Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 22 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Missouri was embarrassed by the Big 10.Well really they embarrassed themselves, but it involved the Big. No way are they leaving the SEC for the Big 10. Not happening. Kansas could but who would they be paired with and what do they really bring? Limited population, limited success in football. Good Track & Field and basketball. And the B12 GOR would need to be worked out.

And take this to the bank...BC is not going to the Big. Ever.

Reaction Score
If the ACC stays together, which I believe it will, I believe it will be UCONN and Mizzu. I am sure there are plenty of Mizzu people that will say never, but lets be honest. If the really hot girl you wanted before shows interest in you, even though you just go a new girlfriend, you go to her. You have little invested in the new relationship and beside, you have more in common with her than the new girl.

If UCONN is taken you don't take Syracuse. You don't need three schools around NYC. BC doesn't work either. While it is a good school, it is not the same type of school. BU is, but doesn't have the sports programs.

So, it is UCONN and ?(Mizzu) or no expansion in my opinion.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Mizzou leaving the SEC for the B1G would be one helluva bitch slap for the SEC.

Reaction Score
Good one....and I'd say it works for UConn. UConn will surprise in the B1G....in all sports.
I don't think Uconn would surprise in all sports. They would simply maintain their high standards. We would remain a national power in hoops, soccer, etc. In football, Uconn would probably surprise as we would beat more schools than the average fan would think we could at first.

Reaction Score
Don't like some rumors of some ACC departures to B1G and then ACC merging w/B12.

Reaction Score
Nelson, I have a question: If, as you suggest, Connecticut is among the B1G's top 4 choices to develop a league of 16 to 20 schools, why would we consider "shutting down" the football program? Presumably we don't bring the overall gravitas of Johns Hopkins, and lacrosse afterall is presently merely a glint in Suzie's eye, so wouldn't the lack of FBS football actually hurt our candidacy? I was under the impression that ending up in the B1G as opposed to the old Big East would be a good thing. No?
he already clarified... when he suggested that Uconn drop the football program, he meant that they should go independent and move all other sports to the C7.
Clearly you are one of those that mis-read his original post.

Reaction Score
That would not happen.

Zoo Cougar - Why not? It is more likely than UVA. Mizzu has shown in the past they wanted to be part of the B1G. Are you thinking they are the jilted lover and won't listen if B1G called? They have no exit fee. They have no 60 year marriage like UVA has to the ACC. Long term money is no different. Mizzu fit better institutional with the B1G. Illinois and Neb are teams they have history with compared to the SEC.

Never is a long time.

Reaction Score
Kansas and Colorado, not Mizzou.
nobody is leaving a power 3 conference.

Up to this point, no school has left one conference for an equal or lesser perceived conference. I think that's partly why no school is willing to take the jump from the ACC to the big12 or vice versa. right now, they are perceived as equal (nobody can cleary say one is #4 and the other #5)... Should one of them get poached by a power 3, everything changes because that conference immediately becomes #5.

Reaction Score
Zoo Cougar - Why not? It is more likely than UVA. Mizzu has shown in the past they wanted to be part of the B1G. Are you thinking they are the jilted lover and won't listen if B1G called? They have no exit fee. They have no 60 year marriage like UVA has to the ACC. Long term money is no different. Mizzu fit better institutional with the B1G. Illinois and Neb are teams they have history with compared to the SEC.

Never is a long time.

Answer: Texas. Texas doesn't want a bunch of teams entering the B12. 4 more teams max.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That would not happen.

Never say never. Decision to add Mizzou was not overly popular in the SEC. I think it has more to do with B1G priorities than with Mizzou loving the SEC. Illinois already results in this:
On December 28, 2009,​
Charter Communications
and BTN reached an agreement to provide the network to Charter customers in St. Louis and Southern Illinois. Charter launched the BTN on its Expanded Basic-Digital level of service​

So Missouri adds little for for the BTN, less than Kansas does. Either would bring the KC market, and Kansas would bring Wichita and others, plus a more recognizable brand (in basketball). Springfield is split with Arkansas fans.​

Reaction Score

Never is a long time.

Nobody leaves the SEC. It's like the Hotel California, except you don't want to ever leave.

Reaction Score
On December 28, 2009,
Charter Communications

and BTN reached an agreement to provide the network to Charter customers in St. Louis and Southern Illinois. Charter launched the BTN on its Expanded Basic-Digital level of service

But at what price? $.10 per subscriber or $1.00/month. If it is closer to the $.10/month than there is a fair amount to gain in St. Louis and KC.

Reaction Score
Never say never. Decision to add Mizzou was not overly popular in the SEC. I think it has more to do with B1G priorities than with Mizzou loving the SEC. Illinois already results in this:
On December 28, 2009,
Charter Communications
and BTN reached an agreement to provide the network to Charter customers in St. Louis and Southern Illinois. Charter launched the BTN on its Expanded Basic-Digital level of service

So Missouri adds little for for the BTN, less than Kansas does. Either would bring the KC market, and Kansas would bring Wichita and others, plus a more recognizable brand (in basketball). Springfield is split with Arkansas fans.

Why do you think Mizzou would add less to the BTN than KU?

So what is it going to look like when the SEC is in both St. Louis and KC in the not too distant future.

I could see the B1G going after Kansas.

Reaction Score
But at what price? $.10 per subscriber or $1.00/month. If it is closer to the $.10/month than there is a fair amount to gain in St. Louis and KC.

I get what seems like 30 BTN channels on Time Warner in Kansas City. Most people in KC have Time Warner, ATT U Verse or Direct TV. The Big 10 is already getting revenue from this area without anyone in the footprint.

Reaction Score
The G.O.R is an unknown. I don't think Kansas has the ability or desire to spend the needed assest to break it. They are being paid very well right now so there is almost no upside when you consider the cost to remove themselves from the B12 and away from K. St.

There is little upside financially for Mizzu, but it is peer institution with closer rivals. It would make sense in the way conferences did. They could be in the B1G West with Neb, Minn, Wis, Iowa, NU, Ill and Purdue.

Reaction Score
Nobody leaves the SEC. It's like the Hotel California, except you don't want to ever leave.

Teams that have checked out of the SEC: Missisippi State, Vanderbilt
ACC: BC, Wake Forest

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
On December 28, 2009,

Charter Communications

So Missouri adds little for for the BTN, less than Kansas does. Either would bring the KC market, and Kansas would bring Wichita and others, plus a more recognizable brand (in basketball). Springfield is split with Arkansas fans.
Columbia Mo. is 124 mi from St. Louis, which located in the Northeast corner or Missouri. A pretty easy argument can be made that the St. Louis media market is well within Big 10 country.

Missouri's other major media market (Kansas City) is another 125 miles further to the west than Columbia.

Reaction Score
BTN is on almost everywhere. It is the difference is price that is charged for an area with a team vs the ROW(rest of world). Carriage fees are higher for DMA's with teams in them.

Missoui has more people than KS. More people = more money.

Why would you think the SEC would want Kansas? Good school, but only MBB for revenue and in a small state.

B

bob f'n barker

Tuxedo Yoda@TuxedoYoda1h
Amazing how the state of CT gives ESPN massive tax breaks but ESPN continues to make moves that screw over that state's flagship university.

Reaction Score
Food for thought.

Columbia to Iowa City = 239 miles
Columbia to Champaign = 300 miles
Columbia to Lincoln = 321 miles
Columbia to Minn = 484 miles
Columbia to West Lafayette = 388 miles
Columbia to Chicago = 414 miles

That is a lot closer than SEC country. That equal better fan experience for alum and $avings in olympic sports.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
Still waiting on the source... A source is a source of course of course...

Let's hope it's or get off the pot time for UVA. Expect UConn and UVA to B1G announcement in about 20 minutes

Reaction Score
Let's hope it's or get off the pot time for UVA. Expect UConn and UVA to B1G announcement in about 20 minutes

BTW tweet is from the guy we're not supposed to mention. MH---3. He must like getting ripped because they're killing him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom