Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 366 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm now beginning to think nothing major happens for next year.

Everything aligns for next shake up coinciding with NDU's NBC contract ending and path forward from there.

I think you are right. I think ND eventually will move to the B1G but they done have to rush into it right now. Now I think this next domino doesn’t fall until next summer. That would be good for us. It gives our football program a chance to show signs of life (fingers crossed).
BTW, I knew I had read a similar type comment.
Found it on another thread by @bendm .

I always give credit.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
I understand what your saying. But a poached Big 12 is better than the AAC
Yea I don’t think “ would I rather be in a conference with Texas Tech or ECU” is a super hard choice

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Hmmmm...The Big 12 gets picked over...oops sorry UCF, BYU, Cincy and Houston...

Interesting times...I bet those 4 schools are freaking out...
Even with the uncertainty it’s still better than being in the American.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's also better than being in the Big East. Allowing Cincinnati, UCF, and Houston to jump UConn in this game of musical chairs was not ideal.

Agree to disagree. The big 12 is a terrible fit for us and would be miserable to be a part of.

Uncertain future, horrendous travel, in a conference full of schools all trying to get out? Been there, done that.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Basketball home attendance dropped from a peak of 13,800 in the old Big East days to a low of 7,800 in the AAC. That was a huge loss. Back in the Big East, we drew 10,300 per game this year. While joining the Bug XII would have some benefits, the administration is not going to kill the goose that laid the golden egg a 2nd time in pursuit of the football dream that could very quickly become AAC Part Deux.

Reaction Score
Basketball home attendance dropped from a peak of 13,800 in the old Big East days to a low of 7,800 in the AAC. That was a huge loss. Back in the Big East, we drew 10,300 per game this year. While joining the Bug XII would have some benefits, the administration is not going to kill the goose that laid the golden egg a 2nd time in pursuit of the football dream that could very quickly become AAC Part Deux.

True but also understand a big part of that attendance drop was due to the terrible product Ollie put on the floor. Regardless, the goal is to join the ACC which would be just fine for basketball and be a massive leap forward for our other sports.

Reaction Score
True but also understand a big part of that attendance drop was due to the terrible product Ollie put on the floor. Regardless, the goal is to join the ACC which would be just fine for basketball and be a massive leap forward for our other sports.

I was specifically talking about a suggested jump to the Big XII

DGB

Reaction Score
Basketball attendance dropped because the team sucked. A bunch of AAC school elevated their bball programs while the two programs that were supposed to carry the conference - UConn and Memphis - floundered. If UConn and Memphis had done what they were supposed to the AAC would have been a very good bball conference.

Also the Big 12 as currently constructed is a great bball conference. You literally have the last two national champs coming from the Big 12. I'd be comfortable with the idea that the golden goose basketball program could survive there.

If you like UConn basketball you damn well better start rooting for the "football dream," because without it basketball is toast. That should be obvious, and i'll never understand the difficulty some of this fanbase has with simply rooting for all UConn teams.

Reaction Score
It’s like you don’t know us at all anymore.
Flying Sci-Fi GIF by Feliks Tomasz Konczakowski

Reaction Score
"If you like UConn basketball you damn well better start rooting for the "football dream," because without it basketball is toast. That should be obvious, and i'll never understand the difficulty some of this fanbase has with simply rooting for all UConn teams."

I dont understand fans of a school who root against another sports team from the same school.
I know very little about field hockey and it's rules. But, I was cheering for UConn all the way.

We are one! We are UConn!

Reaction Score
Basketball attendance dropped because the team sucked. A bunch of AAC school elevated their bball programs while the two programs that were supposed to carry the conference - UConn and Memphis - floundered. If UConn and Memphis had done what they were supposed to the AAC would have been a very good bball conference.

Also the Big 12 as currently constructed is a great bball conference. You literally have the last two national champs coming from the Big 12. I'd be comfortable with the idea that the golden goose basketball program could survive there.

If you like UConn basketball you damn well better start rooting for the "football dream," because without it basketball is toast. That should be obvious, and i'll never understand the difficulty some of this fanbase has with simply rooting for all UConn teams.

The lack of football didn’t prevent Villanova from winning 2 of the past 6 national championships. It didn’t prevent Gonzaga from getting to 2 of the past 5 title games. It didn’t stop Loyola (Chi) from getting to the Final Four 4 years ago. There’s no way that the lack of a football program will kill a good basketball program.

Attendance didn’t drop just because some of the teams were below par, seasons, by the way, for which there were expectations going in but injuries helped to ruin. A big factor in the massive decline in attendance was the fact that the games were against opponents no one cared about and half the fans didn’t recognize.

Regardless of how good basketball is in the Big XII - and I agree that it has been very good in recent years - the same problems would exist as was the case in the AAC. There would be no meaningful rivalries and no tradition. The opponents wouldn’t be bringing any fans with them because of the distance - as opposed to Big East games when attendance is/was bolstered by fans of the opponents buying tuckers. The trips are too long and wear down the team to a greater degree than opponents in a conference which is centered much closer to most of those other members.

It would be a different story in the ACC where membership would make much more sense. Everyone would be in the same time zone. Trips would generally shorter. And you actually find alums of many of those colleges here in CT or within driving distance. The ACC includes some traditional rivals, names that are recognizable to just about everyone in CT, and schools which might even be attended by other members of the same family.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I'm now beginning to think nothing major happens for next year.

Everything aligns for next shake up coinciding with NDU's NBC contract ending and path forward from there.
I don't think NBC will let the contract end. If they don't arrange an extension before this one expires, that will be a sign.

DGB

Reaction Score
The lack of football didn’t prevent Villanova from winning 2 of the past 6 national championships. It didn’t prevent Gonzaga from getting to 2 of the past 5 title games. It didn’t stop Loyola (Chi) from getting to the Final Four 4 years ago. There’s no way that the lack of a football program will kill a good basketball program.

Attendance didn’t drop just because some of the teams were below par, seasons, by the way, for which there were expectations going in but injuries helped to ruin. A big factor in the massive decline in attendance was the fact that the games were against opponents no one cared about and half the fans didn’t recognize.

Regardless of how good basketball is in the Big XII - and I agree that it has been very good in recent years - the same problems would exist as was the case in the AAC. There would be no meaningful rivalries and no tradition. The opponents wouldn’t be bringing any fans with them because of the distance - as opposed to Big East games when attendance is/was bolstered by fans of the opponents buying tuckers. The trips are too long and wear down the team to a greater degree than opponents in a conference which is centered much closer to most of those other members.

It would be a different story in the ACC where membership would make much more sense. Everyone would be in the same time zone. Trips would generally shorter. And you actually find alums of many of those colleges here in CT or within driving distance. The ACC includes some traditional rivals, names that are recognizable to just about everyone in CT, and schools which might even be attended by other members of the same family.
Sorry Billy, football and the American are not why UConn bball struggled for years. I know many prefer this narrative...but it's nonsense. Kevin Ollie is why UConn bball struggled. Not sure why it's hard to see this and just root for UConn to have good sports in good situations across the board.

Having seton hall and providence fans at the xL (I guess i'll take your word those fans were bolstering bball attendance in the old BE) is not worth knee capping football. It's actually not worth much of anything.

And yes, there have been some bball only teams that have experienced some success in recent years, but this is a much harder path than the teams that have P3/4/5 football because...money.

Also I wouldn't buy stock in Villanova post Jay Wright, or ever want to be Loyola Chicago. We'll see how Gonzaga does in an NIL world where USC can offer Few seven million a year. We'll also see if Wright stays retired.

Reaction Score
Sorry Billy, football and the American are not why UConn bball struggled for years. I know many prefer this narrative...but it's nonsense. Kevin Ollie is why UConn bball struggled. Not sure why it's hard to see this and just root for UConn to have good sports in good situations across the board.

Having seton hall and providence fans at the xL (I guess i'll take your word those fans were bolstering bball attendance in the old BE) is not worth knee capping football. It's actually not worth much of anything.

And yes, there have been some bball only teams that have experienced some success in recent years, but this is a much harder path than the teams that have P3/4/5 football because...money.

Also I wouldn't buy stock in Villanova post Jay Wright, or ever want to be Loyola Chicago. We'll see how Gonzaga does in an NIL world where USC can offer Few seven million a year. We'll also see if Wright stays retired.
Nonsense? Nice try.

All Ollie’s fault? He did win a NC and he did win games in both of the team’s tournament appearances. The next game that a Hurley coached team wins in the NCAA tournament will be its first.

The fact is that Hurley has faced major challenges in trying to recruit top talent to UConn. And that’s not the legacy of Ollie. Hurley has now had 4 years to rebuild this program. The fact is that the AAC was an albatross. There was simply not any buzz around this program when it was in that league. It won’t be ant different if they go back to a league based in Texas and the Great Plains.

I’m all in favor of trying to rebuild football but not at the expense of basketball. Go to the Big XII? It’s unstable. And what does that look like if/when Kansas leaves. Even if they stay, it’s not a great situation for either sport. Been there, done that. The ACC would make sense for both sports. I’d grab that opportunity in a heartbeat.

Living in denial with a fantasy life about UConn football can be fun . Have a good time there. The rest of us will enjoy the real world.

Reaction Score
No point in a debate about whether the aac hurt attendance or it was the quality of our team when clearly both things had a big impact.

If the big 12 was stable I'd say we should still be hoping to go there. But if they get poached and we are stuck with the leftovers there that would be disaster. At least the ACC even if they get heavily poached, we'd still have some schools that we have a history with and are closer to us.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I don't think NBC will let the contract end. If they don't arrange an extension before this one expires, that will be a sign.

I think, as others have said, NBC may keep NDU and try to get a piece of the B1G contract for other games when NDU is on the road and not on NBC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom