Karaban to UConn!!! | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Karaban to UConn!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Does the first letter of their first name come between I and K in the alphabet?

Jesus.png

Reaction Score
Not a UConn comp, but this kid has the ability to turn into a player like Troy Murphy was for Notre Dame. If he adds 15-20 lbs of muscle and keeps his quick first step he’s gonna have a lot of nights where he hangs 20+ points on opponents.
I'd actually lean more towards the guy Murphy replaced at ND: Pat Garrity. Murphy was a big man who could step away from the basket and shoot, but for Garrity it was a huge pillar of his offensive game. He wasn't the dominant rebounder that Murphy was, but I don't think Karaban will be either.

Reaction Score

If yall don't know, he's playing for IMG Academy next year. They're one of the best HS teams every single year.

And I really love that we're starting to prioritize a mix of super athletes AND high IQ shooters.

The way we're building the roster is fantastic. By 2022 we're going to have basically all 4* recruits on the roster. 2+ year guys that can help you win games, not just get drafted and leave. The cushion to swing for the fences on the 5* players in 2023 us being laid down here.

And he gonna get so much better there

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
FE6B88D9-D0D1-424E-AF4E-648B69C5C55E.jpeg

Floyd or Karaban, I assume. Hurley has said that anyone new coming in would need to do so as a redshirt, so we’ll see

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
The national ranking of our recruiting classes since 2010 (according to 247):
2010: 23
2011: 33
2012: 29
2013: 37
2014: 46
2015: 47
2016: 8
2017: 84
2018: 122
2019: 18
2020: 25
2021: 14
2022: 3

I see a trend in the last three years and I like it.

Reaction Score

If yall don't know, he's playing for IMG Academy next year. They're one of the best HS teams every single year.

And I really love that we're starting to prioritize a mix of super athletes AND high IQ shooters.

The way we're building the roster is fantastic. By 2022 we're going to have basically all 4* recruits on the roster. 2+ year guys that can help you win games, not just get drafted and leave. The cushion to swing for the fences on the 5* players in 2023 us being laid down here.

• Great shooter. NBA+ range.
  • Shoots off a hop and a 1-2 step. That is SUPER hard to learn... and a really important skill to translate as a shooter.
  • Love that he plays in the post--kids don't like to do that nowadays. It isn't flashy.
  • Great right to left spin move. Does the have the left to right? Would make sense considering he's a righty... not sure though.
  • Seems to read rebounds really well.
  • Being 6'8 and being able to hit ahead off a rebound or dribble... that could help speed our team up the way we need to.
  • Finishes with both hands. When is the last time we had a truly ambidextrous finisher? He looks equally good with both to my eye.
  • After seeing this and peach jam... he's definitely going to get more steals than most 6'8 kids.
  • Cuts into the paint really intelligently
  • He is a better athlete than we give him credit for... but doesn't always use it. That's a great quality to have. Skill-first player.
  • Pivots with both feet, but favors the left.
  • Good passer... no tunnel vision. I'd call him a "system" passer rather than a "creative" passer. He isn't a creative point forward... but he isn't going to hold you back either the way Tyrese and others sometimes do playing the 3/4 combo spot.
  • Zone buster. As a shooter or at the foul line... this type of recruitment is going to signal the end of teams zoning us every night.
  • Shooting threat makes his pump fake really effective
  • Loved one play where he got a block and immediately ran the floor to get 2 on the the other end... no gloating. Good to see he's focused on the game through the whistle.

Just looking through these highlights... a couple things I'd like to see him work on:

• An up and under counter when he gets a post up. Tends to either fade or put it up with his left hand instead of going back right. He isn't going to be able to bully people and go up with his left like that at IMG. Needs the counter option.
  • He has a weird hop/hitch to his step when he drives. It's very slow. Needs to use his negative step and dribble harder. He isn't getting low enough on his drives. Legs or upper body really.
  • I love his use of the jumpstop consistently, but learning how to finish on one foot is going to help him not get blocked. He's too predictable right now... having a jump stop, one foot, and goofy foot finish and being able to use both hands makes you practically unstoppable.
  • Haven't loved his footwork coming off screens for 3s. He seems to do well curling to the hoop, but kind of slow setting up for the shot.
  • Learn to use PnR, make passing reads will be important for him if he wants to be a 3 for us.
  • Good not great handle. Fine in the open court... would like to see him tighten up his hands and footwork in the half-court.
  • Love his height and skillset. Plenty of weight... turning that into strength and explosion needs to be a priority for him. IMG must have a great SnC program compared to most high schools, plus he'll have 5 or 6 months once he gets here to train. I think in a few years, his strength and athleticism could be night and day. He'll need to work on hip mobility and getting comfortable with different footwork in the strength room too.

IMG Academy is going to be great for him. Some of the stuff he's getting away with here won't really work there. He's going to learn so much next season by necessity. Looking forward to watching him whenever he get on ESPN.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Great great pickup! This is huge and has me excited. A shooter with decent athletic talent too. I think some here have downplayed his athletic ups. He is at least in the Niels Giffey league as far as hops and quickness with a better shot and more creative. This is great pickup and very excited with the players as a whole we are getting. Great job Dan Hurely and staff. UCONN is back,
He shoots the ball better than Giffey? That’s not an easy thing to do.

Reaction Score
The national ranking of our recruiting classes since 2010 (according to 247):
2010: 23
2011: 33
2012: 29
2013: 37
2014: 46
2015: 47
2016: 8
2017: 84
2018: 122
2019: 18
2020: 25
2021: 14
2022: 3

I see a trend in the last three years and I like it.

FWIW we'll probably end up in the 15-20 range with our class as it stands. Adding Starling would bump us into the 5-10 range.

Reaction Score
He shoots the ball better than Giffey? That’s not an easy thing to do.
This guy has a lot better range than Giffey for sure and looks like he will be better in that area to start. Of course he is also coming in with better accolades than Giffey too.

Reaction Score
What’s the Giffey stuff all the time? The guy was nothing. What do people think they are funny continually referring to him?

Reaction Score
I've seen Karaban play since he was in 4th grade travel basketball and I don't remember him ever smiling during a game. Very quiet kid.

Was he good in elementary/middle school? A lot of the early talents seem Tyler Phommachanh plateau

Reaction Score
Karaban seems like a type both PG's and C love to play with. He shoots and seems to finish well so assists aren't lost and if he's as good as a shooter as advertised (especially from around 15ft) he'll really open things up for post players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom