Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 118 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score

1. GREG SWAIM SHOW ‏@GSwaim 3m3 minutes ago
    GREG SWAIM SHOW Retweeted FamilyMan

Hearing they'll add, since metrics show them how to make money, but who they'll add (and how many) the question.

GREG SWAIM SHOW added,

FamilyMan @familymanKB
    @GSwaim Just a gut feel, or you hearing something?
    1 retweet0 likes

2. 8:35 PM - 10 Feb 2016 · Details
    " data-you-follow="true" data-follows-you="false" data-you-block="false" style="position: relative; min-height: 51px; padding: 9px 12px; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-color: rgb(225, 232, 237); cursor: pointer;">

GREG SWAIM SHOW ‏@GSwaim 5m5 minutes ago
    GREG SWAIM SHOW Retweeted Roger Cox

Don't know exactly who they'll add, but now hearing the momentum is working towards expansion.

GREG SWAIM SHOW added,

Roger Cox @rogercox9
    @gswaim I still don't understand why UH is not a good get. In TX, Big 12 encircles Texas A&M and gets to huge TV market of Houston
    2 retweets1 like

Reaction Score

1. GREG SWAIM SHOW ‏@GSwaim 23m23 minutes ago
    GREG SWAIM SHOW Retweeted Michael Hagood

I think we'll hear some news we've wanted to hear for a long time this summer about #Big12 expansion!!

GREG SWAIM SHOW added,

Michael Hagood @mlhagood
    @GSwaim Is #Boren (OU) an outlier on #Big12 expansion? Staying at 10 teams just doesn't seem tenable to me. #BYU waiting to be had + one.
    4 retweets3 likes

Reaction Score
Now that Greg Swaim guy is saying on his Twitter that BYU, Cincy, and Houston are the top 3 targets.

Reaction Score
Ralph D. Russo ‏@ralphDrussoAP Feb 12
Ralph D. Russo Retweeted AP Top 25
Talking Harbaugh v SEC and the future of the Big 12.
One of us thinks the Big 12 does not have a long-term future.

AP Top 25Verified account
‏@AP_Top25
PODCAST w/ @ralphDrussoAP & @GeorgeSchroeder: Harbaugh rankles SEC; developments in #Big12: http://apne.ws/1PGrqSM

George SchroederVerified account
‏@GeorgeSchroeder

@jpyoung009jpy @AP_Top25 @ralphDrussoAP 1) Expansion is highly unlikely. 2) Even if expand, UH is a nonstarter w/ Big 12 people I talk with.

George SchroederVerified account
@GeorgeSchroeder

National college football writer for@USATODAYsports.

Reaction Score
Not sure if this is really newsworthy but...
image.png

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
"Per the same source, signs are pointing to the process starting to get in motion, as multiple Big 12 members have inquired about ending their current tier 3 television rights with their providers. This is a positive sign, as a conference network would replace those tier 3 rights."

This nugget is just as important, since a Big 12 network is the primary driver of UConn's value to that conference.

Reaction Score

3.) Former Kansas State president Jon Wefald has advised Ono, but says UC may have to take a financial “haircut.”

In a Jan. 26, 2015, message to Ono, Wefald said he had talked to several key Big 12 leaders, mentioning Boren and then-Texas President Bill Powers.

“David is impressed with Cincinnati,” Wefald told Ono. “He knows that UC is a big-time school. ... Now, I did not talk to him about the revenues that each school gets. I doubt that he would be enthused about any kind of a ‘major haircut.’”

Later in the email, Wefald said: “The only way I see to get Cincinnati into the Big 12 is this: that UC and the 2nd school would have to volunteer to take the financial haircut yourselves. Why? Because the three major networks will never add enough monies to allow the next two schools to have the same revenues as the 10 to (sic) now.”

Wefald continued: “The emphasis of UC right now should be this: Get into the Big 12 and worry about equal revenues later. So get in now and tell the other 10 universities that you and the second school will take the haircut.”

Later in the article:

If the Big 12 expands, it most likely will add two schools to get back to 12 members. UC is believed to be competing with about a half-dozen schools, including BYU and current American Athletic rivals Connecticut and Central Florida. UC and BYU appear to be the front-runners, according to Sports Illustrated.

In the end, though, it may not be about which school puts forth the best effort to impress the Big 12’s decision makers.

“It’s all about TV,” said Lee Igel, a sports business expert and co-director of New York University’s Sports & Society program.

And TV money seems to be a major reason the Big 12 has not been in a hurry to expand since losing Nebraska, Missouri, Texas A&M and Colorado in 2011 and 2012.

The Big 12 last year brought in $253 million from sources including TV and bowl games, Forbes says.

Last edited:

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
Just "among"? Not "clearly the best choice"?
because as much value as we think Uconn has we are not clearly the best choice. our football team has been sub .500 for mult. years now and we all know that is what drives the bus. Cincy has a plus football team with a representative BBall program as well as fertile recruiting grounds in ohio. All of those things make them a clear number one, all we can hope is that we are seen as a strong long term investment with a healthy upside which anyone with a brain can see is where we are heading.

Reaction Score

3.) Former Kansas State president Jon Wefald has advised Ono, but says UC may have to take a financial “haircut.”

In a Jan. 26, 2015, message to Ono, Wefald said he had talked to several key Big 12 leaders, mentioning Boren and then-Texas President Bill Powers.

“David is impressed with Cincinnati,” Wefald told Ono. “He knows that UC is a big-time school. ... Now, I did not talk to him about the revenues that each school gets. I doubt that he would be enthused about any kind of a ‘major haircut.’”

Later in the email, Wefald said: “The only way I see to get Cincinnati into the Big 12 is this: that UC and the 2nd school would have to volunteer to take the financial haircut yourselves. Why? Because the three major networks will never add enough monies to allow the next two schools to have the same revenues as the 10 to (sic) now.”

Wefald continued: “The emphasis of UC right now should be this: Get into the Big 12 and worry about equal revenues later. So get in now and tell the other 10 universities that you and the second school will take the haircut.”

Later in the article:

If the Big 12 expands, it most likely will add two schools to get back to 12 members. UC is believed to be competing with about a half-dozen schools, including BYU and current American Athletic rivals Connecticut and Central Florida. UC and BYU appear to be the front-runners, according to Sports Illustrated.

In the end, though, it may not be about which school puts forth the best effort to impress the Big 12’s decision makers.

“It’s all about TV,” said Lee Igel, a sports business expert and co-director of New York University’s Sports & Society program.

And TV money seems to be a major reason the Big 12 has not been in a hurry to expand since losing Nebraska, Missouri, Texas A&M and Colorado in 2011 and 2012.

The Big 12 last year brought in $253 million from sources including TV and bowl games, Forbes says.

There has been absolutely nothing "quiet" in Ono's quest to put Cincy in the B-12. He has been about as public as you can be along with Houston President Rhenu Khator. Sometimes it seems like they are in a competition to see who can make the most public statements.

Reaction Score
That "financial haircut" sounds ominous....admittance but only as a sort of associate member with lesser pay out rights than a full member.

If it is time limited, that is not bad...but if it is not time limited, that would be a major change.

I could see that methodology spreading as GOR's expire.

Some dead weight programs might have to look at lesser payouts to maintain the P5 conference standing

Reaction Score
That "financial haircut" sounds ominous....admittance but only as a sort of associate member with lesser pay out rights than a full member.

If it is time limited, that is not bad...but if it is not time limited, that would be a major change.

I could see that methodology spreading as GOR's expire.

Some dead weight programs might have to look at lesser payouts to maintain the P5 conference standing
Limited funds in the B-12 is significant more than a full share member of the AAC.

Reaction Score
While it is true that limited funds in the Big 12 might be more than full share of the AAC....

Being an associate member for pay out would keep a program in the bottom of the group of their competing peers in terms of AD funding.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom