Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 281 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
She is confident because if they don't get picked they can blame so many factors/players that are not her/university.

Reaction Score
Houston spent $44.8 million, Cincinnati spent $52.5 million, and UConn spent $72.1 million on athletics in 2014-2015. The lowest spenders in the Big 12 were Iowa St and Kansas St at $75.3 million. How are Houston and Cincinnati even in the conversation for the Big 12? Is Houston going to increase spending by almost 100% to catch up to the bottom of the Big 12?

Reaction Score
She seems pretty confident. Meanwhile our President tries to manage expectations and defers to the NDA anytime she's asked about it. Not a good sign.
Not sure it is a sign either way.One thing is for sure, if following conference rules means anything to the universities in the Big12, it might give them pause to add a school who repeatedly runs afoul of the NDA that they put in place.

Reaction Score
Houston spent $44.8 million, Cincinnati spent $52.5 million, and UConn spent $72.1 million on athletics in 2014-2015. The lowest spenders in the Big 12 were Iowa St and Kansas St at $75.3 million. How are Houston and Cincinnati even in the conversation for the Big 12? Is Houston going to increase spending by almost 100% to catch up to the bottom of the Big 12?
Thank you. The Big 12 hired consultants to tell them all the finances. Yes, a good football season is nice and the timing is great for UH but are they gonna completely ignore the dollar signs? Maybe.

Reaction Score

Houston is building a billion square foot facility for FedEx in return for $50 million to add to athletic spending.

Reaction Score
Both Houston and UConn are competing using prodigious athletic department subsidizing...$28 milllion for UConn and $25 million for Houston.

The question is, if the the programs come in on a partial payout basis as is likely, can they compete with Big 12 programs without continuing the subsidy.

Without subsidy, and with partial payouts, your prediction of being in the bottom of the league in revenue would be true for almost any of the G5.

Reaction Score
Both Houston and UConn are competing using prodigious athletic department subsidizing...$28 milllion for UConn and $25 million for Houston.

The question is, if the the programs come in on a partial payout basis as is likely, can they compete with Big 12 programs without continuing the subsidy.

Without subsidy, and with partial payouts, your prediction of being in the bottom of the league in revenue would be true for almost any of the G5.

You're comparing apples and oranges. There are all sorts of subsidies you're not seeing. One that is not reported by P5 schools is debt service by the academic side on facilities. That never makes it into the report. UConn has nosuch subsidies because the football stadium was paid for by the state, and the new basketball facilities were paid for with private contributions as were the football facilities. Meanwhile, schools everywhere, including Texas and Michigan, have over $300m in debt being serviced by the academic side. In effect, a subsidy.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Houston revenue is in the low 40s. With that subsidy. UConn revenue is low 70s. Exceeds Iowa State now while only getting AAC money. Even say, $15m a year extra puts UConn around top 30 of all schools in revenue. Do the math. A full share and we'd be top 25. UConn already is P5. The next closest G5 to UConn in revenue is $20m behind.

Reaction Score
Houston revenue is in the low 40s. With that subsidy. UConn revenue is low 70s. Exceeds Iowa State now while only getting AAC money. Even say, $15m a year extra puts UConn around top 30 of all schools in revenue. Do the math. A full share and we'd be top 25. UConn already is P5. The next closest G5 to UConn in revenue is $20m behind.

I did some research earlier this year that I can dig up tomorrow, but even with subsidies stripped out for all schools I believe UConn still has larger revenue number than 3 P5 programs (Colorado, Oregon State and I THINK. Iowa State) and is essentially tied with Rutgers ( the have us by maybe a million I think).

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I did some research earlier this year that I can dig up tomorrow, but even with subsidies stripped out for all schools I believe UConn still has larger revenue number than 3 P5 programs (Colorado, Oregon State and I THINK. Iowa State) and is essentially tied with Rutgers ( the have us by maybe a million I think).

Yes, while making peanuts from the league

Reaction Score
Iowa State is very close to eliminating all subsidies.

I believe of their $70+ million budget, only about $2 million comes outside the athletic department.

Aside from that, I hope UConn comes into the Big 12 with Cincy, BYU and Colorado St (though I think Houston will get this spot).

I know UConn has played Iowa State in both basketball and football, but just some facts you may not be aware of:

Iowa State is now the largest university in the state of Iowa with 36,600 students. They passed the U of I about 5 years ago.
Iowa State is 10-10 against the Hawkeyes in football over the last 20 years. They are 11-9 against them in basketball.
Iowa State is an AAU school and a land grant university.
Iowa State has the 3rd largest football stadium in the B12 at 61,000 capacity and averaged a 3rd best 55,000+ last season.
Iowa State has the 3rd largest basketball stadium in the B12 at 14,300 capacity and averaged a 2nd best 14,000 last season.
Both the women's and men's basketball crowds fall among the top 20 nationally each season.

Good luck and I hope UConn is one of the schools selected!

Reaction Score
Actually it's 5 not 3.

Kansas State Big 12 $75,323,278 $67,316,209 $862,680 1.15
Iowa State Big 12 $75,283,516 $75,209,309 $2,044,400 2.72
Connecticut AAC $72,155,789 $72,062,423 $28,070,681 38.90
Rutgers Big Ten $70,558,935 $70,558,935 $23,803,903 33.74
Colorado Pac-12 $67,852,236 $65,273,311 $12,216,734 18.00
Oregon State Pac-12 $64,876,006 $72,557,984 $6,942,549 10.70
Utah Pac-12 $62,441,552 $58,734,014 $8,799,939 14.09
Washington State Pac-12 $54,112,604 $67,386,939 $6,112,056 11.30
Cincinnati AAC $52,536,185 $51,717,370 $23,182,129 44.13
Central Florida AAC $51,455,603 $47,647,475 $24,772,104 48.14
Air Force Mt. West $50,191,669 $43,481,337 $34,078,719 67.90

Reaction Score
If the Big 12 really is dumb enough to just expand by 2 with one of the 2 being a Texas school they are just hopeless.
The question won't be if the Big12 dies but if UConn can sustain its own athletic department long enough to be around for when it does.

In the end, I still think it's 4 or 0.

Reaction Score

I believe of their $70+ million budget, only about $2 million comes outside the athletic department.

Aside from that, I hope UConn comes into the Big 12 with Cincy, BYU and Colorado St (though I think Houston will get this spot).

I know UConn has played Iowa State in both basketball and football, but just some facts you may not be aware of:

Iowa State is now the largest university in the state of Iowa with 36,600 students. They passed the U of I about 5 years ago.
Iowa State is 10-10 against the Hawkeyes in football over the last 20 years. They are 11-9 against them in basketball.
Iowa State has the 3rd largest football stadium in the B12 at 61,000 capacity and averaged a 3rd best 55,000+ last season.
Iowa State has the 3rd largest basketball stadium in the B12 at 14,300 capacity and averaged a 2nd best 14,000 last season.
Both the women's and men's basketball crowds fall among the top 20 nationally each season.

I did not realize ISU enrollment was that big.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The question won't be if the Big12 dies but if UConn can sustain its own athletic department long enough to be around for when it does.

In the end, I still think it's 4 or 0.
Best case scenarios in that order by far for UConn vis a vie the Big XII. Expansion by 2 and UConn not being a part of it would be borderline tragic, if there is no more expansion indicated on the horizon.

Reaction Score

Good stuff. I know there has been some negative comments about ISU on this board. Its' always surprising to find out the truth. The ones that get me are the folks who claim ISU has no fanbase. ISU hasn't won much of anything in recent history but the fans still show up in huge numbers near the top of the conference in just about everything. #3 in FB, #2 in BB, and #1 in WBB.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Good info, thanks. I went to law school with several Iowa State folks at KU. Nice people. ISU sports were down back then (early 90s).

Now a serious question. How do you people find these unusual Iowa State references in a forum like this one? I've never really understood that.

Reaction Score
Good info, thanks. I went to law school with several Iowa State folks at KU. Nice people. ISU sports were down back then (early 90s).

Now a serious question. How do you people find these unusual Iowa State references in a forum like this one? I've never really understood that.

Iowa State fans are every bit as concerned and preoccupied with this round of expansion as are you guys. What happens over the next month or so could ultimately give an indication what will be happening in 10 years.

If Texas and OU would leave the conference, there is only an "outside" chance ISU could end up in the PAC with some other B12 schools. There is a less likely chance they could end up in the B10 if they were paired up with someone to make an even number (KU/ISU, Texas/ISU, etc). They do have AAU accreditation and solid fan support, but are obviously from a small population state. The more likely scenario is they would join the AAC or MWC and be on the outside looking in. That is obviously where our interest comes from. I think UConn is one of the schools that could be added that would make the Big 12 look legitimate once again. Though I like playing everyone in basketball and football, two divisions will be more friendly to the mid to lower tier schools in the B12.

I found this board a few years ago when ISU played UConn at MSG so sought it out when the realignment saga began. For what it is worth, I have found the dialogue on this board to be a bit more substantive than some of the others I have been following (ShaggyTexas, LandThieves, OrangePower, and BearCatTalk).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Iowa State fans are every bit as concerned and preoccupied with this round of expansion as are you guys. What happens over the next month or so could ultimately give an indication what will be happening in 10 years.

If Texas and OU would leave the conference, there is only an "outside" chance ISU could end up in the PAC with some other B12 schools. There is a less likely chance they could end up in the B10 if they were paired up with someone to make an even number (KU/ISU, Texas/ISU, etc). They do have AAU accreditation and solid fan support, but are obviously from a small population state. The more likely scenario is they would join the AAC or MWC and be on the outside looking in. That is obviously where our interest comes from. I think UConn is one of the schools that could be added that would make the Big 12 look legitimate once again. Though I like playing everyone in basketball and football, two divisions will be more friendly to the mid to lower tier schools in the B12.

I found this board a few years ago when ISU played UConn at MSG so sought it out when the realignment saga began. For what it is worth, I have found the dialogue on this board to be a bit more substantive than some of the others I have been following (ShaggyTexas, LandThieves, OrangePower, and BearCatTalk).
Thanks for stopping by. So what is your sense of how UConn is viewed in the Big 12 in athletic and academics and as a fit for the Big 12? If you were handicap the candidates what are your top 5?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Sadly we UConn fans have more experience being left at the altar in CR than just about anybody. It causes us to take a mostly realistic view of a process that is anything but predictable or obvious. We joke around a lot at the same time, because you simply cannot get through conference realignment without a sense of humor.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sadly we UConn fans have more experience being left at the altar in CR than just about anybody. It causes us to take a mostly realistic view of a process that is anything but predictable or obvious. We joke around a lot at the same time, because you simply cannot get through conference realignment without a sense of humor.
... and liberal use of alcohol.

Reaction Score
UConn needs to do more of this. Coming off a win over Oklahoma with a top 10 ranking you would think UH wouldnt have to so this but...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom