Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 147 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
... And still total silence from the people that matter in Storrs. This is going to be a long couple of weeks.

ICYMI:

jacobscourant May 03, 2:29pm via Twitter Web Client
Getting number of tweets/emails about UConn and Big 12: Talked to the highest sources in Storrs other day. They remain in holding pattern.

jacobscourant May 03, 2:32pm via Twitter Web Client
It's up to Big 12. UConn believes it has learned the line between being letting its positives be known to Big 12 & publicly begging.

jacobscourant May 03, 2:37pm via Twitter Web Client
This is UConn's pivate take: Power 5 conferences expand now for national not regional footprint. With NY, this can work to UConn advantage.

jacobscourant May 03, 2:38pm via Twitter Web Client
Just remember it's those Big 12 presidents doing the picking. They're the ones with the power.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So, people in Austin are saying there is no incentive to expand. Bowlsby is suggesting that expansion is being discussed. Cincy claims they are in. And still total silence from the people that matter in Storrs. This is going to be a long couple of weeks.
Would you rather the people in Storrs live-tweeting their dinner at their favorite Norman, OK restaurant?

Reaction Score
Ultimately, Texas knows a "status quo" vote pushes Oklahoma out the door. Which they may be fine with by the way if they are looking to move to a different P5 in 9-10 years.

One thing I wonder is if this Big 12 network does become created do the smaller Big 12 schools push for the GOR to be extended out far into the future far away from the B1G's next round of contracts in 2023ish in order to keep Oklahoma and Texas from being courted.

Reaction Score
John E. Hoover ‏@johnehoover 6h6 hours ago

I do think they'll announce in June that they've voted to begin the expansion process. Which will take 8-12 months.

John E. HooverVerified account
@johnehoover
Co-host of Further Review w Hoover & Rew on The Franchise Tulsa ... Columnist at http://TheFranchiseOK.com ... Listen at am1270/fm107.9 in Tulsa, fm107.7 in OKC

Tulsa, OK

Reaction Score
Does anyone have an answer as to why Tim Brando is pumping up BYU so hard on his Twitter??

Reaction Score
Does anyone have an answer as to why Tim Brando is pumping up BYU so hard on his Twitter??
Brando is "dear friends" with AAC commish Mike Aresco. With Big 12 expansion likely, it's increasingly looking like teams will be taken from the AAC. The fewer teams from the American that are taken, the better it is for the conference and Aresco.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
John E. Hoover ‏@johnehoover 6h6 hours ago

I do think they'll announce in June that they've voted to begin the expansion process. Which will take 8-12 months.

John E. HooverVerified account
@johnehoover
Co-host of Further Review w Hoover & Rew on The Franchise Tulsa ... Columnist at http://TheFranchiseOK.com ... Listen at am1270/fm107.9 in Tulsa, fm107.7 in OKC

Tulsa, OK
So expansion teams will be invited in June and will join in 8-12 months;), is what he is saying.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Brando is "dear friends" with AAC commish Mike Aresco. With Big 12 expansion likely, it's increasingly looking like teams will be taken from the AAC. The fewer teams from the American that are taken, the better it is for the conference and Aresco.
Aresco is a UConn law grad and a Connecticut resident. You really think he wants us to stay in the AAC? Seriously?

Where's @Fishy ??

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Aresco is a UConn law grad and a Connecticut resident. You really think he wants us to stay in the AAC? Seriously?

Where's @Fishy ??
Yeah, I think he does actually. His job is maximizing the AAC and keeping it viable and relevant. UConn is a huge contributor to those goals.

FWIW, it has always bugged me that he is quick to hype the other American programs, but is reserved in his praise of UConn.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yeah, I think he does actually. His job is maximizing the AAC and keeping it viable and relevant. UConn is a huge contributor to those goals.

FWIW, it has always bugged me that he is quick to hype the other American programs, but is reserved in his praise of UConn.

The conspiracy theorists would say that UConn has already secretly (ala L'ville) put in its required intent to the leave the conference notice and that Aresco has to pump up the brand minus the team that's leaving. Or so the theory goes.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Where's @Fishy ??
Aresco absolutely wants UConn to stay in the AAC. UConn gives the AAC significance. It is arguably the most athletically prestigious program in G5. Aresco's current $Million salary depends on keeping the AAC relevant.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Hey look another media member against B12 expansion... and who also thinks UConn is probably not in the top 2 anyway:

Reaction Score
Hey look another media member against B12 expansion... and who also thinks UConn is probably not in the top 2 anyway:

This Clay Travis guy is the biggest loser of them all. It is hard to believe that anyone can top the pile, but he is the worst.

Reaction Score
Aresco absolutely wants UConn to stay in the AAC. UConn gives the AAC significance. It is arguably the most athletically prestigious program in G5. Aresco's current $Million salary depends on keeping the AAC relevant.
He can easily find a job elsewhere. He's very well connected. I am aware of UConn being a or the lynchpin member of the AAC. With the goofiness exhibited in college realignment, wouldn't be surprised if we are still in the AAC for this purpose.

Reaction Score
From a guy that listened to Chip Brown on a radio show this morning (not encouraging for UConn unless ESPN steps to the plate): "I was just listening to College Sports Nation on XM 84 and the guest was Chip Brown from HornsDigest.com talking about Texas and the Big 12 expansion. A few interesting points came out of the discussion.

The Longhorn Network deal that runs 20 years at 290 million is heavily back loaded with much bigger payouts for Texas the last few years of the deal. This year Texas received only 9 million.

Texas wouldn’t consider folding the LHN into a conference network unless they were paid in full for the negotiated contract. He said the reason the LHN was created was to keep Texas in the Big12 and short of leaving the conference Texas doesn’t see a reason to not get paid.

Texas is for expansion but their position is unless the right schools are added its dilution not expansion.

Texas feels schools like UConn and Cincinnati don’t move the needle for the conference.

He mentioned contacting Arizona and Arizona State to see if they would consider moving away from their TV deal with the PAC12 for something better in the Big 12, or the possibility of Clemson and FSU deciding they are tired of playing football in a basketball conference and would want to step up.

He felt like if Texas decided to move out of the Big12 staying in the central time zone would be important. He said the BIG or SEC could be potential landing spots, the PAC12 wouldn’t be attractive because of playing games at 9PM Texas time."

About Arizona and Arizona St, there are 6.5m people in Arizona. The average salary for the state is on the small side. No state legislature other than Louisiana has thrashed the higher ed budgets more than Arizona. This is the only little bit of info that I questioned here. As a market, Arizona is not that great.

Reaction Score
From a guy that listened to Chip Brown on a radio show this morning (not encouraging for UConn unless ESPN steps to the plate): "I was just listening to College Sports Nation on XM 84 and the guest was Chip Brown from HornsDigest.com talking about Texas and the Big 12 expansion. A few interesting points came out of the discussion.

The Longhorn Network deal that runs 20 years at 290 million is heavily back loaded with much bigger payouts for Texas the last few years of the deal. This year Texas received only 9 million.

Texas wouldn’t consider folding the LHN into a conference network unless they were paid in full for the negotiated contract. He said the reason the LHN was created was to keep Texas in the Big12 and short of leaving the conference Texas doesn’t see a reason to not get paid.

Texas is for expansion but their position is unless the right schools are added its dilution not expansion.

Texas feels schools like UConn and Cincinnati don’t move the needle for the conference.

He mentioned contacting Arizona and Arizona State to see if they would consider moving away from their TV deal with the PAC12 for something better in the Big 12, or the possibility of Clemson and FSU deciding they are tired of playing football in a basketball conference and would want to step up.

He felt like if Texas decided to move out of the Big12 staying in the central time zone would be important. He said the BIG or SEC could be potential landing spots, the PAC12 wouldn’t be attractive because of playing games at 9PM Texas time."

About Arizona and Arizona St, there are 6.5m people in Arizona. The average salary for the state is on the small side. No state legislature other than Louisiana has thrashed the higher ed budgets more than Arizona. This is the only little bit of info that I questioned here. As a market, Arizona is not that great.
Appreciate the Intel. Arizona and ASU move the needle is LOL funny.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Texas people are literally grasping at anything to keep from expanding. If they can break they GOR than Clemson and FSU leaving the ACC only helps us. I don't see Arizona and ASU leaving the PAC-12.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
He can easily find a job elsewhere. He's very well connected. I am aware of UConn being a or the lynchpin member of the AAC. With the goofiness exhibited in college realignment, wouldn't be surprised if we are still in the AAC for this purpose.

"Mutually agreeing to part company," looks good on no one's resume', no matter how well connected the person is.

Other than fandom, in what other aspect does Aresco stand to profit significantly from a UConn move? Keeping UConn in the AAC is business and unless the personal standpoint relates to family, money/business usually wins out.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
"Mutually agreeing to part company," looks good on no one's resume', no matter how well connected the person is.

Other than fandom, in what other aspect does Aresco stand to profit significantly from a UConn move? Keeping UConn in the AAC is business and unless the personal standpoint relates to family, money/business usually wins out.

You mean he wont actually want to spend more time with his family? :eek:

Reaction Score
I've always thought of Chip as having pretty good intel, and while the zona move makes no sense, I believe the B12 will approach the FSU-Clemson duo first. If they say no, they can always go to Plan B. Besides, they have a very sellable pitch - do you want to wait for the BIG or the SEC to cast an eye your way (and at your conference mates, not you) and then react or be proactive. It's happening, why wait for UVa and/or UNC to move? Come join the B12, where football is #1.

Reaction Score

ASU & UofA rely heavily on their California recruiting for the majority of their athletes. I don't think there is any way that either of these schools do anything that will cut them off to California athletes.

As a side note, the Phoenix TV market is actually very strong. It is ranked 12 nationally and for 6-8 months a year it has a ton of snowbirds primarily from the Midwest & east coast which makes it attractive to advertisers.

Reaction Score
ASU & UofA rely heavily on their California recruiting for the majority of their athletes. I don't think there is any way that either of these schools do anything that will cut them off to California athletes.

As a side note, the Phoenix TV market is actually very strong. It is ranked 12 nationally and for 6-8 months a year it has a ton of snowbirds primarily from the Midwest & east coast which makes it attractive to advertisers.

I get that Phoenix has a lot of people. I was just referring to the relative strength of Arizona. 6m low income people divided by 2 schools. It is not a big advantage over UConn's 3.6m people with high incomes and only 1 school.

Reaction Score
I get that Phoenix has a lot of people. I was just referring to the relative strength of Arizona. 6m low income people divided by 2 schools. It is not a big advantage over UConn's 3.6m people with high incomes and only 1 school.

Tucson is an afterthought in all this. Nobody is targeting the UofA as an expansion candidate. IF there was a real AZ target it is ASU & the Phoenix market that would be targeted & UofA & Tucson would basically come along for the ride. Maricopa County, where ASU is located, has 4.1MM residents and there is virtually no recognition of the UofA here.

If there was a competition between the AZ schools and say UConn & Cinci to the B12 the clear advantage IMO would be the AZ schools.

The good thing about this is we are wasting our time arguing about it because ASU & UofA are not leaving the PAC for B12

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom