "ideal" situation.

The BE allows our two marquee programs the opportunity to win at the highest level and continue to build elite brands.

Indy football at least allows us to keep playing P4-5 schools and get our games on TV. It provides Mora and co a platform to continue building respectability to the program without being tethered to a moribund wasteland conference like the American.

This is not 2011 or 2014. We are not needing to jump from a sinking ship.
Yup we’re just treading water

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Right, it's stable - for now. And to be fair, the Big 12 would also not be an "ideal" situation.

The BE allows our two marquee programs the opportunity to win at the highest level and continue to build elite brands.

Indy football at least allows us to keep playing P4-5 schools and get our games on TV. It provides Mora and co a platform to continue building respectability to the program without being tethered to a moribund wasteland conference like the American.

This is not 2011 or 2014. We are not needing to jump from a sinking ship.
For what it's worth, the big east is terrible for women's basketball. In the big 12 at least they would have some competitive schools to play.

Reaction Score
While I do love the BIG EAST, I put my personal love aside for what's best for UConn. And that's being in the Big 12 (at least for now). So, this morning I created a spreadsheet of email addresses for the Presidents of all BIG 12 schools and emailed them why they would be stupid (not that word of course) to pass on UConn again and why UConn would be a value add addition.

If anyone wants to do the same, DM me and I can share the spreadsheet/emails with you. Maybe these people need to see that there is actualy such thing as passionate fan base north/east of the Mason Dixon. I'm still hearing UConn is confident, but that means nothing in a game of realignment where anything goes.

Reaction Score
Here is my view:

If Utah was going, we would have heard it by now.

I think Benedict putting the sign up and playing around was either a good sign - or a disastrous PR move.

We’ll see tonight. But I think Utah’s preference oreference would still be the same conference.

Think about this, after Oregon and Washington, who is the third best team in that league? They gonna get to a playoff once every 5 years or so while usc/ucla in the bIg 10? Good luck usc beating Ohio State.

Big 12 gonna be harder to make the playoff. Better league.
i really do think that the pac 9 will pull a last minute hail mary and all say they are commited to staying.

Man, what do you think Stanford is doing/saying right now?

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Only conference not talking.

SEC, SEC, SEC...
Could you imagine?! Maybe BY is on to something about the next big monetization in college sports being the basketball side of the house. SEC figures they already have the domination of college football clinched up so they make a power move on basketball. SEC decides to add: UConn, Arizona, Kansas, UNC, Duke, and Virginia. :D

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I don't think Utah is as far along in the process as the Arizona schools. They love the PAC and want to make it work first.

We'll see what happens. If they drag their feet, we've already been vetted and are ready to join.
I’m still hoping you can leave for vacation with a smile on your face.

Reaction Score
Could you imagine?! Maybe BY is on to something about the next big monetization in college sports being the basketball side of the house. SEC figures they already have the domination of college football clinched up so they make a power move on basketball. SEC decides to add: UConn, Arizona, Kansas, UNC, Duke, and Virginia. :D
They really should, throw Nova in as well. They would win every single national championship in football and basketball.

Reaction Score
At this point one of two things will happen:

a.) Pac decides to stay together and Colorado will be the only member that leaves
b.) Pac disbands and Oregon+Washington end up in Big Ten. Arizona, ASU, and Utah end up in the Big 12

I just don't believe that Utah would be left to die, the Big 12 will offer them a lifeline. As far as the Big 12 is concerned, UConn is already dead.

Reaction Score
A little conference history.

BYU and Utah were in the same conference from 1932 until 2011 (Skyline/WAC/MWC).

Utah, BYU, Arizona, and Arizona State were in the WAC together from 1962 to 1978.

Utah, BYU, and TCU were in the WAC together from 1996 to 1999.

Utah, BYU, and TCU were in the MWC together from 2005 to 2011.

So, there is a lot of conference history between BYU, Utah, Arizona, and Arizona St. and some conference history between Utah, BYU, and TCU.

And, here's how many games the 3 remaining corner schools have played against Big 12 or potential Big 12 schools:

Arizona: 96 Arizona St., 47 Utah, 33 Texas Tech, 25 Colorado, 25 BYU

Arizona St.: 96 Arizona, 33 Utah, 28 BYU, 13 Colorado

Utah: 96 BYU, 69 Colorado, 47 Arizona, 33 Arizona St.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Only conference not talking?

SEC, SEC, SEC...
Only conference involved in all this that isn't talking, but yes. The SEC is just sipping bourbon on the front porch.

Mostly it's a feeling that hit me today, but the logic looks like this. ESPN is out of the PAC deal next year. We reliably heard ESPN approved a full payout for UConn to the Big XII. ESPN is looking at what it can capture here and where it wants those properties. If Yormark has persuaded ESPN on UConn's value (and presumably he has given we were approved) then where does ESPN want them? Big XII is getting a basketball boost from UA and Houston. It's weak on the football side. It could use Utah. The ACC hasn't lived up to its basketball promise, and programs like Syracuse and Louisville are down. Is UConn more valuable playing North Carolina and Duke than Kansas and Baylor? Duke already has eyeball pull in NYC. So does Miami. Does playing UConn help revitalize Syracuse hoops? Can UConn and BC play a version of Florida-Georgia at Gillette every year?

The answers to those and other questions, plus the silence as the corner schools generate noise, suggests to me that ESPN would prefer to put UConn in the ACC.

ctchamps

Reaction Score

a.) Pac decides to stay together and Colorado will be the only member that leaves
b.) Pac disbands and Oregon+Washington end up in Big Ten. Arizona, ASU, and Utah end up in the Big 12

I just don't believe that Utah would be left to die, the Big 12 will offer them a lifeline. As far as the Big 12 is concerned, UConn is already dead.
Yormark disagrees.

So does Yormack. And Yomack!

And Yo! Mack!

And Yohoho Mack!

Reaction Score

Why would the Big 12 care about whether Utah dies or not?

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I love the fact you’re getting started on your weekend drinking a day early!!
Bottle of champagne ready for our invite announcement.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom