Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 24 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
For all of the Big Ten deniers, do you have any information which you can share that states UConn is not a credible candidate for the Big Ten? Heck, I'll even take noncredible ones like the syracuse sychophant pete thamel.

We've exhaustively shared why UConn is a good geographic, academic, demographic and tv market fit for the Big Ten. Is it your super secret insider connections combined with expansion intuition? Humor us.

We haven't heard any rumors about Quinnipiac or Holy Cross being rejected by the B1G either. :rolleyes:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
But you are using faulty logic to support and express conflicting POVs.

1. You are assuming the status quo continues when most people in-the-know believe that Conference Realignment is not done and that UConn is not long for this new conference. Given the moves on the academic side, the upgrades on the athletic side, as well as mere geography and demographics, I tend to agree. So the prudent move for UConn is to bide their time and win to increase on-field appeal. Program marketing must improve, but the status quo should change, and when it does, UConn has most assuredly put their best foot forward.

2. Independent football = program death knell. UConn went 9-3 in 2003, including a complete dressing down of Wake Forest in their own stadium, and were not invited to a bowl game. Contrary to what another poster thinks, it is not easy for a team of UConn's football stature to play a worthy FBS schedule and get invited to a bowl because all the bowls now have conference tie-ins. It’s an asinine idea.

3. Regarding flushing 3 programs down the tubes you need to discount Women’s Basketball. I think it's a good fundamental game and UConn is among the dominant programs, but there are so many more Have-nots than Haves, that it is not nearly as entertaining (save for a few pockets) to the rest of the country and not a revenue generator by any means as compared to the men’s game or football. It plays exactly zero roll in realignment. Related, UConn women's basketball success is tied directly to its Coach who is approaching 60. UConn’s program is in the same situation as the Old Big East. They will still play Stanford, Notre Dame (now OOC), and Baylor (Who will suck once Brittney Griner graduates), while destroying the rest of their conference.

4. Men’s Basketball is not as bad as you’d think either. Cinci, Memphis and Temple are not ‘Cuse (about to go on Probation), Pitt, and UL, but they are better than, if not equal to (year in and year out), Nova, Marquette, and Gtown. Butler, VCU, and Creighton feast on sub-par conference opponents and now they have to play each other plus Gtown.

5. A .500 conference record in either the Big East or C2bNL will not a Dance ticket earn, but the dregs of the C2bNL are in a better position than that of the Big East. The reason why is money, not TV money, but institutional money. The C2bNL is comprised of either public or well-funded private schools, which can devote resources to athletics in an effort to expand and improve the face of their institution. The schools in the New Big East cannot. So yes, in the short term, the Big East sends a few teams to the Tourney, but I believe it is far more sketching thereafter.

How's that for expressing my beliefs?

The women's basketball program makes millions of dollars for the school, and if it holds onto its SNY contract, actually generates more income than any other athletic program at the school going forward. Unless the money they generate is not legal tender in the United States, it should not be ignored.

You come at me with a handful of opinions all centered around the same bias that football>basketball in every way, shape and form. How many Final 8's and Final Fours does the C7 have in the last 10 years vs. the A12 without UConn? Look at on court performance, attendance, TV ratings, and math you want, the C7 blows the A12 away. Find me a relevant metric where the A12 schools without UConn are even close to the C7. Just 1.

You also do not appreciate how serious a revenue problem the A12 schedule creates for us beyond just the core TV deal. When UConn was in the Big East, it would play a preseason tournament somewhere, and then 2-3 home and homes with major programs. After that it was paycheck games, which sell tickets and create Tier 3 TV content. In the A12, we can't schedule like that anymore. To have a SOS in the Top 100, UConn will need to schedule 5-6 major opponents OOC. Those will be home and homes, which means 2-3 fewer home games every year, which will cost UConn millions. Who knows what ticket sales will look like with a schedule littered with ECU, Tulane and SMU. I am adamantly against playing more than 16 conference games.

Football is a little better in the A12, but we aren't getting paid for it. I am confident we would make a lot more money syndicating our home TV schedule in football if we were independent than we ever will in the A12. At the very least, the A12 should have just cancelled the TV contract and told the schools to get TV deals on their own. I bet almost every school would have done better than the current debacle.

The second point, about basketball, is the big one. UConn needs to remain a powerhouse in something to be attractive to any other league. If we become Houston in football and basketball, no one will ever want us. I think it is a lot easier to remain a national power in a league like the C7 than it will be in the A12.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The women's basketball program makes millions of dollars for the school, and if it holds onto its SNY contract, actually generates more income than any other athletic program at the school going forward. Unless the money they generate is not legal tender in the United States, it should not be ignored.

I said in terms of Conference realignment, it means nothing. I mentioned the money only to make the point of nationally, it is not a revenew generator on par with MBB and FB. Plus once Geno retires, that revenue stream will shrink. Grecian formula may allow him to look 35, but he is legally allowed to start withdrawing from his 401(k) without penalty.

You come at me with a handful of opinions all centered around the same bias that football>basketball in every way, shape and form. How many Final 8's and Final Fours does the C7 have in the last 10 years vs. the A12 without UConn? Look at on court performance, attendance, TV ratings, and math you want, the C7 blows the A12 away. Find me a relevant metric where the A12 schools without UConn are even close to the C7. Just 1.

1st Bold: In terms of Conference realignment, it is.
2nd Bold: But UConn is in the C2bNL. You can't discount them because going to the C7 was and is never an option. The C7 is not an option because going independent or downgrading football is not an option.
3rd Bold: The C2bNL has football. Every basketball-only conference in the country is mid major. I'm not saying that football playing conferences are definitely major conferences in basketball, but its not as mutually inclusive. Not only that but he C2bNL is made up of Public/well funded private school either willing or will be strongly encouraged to invest in their product. The indication is that the C7 is unwilling to break the status quo (evidence: the split away from the football schools).

You also do not appreciate how serious a revenue problem the A12 schedule creates for us beyond just the core TV deal. When UConn was in the Big East, it would play a preseason tournament somewhere, and then 2-3 home and homes with major programs. After that it was paycheck games, which sell tickets and create Tier 3 TV content. In the A12, we can't schedule like that anymore. To have a SOS in the Top 100, UConn will need to schedule 5-6 major opponents OOC. Those will be home and homes, which means 2-3 fewer home games every year, which will cost UConn millions. Who knows what ticket sales will look like with a schedule littered with ECU, Tulane and SMU. I am adamantly against playing more than 16 conference games.

UConn has to be invited to tournaments, but in any case what makes you think they won't be in the future, where they would be if they were in the Big East? The Big East is no longer the old Big East it does not have the casche it once did? UConn is a National Power with a history of Final 4's and National Championships. They were invited to Germany and they were a dead program walking!! You keep on focusing on the likes of Tulane and Houston without realizing that The Big East has the same number of bottom feeders with little hope of getting better. If PC starts making the Dance semi-regularly, will they be able to keep Ed Cooley? In a vacuum, no. The smart money has him going somewhere who can pay him closer to market value, regardless of where he's from.

Football is a little better in the A12, but we aren't getting paid for it. I am confident we would make a lot more money syndicating our home TV schedule in football if we were independent than we ever will in the A12. At the very least, the A12 should have just cancelled the TV contract and told the schools to get TV deals on their own. I bet almost every school would have done better than the current debacle.

You are among a very, very, very small minority.

The second point, about basketball, is the big one. UConn needs to remain a powerhouse in something to be attractive to any other league. If we become Houston in football and basketball, no one will ever want us. I think it is a lot easier to remain a national power in a league like the C7 than it will be in the A12.

You can't seem to understand that the basketball success for which you pine away just ain't happening without football.

I'll leave you with this final point... The last three NCAA Mens Basketball Champions without a Division 1 football team did it in 1985, 1984, and 1977. Coincidently, they were Villanova, Georgetown, and Marquette, respectively, but it was still over 28 years ago.

Reaction Score
Get a room already.

Padded for Nelson

padded-cell.jpg

Reaction Score
I have yet to hear about how the bowl alliance issue would be addressed through proposed UConn football independence. I guess we are assuming that Coach P will always be here and we won't have to worry about going to a bowl.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I have yet to hear about how the bowl alliance issue would be addressed through proposed UConn football independence. I guess we are assuming that Coach P will always be here and we won't have to worry about going to a bowl.

There are only two people that I've seen advocating for football independence. I don't think one really likes you and the other's attendance on the Boneyard is spotty at best.

Reaction Score
There are only two people that I've seen advocating for football independence. I don't think one really likes you and the other's attendance on the Boneyard is spotty at best.

I still want to hear what Fallacy Waylon's big plan is.

pj

Reaction Score
Do we know what the bowl affiliations of the new conference will be? It's not clear that independent status will be much worse. Scheduling is probably the bigger issue with independence. Heck, we could probably organize a bowl ourselves in NYC for UConn if it doesn't get an invite elsewhere, plus the best available other team.

Reaction Score
Do we know what the bowl affiliations of the new conference will be? It's not clear that independent status will be much worse. Scheduling is probably the bigger issue with independence. Heck, we could probably organize a bowl ourselves in NYC for UConn if it doesn't get an invite elsewhere, plus the best available other team.

Get ready for the quest for the coveted Beef O'Brady's Bowl bid against the #9 team from the SEC.

Reaction Score
MHr3@MH3
Just thought you'd guys like to know some news on the Md lawsuit is about to hit in the next week or so. ACC lawyers are advising settlement

Reaction Score
MHvr3@MHvr3
So I've checked and rechecked with every source I have. Even spoke to several people in main stream media. FSU to B10 doesn't have legs

MHvr3@MHer3
Did FSU want in the Big10? Yes. Did they submit an academic plan? Yes. They were turned down faster than North Korea at the UN

MHvr3@MHr3
@theDudeofWV @bizbanker58 I've been fed lines unknowingly before. It happens. But my info is from 3 B10 sources and one at FSU

Reaction Score
Pete Thamel @SIPeteThamel
Old Big East news: The group is trending toward using the word "Metro" when they re-name the league in the next few weeks.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Old Big East news: The group is trending toward using the word "Metro" when they re-name the league in the next few weeks.
bored-man.jpg

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score

Great, looking forward to being associated to this

metrosexualiy3.jpg

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
If it's Metro than the old Memphis, Cincy, Tulane (pre-CUSA) identity will be ours. Loser land.

Reaction Score
New vendor at the Rent, " Broach's! Get your broach's here!"

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Of course they are, "Doormat" doesn't fit on the letterhead.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I still like "Metro" anything over America(n) #.

America 12 was just honestly the lamest thing they could have possibly come up with.

Reaction Score
If it's Metro than the old Memphis, Cincy, Tulane (pre-CUSA) identity will be ours. Loser land.
Don't forget FSU, South Carolina, Louisville, Virginia Tech and Georgia Tech. Louisville won their 2 titles as a member of the Metro Conference.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Love that! I'm hoping the tweet is a sign that Donyell will be the next addition to the coaching staff.
Do we want our staff to be that incestuous?

I get a little concerned that there may not be diverse thought if everyone has the same background.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom