Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 529 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Why so?
Maybe not, B12 thinking they can hit a Grand Slam, and when they are finished, we are still there, and they take us in. Our greatest value was as a threat to the Pac10 schools. B12 and Yormark going to reward us when all other adds are made

Reaction Score
I have a bit of a different perspective on this. I don't think Colorado (and possibly Arizona) are running to the Big12 as much as they are running away from the PAC. It's quite probable they are doing so because they feel that the departures from the PAC are not over. The loss of USC and UCLA were absolutely huge and if you believe some combination of Cal., Stanford, Oregon, Utah and Washington are at risk, then you have to make the move. Now couple that with the eventual departures from the ACC as the GOR nears expiration and conferences on both coasts are in upheaval.

This is going to be a long game and UCONN probably doesn't move this year. But within the next ten years there will be the BiG and SEC at a different level than everyone else (at least in terms of money). My hope is that the other conferences will restructure along some lines of regional alliances.

FWIW, if the choice for the Big12 is between Arizona and UCONN I don't see UCONN winning that bake off.

Reaction Score
I have a bit of a different perspective on this. I don't think Colorado (and possibly Arizona) are running to the Big12 as much as they are running away from the PAC. It's quite probable they are doing so because they feel that the departures from the PAC are not over. The loss of USC and UCLA were absolutely huge and if you believe some combination of Cal., Stanford, Oregon, Utah and Washington are at risk, then you have to make the move. Now couple that with the eventual departures from the ACC as the GOR nears expiration and conferences on both coasts are in upheaval.

This is going to be a long game and UCONN probably doesn't move this year. But within the next ten years there will be the BiG and SEC at a different level than everyone else (at least in terms of money). My hope is that the other conferences will restructure along some lines of regional alliances.

FWIW, if the choice for the Big12 is between Arizona and UCONN I don't see UCONN winning that bake off.
If the choice is UConn vs any PAC school (minus maybe WSU or OSU) we are out. Our advantage, if you can call it that, is that any more PAC defections likely destroys that conference. Feels similar to the OBE football situation. I truly believe we need to hope the PAC gets a decent media rights deal and survives.

Reaction Score
Why does it have to be either or? I truly don't follow the numerical scheduling arguments(12 v13, 16 v 15), but wouldn't you add value for values sake? UConn has significant value, and FB will succeed.

Reaction Score
We also need to know what FOX would give us, specifically, in an addition scenario. We know they went pro-rata for P5's, but we're likely not.

I was thinking about this... I believe ESPN is paying $20 mil per Big 12 school, and FOX is paying $11.9 mil per Big 12 school. Let's say FOX was gonna pay $7 mil per school for the new Big East contract with UCONN (pay raise due to inflation/UConn's addition/extra content/good ratings). So paying pro-rata for a Big 12 UConn would only end of being $5 mil more than they were gonna pay for a BE UConn (without football). FOX can then pay a UConn-less BE $6 mil per school, saving them an extra $10 mil per year, which more than makes up for the $ difference and having to split content with ESPN.

Reaction Score
If the choice is UConn vs any PAC school (minus maybe WSU or OSU) we are out. Our advantage, if you can call it that, is that any more PAC defections likely destroys that conference. Feels similar to the OBE football situation. I truly believe we need to hope the PAC gets a decent media rights deal and survives.

Agree. The problem is why would the PAC get a good deal at this point? The Big12 at least offers a level of certainty that the PAC cannot offer at this point.

It's interesting to me that California is something like the 10th largest economy in the WORLD and it loves college football. The BiG waltzed in and gobbled up the premier end of that market and I don't think their done. As an aside, there is little doubt that the SEC and BiG have their eyes set on FLA, NC, and Virginia and will pounce as soon as there is a workable solution to the GOR with the ACC.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Agree. The problem is why would the PAC get a good deal at this point? The Big12 at least offers a level of certainty that the PAC cannot offer at this point.

It's interesting to me that California is something like the 10th largest economy in the WORLD and it loves college football. The BiG waltzed in and gobbled up the premier end of that market and I don't think their done. As an aside, there is little doubt that the SEC and BiG have their eyes set on FLA, NC, and Virginia and will pounce as soon as there is a workable solution to the GOR with the ACC.
The SEC already has a presence in Florida. I do fully believe however that they've wanted a presence in Virginia and North Carolina (the two southern states where the Southeast conference doesn't have member schools) for a while.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I was thinking about this... I believe ESPN is paying $20 mil per Big 12 school, and FOX is paying $11.9 mil per Big 12 school. Let's say FOX was gonna pay $7 mil per school for the new Big East contract with UCONN (pay raise due to inflation/UConn's addition/extra content/good ratings). So paying pro-rata for a Big 12 UConn would only end of being $5 mil more than they were gonna pay for a BE UConn (without football). FOX can then pay a UConn-less BE $6 mil per school, saving them an extra $10 mil per year, which more than makes up for the $ difference and having to split content with ESPN.
This is exactly the thought process. It is the same engine that drove the ESPN big east raids.

huskidork

bailey
Reaction Score
This is very true unfortunately. If you go on Twitter everyone is crapping on anything UConn and Big 12 related because of our football program. We did ourselves no favors with how awful we've been over the last decade. There are people I've seen on there, idiots to be fair, that think the likes of SMU, Memphis, Tulane, UNLV, USF, ECU, etc. would be better additions to a P5 conference than we would be. That's how far our reputation has fallen. The way we fix this perception problem is we continue building on what Jim Mora did in year one and consistently start having winning seasons again. Slowly but surely people will notice.
omg imagine thinking UNLV, ECU, SMU, and USF especially are better programs lol

Reaction Score
The SEC already has a presence in Florida. I do fully believe however that they've wanted a presence in Virginia and North Carolina (the two southern states where the Southeast conference doesn't have member schools) for a while.

I realize that, but FSU wants out and I think they have the clout to get out. The SEC will not want the BiG in Florida so I think FSU ends up in the SEC much to the dismay of Gator fans.

huskidork

bailey
Reaction Score
But that never made sense from the start. Why would the B12 quickly add UConn when Wash Ore Ariz were still on the board?
Washington and Oregon want nothing to do with the B12 imo, they would rather have uneven revenue sharing for a few more years in a dying PAC or do what Notre Dame is doing than ever joining the B12, somewhat the same with Utah although I think if the PAC is dead (Ore and Wash leave) they'd change up and join the B12, which is why I think we will at the very least be the 3rd team added along side ASU and Arizona.

Reaction Score
A lot of this is haters from schools like Memphis, ECU, USF, and fans of teams like Cincinnati and UCF who have yet to play a game as a P5 school.
Fortunately, Yormak has said he’s more interested in what programs can become, rather than what they’ve been. Any state that doesn’t produce a ton of football players will always be at the mercy of who is their coach. There is a long way to fall when you don’t reside in fertile recruiting grounds. USC under achieving looks a lot different than Colorado underachieving.
Utah has hired well and reaped the benefits. One bad hire and they drop like an anchor. Current football success should count for something, but you’d hope people think long-term with their decisions. Is doubling down on southern Arizona a good long term investment? Maybe we are in a climate aberration, but those temps for well over a month are insane.

Reaction Score
Some or all of those programs have applied to the PAC for membership and may end up being P5 while UConn remains G5. Now that's a sickening thought!
P5 would become P4 and G5 become G6

Reaction Score
Some or all of those programs have applied to the PAC for membership and may end up being P5 while UConn remains G5. Now that's a sickening thought!
If ECU can apply and Rutgers will be playing USC/UCLA why can't UConn apply to PAC#?

Reaction Score
I think the only one with a chance is SMU because of academics

Reaction Score
Fortunately, Yormak has said he’s more interested in what programs can become, rather than what they’ve been. Any state that doesn’t produce a ton of football players will always be at the mercy of who is their coach. There is a long way to fall when you don’t reside in fertile recruiting grounds. USC under achieving looks a lot different than Colorado underachieving.
Utah has hired well and reaped the benefits. One bad hire and they drop like an anchor. Current football success should count for something, but you’d hope people think long-term with their decisions. Is doubling down on southern Arizona a good long term investment? Maybe we are in a climate aberration, but those temps for well over a month are insane.
Funny, Big 12 is forward thinking and ACC and PAC are not.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
some of us on boneyard tried to warn others that the football program was awful in the 2010s and it would impact future options for uconn. we were criticized at the time for not being blindly loyal. thankfully, mora is here now and i have great faith in him.
Post Handle

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Meh, I'm kind of used to it at this point.

CR#1

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlueWolf25

Top Bottom