Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 149 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
92% all-time capacity so how come we are scoffed at? Why isn't that joke at the expense of Memphis?

I feel like we're in the twilight zone here. A program playing in a 50 yr old stadium, that until recently couldn't avg. more than 20,000 people gets more respect than us and are deemed a top candidate. If it wasn't so sad it'd be funny.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
92% all-time capacity so how come we are scoffed at? Why isn't that joke at the expense of Memphis?

I feel like we're in the twilight zone here. A program playing in a 50 yr old stadium, that until recently couldn't avg. more than 20,000 people gets more respect than us and are deemed a top candidate. If it wasn't so sad it'd be funny.

It really is aggravating to read UConn getting pummeled by sports writers for attendance but then tote UCF as "footbally". Umm, they didn't win a single game last season and their attendance was also pitiful.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What's the collective IQ of sports journalists? You can go through life being lazy and stupid.

The job pays nothing. That's what you get. Computers write better gamers.

The internet is filled with people who write for fun that are 20x better.

Reaction Score
The job pays nothing. That's what you get. Computers write better gamers.

The internet is filled with people who write for fun that are 20x better.

Really? I always figured they made good coin covering sports, which is kind of like a dream job. Dodd in particular pissed me off today. His trash article put the buffoon in buffoonery.

Reaction Score
Really? I always figured they made good coin covering sports, which is kind of like a dream job. Dodd in particular pissed me off today. His trash article put the buffoon in buffoonery.

National guys do pretty darn well, especially if the are tied to a network like Dodd/CBS.

Local guys make dirt.

Reaction Score
This is why I stopped reading. My baseline was Lupica. Guys like Goodman, Parrish, Doyle , Zagoria, and anyone else aren't worth your time or click. Show some restraint and don't do it. It's worth it. I promise

Reaction Score
This is why I stopped reading. My baseline was Lupica. Guys like Goodman, Parrish, Doyle , Zagoria, and anyone else aren't worth your time or click. Show some restraint and don't do it. It's worth it. I promise
Yeah, I like reading about my Huskies, but today was sheetshow. Its one time to state your opinion as just that, but Dodd was just spouting nonsense as fact.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

After graduation I spent a year in local media and a year at ESPN.

National guys like Dodd make enough to not sweat their mortgage - but I doubt they are getting rich. When your business model is based on clicks you can only be so comfortable.

The guys at the Courant are scraping by.

From experience I can tell you why sports writers are so surly - it's an awful job and you are on the wrong end of every dynamic.

Reaction Score
Define pretty well.

I'm not pretending to know anyone's salary but a national reporter with 15-20 years under their belt writing for a national site like ESPN/CBS could be pulling in between 150-200K per year.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
It really is aggravating to read UConn getting pummeled by sports writers for attendance but then tote UCF as "footbally". Umm, they didn't win a single game last season and their attendance was also pitiful.
Its all about the retweetin'.

Reaction Score
I doubt it. Doyle quit CBS for the Indy Star.

I could be wrong but I believe Doyel always had the Star column concurrent with his gig at CBS.

Either way he's kind of the exception. I can't think of any other journalists who have left a national network or publication to go to a local or regional one willingly.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Wow, Dodd goes to the old "bloggers live in their mom's basement" trope. The trump card for all professional journalists.
I'd love to see him poke holes in any of the facts that some of these "basement bloggers" have said in regards to UConn. The reality is he likely can't in most cases. It seems that plenty have done so to Dodds "big boy CBS writer" article......so not quite sure what ground he has to stand on here. Dope

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Four top candidates ... Cinci, UConn, Colorado State, BYU ... Interesting on the CSU inclusion.

Yep, some of the Twitter conversation has the Big 12 offering Cinci, UConn full memberships and BYU and CSU as football only. It eliminates the play on Sunday objections, since that is driven largely by Olympic sports.

FWIW, I don't see the Big 12 going east and west but what do I know.

Reaction Score
Geography is absolutely a non-factor. It's simply a talking point for all of us not in the know. I mean, how much longer will it take the Longhorns to play in east Hartford than Morgantown, door to door? Besides, while playing at the Rent, Coach Strong can spend all day Friday in Bristol. That's pretty good exposure any coach would want.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yep, some of the Twitter conversation has the Big 12 offering Cinci, UConn full memberships and BYU and CSU as football only. It eliminates the play on Sunday objections, since that is driven largely by Olympic sports.

I would agree that having teams I Eastern, Central and Mountain is difficult.

It can be overcome but it does limit some scheduling options and options for drawing up divisions.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I would agree that having teams I Eastern, Central and Mountain is difficult.

It can be overcome but it does limit some scheduling options and options for drawing up divisions.

It's no big deal for just football. It would be a nightmare for all sports.

Reaction Score

Because "football only" has been such a good idea for conferences in the past . . .

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom