Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 198 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Mike Enright ‏@mikeenr · 28m28 minutes ago
He had an afternoon with @JoeDSports @TheRealGresh..tomorrow for @UConnHuskyAD it's a morning with the Mayor #WILI
CoIxNRhWgAAVn8q.jpg

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The leagues define them differently but generally they define a number of games each partner gets and what the selection process is.

Tier 1 games are the priority selections that end up on national networks. So no by definition you won't have tier 1 games not on TV.
Right. So you are saying that all but one of football games would be televised as part of the Big 12 TV deal? If so that would reduce the T3 inventory but would be good for exposure.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Right. So you are saying that all but one of football games would be televised as part of the Big 12 TV deal? If so that would reduce the T3 inventory but would be good for exposure.

It's probably worse for exposure. The AAC has a better deal for exposure.

It might get a bit sticky in NYC too with YES being Fox and UConn trying to sell the tier 3 to SNY.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
The math is pretty easy. They can steal more from 4 than 2. It's just short sighted enough to be perfect for the Big 12.
Fairly certain it's obviously short sighted because OU and UT know with the acc contract the big 12 is officially the dead conference walking. They are going to cash in for the remaining contract and be on their way.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It's probably worse for exposure. The AAC has a better deal for exposure.

It might get a bit sticky in NYC too with YES being Fox and UConn trying to sell the tier 3 to SNY.

YES it is then. If there is no B12N, I'm sure every team not named Texas would love some exposure on YES. YES has a wider reach than SNY. The Yankees wouldn't mind having the UConn content either, though they would bump some games for their NBA slate. You would risk some BB games not being on TV.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
YES it is then. If there is no B12N, I'm sure every team not named Texas would love some exposure on YES. YES has a wider reach than SNY. The Yankees wouldn't mind having the UConn content either, though they would bump some games for their NBA slate. You would risk some BB games not being on TV.

The Big 12 is already on YES.... UConn's t3 would be an addition but they already show a lot of the t2 regional games.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
The Big 12 is already on YES.... UConn's t3 would be an addition but they already show a lot of the t2 regional games.

More people would actually watch them. YES is national on satellite, but those games are bought for filler and not watched by B12 fans on YES. They use the lower division games for this purpose also, quite often.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
More people would actually watch them. YES is national on satellite, but those games are bought for filler and not watched by B12 fans on YES. They use the lower division games for this purpose also, quite often.

More people would watch B12 games on YES if UConn was in the league? Yes that is a pretty safe assumption if they get back on Comcast.

Of course they are just in the syndication network as filler. You can probably count their current average viewers on your fingers and toes.

Picking up UConn's t3 still might not make sense for them because you are pretty much talking about women's basketball games and they have the Nets.

Reaction Score
Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN · 14h14 hours ago
The air miles breakdowns to those seven Big 12 possibilities:
Houston 248
Memphis 431
Colo St 642
Cincinnati 812
UCF 984
BYU 989
UConn 1,470

jay kevin ‏@jaykevin62 · 14h14 hours ago
@ChuckCarltonDMN starting from where?

Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN · 13h13 hours ago
@themanbiff @jaykevin62 Those miles are from DFW. The website Air Miles Calculator will also give you the flight duration.

Of course, Commissioner Bob Bowlsby has repeatedly said he's more concerned with an electronic footprint than geographic one.

Brandon Helwig ‏@UCFSports · 14h14 hours ago
@ChuckCarltonDMN Better gauge is which airports have decent nonstop flights from Big 12 cities for non-revenue sports travel.

Chuck Carlton‏@ChuckCarltonDMN
@UCFSports Good point but most are close enough to major airports that it's not a huge factor. But yes, a lot of direct flights to MCO.

Educate the Ignorant ‏@UCF_Facts · 13h13 hours ago
@ChuckCarltonDMN I noticed it's not mileage to WV. Hmmmm. What's the air miles to WV again?

@UCF_Facts WVU is in the league, although on an island. More interesting would be mileage from WVU to candidates as a travel partner/rival.

@ChuckCarltonDMN Correct. That's what I was really asking. Is it better for the B12 to go east or west and 3 time zones.

@UCF_Facts Fair point. But as I tweeted a few minutes ago, Big 12 talking less geographic footprint than electronic footprint. So who knows?

Reaction Score

ShaggyBevo the Texas board is often full of poo but some guy on the Realignment Is Not Going Away thread was reporting a quid-pro-quo deal with UofH for Texas' Houston campus about a month ago.

I wouldn't bother looking there though. It's mostly ignorant, entitled youngsters talking about how Texas needs to be in the B1G and an incessant North Carolina fan bleating four hundred times a day about how Texas should be in the ACC.

Not a lot of quality info at all so it's utterly amazing they were actually on the vanguard of a news point.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The air miles breakdowns to those seven Big 12 possibilities:
Houston 248
Memphis 431
Colo St 642
Cincinnati 812
UCF 984
BYU 989
UConn 1,470

jay kevin ‏@jaykevin62 · 14h14 hours ago
@ChuckCarltonDMN starting from where?

@themanbiff @jaykevin62 Those miles are from DFW. The website Air Miles Calculator will also give you the flight duration.

Of course, Commissioner Bob Bowlsby has repeatedly said he's more concerned with an electronic footprint than geographic one.

Brandon Helwig ‏@UCFSports · 14h14 hours ago
@ChuckCarltonDMN Better gauge is which airports have decent nonstop flights from Big 12 cities for non-revenue sports travel.

@UCFSports Good point but most are close enough to major airports that it's not a huge factor. But yes, a lot of direct flights to MCO.

@ChuckCarltonDMN I noticed it's not mileage to WV. Hmmmm. What's the air miles to WV again?

@UCF_Facts WVU is in the league, although on an island. More interesting would be mileage from WVU to candidates as a travel partner/rival.

@ChuckCarltonDMN Correct. That's what I was really asking. Is it better for the B12 to go east or west and 3 time zones.

@UCF_Facts Fair point. But as I tweeted a few minutes ago, Big 12 talking less geographic footprint than electronic footprint. So who knows?
Perhaps time is more important that distance?

Air time + travel time from airport to field, would be a more useful metric.

Reaction Score
As per @NYUConn these are key tweets:

Ed Daigneault ‏@EdDaigneault 16m16 minutes ago
Met with UConn AD David Benedict today. He said he hasn't spoken directly with anybody in Big 12 but ...

Ed Daigneault‏@EdDaigneault
"we're having communication. We're giving the information we feel is appropriate and will help us moving forward."

Ed Daigneault ‏@EdDaigneault 10m10 minutes ago
Benedict said in regard to any expansion, "there's been ongoing work on this long before my tenure. Things are going on behind scenes."

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
As per @NYUConn these are key tweets:

Ed Daigneault ‏@EdDaigneault 16m16 minutes ago
Met with UConn AD David Benedict today. He said he hasn't spoken directly with anybody in Big 12 but ...

Ed Daigneault‏@EdDaigneault
"we're having communication. We're giving the information we feel is appropriate and will help us moving forward."

Ed Daigneault ‏@EdDaigneault 10m10 minutes ago
Benedict said in regard to any expansion, "there's been ongoing work on this long before my tenure. Things are going on behind scenes."

Sounds like full blown FOIA avoidance.

Reaction Score
Duh. People have been complaining about that for months. Most speculation (from Adimeback.com) is that the discussions are being conducted through the private, UConn Foundation.
I would be surprised if Tranghese comes up to UConn and talks in person to Herbst and Benedict as well. Anything to eliminate a trail (emails, texts, etc....)

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
FOIA isn't a blank check to insert yourself into an ongoing decision making process as it is a right to see the record afterwards.

Reaction Score
If electronic footprint is the goal, we're in. Let's hope the Big Ten adds us in our lifetimes so we can travel to games more easily...

If UT or OU left and we were left behind, we'd be one of the most powerful institutions in whatever would become of the Big 12.

Reaction Score
If electronic footprint is the goal, we're in. Let's hope the Big Ten adds us in our lifetimes so we can travel to games more easily...

If UT or OU left and we were left behind, we'd be one of the most powerful institutions in whatever would become of the Big 12.

Really, explain please.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score

He deferred questions on options to Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby, but did reply when asked about Texas’ stance on its Longhorn Network.

“My view is we didn’t really address that issue directly, but one of the things we’re very interested in is a new kind of platform,” Gee said. “One can make an argument that in three or four years we’re going to be moving away from the traditional kind of [conference] networks. Frankly, from my point of view — and many points of view — I think that’s where we’re heading.”

So will the Big 12 move to 12 or 14 schools?

“I’m not going to speculate,” Gee said. “I’ve always been very bullish on expansion. But I want to make sure we get the right teams with the right cultures. If there’s 12, that’s great. If there’s 14, that’s great. But I want to make sure we do it right — and get the right group of people together.”

The next step in expansion apparently falls to Bowlsby and his staff.

“I think the commissioner will be doing his due diligence between now and our next scheduled meeting, which I think is in October,” Gee said. “I suspect he’ll be prepared to discuss recommendations with us then.”

- See more at: Mitch Vingle: WVU’s Gee: Big 12 doesn’t want to be predators

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom