Just some thoughts. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Just some thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If you were his lawyer you would not in fact have a field day with this decision, an athletic scholarship is a 1 year contract, so UConn held up there part of the deal. Sorry nothing to do as a lawyer in that situation. The statement I keep seeing in posts is that Wolf was not convicted of a crime. I may be wrong but accepting the programs the court offered is in fact an admission of guilt. Yes, some accept these programs because it is the easier thing to do but in the eye of the law it is an admission of guilt. These programs are often offered to first time offenders.

It's not an admission of guilt at all. The prosecution issues a nolo contendere once you enter into a program, meaning there is absolutely no finding either way.

Reaction Score
If a current UConn student has a copy of the code of conduct, he might want to look up the section on physical abuse. At some colleges, I've seen very low thresholds for expulsion. If you have sex wit an inebriated person on some campuses, you can be thrown out of school.

Student code of conduct is online
http://www.community.uconn.edu/student_code_appendixb.html

Relationship Violence
Relationship violence is a pattern of behavior in an intimate relationship that is used to establish power and control over another person through fear and intimidation.
A pattern of behavior is typically determined based on the repeated use of words and/or actions and inactions in order to demean, intimidate, and/or control another person. This behavior can be verbal, emotional and/or physical. Examples of relationship violence include, but is not limited to:
  • Slapping
  • Pulling hair
  • Punching
  • Damaging one's property
  • Driving recklessly to scare someone
  • Name calling
  • Humiliating one in public
  • Harassment directed toward a current or former partner or spouse
  • Threats of abuse such as threatening to hit, harm, or use a weapon on another (whether victim or acquaintance, friend, or family member of the victim), or other forms of verbal threats
Sanctions
If the accused student is found responsible for committing sexual misconduct and therefore, violating The Student Code appropriate sanctions will be imposed. Sanctions are determined by the seriousness of the violation, precedent for similar violations, and any existing aggravating and/or mitigating factors.
The University has four major sanctions: Warning, University Probation, University Suspension, or University Expulsion. When a student is found responsible for a violation(s), one of these is imposed. It is highly unlikely that a student found responsible for sexual misconduct would receive the sanction of a University Warning. The precedent regarding sexual misconduct is University Expulsion. A student may receive additional sanctions related to housing, student privileges, educational interventions, etc.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what the issue is here. UConn is making a concerted effort to clean up it's image.

What we do know is a big 7 footer entered a girl's apartment, pulled her by the hair, knocked her glasses off, refused to leave her apartment at some ungodly hour....and that's not including things that we DON"T know, if there are any.

IFthere was a precedent before BG hit his girlfriend, that UConn tends to revoke schollies for such activities, maybe he thinks twice before doing something. Maybe not, but who knows. The bottom line is UConn is being firm with the right hand (pulling the schollie) while extending an olive branch with the left (he can come back as a walk-on if he wants and can finish his degree here).

It's the RIGHT precedent to make. It's not like Wolf was smoking a doobie in his dorm and his schollie is getting pulled.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This is what confuses me... does the team really need Kromah that bad next season to put Wolf in this situation? and If we didnt get that transfer would Wolf still have been taken off scholarship anyway?

By the way, Im sure the school could work something out that will lower Wolf's out of pocket expense if he chooses to come back.
Missing the point. Wolf's punishment isn't because of Kromah. Kromah's opportunity happened because of Wolf's actions.

I'm not so sure that the school can do much for Wolf. He no longer on scholarship and, as a foreign student doesn't qualify for federal aid.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
upstater said:
If a current UConn student has a copy of the code of conduct, he might want to look up the section on physical abuse. At some colleges, I've seen very low thresholds for expulsion. If you have sex wit an inebriated person on some campuses, you can be thrown out of school.​

Wow, tough rule.
From what I've seen a good portion of the guys on the board have zero chance of having sex with anyone who is sober.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score

Wow, tough rule.
From what I've seen a good portion of the guys on the board have zero chance of having sex with anyone who is sober.
Or drunk

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
One thing is certain. If Wolf doesn't come back, our title chances are GONE. If you think Facey, a 6'7" 190lb freshman can take us to Dallas then you are all delusional. Take away Oriakhi from the 2011 team and we go 15-15. Same situation, but this year's team will win a little more.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
One thing is certain. If Wolf doesn't come back, our title chances are GONE. If you think Facey, a 6'7" 190lb freshman can take us to Dallas then you are all delusional. Take away Oriakhi from the 2011 team and we go 15-15. Same situation, but this year's team will win a little more.
Delusional bro
I've never been an (post 2011) Oriahki supporter.....but to suggest Wolf is even half as valuable as AO your delusional..........bro

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
Getting thrown out of school ≠ getting your scholarship pulled. It's a privilege that Wolf forfeited.

Reaction Score

When did Facey shrink 3 inches?

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Delusional bro
I've never been an (post 2011) Oriahki supporter.....but to suggest Wolf is even half as valuable as AO your delusional..........bro

Clearly Wolf is not as valuable as Oriakhi. But if Wolf leaves we have no big-men. Again. It's going to be the same story, we get out-rebounded by 15 while Shabazz/Boat play 38 minutes a game to counter that loss.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Clearly Wolf is not as valuable as Oriakhi. But if Wolf leaves we have no big-men. Again. It's going to be the same story, we get out-rebounded by 15 while Shabazz/Boat play 38 minutes a game to counter that loss.
Ya I hear ya concern, and would feel a little warmer at night knowing a 7' Wolf is in the rotation.....but I have a good feeling about Nolan this season, the last couple of games he showed me a lot, he's only going to get better/bigger I think he'll surprise. Also not expecting much but Facey should contribute.....along w/ Brimah (hey size is size, see Thabeet)... Giffey, and a TO whose done with mediocrity.... we will hold our own on the rebound front (we were slowly fixing the rb diff towards the end of last year)

Also I think an extra ball handler in Kromah was key, we've been spoiled a little in past years, but freshman being sufficient enough to run the 1, is not the norm......so totally relying on Samuel /Allen is suspect at best. Kromah is a key addition.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Ya I hear ya concern, and would feel a little warmer at night knowing a 7' Wolf is in the rotation.....but I have a good feeling about Nolan this season, the last couple of games he showed me a lot, he's only going to get better/bigger I think he'll surprise. Also not expecting much but Facey should contribute.....along w/ Brimah (hey size is size, see Thabeet)... Giffey, and a TO whose done with mediocrity.... we will hold our own on the rebound front (we were slowly fixing the rb diff towards the end of last year)

Also I think an extra ball handler in Kromah was key, we've been spoiled a little in past years, but freshman being sufficient enough to run the 1, is not the norm......so totally relying on Samuel /Allen is suspect at best. Kromah is a key addition.

I have the same opinion about Nolan. I think he'll be good, but not dependable. I feel like if the program knew Wolf was gonna get cut, then I feel like we should have went with a big-man transfer. Bazz, Boat, and Samuel can all handle the ball. But Calhoun has been working on his handle and Giff has decent handles himself.

Reaction Score
Kids make bad choices all the time. Wolf paid for his and the charges were dropped. The school took away his schollie.

Your confusing things. The school has their own set of standards apart from the legal system whether you, I or the fence post like that its a fact.

Upstater, I'm thinking you might be able to shed light on the university "due process".

I can speak from experience from running afoul of a schools rules for their students and their student athletes. I didn't lose and schollie, but I provided the school a boat load of free labor because that what a disciplinary hearing decided. That "jury" was comprised of ainistrators, students and professors. We got into a dust up in a bar, no legal ramifications, but there sure as hell were university ramifications.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm not sure I get all the angst about losing Wolf for the year. Last season he provided spot minutes off the bench to start the year behind Olander and Daniels. It wasn't till the Washington game in late December where he played 18 minutes and nabbed 9 rebounds that people started to really take notice of him. My point is, he grew into his role as the season progressed. Once he was suspended, after the Seton Hall game mid February, suddenly Nolan began to get his minutes. We really had no choice.

Wolf played in 22 games averaging just over 13 MPG, 3.4 PPG, and yes, 3.4 RPG. Nolan averaged 10.8 MPG, 1.4 PPG and 2.1 RPG. He played in 23 games. Certainly not numbers as strong as Wolf's, but it's not like Wolf was averaging 20 MPG, 6 PPG, and 8 RPG. I see no reason why Nolan, Facey, and Brimah can't fill that role.

Would it be better if Wolf was there? Of course. Would we suddenly have been a NC contender if he were there? No. IMHO I see us as a legit top 10 team this year. I don't think we are a NC contender, but never say never, right? I do think we can make a real push at the final 4 given our strength and depth at the 1-4 positions.

Reaction Score

Might be time to log off from this thread.

Reaction Score

Wow, tough rule.

It's a tpugh rule.
Now, no one who has sex with someone drunk will be thrown out on that basis.
But if you have sex with someone drunk and that person accuses you of assault, the first questioned asked is, "Was he/she drunk?" If your answer is "yes" then the next question is, "Did you have sex?" If your answer is "yes" then that's all there is to it.

Reaction Score
Your confusing things. The school has their own set of standards apart from the legal system whether you, I or the fence post like that its a fact.

Upstater, I'm thinking you might be able to shed light on the university "due process".

I can speak from experience from running afoul of a schools rules for their students and their student athletes. I didn't lose and schollie, but I provided the school a boat load of free labor because that what a disciplinary hearing decided. That "jury" was comprised of ainistrators, students and professors. We got into a dust up in a bar, no legal ramifications, but there sure as hell were university ramifications.

There are university ramifications. There are faculty/student boards. The decision making process swings in a variety of ways. Generally, they try to avoid he said/she said situations. This is why reports of abuse are often swept under the rug. On the other hand, alcohol violations (where students are caught red handed) are sometimes severe.

Reaction Score

Wow, tough rule.

......or with anyone but themselves!! That's easier.....lol

Reaction Score
Kids make bad choices all the time. Wolf paid for his and the charges were dropped. The school took away his schollie.

You don't seem to understand the severity of Wolf's actions. Wolf is seven feet tall. The women he put his hands on was probably at least twelve to eighteen inches shorter than him, and a hundred pounds lighter. I don't care who or what his girlfriend was doing when Wolf entered the room - there is no situation that warrants a man, much less one that big, resorting to physical violence to settle a dispute. There is no place for that behavior in society, much less at a public university that holds itself to a much higher standard. It boggles my mind that people symphaize with Wolf so much, and are now even going to the extent that they believe he is some how irreplaceable on the court next season (which is another subject for another day). The determined punishment is the perfect medium - whoever made the decision allowed a window for redemption, yet also punished him severely enough that the consequences of his selfish actions are sure to leave a mark.

There is a distinct difference between a mistake and an act of violence that infers a deep-rooted behavioral problem. A mistake is generally a split-second lapse of judgement. If your initial reaction upon settling a situation like that is to resort to violence, your instincts as a man need some re-calibration. Chalking it up to a mistake would be a gross mis-representation of what occured.

Tyler Olander made a mistake. Enosch Wolf had a problem. I'm glad some recognize the difference.

Reaction Score
Wow new to the board having moved out west and not really the thread I was expecting nor the greatest choice for my first post but the OP was so ridiculous so..

"And if Wolf leaves, our chances at a title (even a Final 4) are gone."

Since when did Wolf become the second coming of Dirk Nowitzski? This team is built around one of if not the best backcourts in the country living and dying by Shabazz/Boat/Calhoun running the floor draining 3's. Sure the front court is light, but all they need is to be serviceable. A combo improved Nolan, an emerging pro prospect in Daniels, highly rated freshman Facey and whoever else eats up minutes out of Tolksdorf, Giffey, et al should be serviceable enough. I mean they got outrebounded in just about every game and were still a sweet 16 caliber team last year. Wolf would certainly help but I doubt anyone (that is anyone sane) will be saying "if only we had Wolf" come March.

.."a scumbag move by someone who wants to clean up his public perception.."

I must have missed a lot since Ollie's playing/asst. coaching days that he needs to clean up his public perception.

Reaction Score
Anything KO does to continue to improve our "public" image (while somewhat unfair and uniformed yet somewhat justified to an extent) needs to be done. If we can clean it up and continue to recruit quality players, both on and off the court - should be commended. I don't want to lose him but that post was a bit much.. Also is he worth someone from upstate NY telling me, "Now you have a player who abuses women too...." like the list at another former BE school.... not worth it.

Reaction Score
You don't seem to understand the severity of Wolf's actions. Wolf is seven feet tall. The women he put his hands on was probably at least twelve to eighteen inches shorter than him, and a hundred pounds lighter. I don't care who or what his girlfriend was doing when Wolf entered the room - there is no situation that warrants a man, much less one that big, resorting to physical violence to settle a dispute. There is no place for that behavior in society, much less at a public university that holds itself to a much higher standard. It boggles my mind that people symphaize with Wolf so much, and are now even going to the extent that they believe he is some how irreplaceable on the court next season (which is another subject for another day). The determined punishment is the perfect medium - whoever made the decision allowed a window for redemption, yet also punished him severely enough that the consequences of his selfish actions are sure to leave a mark.

There is a distinct difference between a mistake and an act of violence that infers a deep-rooted behavioral problem. A mistake is generally a split-second lapse of judgement. If your initial reaction upon settling a situation like that is to resort to violence, your instincts as a man need some re-calibration. Chalking it up to a mistake would be a gross mis-representation of what occured.

Tyler Olander made a mistake. Enosch Wolf had a problem. I'm glad some recognize the difference.

Done driving across country and catching up on things, so just reading this board from start to finish. So many opinions and statements that beg for a response as I read all the posts, but this one pretty much sums it up for me.

Reaction Score
Can't have a university where a student (male or female) feels unsafe on campus. Safety and education are equal partners, particularly where parents entrust their children. Wolf unfortunately made a student feel unsafe through physical and verbal actions.

The student and university forgave him, and he can still be on the team, get his degree, live on campus, eat in the cafeteria, and enjoy college life if he wants. The caveat of having to pay for it now is his fault and no one else (not Ollie's, the administration, athletic department, Kromah's, the female student, etc...).

We just lost a HOF coach and did pretty good. Wolf is not bigger than UConn. If he does return we will do pretty good. If he doesn't return we will do pretty good as well. People act like they saw an indispensable superstar, all American on the court last year. The sky is not falling................

We are UConn dammit!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET