Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 506 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score

Stockholm syndrome describes the psychological condition of a fanbase which identifies with and empathizes with their detractors or abuser during realignment. Stockholm syndrome is rare; according to one FBI study, the condition occurs in about 1 fanbase: UConn.
Storrsholm Syndrome

Reaction Score
Even insiders with hard facts are not to be trusted in this kind of scenario. Any school can shoehorn themselves into UConn's spot (we all remember Louisville).

If I were running Cal-Irvine, I'd start a D1 football team from scratch, and I'd join the Pac12 if they'd have me. I'd use the Rose Bowl or Anaheim Stadium for games.

Reaction Score
From Thamel:

The other Big 12 target that has undergone serious vetting is Connecticut. There's been significant conversation between the sides, and Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark's steadfast belief in the market, the donor support and college basketball being undervalued would align with the Huskies coming aboard. There's also a belief UConn football has turned the corner under Jim Mora after a 6-7 bowl season in 2022.

It's uncertain, however, where the internal support among Big 12 membership to invite UConn to join a league that's anchored by football-forward schools in the Texas footprint stretching north. (Some of which happen to play elite basketball.) For UConn, the monetary difference, even at a reduced rate initially, would appear to be too much to resist. The 11 Big East schools get in the neighborhood of $4 million annually in television money.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
A couple of things:

Worrying, crying, getting angry or frustrated, screaming or even punching walls won't do anything. Things could fall into place or they could fall apart. We should have our answer within a few days but as there may be a couple new complications, it may take up to a week or so. It will or it will not happen regardless of how we behave so we may as well relax until we hear the answer.

I personally don't believe that Kliavkoff could have handled this any worse than he has and this is now hurting our chances. He's like a guy trying to sell a load of ice on a hot day, asks for a price beyond what he could reasonably expect and the ice keeps melting as he waits for someone to meet his price. There is less and less reason to remain in the P-12 for most members and evidently (this was stated about Colorado's departure) they can leave earlier than what would be a normal time frame and not be on the hook for a departure fee. This is similar to the Oklahoma land grab from 130+ years ago.

Reaction Score
I don’t have ESPN+ to read this article so I assume this tweet is a quote from within:

There you have it. UConn will be added at a reduced rate. It’s a compromise that will make everyone happy. Yormack will win, the football heavy schools can justify it. UConn hoops and the NyC market is a gold mine. Hurley and Benedict to address it to the boosters on sat. It’s all lining up.

Reaction Score
Yes. Lets not take 20 million, we are perfectly fine with our 5 million. Think. This wouldn't be forever.
It obviously depends on how reduced it is. If it's $28mm vs $32mm then whatever. If it's $16mm vs $32mm then that's a different conversation.

Reaction Score
I don’t have ESPN+ to read this article so I assume this tweet is a quote from within:

There you have it. UConn will be added at a reduced rate. It’s a compromise that will make everyone happy. Yormack will win, the football heavy schools can jus
This doesn't say that at all and UConn would NEVER take a reduced rate
want to bet?

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
There you have it. UConn will be added at a reduced rate. It’s a compromise that will make everyone happy. Yormack will win, the football heavy schools can justify it. UConn hoops and the NyC market is a gold mine. Hurley and Benedict to address it to the boosters on sat. It’s all lining up.
It doesn’t say that we won’t get a full share (and I’m not saying that we will right away — that’s TBD if we get the invite). It’s saying that Yormark sees our brand as undervalued and things that we will be additive as members of the Big 12

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
Never mind. Now I see the full quote from the post above mine.

If taking a reduced rate for a few years is our offer, we should take it.

Reaction Score
It doesn’t say that we won’t get a full share (and I’m not saying that we will right away — that’s TBD if we get the invite). It’s saying that Yormark sees our brand as undervalued and things that we will be additive as members of the Big 12
Is 16 million more than 5 million? The new AAC schools are gettin 19 year 1.

Reaction Score
This doesn't say that at all and UConn would NEVER take a reduced rate

On a transition basis? Of course it would. Anyone who thought we were going to get paid more out of the gate than the four schools who they took over us just a year ago isn't making sense.

That having been said, I remain where I was from day one -- this is unlikely to happen because it still doesn't make sense from the Big XII's perspective. You don't have to argue with me about what we bring -- I know what we bring. Yormak may want us, but we are in the conversation as bait to force reluctant Pac members to jump now.

I hope I'm wrong. But I still haven't seen anything that convinces me that I am.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
Is 16 million more than 5 million? The new AAC schools are gettin 19 year 1.
I think we’re on the same page.

I was reacting to DJCT’s response to my post (in a vacuum) which didn’t mention anything about a reduced payout. Didn’t see the post above with the additional quote about lower payout.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
We would likely come in at the same rate as UCF etc., not getting a full share immediately but down the road. Just my opinion.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You appear to be the proud owner of a 'jump-to-conclusions' mat having posted this same thing in 2 threads in 5 minutes. Chill out. It will happen or it won't, but nobody knows anything right now.
Mrw GIF

Reaction Score
This. A reduced rate will calm the masses and allow our football team to grow. I wholeheartedly believe UConn football can be relevant. This is a start.
I don’t see a reduced rate from T.V. money as it’s been widely reported that we will be treated as a P5 by ESPN and Fox and paid pro-rata. I could see less in league disbursements, especially for football for a few years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom