Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 367 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Sorry Billy, football and the American are not why UConn bball struggled for years. I know many prefer this narrative...but it's nonsense. Kevin Ollie is why UConn bball struggled. Not sure why it's hard to see this and just root for UConn to have good sports in good situations across the board.

Having seton hall and providence fans at the xL (I guess i'll take your word those fans were bolstering bball attendance in the old BE) is not worth knee capping football. It's actually not worth much of anything.

And yes, there have been some bball only teams that have experienced some success in recent years, but this is a much harder path than the teams that have P3/4/5 football because...money.

Also I wouldn't buy stock in Villanova post Jay Wright, or ever want to be Loyola Chicago. We'll see how Gonzaga does in an NIL world where USC can offer Few seven million a year. We'll also see if Wright stays retired.
Every Big East Basketball Program to leave the Big East has entered an immediate period of decline. Every one of them. BC is dead. Pitt is Dead. Syracuse is holding on from its HOF coach and its ability to recruit nationally but its in decline. Lousiville went 13-19 last year.

The Big East became the preeminent conference in college basketball because its geographically overlaid with the biggest hot bed of basketball talent in the country; the i95 corridor from Boston to the DMV.

Recruits want to play against other top talent, to be on tv, to be prepared for the NBA and to have family be able to travel to see them play in person.

When you lose games against SHU, SJU, Nova and PC and start playing in Texas, you stop recruiting kids from New Jersey, NYC and Philly.

No more Ben Gordon. No More Taliek Brown. No More Kemba Walker. No More Shabazz Napier. No More Kevin Freeman.

Ollie is half the puzzle. There's no doubt. But to dismiss the impact of leaving the conference is to ignore heaps of evidence.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

It sounds like everyone is sniffing around for new conferences and new members

I thought this was an interesting tidbit:

In addition, the ACC has fielded calls from interested schools, including Memphis, one source said. Multiple sources in the league kept coming back to the same central question: "Where is the financial value?"

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I think, as others have said, NBC may keep NDU and try to get a piece of the B1G contract for other games when NDU is on the road and not on NBC.
My guess is that when UNDdL does decide to negotiate a buyout of the GOR the idea will be to have NBC partner with the B1G/Fox on broadcasts of all sports

Reaction Score

They don't need to make any moves right away. Still digesting their new additions. Until or unless the B1G moves into their regional footprint everything stays the same and they can enjoy being top dog in football and get handsomely paid for it. Now if the B1G adds ND and goes after UNC, Clemson, GT or Virginia you could see a couple of additions. But they would be unlikely to add more than 1 Florida school given UF's presence. Miami gives a regional presence in a large market but still not imperative. There are a lot of financial and legal barriers to raiding the ACC right now. Maybe in a couple of years the B1G and SEC can explore those options but it's a lot of work to take on if you don't need to. Right now the action would seem to be centered on the PAC and Big12. They have great incentive to make moves.

Reaction Score
If money being brought from new TV deals is enough to offer non-rev teams charter flights, a trip from LA to original B1G territory, one that would likely knock out two or three teams in one, could span a similar time frame as a non-chartered trip from LA to Washington. What charter flights would likely eliminate is time spent in the airport, getting through security and baggage claim waits. Though it's clear more travel time will be added across the board, it may not be as bad as initially thought.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score

I really feel like this is the best move for them. OSU and WSU are less “negatives” than 3 of the 4 just added by the Big12. Washington and Oregon playing their instate rivals every year is clearly more appealing than traveling to play UCF and Cincy.

PAC would probably be an ideal landing spot for a few Big12 teams. Take Texas Tech + Oklahoma State and Kansas + TCU if they want to get to the size of the ACC.

Let the rest of the Big12 go rot away in obscurity. Leaving college football with 2 power conferences, 2 “next best” conferences and the rest.

Reaction Score
Every Big East Basketball Program to leave the Big East has entered an immediate period of decline.
not true, Cincy actually improved until Cronin left. Syracuse went to a final four in the ACC. It's all about the coaching.

Houston hires a great coach in Sampson and thrives in the AAC. Louisville loses Pitino and falters. UCONN loses Calhoun and falters once his players leave the school.

If the Big East is such an incubator of great basketball how do you explain the declines in St Johns and Georgetown? Providence went how many years without ever winning a single tournament game? Seton Hall was garbage for a long time until they found a terrific coach in Willard.

Coaching, Coaching, Coaching. A conference is as good as its coaches.

Last edited:

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
not true, Cincy actually improved until Cronin left. Syracuse went to a final four in the ACC. It's all about the coaching.

Houston hires a great coach in Sampson and thrives in the AAC. Louisville loses Pitino and falters. UCONN loses Calhoun and falters once his players leave the school.

If the Big East is such an incubator of great basketball how do you explain the declines in St Johns and Georgetown? Providence went how many years without ever winning a single tournament game? Seton Hall was garbage for a long time until they found a terrific coach in Willard.

This. It’s why great coaches get paid so much. They bring results. Besides money, conference affiliation does have perks or drawbacks, but the reality of the situation is that coaching is the biggest factor in winning. Whether it’s recruiting, teaching or strategizing, it’s what makes or breaks programs. The big name schools have the prestige to attract high level coaches and the money to keep them.

Reaction Score

Also an argument can be made that the Big East killed Butler basketball. It's a false argument, but based on the timing of their decline and them joining the Big East that argument can be made. Truth is Butler declined after they lost their great coach and failed to adequately replace him.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Also an argument can be made that the Big East killed Butler basketball. It's a false argument, but based on the timing of their decline and them joining the Big East that argument can be made. Truth is Butler declined after they lost their great coach and failed to adequately replace him.
Butler's decline has everything to do with losing a true basketball savant in Brad Stevens. Very excited to see how they bounce back with Thad, a really really good college coach.

Reaction Score

The Big East in the 80's, Thompson, Boeheim, Massimino, and a young Pitino
That"s what made the BigEast, then Uconn hired Calhoun.

Reaction Score

Anna Kendrick Movie GIF by Pitch Perfect

Reaction Score

And the North Carolina chancellor just said this:

“I’m optimistic we’re gonna get a better contract,” he said. “I think ESPN recognizes the importance of a strong ACC, which it really is. It’s an incredibly strong conference. One thing that I’m proud of as chancellor of UNC-Chapel Hill is the ACC is… well-known in excellence in academics and in athletics. I think we’ve proven that, and I think this is the right fit for Carolina.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom