Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 146 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
No, they did not. The GOR is in addition to the exit fee.

I should have said that the GORs were put in place as they are perceived to be stronger than exit fees which have not been fully enforced, as Maryland left the ACC for $31 million, not $52 million. That said, we don't know what ND's potential exit fee is from the ACC as they are not a full member.

Reaction Score
I should have said that the GORs were put in place as they are perceived to be stronger than exit fees which have not been fully enforced, as Maryland left the ACC for $31 million, not $52 million. That said, we don't know what ND's potential exit fee is from the ACC as they are not a full member.

Notre Dame's exit fee is $52 million. What we don't know is whether the ACC could withhold enough fast enough (like they did with Maryland).

The cost of breaking a GOR and the contract stipulation that if Notre Dame joins another league for football before 2027 it will be the ACC, is also an unknown....and will be until a GOR is actually contested.

Reaction Score
It's crazy to think we wouldn't have a say in who 16 was(In the ACC)...

Oh well, not going to argue this.

It is absurd to think this.

As I said, unless ND is worth $60m or more to ESPN, why would ESPN agree to lose ever more money with Navy? You're asking ESPN to take a $20+m hit per year. You think ESPN is going to do that?

I have no idea if the ACC would do that. The ACC makes bonehead decisions constantly. They are liable to do anything. They might add Elon next. No one knows. But the point is, ESPN is not going to jack up TV payouts to double ND's worth just to assuage you guys. Ain't gonna happen.

Reaction Score

There's a chasm between "we wouldn't have a say" and "we'd get to pick #16," which is what you said. The ACC is not adding Navy. The ACC also wouldn't add Buffalo, UMass, or Old Dominion even if ND asked.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame's exit fee is $52 million. What we don't know is whether the ACC could withhold enough fast enough (like they did with Maryland).

The cost of breaking a GOR and the contract stipulation that if Notre Dame joins another league for football before 2027 it will be the ACC, is also an unknown....and will be until a GOR is actually contested.

According to Swofford, ND has a $50 million exit fee, but I think the issue is unclear as we haven't seen the contract and ND is a partial member. Since ND only gets a 20% share of the ACC TV revenues ($4 mill per year?) for its Olympic sports ex-hockey, I don't think breaking the GOR is a problem. As for joining another conference for football, they could wait to join the Big 10 and live up to that contract provision if it can't be broken.

At the end of the day, none of us have seen any of contracts between the ACC and ND or the ACC GORs, so I would assume everything is negotiable and probably not as punitive as you may think.

Reaction Score

I think the ND fans on here are missing one major point. If ND is to join a conference, it will be out of their need just as much as the conferences desire. I agree that as of now they do not need a conference affiliation, but if down the line they are being shut out of the playoff due to their independence, you're not doing the conference anymore of a favor than they are doing for you. Therefore, you walking in and calling the shots isn't as simple as it may seem. Yes you could use it as leverage as to which conference to join, but if the contract with the ACC is strong enough that you are obligated to it, they could give a rat's who you want, they're going to do what's best for the conference. As far as "but what are we going to do about our OOC games scheduled?", you're going to pick the ones the ones that you feel are best suited and cancel the others, you can't have your cake and eat it too. Again, I am talking hypothetically, but if it comes down to this, ND is going to have to swallow some of its pride and join a conference or be an after thought unless going undefeated every year.

Reaction Score
Then who would be added(Still believe we would have large sway on the vote)? Let's pretend we don't ,who would fit the criteria that the football schools would want(FSU,Clemson,VT, Notre Dame, Miami). More likely we stay at 15 with deregulation just passed.
To the ACC with ND, no one. That is why ND goes with 1 to the B1G because then you get the chance to add another major from say the Big 12 or maybe even the ACC at the same time. There is no one that you could persuade from an existing P5 to join the ACC.

Reaction Score
But that does not leave room for series or annual games against teams like Texas, Georgia, Stanford, Texas A&M, etc.. (all on ND's future schedules), plus the recently rumored games against teams like Alabama and LSU, etc...along with the Shamrock Series games in pro stadiums around the country.

This is one big reason why ND does not want to be handcuffed with a conference football schedule. 5 games a year to the ACC is bad enough.
Then enjoy having a handicap when it comes to being in the football playoff. You get those series as an independent because you have a schedule to fill (and they are good teams to fill it with). Join a conference to enhance your chance at playing for a national championship and something has to give.

Also, the Shamrock series is a home game for ND. Could be a conference game played anywhere ND desires.

Reaction Score
ESPNRittenberg 5:25pm via TweetDeck
Big 12 meetings over. My takeaway: Expansion likely, decision unlikely at late May meetings, but everyone understands status quo untenable.

If the decision to expand comes soon, the expansion candidates will be picked within days.

So... the key is the decision to expand. Not the vetting of the candidates.

Reaction Score
I will say that if Texas blocks expansion just to screw its conference partners over, you will see that conference become a rancid stew of open vitriol.

That will matter to Texas why? I think it is pretty obvious through their actions to date that all they care about is UT and UT only. They know that 6 out of 10 of the current Big 12 members have little to no shot at finding a home in a P5 Conference without their direct intervention or major conference upheaval. OU has some options, KU less, OSU and WVU even slimmer. The rest are in the AAC or MWC the day the conference expires. UT is the ultimate rich kid/poor sport. All the other schools know that they can take their toys and go home at any time. Therefore many choose to remain quiet and put up with their BS.

Reaction Score
That will matter to Texas why? I think it is pretty obvious through their actions to date that all they care about is UT and UT only. They know that 6 out of 10 of the current Big 12 members have little to no shot at finding a home in a P5 Conference without their direct intervention or major conference upheaval. OU has some options, KU less, OSU and WVU even slimmer. The rest are in the AAC or MWC the day the conference expires. UT is the ultimate rich kid/poor sport. All the other schools know that they can take their toys and go home at any time. Therefore many choose to remain quiet and put up with their BS.

This is the point that everyone glosses over because we so desperately want to be invited.

UT is not interested in being made "whole" by rolling the LHN into a B12N. UT is interested in keeping the significant revenue advantage they currently have over their fellow conference mates. They are the ultimate rich kid in that they want to always be able to say "we make more than you".

In my opinion, any decision that allows Oklahoma, Kansas & the rest of the B12 to narrow the current revenue advantage UT has will be a no go with Bevo. They don't care about preserving the B12 unless it's under their terms because they don't need to. If they really valued their competition with OK and other B12 schools they would have stood up and said "we need to look at the revenue numbers but we are committed to the B12". There has been nothing from Austin which again, IMO, means that they have no interest in playing ball. With the LHN they are already in the $35-$40MM range, they won't be at a big disadvantage when compared to the SEC & B1G and they have a $10-15MM advantage over the rest of the conference.

The TV deal runs thru 2024-25 so they can sit back & wait it out knowing that at the end of the day they will find a home regardless of what happens in CR.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Adam RittenbergESPN Staff Writer
rittenberg_adam_m.jpg

Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby on models presented to ADs/coaches today: "They looked at 14-team scenarios, they looked at a few 16-team scenarios. They looked at 12 teams, they looked at 10 teams, they looked at with a playoff, without a playoff. They looked at an 8-game schedule with a strong opponent, an 8-game schedule with a medium opponent. You name a scenario, they've looked at it."

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This is the point that everyone glosses over because we so desperately want to be invited.

UT is not interested in being made "whole" by rolling the LHN into a B12N. UT is interested in keeping the significant revenue advantage they currently have over their fellow conference mates. They are the ultimate rich kid in that they want to always be able to say "we make more than you".

In my opinion, any decision that allows Oklahoma, Kansas & the rest of the B12 to narrow the current revenue advantage UT has will be a no go with Bevo. They don't care about preserving the B12 unless it's under their terms because they don't need to. If they really valued their competition with OK and other B12 schools they would have stood up and said "we need to look at the revenue numbers but we are committed to the B12". There has been nothing from Austin which again, IMO, means that they have no interest in playing ball. With the LHN they are already in the $35-$40MM range, they won't be at a big disadvantage when compared to the SEC & B1G and they have a $10-15MM advantage over the rest of the conference.

The TV deal runs thru 2024-25 so they can sit back & wait it out knowing that at the end of the day they will find a home regardless of what happens in CR.
Agree, but I take there most recent stance as bargaining.

UT: Wait we already have a network and won't take a penny less.

B12: Okay we'll make you whole, you won't lose a buck.

UT: Well but we've got this network, it's a branding thing. We can't give that up.

B12: You can keep the name in Texas.

UT: Well, if we are just keeping the same payout, why should we change anything? (Waits to see if B12 keeps conceding ground.)

Reaction Score
Agree, but I take there most recent stance as bargaining.

UT: Wait we already have a network and won't take a penny less.

B12: Okay we'll make you whole, you won't lose a buck.

UT: Well but we've got this network, it's a branding thing. We can't give that up.

B12: You can keep the name in Texas.

UT: Well, if we are just keeping the same payout, why should we change anything? (Waits to see if B12 keeps conceding ground.)

It could very well be a negotiating ploy and I hope you're right.

It's just my opinion that if that were the case, they would've made some statement about being "committed" to the B12. Any small indication coming from Austin that they really want to make the B12 work long term would put all of this nonsense to rest. With all the swirling rumors, and with nearly every journalist outside of Austin casting them as the villain, they have remained silent. I don't believe that's an indication of them willing to play nice with everyone else

Reaction Score

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It could very well be a negotiating ploy and I hope you're right.

It's just my opinion that if that were the case, they would've made some statement about being "committed" to the B12. Any small indication coming from Austin that they really want to make the B12 work long term would put all of this nonsense to rest. With all the swirling rumors, and with nearly every journalist outside of Austin casting them as the villain, they have remained silent. I don't believe that's an indication of them willing to play nice with everyone else
If everyone knows that you go along in the end, saying that you may not has no negotiating power.

Reaction Score
Bohls: On the search for an AD, better NBA officiating, Big 12 growth

By Kirk Bohls - American-Statesman Staff

This promises to be an interesting month as the Big 12 prepares for a meeting of athletic directors at the end of May to discuss the conference’s future concerning expansion and a possible television network. I still see no willingness on Texas’ part to fold the Longhorn Network into a Big 12 network, even if the league gives the Longhorns an extra $15 million share to cover its LHN income, because, the Texas source said, “we would get the same money, but lose our branding and having our own channel? Not very compelling. If we get rid of LHN, it will be to change conferences, in my opinion.”

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/sports/bohls-on-the-search-for-an-ad-better-nba-officiati/nrGkg/

Reaction Score
Source: Bearcats are "Very well positioned" if Big 12 expands
Jeremy Rauch
Posted: 05/04/2016 8:53 PM

CLIFTON, OH (FOX19) - A source close to University of Cincinnati athletics told FOX19 NOW the Bearcats are “Very well positioned” to join the Big 12 if the conference approves expansion later this month.

Big 12 coaches and athletic directors met on Wednesday to discuss the potential of expanding from a 10-team league, to a 12-team or 14-team league to improve their chances of competing for the College Football Playoff by adding a conference championship.

Several teams like Cincinnati, BYU, UConn, Houston, Memphis and Central Florida have been mentioned as possible candidates for the Big 12 in their hopes of expanding.

That same source told FOX19 NOW they are growing more optimistic each day that the Bearcats would be a favorite candidate to join the Big 12.

UC is nearing the end of their third season as a member of the American Athletic Conference.

Copyright 2016 WXIX. All rights reserved.

Reaction Score
So, people in Austin are saying there is no incentive to expand. Bowlsby is suggesting that expansion is being discussed. Cincy claims they are in. And still total silence from the people that matter in Storrs. This is going to be a long couple of weeks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom