OT: - Kansas vs Kansas State brawl | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Kansas vs Kansas State brawl

Reaction Score
The announcers did pretty well for a chaos situation.. Sounded like Wenzel on color " I would get my team out of here and into the locker room" also liked the "There is the first punch". It looked like someone got stomped on by a Kansas player up against the student section wall. It looked like it was someone other than a K-State player.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think there is a lot of frustration outside of Kansas about how KU along with several other bluebloods seem to get favored status from the NCAA

That I get. UK, Duke, KU, UNC, Arizona, maybe some others are the favored few. They are the big brands for the NCAA. I just reject the notion that somehow they bring in "thugs" as was stated. I think UConn would be pretty happy to have Christian Braun right now. Kid from a town of 2600 in KS. Shot 60% from 3 yesterday.

Reaction Score
IMHO Self is in a corner now - he knows the NCAA and attorneys are looking at his program and now this happens. He has no option but to allow the UKansas admin hand out the strictest of penalties to all the players who either threw a punch or ran off the bench. This will handicap the Jayhawks for several games this season but for him its victories vs not coaching anymore. I really don't think the NCAA can or will get too involved except to suggest penalties.
The same goes for KSU but they were not the aggressor - they were the prey
Kansas is a rogue program and always has enrolled thugs and trouble makers - but some are/were damn good players
Couldn't happen to a more fitting program (except Duke, Cuse or UNC)
I know why UConn fans hate Duke and Cuse, but why do you guys hate UNC?

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
In defense of De Sousa, after the hard foul and taunt, two relatively frequent events on a basketball floor, De Sousa did not iniate the violence. He was attacked and knocked to the floor by two Kansas St. players. He stood, in self defense, and threw a punch at his attacker. Then he was attacked by a third man in black pants.
Facing three attackers and a hostile screaming crowd, why would not grab a chair to defend himself and his teammates. When he observed that he was no longer in personal danger, he dropped the chair and eventually calmed down. None of this is inconsistent with the video tape.
Rewatch. He was in the motion of swinging it and someone grabbed it out of his hands. He didn't choose to drop it.

Reaction Score
For those talking about punishments, the NCAA has no power here. Anyone ejected for fighting is automatically suspended for the next game, but they do not have the ability to levy anything else. Conferences can suspend and so can the teams, but don't expect a peep out of the NCAA.

Kansas
Silvio De Sousa – 12 games
David McCormack – 2 games

Kansas State
James Love – 8 games
Antonio Gordon – 3 games

Reaction Score

Kansas

Kansas State
James Love – 8 games
Antonio Gordon – 3 games
Seems light.

Reaction Score
De Sousa was a huge jerk for the block/foul/stare down but if the entire team with guys in street clothes are coming at me I'm throwing blows. The picking up the stool was really bad but other than that I don't see the big deal.

Reaction Score
I was pretty sure George The Animal Steele died a few years ago but I thought I saw him gnawing on the padding around the basket stansion.
He was one of the first wrestlers my dad introduced me to!

Reaction Score
Why would not grab a chair to defend himself and his teammates. When he observed that he was no longer in personal danger, he dropped the chair and eventually calmed down.

From what I could see on the tape, a guy in a suit, which I believe was a Kansas assistant coach, takes the chair out of De sousa's hands and you can see the surprise on the player's face when the chair is taken away. That was fortunate for him as getting into a brawl at a basketball game is one thing. Swinging a chair at someone is a criminal assault charge, which woudl have ended his career in Kansas and likely cost him millions in the NBA draft, not to mention the possibility of really hurting someone.

PS - Any one see the U Kansas male cheerleaders muscle their way in and seperate the two groups. I know a couple of the male cheerleaders at UConn back in the day and, trust me, no one wanted to mess with them. They were totally jacked.

Reaction Score

Kansas

Kansas State
James Love – 8 games
Antonio Gordon – 3 games

Yep, the XII is taking this brawl very seriously. a 12 game suspension sounds like a big deal, but it's not. He likely got 12 games instead of 10 because follow-up game in Manhattan against K-State is the 11th game while Kansas has 13 regualr season games left. That is not a coicidence. This way De sousa and his teammates get a warm-up game in before the the XII playoffs and NCAA Tournamnet, i.e. making money time, begins. If Self and the XII were serious, especially when everything else around De sousa is taken into account, his career as a Jayhawk would be over. Imagien what would have happened if this wasn't a star Kansas baskteball or a regular student doing this. Even the local paper has had it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I mean, you could just take your tech and and the ball.

When you have a giant with Size 16 feet standing over you yelling and cussing at you as you lay on the ground helpless, you get nervous. The K State guys came at him because it appeared threatening and looked aggressive. I wasn’t a troublemaker, but if that happened on the court when I was playing my reaction would have been to get the guy all over my teammate away from him. It’s just instinct and adrenaline. Keep in mind these guys are generally 18-22 years old. The testosterone out there is flowing. That’s why taunting and instigating is illegal, it invites bigger problems, especially among young men.

Reaction Score
From what I could see on the tape, a guy in a suit, which I believe was a Kansas assistant coach, takes the chair out of De sousa's hands and you can see the surprise on the player's face when the chair is taken away. That was fortunate for him as getting into a brawl at a basketball game is one thing. Swinging a chair at someone is a criminal assault charge, which woudl have ended his career in Kansas and likely cost him millions in the NBA draft, not to mention the possibility of really hurting someone.

PS - Any one see the U Kansas male cheerleaders muscle their way in and seperate the two groups. I know a couple of the male cheerleaders at UConn back in the day and, trust me, no one wanted to mess with them. They were totally jacked.

I was on the cheerleading team in the 2000s. I'm a wimp, but you're right in general. My teammates were absolute monsters.

Reaction Score
Ahead by ~20, last play of game (zero on clock), and a hard foul on a lay-up?? wth was that Kentuk idiot thinking??

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom