Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 134 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Missouri has done very well, but for Nebraska the funk continues.

They were at the top of college football when the Big 8 rolled into the Big 12 and they must've imagined it would last forever. But shortly thereafter, they fell off the top of the mountain. That happens. Success in football can be cyclical and the coaching carousel can be cruel. But to the simple, unsophisticated souls in Nebraska and their local media, Texas was to blame for all of their struggles.

Then in June of 2010 when it seemed imminent that Texas, Oklahoma and four others would leave the Big 12 for the Pac-10, Nebraska didn't want to be left holding the bag so they jumped to the B1G - which was actually a pretty smart move. However, the large scale exodus to the Pac-10 never happened and Nebraska's jump to the B1G ended several regional rivalries the Huskers had enjoyed for seventy years or more.

Consequently, news out of Nebraska has been kind of bitter for the last several years. They're making more money and they're in a more stable conference but they have no connections. Their history has been lost and they're still mediocre.

That's why you'll see them come up with the Oklahoma to the B1G story every six months. They're desperate for the renewal of a rivalry, a sense of relevance, and validation that they made the right decision.

It's no Nebraska/OU -- let alone the CIVIL CONFLICT -- but Nebraska/Iowa is a nice little new rivalry.

Reaction Score
They're making more money and they're in a more stable conference but they have no connections. Their history has been lost and they're still mediocre.

But they haven't been making more money. Their BTN buy-in ends with 2017-18 and the new Big Ten contract kicks in at the same time. $$$$$$ for Nebraska.

As for Iowa, Nebraska has been slow to embrace that rivalry. They want to hang out with the Big Boys in the Big Ten and not acknowledge Iowa as a football power. Hopefully 2015 will change their minds a little.

Reaction Score
My final offer: $420m a year for 5 years. Or, $640m a year if basketball inventory is increased (adding Kansas and UConn and more women's BB). Take it or leave it, Jim.

You'll take a postdated third party check, right?

Reaction Score
Enquirer Sports ‏@ENQSports · 3h3 hours ago
JUST IN: #UC #Bearcats grant UNLV wish to speak to Mick Cronin: http://cin.ci/1ReCNo5

Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken · 1h1 hour ago
Cincinnati letting Cronin walk would be one of the biggest blunders of all-time

Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken · 1h1 hour ago
Because he's a really good coach and Cincinnati won't hire a better one to replace him.

Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken · 52m52 minutes ago
Last thing on Cincy: Your athletic department being relevant is more fragile than you may realize. Trend in FB isn't good. Lose hoops and..?

Reaction Score
This basically walks back the "reports" that there is a specific deadline to launch an ACC network and rights fees increase if no network launched by that date. So that July 1, 2016 date is meaningless.
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/acc-commish-vague-on-future-of-dedicated-espn-channel/15584633/

"The one thing we've learned from other conferences that have taken this step, a potential channel, is that there are ways to do it that work extremely well immediately. There are ways to do it where it had to evolve and develop, like the Big Ten, who had huge growing pains its first years. And then the PAC-12, which continues to really struggle with their approach. It's all out there, so there's something to be learned from each.

I think Swofford plans to "convert" the entire SEC fan base to be ACC fans. That is clearly the "way to do it that (would) work extremely well immediately". Tricky rabbit.

Reaction Score
Just convert all of the ACC basketball fans and schools to discover that football, too, is a sport.

Once the chino and oxford cloth clad. latte slurping, lacrosse bragging, Biff and Muffy's learn that football isn't just soccer, who knows?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Just convert all of the ACC basketball fans and schools to discover that football, too, is a sport.

Once the chino and oxford cloth clad. latte slurping, lacrosse bragging, Biff and Muffy's learn that football isn't just soccer, who knows?

[forgive this non Key Tweet post]. I find it hugely ironic that you describe as latte slurping, lacrosse bragging Biff and Muffy's the same people that those in Connecticut (who own that stereotype and should trademark it) would call NASCAR watching, PBR drinking rednecks (e.g. the residents of VA, NC, SC and GA).

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
[forgive this non Key Tweet post]. I find it hugely ironic that you describe as latte slurping, lacrosse bragging Biff and Muffy's the same people that those in Connecticut (who own that stereotype and should trademark it) would call NASCAR watching, PBR drinking rednecks (e.g. the residents of VA, NC, SC and GA).

...and northern Florida.

Reaction Score
PBR drinking?

You guys are culturally illiterate.

We are the bourbon swilling, barbecue stained tee shirt wearing, Blake Shelton loving, football crazed fans distilled from Alabama and Georgia blood lines.

We can't sing a lick...that's why the game song from my school is a prolonged series of moans...and you can't forget the lyrics even after a pint of Mr. Beam.

Many drink Budweiser...no matter how hammered, you can stagger up to the bartender and slur out..."bbbbbbud". A lot easier to order than a Bodega Chacra Pinot Noir as served in Chapel Hill.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
PBR drinking?

You guys are culturally illiterate.

We are the bourbon swilling, barbecue stained tee shirt wearing, Blake Shelton loving, football crazed fans distilled from Alabama and Georgia blood lines.

We can't sing a lick...that's why the game song from my school is a prolonged series of moans...and you can't forget the lyrics even after a pint of Mr. Beam.

Many drink Budweiser...no matter how hammered, you can stagger up to the bartender and slur out..."bbbbbbud". A lot easier to order than a Bodega Chacra Pinot Noir as served in Chapel Hill.

The PBR reference comes straight from Georgia's own Zac Brown himself.

Reaction Score

Come 0n Billy. Your "user name" is from Melville and you quote Robert Burns on a football related internet site. Sounds like you'd fit right in with, "chino and oxford cloth clad. latte slurping, lacrosse bragging, Biff and Muffy's." You're rooting for the wrong school.

(Just kidding, by the way.)

pj

Reaction Score
Come 0n Billy. Your "user name" is from Melville and you quote Robert Burns on a football related internet site. Sounds like you'd fit right in with, "chino and oxford cloth clad. latte slurping, lacrosse bragging, Biff and Muffy's." You're rooting for the wrong school.

He pretends to be a Florida State fan but he really roots for Phillips Exeter Academy.

Reaction Score

The Boneyard's best post in a very long time.

Reaction Score
Come 0n Billy. Your "user name" is from Melville and you quote
Blame theyearsRobert Burns on a football related internet site. Sounds like you'd fit right in with, "chino and oxford cloth clad. latte slurping, lacrosse bragging, Biff and Muffy's." You're rooting for the wrong school.

I do believe, sometimes, that we live in different America's. We do have cultures still even with all of the post WWII movement.

I thought that when I read the pages of our weekly paper in Cherokee County, North Carolina (my cabin site).

My facebook pages are often littered with cyber warriors duking it out re gun violence.

"No guns!, More Guns! Second amendment!, Guns Kill!, No, people kill!, the slaughter has to end!, Pry from my dead hand!"

And in our local paper, pictures and a proud story of the local middle school rifle team winning first place in competition as well as the high school rifle team.

Not an issue here...country kids shoot. I guess that is why WVU's Rifle Team has won 18 National Champonships.

Guns have a different meaning in Tallahassee....

Reaction Score
Brian Davis ‏@BDavisAAS · 18h18 hours ago
Texas women crush Missouri, 73-55. Horns advance to the Sweet 16. Only problem: They're going to UConn.

Brian Davis ‏@BDavisAAS · 6h6 hours ago
Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy: Longhorn Network a 'failure.’
http://www.hookem.com/2016/03/22/oklahoma-state-coach-mike-gundy-longhorn-network-a-failure/

Brian DavisVerified account ‏@BDavisAAS 6h6 hours ago
For those who haven’t seen it, I’ve uploaded the LHN contract. Happy reading.
http://www.hookem.com/2016/03/22/oklahoma-state-coach-mike-gundy-longhorn-network-a-failure/

Mike Finger ‏@mikefinger · 6h6 hours ago
What marketing/media analyst Mike Gundy doesn't address is that a league network isn't a cure-all. Ask the Pac-12.

Marketing/media analyst Mike Gundy says Big 12 needs to be more like Pac-12, when Big 12 schools get more revenue:
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/colleg...12-affairs-losing-ground-in-the-revenue-game/

Mike Finger ‏@mikefinger · 5h5 hours ago
Marketing/media analyst Mike Gundy says if UT won't give up LHN, it might end up in SEC. Which wouldn't allow LHN.

Wendell_Barnhouse‏@WBBBPB
@mikefinger 2 points: A B12Net has to include expansion for inventory. Also, with current cable market, who carries for how much/how little?

@WBBBPB Ask Boren.

Stewart MandelVerified account ‏@slmandel 5h5 hours ago
Gundy may be right about LHN, but even if it went away doesn't mean Big 12 would launch a network. Cable, you may have heard, is struggling.

Dan Wolken Verified account ‏@DanWolken
And the Big 12's limited geographic appeal makes wide distribution difficult

Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken · 6h6 hours ago
For network purposes you can make an argument for UConn. Cincy has pretty narrow appeal.

Mike Finger ‏@mikefinger · 5h5 hours ago
You guys are making some interesting points but I need to check with marketing/media analyst Mike Gundy to confirm.

Mike FingerVerified account
@mikefinger
Texas Longhorns beat writer for SA Express-News/Houston Chronicle;

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds