Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 23 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I'm just throwing it out there...We are talking about the Big 10, we see the University is taking steps to be more attractive to the Big 10, and everyone is talking about UConn being an option for the Big 10. Personally, I would obviously pick the Big 10 over any other conference every day and twice on Sunday, but does anyone know for certain if The Big10 has received it's 2nd completed application from an ACC school formerly of the Big East?"

If not, this is all just noise, and this thread, along with everything in it becomes moot.

Reaction Score
I'm just throwing it out there...We are talking about the Big 10, we see the University is taking steps to be more attractive to the Big 10, and everyone is talking about UConn being an option for the Big 10. Personally, I would obviously pick the Big 10 over any other conference every day and twice on Sunday, but does anyone know for certain if The Big10 has received it's 2nd completed application from an ACC school formerly of the Big East?"

If not, this is all just noise, and this thread, along with everything in it becomes moot.

UConn basketball in the B1G could prevent the ACC from cornering the market on bigtime bball.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
he already clarified... when he suggested that Uconn drop the football program, he meant that they should go independent and move all other sports to the C7.
Clearly you are one of those that mis-read his original post.

Clearly. Sounds like one and the same to me....

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
BTN is on almost everywhere. It is the difference is price that is charged for an area with a team vs the ROW(rest of world). Carriage fees are higher for DMA's with teams in them.

Missoui has more people than KS. More people = more money.

Why would you think the SEC would want Kansas? Good school, but only MBB for revenue and in a small state.

What are you talking about with the SEC? Lawrence KS in the SEC? John Brown would roll over in his grave. Can't wait for the Bama and Ole Miss fans to visit the Free State Brewery on Massachusetts street. I'm talking about the B1G.

I think Kansas brings the KC market to the same level as Mizzou. I think Illinois brings St. Louis. The relevant distance is Champaigne to St. Louis. 150 miles as the crow flies. Not much further than Columbia. KU gets you the Wichita DMA pretty solidly. Mizzou brings Springfield, but with a strong Arkansas contingent. KU turns on basketball TVs nationwide (behind only UNC, Duke and Kentucky in that regard) while Missouri has no national following in any sport. The GOR aside, KU makes more sense to the B1G than Missouri. Brand names matter to Delany, it's why he went after Nebraska despite a very weak DMA. I thought delany would take Missouri...but he passed despite them begging. He has a reason.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Columbia Mo. is 124 mi from St. Louis, which located in the Northeast corner or Missouri. A pretty easy argument can be made that the St. Louis media market is well within Big 10 country.

Missouri's other major media market (Kansas City) is another 125 miles further to the west than Columbia.

I know...was born in that DMA and resided there after law school. What is your point? Missouri wanted the B1G and pleaded to be added. The B1G said no, the SEC said yes. My point is that St. Louis is already a B1G media market by virtue of U Illinois being only 150 miles away. Plus Delany has Iowa to the north, which has some alumni in both KC and SL. You can take Missouri by surrounding it. You don't need the Tigers.

Husky25

Reaction Score
UConn basketball in the B1G could prevent the ACC from cornering the market on bigtime bball.
But has UConn submitted an App? Is that the process? does the Big Ten contact the school in an RFP situation? How does that whole process work.

These are all hypotheticals. Does any one of them have any shot at actually happening as we currently stand?

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
My sense is that the B1G is working through a scenario where they can get Virginia to agree to move but UNC holds strong to the ACC...the B1G then must decide to go forward with the Virginia addition while they can (with either UConn or Georgia Tech as the other school) or wait it out and hope that they can get UNC free in the future.

If they deem that UNC is holding tight in the ACC until they finally make a move to the SEC...then the debate is between UConn and GT. I am guessing that GT is currenlty in the lead...but UConn is gaining on them. Because if the B1G concludes that UNC is eventually SEC bound, then GT doesn't make a lot of sense as they would be an extreme outlier. So if the B1G's end game is 16 teams and UNC is not one of them, I think it is UConn and Virginia who eventually get a nod. But if the B1G has plans to eventually get to 18 or 20 teams, then I think Virginia and GT is the decision (as GT would not be an outlier with other southern schools in the fold in the future).

Reaction Score
I know...was born in that DMA and resided there after law school. What is your point? Missouri wanted the B1G and pleaded to be added. The B1G said no, the SEC said yes. My point is that St. Louis is already a B1G media market by virtue of U Illinois being only 150 miles away. Plus Delany has Iowa to the north, which has some alumni in both KC and SL. You can take Missouri by surrounding it. You don't need the Tigers.

Exactly right.

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score

Okay to be fair... everyone on this board is talking about Uconn as a n option for the BIg 10. It is pretty quiet everywhere else outside a few random tweets from people who are getting grilled. I hope that this is the case since I live in Columbus, OH but we have to be realistic. Either Uconn admin has gone quiet to not let out the news or we have a lot of wishful fans who are reaching for the pinnacle of moves.

P.S. BC and Syracuse make little sense if they are trying to stay to large land grant universities.

Reaction Score
I know you are joking but the thing that amazes me is all the time Rutgers spent in the Big East they couldn't make just 1 NCAA appearance.

Hey guys pipe down they MIGHT schedule us for a 3 for 1 in football IF WE ARE LUCKY, we should be honored for the exposure it will provide!

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Okay to be fair... everyone on this board is talking about Uconn as a n option for the BIg 10. It is pretty quiet everywhere else outside a few random tweets from people who are getting grilled. I hope that this is the case since I live in Columbus, OH but we have to be realistic. Either Uconn admin has gone quiet to not let out the news or we have a lot of wishful fans who are reaching for the pinnacle of moves.
I take it you haven't waded into the "B1G" thread yet eh?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

P.S. BC and Syracuse make little sense if they are trying to stay to large land grant universities.

You mean like all the chatter about Rutgers and Maryland prior to those schools being added?

UConn is worth more to the Big 10 than it is to the ACC. I don't think an ACC invitation is ever coming, but a Big 10 one is at least possible.

Husky25

Reaction Score
You mean like all the chatter about Rutgers and Maryland prior to those schools being added?

UConn is worth more to the Big 10 than it is to the ACC. I don't think an ACC invitation is ever coming, but a Big 10 one is at least possible.
Not if UConn shuts down the football program or goes independent as you desire.

Reaction Score
Tuxedo Yoda@TuxedoYoda
Now that we know the Cuse is dirty, Texas should be awarded the title stolen from them in 2003 by those cheating bastards.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Not if UConn shuts down the football program or goes independent as you desire.

I was trying to figure out what you desire other than trolling, and I came up empty. In scrolling through your prior posts, I can't find a single position you have taken on anything. That, by definition, makes you a troll.

Reaction Score
More from the unamable one.

MH*er3@MH*er3
1h

BTN confirms that FSU has been told "not interested"

MH*er3@MH*er3
1h

@Martyaborg personally I think that if ACC schools are all off the table(they're not) then BYU and Uconn are the last 2 great brands left

Everything on Twitter, except from the Dude, suggests that the ACC is more or less holding together. FSU said no to B12 already, and B1G said no to FSU. UVA is still on the fence. UNC going nowhere. I don't think the ACC is breaking up. So that raises two questions: 1. does the B1G make any move, or stand pat for now? and 2. the Big 12 is now forced to expand without any ACC schools (they need 12 for Cotton Bowl tie in it seems). What do they do?
We have seen a lot of rumors fly, some of which were later proven true. The rumors that Missouri was turned down by the B1G, must have been true. The rumors that WVU was turned down by ACC and SEC, were probably true also. Now we just heard the rumor that FSU was turned down by the B1G. Is this true? We do not know. What is interesting, however, is that we have yet to hear a rumor that says that UConn has applied and/or UConn was rebuffed by the B1G. We know we have shown interest in the ACC and B1G, and we know for a fact the ACC has rejected us at least once. But I don't recall any rumors of the B1G rejecting UConn. True or did I miss anything? ( No rumor is a good rumor, is where I am getting at).

Husky25

Reaction Score
I was trying to figure out what you desire other than trolling, and I came up empty. In scrolling through your prior posts, I can't find a single position you have takeon on anything. That, by definition, makes you a troll.
Well then reading comprehension isn't your strong suit. How far back did you go? Because I actually explicitly agreed with a handful of your posts in the cesspool. Your advocation of downgrading the football program on the one hand, while emphatically stating the UConn is in position for a Big Ten invite, is not only hypocritcal, its just complete poppycock, based nowhere near reality. As I said yesterday, I do my best not to attack you (as troll would do). Your Ideas as presented on the other hand are fair game.

Reaction Score
Well then reading comprehension isn't your strong suit. How far back did you go? Because I actually explicitly agreed with a handful of your posts in the cesspool. Your advocation of downgrading the football program on the one hand, while emphatically stating the UConn is in position for a Big Ten invite, is not only hypocritcal, its just complete poppycock, based nowhere near reality. As I said yesterday, I do my best not to attack you (as troll would do). Your Ideas as presented on the other hand are fair game.[/quot

You said "poppycock"!!! :). Made my day

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Well then reading comprehension isn't your strong suit. How far back did you go? Because I actually explicitly agreed with a handful of your posts in the cesspool. Your advocation of downgrading the football program on the one hand, while emphatically stating the UConn is in position for a Big Ten invite, is not only hypocritcal, its just complete poppycock, based nowhere near reality. As I said yesterday, I do my best not to attack you (as troll would do). Your Ideas as presented on the other hand are fair game.

If the market is telling us the basketball program is worth more by itself than the football and basketball programs are worth combined, who am I to argue? I did say in that thread that it was worth keeping the football program independent for a few years to see how this round of realignment played out, but there was absolutely no reason to join the A12 and flush all 3 programs down the toilet, which is exactly what UConn did.

Uconn has a window of about 24-36 months after which the entire athletic program is not worth enough to the Big 10 to warrant adding us. I think that window would have been at least 5 years in the C7 with football independence, because the basketball program could have remained a top program.

Husky25

Reaction Score
If the market is telling us the basketball program is worth more by itself than the football and basketball programs are worth combined, who am I to argue? I did say in that thread that it was worth keeping the football program independent for a few years to see how this round of realignment played out, but there was absolutely no reason to join the A12 and flush all 3 programs down the toilet, which is exactly what UConn did.

Uconn has a window of about 24-36 months after which the entire athletic program is not worth enough to the Big 10 to warrant adding us. I think that window would have been at least 5 years in the C7 with football independence, because the basketball program could have remained a top program.

But you are using faulty logic to support and express conflicting POVs.

1. You are assuming the status quo continues when most people in-the-know believe that Conference Realignment is not done and that UConn is not long for this new conference. Given the moves on the academic side, the upgrades on the athletic side, as well as mere geography and demographics, I tend to agree. So the prudent move for UConn is to bide their time and win to increase on-field appeal. Program marketing must improve, but the status quo should change, and when it does, UConn has most assuredly put their best foot forward.

2. Independent football = program death knell. UConn went 9-3 in 2003, including a complete dressing down of Wake Forest in their own stadium, and were not invited to a bowl game. Contrary to what another poster thinks, it is not easy for a team of UConn's football stature to play a worthy FBS schedule and get invited to a bowl because all the bowls now have conference tie-ins. It’s an asinine idea.

3. Regarding flushing 3 programs down the tubes you need to discount Women’s Basketball. I think it's a good fundamental game and UConn is among the dominant programs, but there are so many more Have-nots than Haves, that it is not nearly as entertaining (save for a few pockets) to the rest of the country and not a revenue generator by any means as compared to the men’s game or football. It plays exactly zero roll in realignment. Related, UConn women's basketball success is tied directly to its Coach who is approaching 60. UConn’s program is in the same situation as the Old Big East. They will still play Stanford, Notre Dame (now OOC), and Baylor (Who will suck once Brittney Griner graduates), while destroying the rest of their conference.

4. Men’s Basketball is not as bad as you’d think either. Cinci, Memphis and Temple are not ‘Cuse (about to go on Probation), Pitt, and UL, but they are better than, if not equal to (year in and year out), Nova, Marquette, and Gtown. Butler, VCU, and Creighton feast on sub-par conference opponents and now they have to play each other plus Gtown.

5. A .500 conference record in either the Big East or C2bNL will not a Dance ticket earn, but the dregs of the C2bNL are in a better position than that of the Big East. The reason why is money, not TV money, but institutional money. The C2bNL is comprised of either public or well-funded private schools, which can devote resources to athletics in an effort to expand and improve the face of their institution. The schools in the New Big East cannot. So yes, in the short term, the Big East sends a few teams to the Tourney, but I believe it is far more sketching thereafter.

How's that for expressing my beliefs?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom