Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 21 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Ed Daigneault@EdDaigneault
ACC battle joined. RT @GoBEARCATS: #Bearcats announce scholarship reinstatement and enhancement for Olympic sports. http://Post original url/ZXZ9xR

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
More from the unamable one.

BTN confirms that FSU has been told "not interested"​
@Martyaborg personally I think that if ACC schools are all off the table(they're not) then BYU and Uconn are the last 2 great brands left​
Everything on Twitter, except from the Dude, suggests that the ACC is more or less holding together. FSU said no to B12 already, and B1G said no to FSU. UVA is still on the fence. UNC going nowhere. I don't think the ACC is breaking up. So that raises two questions: 1. does the B1G make any move, or stand pat for now? and 2. the Big 12 is now forced to expand without any ACC schools (they need 12 for Cotton Bowl tie in it seems). What do they do?​

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think the core, traditional ACC schools really want to stick together, and will if ESPN comes up with a little more mone. I think the northern ACC schools are free agents. If the B1G expands, it will be some combo of UVa, UConn, BCU and Syracuse.

Reaction Score
I think the core, traditional ACC schools really want to stick together, and will if ESPN comes up with a little more mone. I think the northern ACC schools are free agents. If the B1G expands, it will be some combo of UVa, UConn, BCU and Syracuse.

Georgia Tech moves first!!!!!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If the Big 10 didn't want FSU, why would they want GTech. GTech has been covered here. gtech makes no sense. Are you being sarcastic?

Reaction Score
If the Big 10 didn't want FSU, why would they want GTech. GTech has been covered here. gtech makes no sense. Are you being sarcastic?

Nope. This is how the B1G operates. They make no sense. The B1G is a bunch of Michiganders who want to make as much money as they can while insuring Michigan has little competition for the league title. That's the B1G for you. GT makes perfect sense, just as Rutgers and Maryland did.

Reaction Score
I was reading the Sports Illustrated article yesterday about the "Death of a Giant" which really focused on Dave Gavitt and the demise of the Big East. They talked about when everyone knew it was over when Gavitt passed away, people were attending his wake and news came out that Syracuse was leaving. That was the moment the Big East really died once and for all. They went on to say that it would be like if UNC and/or Dook went to the SEC or B1G the ACC for all intents and purposes would not be the "ACC" anymore. I got to thinking that UNC knows this and as long as the other schools stay (for the most part) do THEY want to be the one to throw away more than a half century of tradition? I think that does weigh heavily on their mind.

One sidenote from the SI article. Apparently when Penn State wanted to join in 1981 and was rejected by 1 vote (Catholic schools blocked them), there are meeting minutes which has a quote from Tranghese who said on the record that someday "we will regret this decision."

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Last year there was a story that GT was considered with Maryland, before they moved on to Rutgers. For all the reasons we already hashed out (weak presence even in Atlanta market, travel issues) the B1G rejected them and moved on to Rutgers. I haven't seen any changes in that scenario.

I think Nelson is right. The Dude is yammering on about no GOR with the ACC. No with this contract there wouldn't be. But if ESPN sweetens it in exchange for a GOR, I think they will get one. Then perceptions of the ACC change dramatically. The B1G may be resigning itself to the fact that they can't get south of DC (or Charlottesville) on the east coast. The B12 was hoping that Clemson, FSU, VT and Miami could be in shredded league and be easy pickings. Now the Big 12 probably needs to move first. BYU should be high on the list, but doesn't help WVU travel.

Reaction Score
I was reading the Sports Illustrated article yesterday about the "Death of a Giant" which really focused on Dave Gavitt and the demise of the Big East. They talked about when everyone knew it was over when Gavitt passed away, people were attending his wake and news came out that Syracuse was leaving. That was the moment the Big East really died once and for all. They went on to say that it would be like if UNC and/or Dook went to the SEC or B1G the ACC for all intents and purposes would not be the "ACC" anymore. I got to thinking that UNC knows this and as long as the other schools stay (for the most part) do THEY want to be the one to throw away more than a half century of tradition? I think that does weigh heavily on their mind.

One sidenote from the SI article. Apparently when Penn State wanted to join in 1981 and was rejected by 1 vote (Catholic schools blocked them), there are meeting minutes which has a quote from Tranghese who said on the record that someday "we will regret this decision."

Two football schools blocked them, some basketball schools voted for them.

Reaction Score
They listed the 3 schools that voted against it from the minutes. Georgetown was one of them. I will get the others later from the article.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The Big East could have been the clear #5 or #6 football conference after SyraPitt left, as well as a premier hoops league. When Louisville and Rutgers left and that caused the Catholic schools and Boise to leave is when it really died no matter what a Cuse fan says.

But hey a Cuse fan will tell you they are the best big east hoop program ignoring little things like conference and national championships.

Reaction Score
They listed the 3 schools that voted against it from the minutes. Georgetown was one of them. I will get the others later from the article.

Pitt too! Syracuse voted against them once, but then came around the second time. PSU came up twice.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Tom Dienhart (@BTNTomDienhart)

If the #B1G adds two East schools, as many speculate, then #Purdue and #Hoosiers both could be in West, making realignment smoother.
5:28pm - 19 Mar 13

Reaction Score
Tom Dienhart (@BTNTomDienhart)

If the #B1G adds two East schools, as many speculate, then #Purdue and #Hoosiers both could be in West, making realignment smoother.
5:28pm - 19 Mar 13

Well, well...

who are the many people?

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score

Nelson, I have a question: If, as you suggest, Connecticut is among the B1G's top 4 choices to develop a league of 16 to 20 schools, why would we consider "shutting down" the football program? Presumably we don't bring the overall gravitas of Johns Hopkins, and lacrosse afterall is presently merely a glint in Suzie's eye, so wouldn't the lack of FBS football actually hurt our candidacy? I was under the impression that ending up in the B1G as opposed to the old Big East would be a good thing. No?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Nelson, I have a question: If, as you suggest, Connecticut is among the B1G's top 4 choices to develop a league of 16 to 20 schools, why would we consider "shutting down" the football program? Presumably we don't bring the overall gravitas of Johns Hopkins, and lacrosse afterall is presently merely a glint in Suzie's eye, so wouldn't the lack of FBS football actually hurt our candidacy? I was under the impression that ending up in the B1G as opposed to the old Big East would be a good thing. No?
He's been asked this on several different occasions. Every single one of his premises is easily refuted, some by his own posts. He does not have a single good reason. When the other 99.5% of the Boneyard's membership calls him out, he abandons the thread and creats another, espousing the program's demise. Either this or he pumps up the tires and emphatically states (unknowingly) that UConn is 3 in line for the Big Ten. All the while, hoping vs hope that no one recalls the umpteen previous calls for shutting down the program.

At the end of the day, Ricky, I wouldn't expect an appropriate response.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
He's been asked this on several different occasions. Every single one of his premises is easily refuted, some by his own posts. He does not have a single good reasons. When the other 99.5% of the Boneyard's membership calls him out, he abandons the thread and creats another, espousing the program's demise. Either this or he pumps up the tires and emphatically states (unknowingly) that UConn is 3 in line for the Big Ten. All the while, hoping vs hope that no one recalls the umpteen previous calls for shutting down the program.

At the end of the day, Ricky, I wouldn't expect an appropriate response.
Is Nelson a real person or some sort of creation of the Boneyard administrators to keep page views elevated?

Btw, I'm hoping for the UConn / UVA announcement this April. I wouldnt be surprised however if its UConn / Syracuse if UVA refuses to come along. Otherwise, if not UVA or Syr, I am at a loss as to what they would do for that last team.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Is Nelson a real person or some sort of creation of the Boneyard administrators to keep page views elevated?

Btw, I'm hoping for the UConn / UVA announcement this April. I wouldnt be surprised however if its UConn / Syracuse if UVA refuses to come along. Otherwise, if not UVA or Syr, I am at a loss as to what they would do for that last team.

Dont sleep on MIZZU. Or even Kansas at some point.

BTW, Nelson is M.H.V.e.r. Or to your point, Fishy. Not sure which. All 3 could be same, I suppose.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Nope. This is how the B1G operates. They make no sense. The B1G is a bunch of Michiganders who want to make as much money as they can while insuring Michigan has little competition for the league title. That's the B1G for you. GT makes perfect sense, just as Rutgers and Maryland did.

So Michigan and Texas are brothers with different mothers!

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Dont sleep on MIZZU. Or even Kansas at some point.

BTW, Nelson is M.H.V.e.r. Or to your point, Fishy. Not sure which. All 3 could be same, I suppose.

Agree, I could see Kansas or Mizzu. And yes, just maybe Fishy is Nelson!

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
So Michigan and Texas are brothers with different mothers!

Good one....and I'd say it works for UConn. UConn will surprise in the B1G....in all sports.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Agree, I could see Kansas or Mizzu. And yes, just maybe Fishy is Nelson!
Kansas and Colorado, not Mizzou.

Reaction Score
I think Duke/NCState/UNC/WF are fully committed. Not sure about UVa. I think GT, FSU, UM and the northern schools are FA, as you said.

As for the combo you're suggesting--I just can't buy BC. It just doesn't make sense for the B1G.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom