Karaban to UConn!!! | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Karaban to UConn!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This. Have we ever had a truly hatable player?
Not meant as a dig on you, but you must still live in Connecticut and have a lot of UConn friends to ask this question!

We love our players, but we've had plenty of players (and coaches) that people hate.

Reaction Score
Not meant as a dig on you, but you must still live in Connecticut and have a lot of UConn friends to ask this question!

We love our players, but we've had plenty of players (and coaches) that people hate.

Correct but there is a difference between Cuse of Prov hating our guys because we rival with their programs and like people from Wisconsin and Oregon watching a UConn game and saying they hate Shabazz or they hate Vital.

A universal hatable player is hard to come by

Reaction Score
Correct but there is a difference between Cuse of Prov hating our guys because we rival with their programs and like people from Wisconsin and Oregon watching a UConn game and saying they hate Shabazz or they hate Vital.

A universal hatable player is hard to come by
I agree that PC, 'Cuse, etc. should be carved out. Michigan fans are never going to like an Ohio State player/program. It's a sign of respect to be hated by rivals. But in my travels, there are lots of people that root against UConn and UConn players. That's partially because everyone roots against a winner at some level. There also seems to be an odd belief that UConn is still a "new money winner" and not a real Blue Blood. I'm fine with that. We earned our place.

I'd rather they keep hating us than forget about us! Hurley will ensure we're still hated by many. Hopefully Karaban and all the other new blood can add to the legacy!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The Karaban is on its way...turn it up!
Z3MDYf.gif

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Without reading the entire rest of the thread, what's his game like? Who's a good comp?

My hope is someone like a Shonn Miller with less athleticism but a better perimeter game (i.e. can match up as a 4 on the defensive end and rebound, but can shoot from the outside and space the floor). The snippets I've read about his midrange game and craftiness makes him sound like an ideal guy to play at the foul line against a zone.

Reaction Score
Without reading the entire rest of the thread, what's his game like? Who's a good comp?

My hope is someone like a Shonn Miller with less athleticism but a better perimeter game (i.e. can match up as a 4 on the defensive end and rebound, but can shoot from the outside and space the floor). The snippets I've read about his midrange game and craftiness makes him sound like an ideal guy to play at the foul line against a zone.
Andrew Slater tweet said a comp from a rival coach was an athletic Georges Niang.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

As much as a few hate it, Giffey really is a good comp. Similar size. Better shooter than Giffey as a frosh, not as good of a shooter as Giffey as a senior. Ice in his veins at FT line. Can put the ball on the floor and get to rim with either hand. Has some back to the basket and post moves- I suspect they will be less effective in college than HS (even high level HS). Bigger picture is he is okay getting touches in the post and working around the paint.
Some places still list him around 6'7" 195 lbs, others have him 6'8" 210 lbs. If he is a legit 6'8" by the time he gets on campus, watch out.

Reaction Score
As much as a few hate it, Giffey really is a good comp. Similar size. Better shooter than Giffey as a frosh, not as good of a shooter as Giffey as a senior. Ice in his veins at FT line. Can put the ball on the floor and get to rim with either hand. Has some back to the basket and post moves- I suspect they will be less effective in college than HS (even high level HS). Bigger picture is he is okay getting touches in the post and working around the paint.
Some places still list him around 6'7" 195 lbs, others have him 6'8" 210 lbs. If he is a legit 6'8" by the time he gets on campus, watch out.
I love Giffey as much as anyone, he's my boy blue! But the dude couldn't put the rock on the floor until his junior year. I envision Karaban blowing by Giffey's underclassman production.

Reaction Score
I know this thread is about UConn & Karaban. Our excitement is justified. Apologies to the Boneyard, but I just got 'Props' from @tcf15 wanted to respond, tried to PM, but evidently can't send to @tcf15. Bear with me or just skip the rest of the post.

You put some effort in to trace my 12/12/2019 post. I did want you to be aware that @HooperScooper was immediately thrilled that same day and has also been an advocate as he has mentioned in this thread. He kept the Karaban thread alive from time to time as offers came in from all the other Big East schools except us. I'll fairly share my 'props' from you with him.

The rest of the backstory is a month later in January 2020 at Hoophall when I imposed myself on Tom Moore for a moment and gave him a piece of paper saying '2021 Adama Sanogo' and '2022 Alex Karaban' (omitted Clingan because I hadn't seen him in person yet). Obviously it was a 'tongue in cheek' encounter. I told Tom he could file it as appropriate. An hour later we were separately watching Putnam Science vs New Hampton as part of a crowd of 40 people. Tom stayed under the basket and never gave any indication as to who he might be evaluating. There are posts in January 2020 about Hoophall thoughts about Sanogo, Karaban, and my request to Tom.

They advanced Sanogo to 2020, and now have both Clingan and Karaban in the fold. I've got nothing to complain about. If it doesn't work out the staff can say it isn't their fault, they were told by @Ricker to get these guys, so blame Ricker. You can produce the evidence. ;)

Reaction Score
I know this thread is about UConn & Karaban. Our excitement is justified. Apologies to the Boneyard, but I just got 'Props' from @tcf15 wanted to respond, tried to PM, but evidently can't send to @tcf15. Bear with me or just skip the rest of the post.

You put some effort in to trace my 12/12/2019 post. I did want you to be aware that @HooperScooper was immediately thrilled that same day and has also been an advocate as he has mentioned in this thread. He kept the Karaban thread alive from time to time as offers came in from all the other Big East schools except us. I'll fairly share my 'props' from you with him.

The rest of the backstory is a month later in January 2020 at Hoophall when I imposed myself on Tom Moore for a moment and gave him a piece of paper saying '2021 Adama Sanogo' and '2022 Alex Karaban' (omitted Clingan because I hadn't seen him in person yet). Obviously it was a 'tongue in cheek' encounter. I told Tom he could file it as appropriate. An hour later we were separately watching Putnam Science vs New Hampton as part of a crowd of 40 people. Tom stayed under the basket and never gave any indication as to who he might be evaluating. There are posts in January 2020 about Hoophall thoughts about Sanogo, Karaban, and my request to Tom.

They advanced Sanogo to 2020, and now have both Clingan and Karaban in the fold. I've got nothing to complain about. If it doesn't work out the staff can say it isn't their fault, they were told by @Ricker to get these guys, so blame Ricker. You can produce the evidence. ;)

LOL you've been all over this Ricker well stated here. And yep, HooperScooper loved him a while back and hoped they were watching. Well we've got 2 of the best on this one, I like our chances with Alex becoming a memorable Husky with you and Scoop on this!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I love Giffey as much as anyone, he's my boy blue! But the dude couldn't put the rock on the floor until his junior year. I envision Karaban blowing by Giffey's underclassman production.

Yes, I specifically mentioned shooting but expect Karaban to be better as a frosh than Giffey was as a frosh but I don't expect Karaban as a frosh to be as good as Giffey as a senior. Karaban as a senior can be better than Giffey as a senior. How's that?

Reaction Score
I really hope Gaffney isn't are starting point guard in 2022. If So we might be in for a long season and didn't get the recruits we wanted or skool isn't as good as he seems.
Let’s not pass judgment until we see Gaffney play this year. He has ability but needs to stay aggressive and just play.

Reaction Score

Tripp better watch out, @Ricker is coming for his job

Reaction Score
The national ranking of our recruiting classes since 2010 (according to 247):
2010: 23
2011: 33
2012: 29
2013: 37
2014: 46
2015: 47
2016: 8
2017: 84
2018: 122
2019: 18
2020: 25
2021: 14
2022: 3

I see a trend in the last three years and I like it.
84 and 122 just a few years removed from a championship is hard to imagine.

Reaction Score
84 and 122 just a few years removed from a championship is hard to imagine.
122 (2018) is Hurley's class of Adams.

84 (2017)...that year was pretty rough in some of its players, but it did give us Whaley and Polley.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
OMG!! How do I send a thank you note to Tom Moore and what do I owe him!!

It has been a privilege to be of service. (tongue firmly in cheek)

If Sanogo, Clingan, Karaban, doesn't kick ass, I'm going to have to be man enough to own it on the Boneyard. They gave me ALL of my top targets I wanted to build around as a multi-year core to surround with athletes.

Time to celebrate UCONN IS BACK
Wht abt Akok?....still with the team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member