Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 148 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Maricopa County, where ASU is located, has 4.1MM residents and there is virtually no recognition of the UofA here.
In a thread filled with insane statements, this is near the top. Bravo.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
This article was published yesterday but tweeted today.

Specifically, the Longhorns are open to conference expansion, but only if a clear, compelling case can be made that an available school would upgrade the league as a whole. Thus far, neither Perrin nor Fenves has been convinced that such a target exists.

Likewise, one official said UT is not categorically opposed to exploring OU president David Boren’s desire for a conference network, but that the school would need to be convinced that giving up the Longhorn Network would be in its best interests. Again, UT has been pitched no plan satisfying that requirement.

Neither of those positions has changed since Perrin and Fenves have been in their respective offices. But because the Longhorns’ new athletic director and president aren’t as quotable — or as willing to be quoted — as their predecessors, UT is battling the perception that it’s not running the show anymore.

[Perrin] and Fenves continue to receive plenty of it. In addition to pitches from fellow Big 12 members in favor of expansion, there have been overtures from schools like BYU and Cincinnati who would love to join the conference. And last December 15, in a letter first reported by the Memphis Commercial-Appeal and obtained by the Express-News this week, Memphis president David Rudd implored* Fenves to “connect via phone” and review promotional materials about the Tigers’ school and athletic program.

UT, while not shutting the door on the idea, remains skeptical that some of the expansion candidates would generate revenue, fit in academically, or ultimately help the long-term outlook of the league.

*implore

[im-plawr, -plohr] :
verb (used with object), implored, imploring.
to beg urgently or piteously, as for aid or mercy; beseech; entreat:
They implored him to go.
to beg urgently or piteously for (aid, mercy, pardon, etc.):
implore forgiveness.

verb (used without object), implored, imploring.
to make urgent or piteous supplication.

#IMPLOREHARDER

Reaction Score
Dennis Dodd ‏@dennisdoddcbs · 17h17 hours ago

Big 12 leaves spring meetings with a purpose: Live up to its name

This kills me:

The Big 12 being left out once (in 2014) is why the league has sweated itself into this position. Expansion isn’t so much about money. One industry source said the financial gain would be minimal at best.

The Big 12 would have to split its bowl and NCAA Tournament revenues 12 ways instead of 10. And rightsholders Fox and ESPN wouldn’t exactly be happy. Taking in two American Athletic Conference teams -- let’s say, Cincinnati and Central Florida -- would mean those schools would get a per-year bump from about $1.6 million to more than $20 million.

“Why,” that source questioned, “because they changed the logo on their jersey?”

Well, we took a huge pay cut because we "changed the logo on the jersey". Was that fair? It just makes you want to punch these guys. Nothing about realignment has been fair, especially to UConn, and the ones who haven't been touched just sit there with a sense of entitlement.

Reaction Score
Dennis Dodd ‏@dennisdoddcbs · 17h17 hours ago

Big 12 leaves spring meetings with a purpose: Live up to its name

This kills me:

The Big 12 being left out once (in 2014) is why the league has sweated itself into this position. Expansion isn’t so much about money. One industry source said the financial gain would be minimal at best.

The Big 12 would have to split its bowl and NCAA Tournament revenues 12 ways instead of 10. And rightsholders Fox and ESPN wouldn’t exactly be happy. Taking in two American Athletic Conference teams -- let’s say, Cincinnati and Central Florida -- would mean those schools would get a per-year bump from about $1.6 million to more than $20 million.

“Why,” that source questioned, “because they changed the logo on their jersey?”

Well, we took a huge pay cut because we "changed the logo on the jersey". Was that fair? It just makes you want to punch these guys. Nothing about realignment has been fair, especially to UConn, and the ones who haven't been touched just sit there with a sense of entitlement.
I just don't get the conscious omission of UConn. Who $&k suggested the two teams ever to be Cincy and UCF!!!!

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I just don't get the conscious omission of UConn. Who $&k suggested the two teams ever to be Cincy and UCF!!!!
He said on the radio it was a pure guess on his part.

Reaction Score

Its simple, if you are a Big12 guy who does not want expansion you pick teams that are viscerally unpalatable.

Notice how the UT party-line guys want to argue East Carolina and Memphis on the numbers but summarily dismiss UConn as "ridiculous" and beyond even consideration. Numbers are only used when they support non-expansion.

The more I watch this circus the more I am struck by how bad the media providers and financially winning team will argue anything to keep the game the same.

Next anti-expansion argument up, unplugging and changing media platforms make reforming the Big12 unnecessary. I mean it could change at some point so the Big12 should just keep losing until then...that said, if the Big12 does nothing then the BIG and SEC will still outflank the Big12 when the platforms change but it will be a new losing game.

Just plain dumb....

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Dennis Dodd ‏@dennisdoddcbs The Big 12 would have to split its bowl and NCAA Tournament revenues 12 ways instead of 10. And rightsholders Fox and ESPN wouldn’t exactly be happy.

Yeah, but UConn will generate additional Bowl and NCAA Tournament revenue. Basketball would be second to none in the Big 12, with Kansas being the only peer. Now people will be critical of football, but we've been relatively successful, but for the Pasqualoni years. There's no reason to believe that we wouldn't generate Bowl and Tourny revenue.

As to Fox and ESPN not being happy, why wouldn't they be. UConn basketball is a better draw than the bulk of the Big 12. That will drive more eyeballs to the games, and result in higher advertiser revenue. Football, it will take some time, but we are a nationally recognized brand. We'd do well ratings wise with decent opponents.

Reaction Score

I'm not sure if its a deliberate omission as much as it is a reflection of the lack of knowledge or in some cases plain ignorance of some of these "reporters" In fairness does anyone really have a clue what metrics matter to The Big 12? Does The Big 12?

Common sense dictates that they should take the 2 best brands available in UCONN and BYU. These two are P5 programs languishing in G5 Limbo. UCONN was a victim of The destruction of The ACC, while BYU's demotion is more self imposed because of its own inflexibility.

With nothing changing on BYU's end regarding Sunday Scheduling, it makes sense to consider the next best brand Cincy as their replacement. That said The Big 12 has proven to be a ship of fools with decision making bordering on Big East levels. Literally nothing this conference does would surprise me. They could just as easily add Houston and Tulane as a way to compete with The SEC in that neck of the woods. Who here couldn't picture some jag off giving a speech how geographically the additions just made sense.

Reaction Score
Unless and until it is able to successfully raid the ACC, the XII will never be competitive financially with the Big Ten and the SEC, but it's goal has to be third. The path to beating the ACC and Pac Ten is to expand the Big XII geographically as much as possible with programs that have enough market power to help. (Temple is not at the top of the list not because Philadelphia isn't a great market, but because Temple has little market power in it).

If there is really talk about 14 -- and who the heck knows -- I can see them taking BYU and Boise as football only and UConn and Cincy as full members. They expand west towards the Pacific coast and pin the Pac whatever to the geography it now has. They get two football programs that are known nationally. And neither of those schools gives a rat's butt about their other sports anyway. Which in BYU's case solves the Sunday issues. And then you take UConn and Cincy, which brings you into the Rust Belt and Northeast, gives you competitive football and hoops in Cincy, and gives you a top tier men's hoop program and the dominant women's sports brand.

Does it make sense? Sure. Is there any real thought of going not to XII and then making a future play for FSU and Clemson but going to 14 now with Boise and BYU? No clue. But it's intriguing. And don't compare it to the Big EAst. The Big East never had a problem with the schools who were brought in as football onlies -- RU, WVu and others became full members, and Temple left, but none of that brought any real issues to the league. It was the fact that half the league didn't play football that was the unique problem.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score

The report says FedEx spends big money on sports and would follow suit in the Big 12.

I guess my response would be, if FedEx is all fired up about Memphis football, why hasn’t it built Memphis an on-campus football stadium, and why Memphis gone about the business of filling it up?

OSU and Baylor and TCU have built brand new stadiums. Texas Tech, too, virtually. Kansas State and Iowa State have refurbished stadiums that are great. OU and Texas have turned their tradition-rich stadiums into jewels. Plus, they are OU and Texas.

Memphis plays in an antiquated stadium that’s off campus. The city of Memphis has poured some money into the Liberty Bowl in recent years.

But the truth is, there is no great evidence that Memphis cares about football. Big 12 membership? Sure, Memphis cares about that. But not football. Not on any kind of serious basis.

The Big 12 needs two new members who can say, look what we’ve done without a major conference. Not two members who say look what we would do with a major conference.

Memphis is too big of a risk for the Big 12.

tramel001.jpg
Berry Tramel
(Make sure to expand the quote as there are some juicy lines beneath the fold).

Trammel is probably close enough to Boren and OU that his take on Memphis is close to their take on Memphis. I hope.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Joe D and Gresh are right here in our market on the UCONN station and don't have a realignment clue. Writers in other areas have the same lack of realignment knowledge. It is simply a topic they annoyingly have to cover.

I hate to say this, but The-Boneyard Conference Realignment posters have a much better pulse on realignment because we live this stuff daily, analyzing each tweet key and non-key. We know much more about it than 90% of these "media types"

Reaction Score
Joe D and Gresh are right here in our market on the UCONN station and don't have a realignment clue. Writers in other areas have the same lack of realignment knowledge. It is simply a topic they annoyingly have to cover.

I hate to say this, but The-Boneyard Conference Realignment posters have a much better pulse on realignment because we live this stuff daily, analyzing each tweet key and non-key. We know much more about it than 90% of these "media types"
The problem is that there are so many different sources out there that it is impossible to know who's information is the most accurate. You can literally find sources to support any direction you think realignment is going to go. I read things sometimes and think we are right on the edge of realignment and then read other things and think that we will never get in a P-5 conference. So I have a hard time saying someone doesn't know what they are talking about in this. I think most fans opinions on this are based on what they want to happen.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Gresh is woefully under-prepared (dare I say completely unprepared) to discuss college sports in a DMA dominated by college sports. He is merely adequate at discussing pro sports. He doesn't want to be here, but the irony is he ain't going back into a single digit market unless he thrives here. WTIC's format requires Gresh to be on the air literally for only 4 out of every 10 minutes and it seems like, more often than not, 2 of those 4 are spent rehashing the prior segment.

I remember when he first came on the scene in the late 90's/early 00's on WPRO 790, the Score out of Providence, where he cut his teeth with Coach Colletto. He was okay, but Coach clearly carried the show. Gresh has regressed over the last 15 years, which is why he is in the Hartford market to begin with!!!! Even with a URI education, you'd think he'd be able to recognize that.;)

Reaction Score
....and yet another national media member spouting conventional wisdom groupthink...

Lol. We could get 57000 to watch us play Texas in a snowstorm. Where do they get this stuff? The problem is we'll beat Texas in the snowstorm and the crowd that Robert Griffin got a taste of will be there to rub it in. I'm telling you the naysayers know we're going to steal their lunch.

Reaction Score

They are playing the listeners. Gresh was brought on to drive up clicks. I was reading yesterday about ones of the most successful online sites having to do with film and books. One of the founding editors left and basically said that once there was a new revenue model for advertising (away from getting paid monthly for a number of ads) to clicks, it drove journalism toward clickbait tactics.

Reaction Score
....and yet another national media member spouting conventional wisdom groupthink...

Wow I can't believe an alleged professional sports writer just wrote that...it does not discuss markets, networks or population footprint as driving forces in conference expansion.

Dennis Dodd completely misses what drives conference realignment and why the Big12 is losing at realignment. I can only assume UT is leaving an envelop with cash under his floor mat as we speak.

Best quote "Uh, no. UConn doesn’t “deliver” the New York market. UConn might be the best player never to win a major. (Translated: Best school not in the Power Five) But it’s a long way back to the big time. It’s not always what you deserve; it’s what you can deliver."

Never to win a major? How about the 4 National Championship in Men's basketball? How about a BCS bowl appearance in football? How about the most dominate WBB in history with 10 National Championships? Is that "big time" enough? Or maybe"deliver" means markets/money which of course Dodd didn't discuss.

UConn "delivers" a lot more than most of the Big12 programs. Somehow Dodd has managed to imply any championships outside of a P5 conference don't count. This dude should be embarrassed by his ignorance.

Reaction Score

I've been listening to Joe D and Gresh talk CR the last couple of days and you're right, they have no clue. Ever since Dennis Dodd mentioned UCF, they've been falling all over themselves to hype UCF. The sad part is that some of the callers agree with them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom