Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 601 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
The AD Dave Twitter responses are either the replies of a man who is with us (because he is confident) or the replies of a man who is drinking a bottle of scotch in his office because he knows we missed the most important boat of our lives. We just have to figure out which one it is.
My guess is the former. If you follow ADDBs history, he is a bit of a front-runner. During the dark days of Kevin Ollie or Diaco/Edsall, AD David Benedict was no where to be seen and had no interaction with fans/media and went dark. But when UConn is running good , he is very engaged, out there for the fans/media, and interacting with the UConn Twitterati.

So my interpretation on this is that he is very confident in how this will end.

With that being said...so was Herbst/Manual as well. I had heard from an AD source at that time that we were 100% set and were as good as gold in the ACC. But we all know how that turned out!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The AD Dave Twitter responses are either the replies of a man who is with us (because he is confident) or the replies of a man who is drinking a bottle of scotch in his office because he knows we missed the most important boat of our lives. We just have to figure out which one it is.
Don't entirely dismiss that our silence on all of this doesn't indicate that we may soon be added to a conference that is also being silent.

Reaction Score
With our luck

Big 12 adds:
Arizona
Arizona St
Utah

Big 10 adds:
Oregon
Washington

Pac 12 remaining 4 gets to 16 by adding:
All of MW
Hawaii

Big West backfills with:
Sac St

Realignment shuts down again until the Big 3 conferences are ready to consume the ACC like they did the PAC.

Rule #1 of realignment destroys the UConn fanbase again.
total bs if sac state gets in over us!

Reaction Score
Don't entirely dismiss that our silence on all of this doesn't indicate that we may soon be added to a conference that is also being silent.
This is possible - or that they're taking a different strategy.

Don't forget that staying in the Big East for basketball and playing Indy football for another 3-5 years is not necessarily a bad thing. Dave & Co. put us on stable ground to sustain external realignment moves that didn't involve us.

Reaction Score
eventually the music will stop. with each passing round, the hill for a g5 school to get in becomes steeper.
lol it's been going on for 20 years now, it ain't stopping.

and the funny part is - if it "stops" it'll likely end up in the courts under some kind of monopoly lawsuit.

Reaction Score
lol it's been going on for 20 years now, it ain't stopping.

and the funny part is - if it "stops" it'll likely end up in the courts under some kind of monopoly lawsuit.
i was thinking that as well. if washington state, oregon state and uconn want in and are willing to invest like a p5 school, why can't they file an antitrust with the government. i mean, on wall street, lina kahn blocks mergers/acquistions that are far less egrigious.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
My guess is the former. If you follow ADDBs history, he is a bit of a front-runner. During the dark days of Kevin Ollie or Diaco/Edsall, AD David Benedict was no where to be seen and had no interaction with fans/media and went dark. But when UConn is running good , he is very engaged, out there for the fans/media, and interacting with the UConn Twitterati.

So my interpretation on this is that he is very confident in how this will end.

With that being said...so was Herbst/Manual as well. I had heard from an AD source at that time that we were 100% set and were as good as gold in the ACC. But we all know how that turned out!
Manuel was talking about a box of donuts. He was very confident how that would that would end.

Reaction Score

Don't forget that staying in the Big East for basketball and playing Indy football for another 3-5 years is not necessarily a bad thing. Dave & Co. put us on stable ground to sustain external realignment moves that didn't involve us.
It isn't necessarily ideal, but far from a bad near-term position.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
We already missed the most important boat of our lives.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I have no doubt rule #1 will prevail.

I'm just hanging on to see how the script screws us over this time. I'm hoping for something with a twist at least.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

We will see. I just remember how silence has played out in the past. How public the Big XII was last time. Some kind of "Spidey-Sense" is telling me it's the ACC for us, not the Big XII. Yormark made us look attractive, no matter what else has happened.

Reaction Score
If AU, ASU and UU are joining the Big 12 tomorrow, and the AZ Regents are meeting tonight to rubber stamp it, wouldn't that mean that the Utah Regents would also need to meet tonight? I haven't seen anything on them meeting unless they recently had a meeting?

The only meetings I've seen for tonight are Arizona and Washington.

Reaction Score
If AU, ASU and UU are joining the Big 12 tomorrow, and the AZ Regents are meeting tonight to rubber stamp it, wouldn't that mean that the Utah Regents would also need to meet tonight? I haven't seen anything on them meeting unless they recently had a meeting?

Given how/uninvolved and far behind they have been along with openly dissing the BIG12 up to now it highly unlikely they had any meetings leading up to this ....so one would think you are on to something...

Reaction Score

Could be that since UT is the least motivated to move, they are not bringing the decision to their board until both AZ schools vote.

Reaction Score

Don't come here spouting facts man

Reaction Score

Why would AU or ASU care about Utah?

Reaction Score
Why would AU or ASU care about Utah?

One of the previous posts was a tweet that said all 3 are joining the Big 12 tomorrow. Arizona Regents meet tonight to supposedly rubber stamp the move, but there is no meeting of the Utah Regents scheduled so far. The Utah Regents would need to approve this first, so it is hard to see how they can join tomorrow like the original tweet said. Unless Utah has different rules for how this works there.

Reaction Score
It isn't necessarily ideal, but far from a bad near-term position.
Right, it's stable - for now. And to be fair, the Big 12 would also not be an "ideal" situation.

The BE allows our two marquee programs the opportunity to win at the highest level and continue to build elite brands.

Indy football at least allows us to keep playing P4-5 schools and get our games on TV. It provides Mora and co a platform to continue building respectability to the program without being tethered to a moribund wasteland conference like the American.

This is not 2011 or 2014. We are not needing to jump from a sinking ship.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
One of the previous posts was a tweet that said all 3 are joining the Big 12 tomorrow. Arizona Regents meet tonight to supposedly rubber stamp the move, but there is no meeting of the Utah Regents scheduled so far. The Utah Regents would need to approve this first, so it is hard to see how they can join tomorrow like the original tweet said. Unless Utah has different rules for how this works there.
I don't think Utah is as far along in the process as the Arizona schools. They love the PAC and want to make it work first.

We'll see what happens. If they drag their feet, we've already been vetted and are ready to join.

Reaction Score
Here is my view:

If Utah was going, we would have heard it by now.

I think Benedict putting the sign up and playing around was either a good sign - or a disastrous PR move.

We’ll see tonight. But I think Utah’s preference oreference would still be the same conference.

Think about this, after Oregon and Washington, who is the third best team in that league? They gonna get to a playoff once every 5 years or so while usc/ucla in the bIg 10? Good luck usc beating Ohio State.

Big 12 gonna be harder to make the playoff. Better league.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom