Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 369 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
The problem is that no football conference is interested in a program with our history and lack of fan support. We’re not going to put up a few good seasons and suddenly have conferences begging us to join them when there’s a bad history behind those few good seasons. We actually had developed into a pretty good program during the expansion 10 years ago and we were passed over. That’s not suddenly going to change. Just look who the Bug XII turned to after they lost Texas and Oklahoma.
Remember, the B1G added rutgers. UCONN has many of the pieces which make it an attractive addition including state flagship, academics, power buget, market and multiple championships in multiple sports. The winning could and most certainly would come later just as it did when it joined the BCS Big East.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
Remember, the B1G added rutgers. UCONN has many of the pieces which make it an attractive addition including state flagship, academics, power buget, market and multiple championships in multiple sports. The winning could and most certainly would come later just as it did when it joined the BCS Big East.
Agreed, but I would also say history and success narratives are kind of fickle. If Mora comes in here and wins 4-5 games in year one, it will get attention and a positive feeling around the program. Fleeting, nebulous good feelings about football programs is the cornerstone of how realignment works

Reaction Score
Agreed, but I would also say history and success narratives are kind of fickle. If Mora comes in here and wins 4-5 games in year one, it will get attention and a positive feeling around the program. Fleeting, nebulous good feelings about football programs is the cornerstone of how realignment works
FSU is in the realignment discussion without a recent winning record

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UConn football official instagram account reposted the tweet. At this point I think it’s just wishful thinking and everyone attempting to will it to finally happen, but after nearly 20 years of this I’m not holding my breath.
View attachment 77541
It’s pretty much the same energy as “Lil Jimmy would have made the Little League team if the other kids weren’t so afraid of how good he is.”

Reaction Score
It’s pretty much the same energy as “Lil Jimmy would have made the Little League team if the other kids weren’t so afraid of how good he is.”
"...if the other kids' parents weren't so afraid of how good he is." parents looking out for their own kids' best interest is not unprecedented.

Reaction Score
Connecticut governors making public statements about UConn in conference realignment is always so cringe.
I don't mind him making a statement, but the one he made was just dumb. I would have liked to hear a statement of how he is in talks with ESPN regarding UConn's future.

CL82

Reaction Score
I don't mind him making a statement, but the one he made was just dumb. I would have liked to hear a statement of how he is in talks with ESPN regarding UConn's future.
Or something like “the University of Connecticut competes against the very best institutions in the country both academically and athletically. We have a proud tradition of success both on the field and the basketball court and in the classroom. I fully expect that we will to continue to compete at the highest levels.”

Reaction Score
You’re not being objective. Rutgers is the flag ship of a state with almost 10 million people vs UConn in a state with about 40% of NJ’s population. Rutgers is AAU and has a research budget that is much larger than UConn’s. The B1G is a research consortium as well as a sports conference, which is why they value AAU and research $$$. The B1G did a study 20 years ago of universities which are most similar to B1G universities. Rutgers was at the top of the list. They had been bird dogging Rutgers for a long time before they invited them. Twenty years ago we were just bringing our football into 1A and weren’t even in Big East Football yet. We were playing catch up and in many ways we still are.

With all that said, if the B1G were making its decision today, I don’t know that Rutgers would get an invite. The emphasis seems to have shifted from a school’s market to its brand. If a school can deliver eyeballs to regardless of its market size, that seems to be what matters most. Our football program doesn’t deliver that.

Reaction Score
FSU is in the realignment discussion without a recent winning record
We have no idea who’s in the conversations that matter. Social media and sports writers can put out all kinds of speculation, but those aren’t the conversations that matter.

CL82

Reaction Score
You’re not being objective. Rutgers is the flag ship of a state with almost 10 million people vs UConn in a state with about 40% of NJ’s population. Rutgers is AAU and has a research budget that is much larger than UConn’s. The B1G is a research consortium as well as a sports conference, which is why they value AAU and research $$$. The B1G did a study 20 years ago of universities which are most similar to B1G universities. Rutgers was at the top of the list. They had been bird dogging Rutgers for a long time before they invited them. Twenty years ago we were just bringing our football into 1A and weren’t even in Big East Football yet. We were playing catch up and in many ways we still are.

With all that said, if the B1G were making its decision today, I don’t know that Rutgers would get an invite. The emphasis seems to have shifted from a school’s market to its brand. If a school can deliver eyeballs to regardless of its market size, that seems to be what matters most. Our football program doesn’t deliver that.
Rutgers got the Big Ten invite solely because it allowed the Big Ten to charge a tier 1 premium for households within the NYCDMA. No one in the big 10 was interested in RU for its research prowess, or for “looking like a big 10 school“, which, having been on campus often, I can tell you it does not. As you allude to, the fact that New Jersey has the population density of New Delhi also enhanced its application. The Rutgers invite was a money grab pure and simple. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but let’s not pretend it was something else.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Rutgers got the Big Ten invite solely because it allowed the Big Ten to charge a tier 1 premium for households within the NYCDMA. No one in the big 10 was interested in RU for its research prowess, or for “looking like a big 10 school“, which, having been on campus often, I can tell you it does not. As you allude to, the fact that New Jersey has the population density of New Delhi also enhanced its application. The Rutgers invite was a money grab pure and simple. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but let’s not pretend it was something else.

There are are reasons, but they really aren’t Rutgers related. The size of the state, NYC eyeballs and AAU status are most definitely factors, but so is the fact that they play right next door to NYC. There are so many alumni in the area. Michigan, OSU, PSU and Indiana all gave huge alumni bases in NYC. These are the donating kind of alumni. Being able to hold events before and after games is a huge benefit to these schools. And if you don’t think OSU and Michigan carry more weight than some of the other schools, you would be mistaken.

Reaction Score

My comment regarding rutty was addressing the level of football success, but I agree with your assessment. Still, UCONN checks all the other boxes and will B1G come begging for us? No. But UCONN is still worthy of a look by the big conferences.

Reaction Score
Or something like “the University of Connecticut competes against the very best institutions in the country both academically and athletically. We have a proud tradition of success both on the field and the basketball court and in the classroom. I fully expect that we will to continue to compete at the highest levels.”
That sounds like Susan Herbst.

Reaction Score
That part is actually not true as I have recently found out.
Agree. The ACC GoR says any new school must sign the GoR to be accepted. That would not affect the status of current members.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom