Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 489 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I have nothing to base this on- but my guess is that after this P12/B12 tug of war settles there will be two to three years of quiet and then we will get a grand announcement that a great bargain has been agreed upon with the ACC GOR terminating early freeing up four to six schools to leave and then the remnants merge with the PAC to make a two coast conf of about 14 to 16 schools. The SEC and B1G grow to perhaps 20 and the B12 and new PAC-ACC cement themselves as second tier. Not that it won’t be clear before this moment- but whatever quaking and shaking will be over and a new peace will settle in that will last perhaps a decade before things change again.
Yormack is too aggressive and proactive to let that happen. He'll do everything he can to be the first to twenty and I'm sure he's working alongside one of the networks on this goal. He's not going to compete with the BIG or the SEC to be number one in football. He just has to maintain relevancy - that is be the third or fourth best football conference. But if he is able to make the B12 the overwhelming superior basketball conference than he can be the third spoke in any power play by aligning with one or the other of the two stronger conferences to get better deals. If he gloms the best of the basketball power houses that are currently available or almost available and if he has the backing of a network then when the ACC implodes it may not be a given that North Carolina and Virginia will be heading to the BIG.

North Carolina is most certainly a basketball first university and going to the BIG makes them a small fish in a big football pond. In the B12 North Carolina and Virginia would be among the biggest fish in the basketball pond. Remember North Carolina argued strongly for UConn but the football powerhouses of Clemson and Florida State vetoed that option. They may still have a bad taste from that experience. No doubt that if the financial differential that currently exists remains when the ACC breaks down then this won't be a consideration.

What has puzzled me from the start is how Yormack got such an incredible financial deal after Texas and Oklahoma announced they were leaving. The only thing that makes sense is that he approached a network on some idea that was an advantage to both the B12 and that network. And he had the cache within that network such that they believe he can pull it off. I do not know which network could benefit by increasing some of the B12's power at the expense of the BIG but I would like to hear other explanations why the B12 is getting so much money.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm going to upset many here by saying this but MSG is nowhere near being a home game for UConn. We draw good there but it really hasn't felt like we have dominated MSG since the 2014 East Regional vs. Michigan St.

I don't get why UConn or any UConn fans would want conference home games moved to MSG. Why should we have to go out to Lawerence Kansas or Waco Texas but they can't come to Storrs or Hartford?
For the record, no where in the quoted tweet does it say conference home games. It just says a Connecticut will host some games there. Perhaps will host them in some form of the big 12 tournament?

Reaction Score
I agree this is the best CR board. The Oklahoma one is fine, but still lends itself to trolls. I believe one of them, okielite, was banned on this board. He’s been banned on the Oklahoma board at least twice, but changed his handle. Still trolling away. The other one, Buckaineer was banned on this board as well. He cowardly left the Oklahoma board when Oklahoma and Texas left the Big 12.

I think outsiders have to acknowledge that this is also a fan board, and be a respectful guest. Something that the above were not able to do on this board, any many others from what I understand.

Anyway, information seems to find its way here almost as soon as it happens.
Okie Lite and Buckaineer are two legendary trolls. I remember Okie Lite back from when Land Thieves was active (Laffin) Buck was all over the old WVU Scout CR Board. That board had both The Dude(Atomic Noodle) and Mhver as well. Memories…

Reaction Score
For the record, no where in the quoted tweet does it say conference home games. It just says a Connecticut will host some games there. Perhaps will host them in some form of the big 12 tournament?
I assume it’s conference games because I believe Houston gave up their home game vs Kansas to play in Mexico.

Reaction Score
It's important to remember that if UConn were to join the B12 (from what I've heard from someone inside the athletic department, it is happening and end of August is timeline I was given for when it would become public - but, as we know all too well, nothing is a given until it is), this decision wasn't just made by AD David Benedict in a vacuum.

Many people were involved in it, including the coaches. So any fear of MBB taking a step back and Hurley not supporting the move is poppycock. No doubt football is important, but the UConn basketball brand is too valuable for a decision to be made prematurely again. I personally do not think they would make the move if they were worried about basketball suffering. No one wants to go through that circus again especially now that UConn basketball is back on top after some very dark years.

I'm pretty confident UConn to the B12 is a near formality. When I pressed the individual as to why they are so confident an invite would be forthcoming, I was told because of the way those on the inside are talking (which is why you see Mora telling recruits UConn is going to B12). But again, until when/if it happens, I'm too scorned by the ACC rejecting UConn twice and the B12 once before to believe anything until I see an announcement from the B12 itself.

Reaction Score
Thats a little different. That’s tradition.
Well, The ConFlict at the Meadowlands presented by Bob Diaco sounds pretty good to me. Make it a tradition even. I'll fly in for it. Seriously, in a scenario like that UConn could still get 6 homes games a year, plus the neutral site, with help from the conference.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I assume it’s conference games because I believe Houston gave up their home game vs Kansas to play in Mexico.
Sometimes you have to give a little to get a lot. Once upon a time there was a 6 game series in football with Notre Dame in the works. People cried that the home games should be at the Rent (myself included), and the series went bye bye. We need to learn from our mistakes.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Meh the Yankees used to have some games on the CW. I don't see what the big deal is.
I don’t think I have the CW and I’m pretty sure I’m paying for everything lol

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sometimes you have to give a little to get a lot. Once upon a time there was a 6 game series in football with Notre Dame in the works. People cried that the home games should be at the Rent (myself included), and the series went bye bye. We need to learn from our mistakes.
10 games, if I recall correctly. I always thought the happy medium would've been to extend it to 12 games, or even 14 and squeeze a couple of games at Rentschler field in there. But you're right, hindsight is 20/20.

Reaction Score
Meh the Yankees used to have some games on the CW. I don't see what the big deal is.
No. The Yankees did not have a deal with the CW network, which is what the tweet said. They had a deal with the local station that was a CW affiliate to broadcast a small number of games over the air LOCALLY in NYC for folks who didn't or couldn't get cable.

Reaction Score
I don’t think I have the CW and I’m pretty sure I’m paying for everything lol
I think they've gotten into some contract disputes with certain carriers and I think some carriers dropped them for a time. They're probably making deals like this so people complain to their cable company and get them added back.

Reaction Score
IIRC, it had more to do with our contract with the Rent of a min of 6 home games per year. It could’ve potentially happened if we had 7 home games a year consistently but there was no appetite to alter the contract by the state.
I don't remember the details but that should have never fallen apart like it did.

Reaction Score
No. The Yankees did not have a deal with the CW network, which is what the tweet said. They had a deal with the local station that was a CW affiliate to broadcast a small number of games over the air LOCALLY in NYC for folks who didn't or couldn't get cable.
Ok whatever same difference. The games were on a CW channel, and it was available via cable. So if you are in ACC country and get the equivalent to channel 11 then you can see the game. I don't see it as being any different than SNY or CBSSN

Reaction Score
Angry Aubrey Plaza GIF by Parks and Recreation

No. I hate them all. Every last one of them.
That post was about Pitt. It was the Pitt President who recommended vetoing the ESPN offer. That started the chain of events. Meanwhile, he was working behind everyone's back to leave the Big East. Talk about backstabbing!

Reaction Score
Ok whatever same difference. The games were on a CW channel, and it was available via cable. So if you are in ACC country and get the equivalent to channel 11 then you can see the game. I don't see it as being any different than SNY or CBSSN
NO, you are totally missing the point. The ACC deal is to show games on the CW network nationwide. The Yankees games were broadcast on Channel 11 in NY. They were not broadcast nationwide on the CW network. It's no different than Channel 3 showing a UConn victory parade without that meaning that it's being shown on the CBS network nationwide.

Reaction Score
Yormack is too aggressive and proactive to let that happen. He'll do everything he can to be the first to twenty and I'm sure he's working alongside one of the networks on this goal. He's not going to compete with the BIG or the SEC to be number one in football. He just has to maintain relevancy - that is be the third or fourth best football conference. But if he is able to make the B12 the overwhelming superior basketball conference than he can be the third spoke in any power play by aligning with one or the other of the two stronger conferences to get better deals. If he gloms the best of the basketball power houses that are currently available or almost available and if he has the backing of a network then when the ACC implodes it may not be a given that North Carolina and Virginia will be heading to the BIG.

North Carolina is most certainly a basketball first university and going to the BIG makes them a small fish in a big football pond. In the B12 North Carolina and Virginia would be among the biggest fish in the basketball pond. Remember North Carolina argued strongly for UConn but the football powerhouses of Clemson and Florida State vetoed that option. They may still have a bad taste from that experience. No doubt that if the financial differential that currently exists remains when the ACC breaks down then this won't be a consideration.

What has puzzled me from the start is how Yormack got such an incredible financial deal after Texas and Oklahoma announced they were leaving. The only thing that makes sense is that he approached a network on some idea that was an advantage to both the B12 and that network. And he had the cache within that network such that they believe he can pull it off. I do not know which network could benefit by increasing some of the B12's power at the expense of the BIG but I would like to hear other explanations why the B12 is getting so much money.

Virginia and UNC are locks to the big 10 if the acc falls apart. Texas and Oklahoma have shown that being a big fish in a small pond is worth less than 100 million a year.

As for the B12 tv deal, part of it is that they are offering networks 20% more inventory than before. Add in the inflation in sport tv deals since the previous contract was signed, it's not hard to get to the $32 million figure they ended up at.

The real genius from Yormack was getting the contract done before the PAC 12. It removed demand/money from the market and offered certainty to the league.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom