Karaban to UConn!!! | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Karaban to UConn!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Was he good in elementary/middle school? A lot of the early talents seem Tyler Phommachanh plateau
Oh yeah. He started on the middle school team (7th and 8th graders) my son was on. He was the only 7th grader who played. He was not the best player on the team though. An 8th grader friend of my son was (he'll be playing at Amherst College this coming year).

Best story though was when Alex was in 8th grade on the middle school team and really started to blossom. My son was a freshman in high school and went back to see a game. Their team was leading 38-9 at one point and Alex had all 38 points. My son said he was unstoppable. He could always shoot but now he was dominating everywhere on the court. He was probably about 6-3 at that point.

He repeated 8th grade at a catholic high school in Worcester because 8th graders could play high school varsity there. He was the best player on that high school team as an 8th grader. I think that's when his parents moved out of our town and into Northborough (which shares a high school with our town).

He then transferred to our public high school for his freshman year and was the Central Massachusetts Player of the Year. Then went to New Hampton for his sophomore year and we have not talked to him since that time. But obviously we have a rooting interest to see him do well and him becoming a Husky is really cool for us.

Reaction Score
This guy has a lot better range than Giffey for sure and looks like he will be better in that area to start. Of course he is also coming in with better accolades than Giffey too.
Giffey would've been ranked right around the same area as Karaban if he played in the states. He was considered a big time player and had offers from UCLA, Louisville, Michigan, Zags...

Reaction Score
Very good article from Mike Anthony at the Register. @Ricker gets an assist but Donovan Clingan does also.

Free access article.

Karaban and his family visited UConn twice in June.

“And he said, ‘I think this is it,’” Olga Karaban said. “Coach Hurley is a winner. He is building the program and it’s going to be a winner, looking at the recruits he’s getting. He enjoyed the process until a certain point. For the last month, he was on the phone for hours each day. He would always call back, always text back, always be respectful to every coach who recruited him. It started to be a little too much, and he just said, ‘I think I’m ready to make my decision,’ after Peach Jam.”

Karaban and Clingan have been friends for a few years. Seeing Clingan commit to UConn in early July pushed Karaban further toward his own decision.

“Big time,” Olga Karaban said.

Reaction Score
Oh yeah. He started on the middle school team (7th and 8th graders) my son was on. He was the only 7th grader who played. He was not the best player on the team though. An 8th grader friend of my son was (he'll be playing at Amherst College this coming year).

Best story though was when Alex was in 8th grade on the middle school team and really started to blossom. My son was a freshman in high school and went back to see a game. Their team was leading 38-9 at one point and Alex had all 38 points. My son said he was unstoppable. He could always shoot but now he was dominating everywhere on the court. He was probably about 6-3 at that point.

He repeated 8th grade at a catholic high school in Worcester because 8th graders could play high school varsity there. He was the best player on that high school team as an 8th grader. I think that's when his parents moved out of our town and into Northborough (which shares a high school with our town).

He then transferred to our public high school for his freshman year and was the Central Massachusetts Player of the Year. Then went to New Hampton for his sophomore year and we have not talked to him since that time. But obviously we have a rooting interest to see him do well and him becoming a Husky is really cool for us.

Sounds like he had a huge jump between 7th ans 8th-grade. Then took off in that 2nd 8th grade year. Very cool! Thanks for sharing.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Very good article from Mike Anthony at the Register. @Ricker gets an assist but Donovan Clingan does also.

Free access article.

“And he said, ‘I think this is it,’” Olga Karaban said. “Coach Hurley is a winner. He is building the program and it’s going to be a winner, looking at the recruits he’s getting. He enjoyed the process until a certain point. For the last month, he was on the phone for hours each day. He would always call back, always text back, always be respectful to every coach who recruited him. It started to be a little too much, and he just said, ‘I think I’m ready to make my decision,’ after Peach Jam.”

Karaban and Clingan have been friends for a few years. Seeing Clingan commit to UConn in early July pushed Karaban further toward his own decision.

This is probably a major reason why kids cut their lists so often. Answering texts from 25 schools must be nauseating at some point.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
5792EF49-5EC4-46AB-9DC9-62D1F86CB095.jpeg

“He’s needs to restructure and build slightly differently.”

:)

Reaction Score
View attachment 68889

“He’s needs to restructure and build slightly differently.”

:)
Love to see Danny point us in the direction of that 2018 Nova or this past years Baylor team. Realistically we need at least three 3pt threats on the court at all times. Defenses will have no idea how to guard a lineup of Gaff Hawkins Karaban Akok and Clingan

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Love to see Danny point us in the direction of that 2018 Nova or this past years Baylor team. Realistically we need at least three 3pt threats on the court at all times. Defenses will have no idea how to guard a lineup of Gaff Hawkins Karaban Akok and Clingan
Attack the ball and don’t let gaff distribute?

Reaction Score
I really hope Gaffney isn't are starting point guard in 2022. If So we might be in for a long season and didn't get the recruits we wanted or skool isn't as good as he seems.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
This is probably a major reason why kids cut their lists so often. Answering texts from 25 schools must be nauseating at some point.
Happens quite a bit.

You have the calls/texts before you plan the visits and the same during the interim after you plan the visits.

Without a doubt, the process can go from extremely enjoyable to burnout quickly which explains why kids and families shut things down, abruptly at times it seems, and then pick the school that provides the best fit at that time, motivated to end in part due an exhausting recruiting cycle for recruits and their families.

Reaction Score
Happens quite a bit.

You have the calls/texts before you plan the visits and the same during the interim after you plan the visits.

Without a doubt, the process can go from extremely enjoyable to burnout quickly which explains why kids and families shut things down, abruptly at times it seems, and then pick the school that provides the best fit at that time, motivated to end in part due an exhausting recruiting cycle for recruits and their families.

I wasn't even good and the calls from d2/d3 coaches was exhausting at 16. I can't imagine what it's like for these kids with 20+ offers from good schools. Brutal.

Reaction Score
It seems like hurley is eager to get someone from this class on campus early to start developing them in his program.

Reaction Score
If you have 3 legit 3pt shooters and you can add two mobile 7 footers that can play together you give yourself a chance at going undefeated especially in todays cbb. Last time we saw a lineup that even resembled this it was UK and they nearly went undefeated losing in the final 4 to Wisconsin i believe.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

If yall don't know, he's playing for IMG Academy next year. They're one of the best HS teams every single year.

And I really love that we're starting to prioritize a mix of super athletes AND high IQ shooters.

The way we're building the roster is fantastic. By 2022 we're going to have basically all 4* recruits on the roster. 2+ year guys that can help you win games, not just get drafted and leave. The cushion to swing for the fences on the 5* players in 2023 us being laid down here.

SO excited for this commitment and overall class! I’ve been on this train as well - I love the roster construction, not just getting talented dudes.

So excited for a team with Diggins, Karaban, Floyd, etc.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Free access article.

Sounds like Mom (Olga) knows her stuff too:
"Alex’s skill set. He can score on three different levels."

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
To not compare him to another white kid, he kinda seems like a kid who could develop into a Jordan Nwora type player.

May be a stretch ceiling, but just a comp I could come up with. Interesting to hear other comps from those more educated than I.

Nwora is half white, so... but yeah I really like that comp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom