Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 144 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
George Schroeder ‏@GeorgeSchroeder · 3h3 hours ago
Texas AD Mike Perrin: “I can’t say I’ve got an open mind on any of these issues. I’ve got an open mind on receiving information.”

Brian Davis ‏@BDavisAAS · 3h3 hours ago
We are long, long past the "receiving information" phase.

Reaction Score
Adam Rittenberg ESPN Staff Writer
rittenberg_adam_m.jpg

Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby reiterated if the league does nothing this spring/summer, "we'll fall behind the SEC and the Big Ten. We still may be every bit as competitive as we are today, but we'll fall behind financially."

Reaction Score
Tim Brando ‏@TimBrando 2h2 hours ago
Dan Lyons of College Spun is absolutely correct. It's in ESPN's best interest to keep Notre Dames Conference future in the ACC. Fun topic.

Tim Brando ‏@TimBrando 1h1 hour ago
It appears the essence of my tweet concerning the ACC in its quest to have its own Network sooner rather than later has been misconstrued.

The intent of the Tweet was based on Intel regarding Conference realignment being back on the table. That part is accurate.

I've spoken to the ultimate source within the ACC, and it should be noted I've always been a proponent of ND joining the ACC in all sports.

Not only did ND join the Conference and sign a Grant of Rights to the ACC. Additionally a contract is in place beyond that assuring no move!

A contract exists saying that when The Irish join a Conference in football that League can ONLY be the ACC. Period.

I stand by the Intel on ACC & ESPN moving swiftly towards forming an ACC Network, but apologize to any that misunderstood my points on ND

Joe Ovies ‏@joeovies 1h1 hour ago
It appears #NinjaSwoff emerged from the shadows with a message for @TimBrando.

.@joeovies No denying I learned a little from Commish yes.I'll admit the additional contract was news to me. That said, Network will happen.

Chad Tesh ‏@ChadTesh 47m47 minutes ago
@joeovies @TimBrando @AGoldFan Timmy B would be perfect fit on ACC Network for Finebaum type show. He is the best. Go Pack!

Tim BrandoVerified account‏@TimBrando
.@ChadTesh @joeovies @AGoldFan No Sir. I'm out of that business and after my last hour. I'll leave breaking industry news to @Ourand_SBJ !

Beth Poole ‏@clemsonlady 44m44 minutes ago
@TimBrando thanks for your " Intel" tonight on ACC and ND!

Tim Brando ‏@TimBrando 35m35 minutes ago
@clemsonlady Hey, I learned something too. Never a dull moment.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Maybe this is right, or maybe the survival of the league beyond 10 years might influence how they vote. Who knows.

The problem with this is there is no one they can add that makes them more stable.

Reaction Score
The problem with this is there is no one they can add that makes them more stable.
Securing a network while having Texas and OU committed instantly makes them more stable.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Securing a network while having Texas and OU committed instantly makes them more stable.

Unless it makes up a good chunk of the revenue gap it does no such thing.

If you think Texas is extending the GOR past where it is to add two G5 teams - LOL.

Reaction Score
Unless it makes up a good chunk of the revenue gap it does no such thing.

If you think Texas is extending the GOR past where it is to add two G5 teams - LOL.
I believe that creating a strong Big12 and remaining the alpha dog is in The Longhorns best interest. Feel the same for OU. Working together with OU certainly will put the Big 12 in better position in 2024 or 26 or whenever. If either school joins another conference the money will be there but the power/ control/ influence will not. It's very hard and undesirable to go from being the man to simply being a man.

This is about conference survival. A united OU and UT may be all the Big12 needs to put nail in the acc coffin.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I believe that creating a strong Big12 and remaining the alpha dog is in The Longhorns best interest. Feel the same for OU. Working together with OU certainly will put the Big 12 in better position in 2024 or 26 or whenever. If either school joins another conference the money will be there but the power/ control/ influence will not. It's very hard and undesirable to go from being the man to simply being a man.

I don't disagree with that. That's why I believe UNC will stay in the ACC.

That still isn't any reason to commit beyond what they have already.

There isn't anyone available right now that changes that - and I'm not even convinced OU has any options.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree with that. That's why I believe UNC will stay in the ACC.

That still isn't any reason to commit beyond what they have already.

There isn't anyone available right now that changes that - and I'm not even convinced OU has any options.
Agree with most of your post but OU will always have options. They're CFB royalty, similar to UNC basketball. I think their biggest issue is lil bro OK State having to tag along. They could have went with A&M to the SEC and probably should have.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

This is about conference survival. A united OU and UT may be all the Big12 needs to put nail in the acc coffin.

This is getting interesting. I think the ACC sees what the Big XII is planning, and ND sees the B1G payout. The ACCN is dead in the water...unless...maybe ND goes all in. If they do, and UConn is the partner, the Big XII is forced to go with Cinci and BYU, pretty weak from a Network perspective. Syracuse, UConn and ND do effectively give the ACC an edge over the B1G in NY and lock up New England with BC and UConn. I think ESPN opens its wallet for that, and it now has to prop up the ACC after losing B1G content.

Apologies this isn't a tweet, but it's a reaction to Brando's.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Agree with most of your post but OU will always have options. They're CFB royalty, similar to UNC basketball. I think their biggest issue is lil bro OK State having to tag along. They could have went with A&M to the SEC and probably should have.

Yes OK State is part of their issue. I also think there are other schools more attractive to both the Big Ten and SEC. I think that is part of the reason they make so much noise. It's not as easy to get out as some think.

Reaction Score
Seriously the prior Brando tweets show just because you have "key tweet" status does not mean you understand what you are talking about.... I'm not sure what was more ridiculous.... Brando saying ND will join the ACC as a full member (prior to saying ND was joining the BIG) or saying AAC schools should be happy in the American cause the AAC is the tallest midget on the short bus .

The great irony is the siren song of ND continues....how many times did we hear "if only ND would join our conference we'd be saved" in the Big East? It did not happen then it won't happen now. ND is not going foregoing football independence to save a conference...we've been down this road before.

Bottom line is ESPN would love ND to join to ACC, the ACC would love ND to join the ACC, UConn would love ND to join the ACC if it included us as the second team. Unfortunately, there is only one problem, ND does not want to join the ACC as a full member, certainly not yet. IMO ND will only join a conference when they lose a place to stash their Olympic sports (currently ACC) and/or when they lose a path to the football playoff. If the above 2 things happen and ND does join a conference it is hard to imagine them joining a second tier conference like the ACC over the BIG.

ND has everything they want right now in the ACC, why would they change it? If in 5 years the ACC falls apart then then ND can join a conference but only after trying to work another side deal.

Suggesting ND will join the ACC and save it is nothing more than a conference realignment hail mary. The ACC needs a real plan...not a pipe dream.

Reaction Score
Seriously the prior Brando tweets show just because you have "key tweet" status does not mean you understand what you are talking about.... I'm not sure what was more ridiculous.... Brando saying ND will join the ACC as a full member (prior to saying ND was joining the BIG) or saying AAC schools should be happy in the American cause the AAC is the tallest midget on the short bus .

The great irony is the siren song of ND continues....how many times did we hear "if only ND would join our conference we'd be saved" in the Big East? It did not happen then it won't happen now. ND is not going foregoing football independence to save a conference...we've been down this road before.

Bottom line is ESPN would love ND to join to ACC, the ACC would love ND to join the ACC, UConn would love ND to join the ACC if it included us as the second team. Unfortunately, there is only one problem, ND does not want to join the ACC as a full member, certainly not yet. IMO ND will only join a conference when they lose a place to stash their Olympic sports (currently ACC) and/or when they lose a path to the football playoff. If the above 2 things happen and ND does join a conference it is hard to imagine them joining a second tier conference like the ACC over the BIG.

ND has everything they want right now in the ACC, why would they change it? If in 5 years the ACC falls apart then then ND can join a conference but only after trying to work another side deal.

Suggesting ND will join the ACC and save it is nothing more than a conference realignment hail mary. The ACC needs a real plan...not a pipe dream.

The one thing you have to consider though is whether the ACC TV money changes drastically with ND's addition.

ESPN, now that it's not in with the B1G, or potentially even the B12 if the B12 does something like add Cincy and Memphis, would probably pay up to have ND added to the ACC.

ND could take $10m a year less if it thinks that the recruiting grounds of the southeast are more favorable than being solely located in the midwest.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The one thing you have to consider though is whether the ACC TV money changes drastically with ND's addition.

ESPN, now that it's not in with the B1G, or potentially even the B12 if the B12 does something like add Cincy and Memphis, would probably pay up to have ND added to the ACC.

ND could take $10m a year less if it thinks that the recruiting grounds of the southeast are more favorable than being solely located in the midwest.

Exactly the logic I see. Reports were confirmed that the ACC GOR doesn't go away with no ACCN, but that the ACC does have to pat $2-3M more per school per year. With the B1G money they budgeted not being spent, how do they best shore up their content?

Meanwhile, ND is just now realizing that Purdue and Northwestern will get more TV $ than them. Since Brando is correct that ND is locked in to the ACC if it joins a conference, at least for now, I can see a picture where ND finally goes all in and the ACC adds UConn and combined that gives them enough to put a network in place. Not saying it is likely, just that the odds are trending up. ND must realize with the B1G deal that independent status is now hurting them.

Reaction Score
We're not joining the ACC in full.

so you think if ND had to join a conference because of the factors we're all discussing it would be the B1G?

Reaction Score
so you think if ND had to join a conference because of the factors we're all discussing it would be the B1G?
Only 35 % of our students come from the midwest, we want the east coast. We would join the ACC if forced but that is highly unlikely to happen.

Reaction Score
ND football will never join a conference. Pure fantasy to believe they ever will.
Your opinion. I think otherwise.

ND is excluded from the 4 team CFP format when they have one loss to an ACC/B1G/PAC school that did not play in their conference championship. ND would be passed over by a B1G Champ, the ACC Champ, the SEC Champ and the Pac12 champ, all with 1 loss because each of the champs had an extra game against a quality opponent. They may even be passed over by a 1 loss team that lost in a conference CG game. ND and its fan base will howl about how unfair it is. The rest of the country will shrug their shoulders and say go talk to Big 12 who got shut out because of no CG. It is the price of independence. Let it happen 2 or 3 times, and ND will suddenly want to be in some conference.

The way things are configured, ND will be at a disadvantage versus conferences with a CG. They will almost always be the outside of the top 4 unless they are undefeated. The 5 ACC games do nothing for them except fill out their P5 schedule easier. Without a chance to wipe out a loss in the ACC in a CG (in any conference, substitute a a loss to a B1G team if you want), they come up short.

And let's not forget that the P5's move to autonomy from the NCAA certainly weakens ND's voice in FB. I really don't think the ACC will do anything to enhance ND's chances when they are not a full member.

My guess, they go to the B1G in the next 5 years.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

pj

Reaction Score
I could live with it...if the ACC split

BIG 18 East

FSU
Miami
Clemson
Louisville
VT
West Virginia
UNC
Duke
Pitt

BIG 18 West

Texas
Oklahoma
Baylor
TCU
Texas Tech
Kansas
Kansas State
Oklahoma State
Iowa State

You could switch UConn for Pitt and I'd still be happy

I thought Ga Tech was FSU's favorite ACC rival, now you are dumping them? And Virginia? I can see BC, Syracuse. NC State may have some value.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I will say that if Texas blocks expansion just to screw its conference partners over, you will see that conference become a rancid stew of open vitriol.

Reaction Score
Exactly the logic I see. Reports were confirmed that the ACC GOR doesn't go away with no ACCN, but that the ACC does have to pat $2-3M more per school per year. With the B1G money they budgeted not being spent, how do they best shore up their content?

Meanwhile, ND is just now realizing that Purdue and Northwestern will get more TV $ than them. Since Brando is correct that ND is locked in to the ACC if it joins a conference, at least for now, I can see a picture where ND finally goes all in and the ACC adds UConn and combined that gives them enough to put a network in place. Not saying it is likely, just that the odds are trending up. ND must realize with the B1G deal that independent status is now hurting them.

ND knew that Purdue and Northwestern made more TV money than ND in 2010, even before the new proposed deal.

It took less money and the partial ACC deal in 2012 over a full Big Ten deal (for a lot of reasons) despite the lower TV money that entailed.

Has the new Big Ten money deal enticed ND enough to give up indy status? I doubt it.

ND's independent status involves more than the most TV money and even more than just athletics.

Would a new blockbuster megaconference deal in six years that included Texas change ND's viewpoint in favor of the ACC or Big Ten? I don't know. Maybe so. Time will tell.

P.S. ND might want Navy instead of UConn if it joined the ACC in football. The ACC just might agree in order to get ND football.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom