Just some thoughts. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Just some thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't think this was Ollie's decision. Wolf's incident happened on campus in a campus owned dormitory. He had to go through the university's discipline system. I'm rationally assuming that is where the punishment came down from and taking away a scholarship is a typical punishment handed down from the university disciplinary board.

Stop trying to bring up Olander's case to compare to Wolf's case. Wolf's case was an assault on another student on campus. Olander's transgression was trespassing off campus. I don't know how anyone can compare the two and expect the punishments from a university disciplinary board to be similar.

caw

Reaction Score
I think the program and Ollie really messed up with pulling Wolf's scholarship. I get the whole "ten toes in" bullshiit, but I do not think Wolf was treated fairly.

• [ ]He did the crime, and paid the time. In case some of you forgot, he sat out since February 11th. The team went 4-4 after he was suspended. 16-6 with Wolf.
    [ ]I do not understand how Tyler Olander hasn't been treated fairly. He was caught trespassing and drunk (and featured in the worst rap video of all-time). He was not given any punishment other than community service. He was never being considered for suspension or being kicked off the team indefinitely.
    [ ]Before all you jump at my throat saying their crimes aren't comparable; I understand they aren't. But Wolf was acquitted in court and that is that.
    [ ]Cleaning up the program will be another issue. If Ollie really wants to clean the program up, he will have to start recruiting in rich, white-collar neighborhoods instead of getting top recruits. All this garbage happens to every program, but UConn is a hot-topic and is under high levels of scrutiny. That won't change as long as we continue to win.
    [ ]The biggest problem of all is giving Wolf's scholarship away. To me, this looks like Ollie/program is trying to be a *ing police officer out there. He paid for his mistakes. And you take away his scholarship and give it to some mid-major transfer who only has a fan-base inside his family? Yeah, "ten toes in" right *ing there. That is a scumbag move by someone who wants to clean up his public perception rather than doing something right. This kid put in months of work over his 3 years here, and then you just take his scholarship away just like that? And give it to a nobody transfer? Yeah that makes sense.
If I was Enosh Wolf, I start looking for a new home. And don't be surprised if Leon Tolksdorf follows in his footsteps. He played a brilliant few minutes against Villanova and then never saw the court again. Not saying he deserved the playing time, but he definitely deserved more than he got. But I wouldn't be surprised if Enosch is getting recruited by other schools that would like to have his services.

And if Wolf leaves, our chances at a title (even a Final 4) are gone. We then have Dre Daniels (who isn't really a big-man, he's more of a hybrid 3-4), Tyler Olander, Phil Nolan, and 2 freshman bigs who are skinnier than Daniels was last season. Nolan might improve, but he won't be the savior. Olander will not improve, he's a bum. And Facey/Brimah will take time. They aren't the answer. We will get destroyed on the boards again, much like this year, and it will kill our title chances. If Wolf goes, we'll play the same way as last year, but end up with a slightly better record (because of competition level).
/endrant.

1. I somewhat agree, they didn't need to take his scholarship away. It was a choice by someone (Ollie, Herbst or Manuel or all three or some combination). It can be argued if it was the correct choice regardless of image. He admits he did something wrong, this is the University's punishment, which UConn is more than it's rights to do. I think it was the best course, based on what I know. The mid-season suspension was needed that shouldn't be argued. If it was Napier or Daniels or anyone else, I would say the same thing. Until it's cleared criminally the player shouldn't be playing.
  2. Olander's mistake is different from Wolf's but just as importantly, didn't take place during the season. If it had, he would have likely been suspended until the court case was decided. Just because there hasn't been any statements on punishment doesn't mean they aren't coming. They may not be, but they may. You even say they are not comparable. I wouldn't be shocked if Olander got a few games suspension, but considering he basically was just drunk off season, I wouldn't be shocked if he didn't.
  3. There are good/bad kids in all neighborhoods, I find your statement about having to recruit from white-collar neighborhoods idiotic. AJ Price was from a white-collar neighborhood = helped try and fence laptops. On the flip side Caron Butler was in jail and is arguably one of UConn's best public personalities.
  4. You shouldn't jump down the "mid-major transfer's" throat for this. The two decisions aren't mutually exclusive because one had to happen first before the second could but the admin did not take Wolf's scholarship just to get Kromah. They had an opening after it was decided to take Wolf's scholarship. This was clearly the best way to fill it considering every decent 2013 recruit was taken. Just leave your thoughts on Kromah out of this. It has nothing to do with Wolf, when it's boiled down.
  5. Tolksdorf is mutually exclusive from Wolf, IMO. He has more ties to Giffey (from same program in Berlin) than Wolf and Giffey still loves UConn.
  6. Wolf will either pay his way, transfer, or stay in Europe. I actually think Wolf will pay his own way, but that is just my opinion.
Finally, Brimah may not be ready, but Facey can definitely cover 15-20 minutes at the 4 position from what I have seen of him. I don't know if he can cover the five, but at the least UConn has 10 more fouls from that position. Wolf helps UConn, but he is not near the make or break player you are painting him as. I can name 5 players that are more important next year. I hope he is back. Wolf was probably UConn's best offensive center last year, but he was also a foul machine. I would still love a three-headed center of Nolan/Olander/Wolf next year, with Brimah as needed (or if he is good enough, more often).

Reaction Score
I think the program and Ollie really messed up with pulling Wolf's scholarship. I get the whole "ten toes in" bullshiit, but I do not think Wolf was treated fairly.

• [ ]He did the crime, and paid the time. In case some of you forgot, he sat out since February 11th. The team went 4-4 after he was suspended. 16-6 with Wolf.
    [ ]I do not understand how Tyler Olander hasn't been treated fairly. He was caught trespassing and drunk (and featured in the worst rap video of all-time). He was not given any punishment other than community service. He was never being considered for suspension or being kicked off the team indefinitely.
    [ ]Before all you jump at my throat saying their crimes aren't comparable; I understand they aren't. But Wolf was acquitted in court and that is that.
    [ ]Cleaning up the program will be another issue. If Ollie really wants to clean the program up, he will have to start recruiting in rich, white-collar neighborhoods instead of getting top recruits. All this garbage happens to every program, but UConn is a hot-topic and is under high levels of scrutiny. That won't change as long as we continue to win.
    [ ]The biggest problem of all is giving Wolf's scholarship away. To me, this looks like Ollie/program is trying to be a *ing police officer out there. He paid for his mistakes. And you take away his scholarship and give it to some mid-major transfer who only has a fan-base inside his family? Yeah, "ten toes in" right *ing there. That is a scumbag move by someone who wants to clean up his public perception rather than doing something right. This kid put in months of work over his 3 years here, and then you just take his scholarship away just like that? And give it to a nobody transfer? Yeah that makes sense.
If I was Enosh Wolf, I start looking for a new home. And don't be surprised if Leon Tolksdorf follows in his footsteps. He played a brilliant few minutes against Villanova and then never saw the court again. Not saying he deserved the playing time, but he definitely deserved more than he got. But I wouldn't be surprised if Enosch is getting recruited by other schools that would like to have his services.

And if Wolf leaves, our chances at a title (even a Final 4) are gone. We then have Dre Daniels (who isn't really a big-man, he's more of a hybrid 3-4), Tyler Olander, Phil Nolan, and 2 freshman bigs who are skinnier than Daniels was last season. Nolan might improve, but he won't be the savior. Olander will not improve, he's a bum. And Facey/Brimah will take time. They aren't the answer. We will get destroyed on the boards again, much like this year, and it will kill our title chances. If Wolf goes, we'll play the same way as last year, but end up with a slightly better record (because of competition level).
/endrant.

Well those are just some of your thoughts.

pj

Reaction Score
I agree that the punishment was overly harsh, and the university shouldn't have taken away his scholarship, and that it hurts the team next year.

I very much doubt it was Ollie's decision. It was a university decision, probably made by a student-based disciplinary committee.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

/endrant.

You know nothing, Jon Snow.

Reaction Score
If Ollie really wants to clean the program up, he will have to start recruiting in rich, white-collar neighborhoods instead of getting top recruits.

Wow, really? People that make generalizations, generally don't know much.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Stop trying to bring up Olander's case to compare to Wolf's case. Wolf's case was an assault on another student on campus. Olander's transgression was trespassing off campus. I don't know how anyone can compare the two and expect the punishments from a university disciplinary board to be similar.
Let's be clear about one thing: Olander's rap video was his biggest transgression, and Wolf's beatboxing wasn't far behind.

Sometimes I wish Earl Kelly was still around, just to pistol whip kids like this. Imagine what Toraino would have done to them? He should be hired as an assistant coach just for necessary beat-downs of clowns like these guys.

Reaction Score
Originally I thought pulling Wolf's scholarship was a bit harsh myself - but the more I thought about it, the more sensible the punishment appeared. Wolf acted selfishly...extremely selfishly. Looking past the obvious aspect of putting his hands on a women, which should be tolerated under no circumstances, what irks me the most is that he let down his teammates. I don't think I need to re-tell the story - Oriakhi, Smith, Drummond, Lamb, and Bradley all left, leaving the leftovers to take beating after beating after beating on the glass and in the paint. We were thin, very thin - Olander was overmatched physically and athletically, Nolan was a deer in the headlights up until late in the season, and Deandre Daniels was as thin as a rail. Shabazz and Boatright were working overtime, and then some, even while banged up and even legtimately hurt at times. Boatright rolled his ankle badly in the opener against Michigan State and returned two minutes later to hit the biggest shot of the game. They were beat and battered, pushed to the brink by low-majors, and generally mentally and physically exhausted. Then one of their fellow soldiers (and one player with the size and strength to battle on the interior) decided to go out in the middle of the night, drink until he was probably hammered enough to legimately kill somebody if provoked (again, this is a big boy we're talking about), and put his hands on a women. "Ten toes in bullshiit"? You mean the rallying cry that ignited a 20 win season from a roster that had no buisness winning 18? Not only did Wolf not have his ten toes in, he committed the ultimate sin of brotherhood - he betrayed his teammates and nearly dis-lodged the trust Kevin Ollie worked so hard to build from the day he took the job.

To his credit, he has said and done all the right things since, and on the surface at least seems genuninely sorry for his actions. But that's not good enough - Kevin Ollie's not simply going to serve you a second chance on a silver platter, you have to earn it. Some community service, a heartfelt apology to all effected, and a sad face won't suffice - if you're going to truly compensate for an act this selfish, you have to do something equally selfless. And a good way to start is to pay your own way (even if you have to work a job on the side on top of classes and basketball), allow somebody with a less checkered record to take your place, and gradually earn back the trust and loyalty you pi**ed all over when you decided to go out one night and disgrace the program. It's in his court.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The biggest problem of all is giving Wolf's scholarship away. To me, this looks like Ollie/program is trying to be a *ing police officer out there. He paid for his mistakes. And you take away his scholarship and give it to some mid-major transfer who only has a fan-base inside his family? Yeah, "ten toes in" right *ing there. That is a scumbag move by someone who wants to clean up his public perception rather than doing something right. This kid put in months of work over his 3 years here, and then you just take his scholarship away just like that? And give it to a nobody transfer? Yeah that makes sense.
Really? KO is a scumbag with a perception problem? And here I thought it was incredibly moral and grounded guy who is getting noticed nationally. Go figure.

Reaction Score
Yep, pulling his scholarship is really the right decision. It allows the University and Coach Ollie to make a statement about not just next year but about the future of UConn basketball and what the expectations are regarding behavior.

There's nothing wrong with reminding the team that these are one-year scholarships. If you behave, you get your 4 years if you want. If you hit a woman, or something along those lines, KO and/or the university has a right to re-evaluate your standing regarding your scholarship.

He's contributed very little to the team in 3 years yet has been given a very good FREE education at a damn good school and has a championship run that he'll always be a part of (even if he was on the bench for most of it). If he's wise he walks-on for one more year, gets his degree, gets some PT in big spots down the stretch so he can test himself and give himself and others a better vision on where his future may be if he sticks with hoops.

I hope he does come back, but this to me is the right statement for KO and/or the University to make.

Reaction Score
After reading some of these posts, I get the feeling that a few of you value Wolf's decision-making abilities more than Ollie's...

Reaction Score
I find it odd that people would point the finger at either Ollie, Athletic department administration or the university for revocation of the scholarship when it was the kid that made a bad choice. Choices good and bad have ramifications, the young man needs to own the choice he made that evening (I don't know him so I can't make a call on either he has or hasn't) and accept the ramifications.

Reaction Score
This is what confuses me... does the team really need Kromah that bad next season to put Wolf in this situation? and If we didnt get that transfer would Wolf still have been taken off scholarship anyway?

By the way, Im sure the school could work something out that will lower Wolf's out of pocket expense if he chooses to come back.

Reaction Score

/endrant.
I agree with the part that Wolf wasn't treated fairly. The school basically fined him about 45K, freed up a scholarship and may still have him as a player.IMO Wolf should either have been brought back as a scholarship player or kicked off the team. Uconn basketball comes out benefiting from Wolf's bad behavior and I don't like the way that this looks.
Wolf won't be the difference maker for a title run. He is big but slow as hell on D and a stronger Nolan may be a better option. Ollie will have these kids focused on rebounding and we will be a better rebounding team with or without Wolf.

Reaction Score
The numbers do not do the kid justice because when he was out of foul trouble (which wasn't too often but he did get bitten by the "cheap"whistle bad a lot) he was by far our best option in the middle last year minus the ND game by Tyler - when allowed to play minutes he had some nice games against some pretty good teams.....Wake and NC State..........he is smarter, noticeably larger on defense and was improving. The fact is I also think Nolan is going to be a player but he also is foul prone. To think losing Wolf is okay is wrong, we have no idea of what the frosh will bring and TO is nothing more than a 6'8 bench player...........hope he returns.

I'm not reacting to what is right about taking the scholarship because i don't know the whole story and no one else does either....it's a worthless argument. My guess it was never in KO's hands!

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score

/endrant.

This is ignorant. Wolf and Olander, the two you cite as examples, are white-collar. And not top recruits. How does recruiting "rich-collar white areas" versus getting top players have anything at all to do with the rest of your drivel?

Reaction Score
My biggest problem with how this is being handled is the "someone made the decision" angle. Whoever made the decision should step up and own it.

Reaction Score
The OP does make some good points. Unless Coach Ollie plans to make that his standard, Wolf's punishment does seem a bit tough.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
The OP does make some good points. Unless Coach Ollie plans to make that his standard, Wolf's punishment does seem a bit tough.
Except we don't know even know if it was Kevin's decision. And, we don't know exactly what happened so its difficult to assess the correctness of the punishment. This might be his standard punishment for a similar offense going forward but I don't think it will be the "standard" as every offense is different and will require a specific response.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
This is what confuses me... does the team really need Kromah that bad next season to put Wolf in this situation? and If we didnt get that transfer would Wolf still have been taken off scholarship anyway?

By the way, Im sure the school could work something out that will lower Wolf's out of pocket expense if he chooses to come back.

A lot of people are assuming that Wolf's schollie was pulled so that we could offer one to Kromah, but they have absolutely no evidence to back that up.

Reaction Score
There is no question that the team is a little better with Wolf on the court, but not as important as people think. Before Wolf got suspended Nolan got extremely limited minutes. I thought that Nolan emerged as our best front court option over the last 6 games.

As far as Wolf losing his scholarship I fully support that decision. KO and the coaching staff have been preaching doing things the right way, getting good grades and keeping your nose clean since September 13th. The minute Wolf resisted arrest, put his hands on a woman (in front of the cops) while being intoxicated at 3am he doomed himself. I understand he received counseling and has apparently made changes. Unfortunately sometimes one mistake is enough in life and you have to pay for it.

I also believe that Wolf was losing his scholarship regardless of Lasan Kromah. They are mutually exclusive. The administration decided not to renew Wolfs scholarship, and then 5th year grad students became an option. I don't view this as a situation where the coaching staff likes Kromah's game better so they kicked Wolf off the team. Wolf screwed up but he is still getting a 2nd chance with the option to come back. If he wants to transfer I'm 100% sure KO and the staff will help Wolf find a new home.

Reaction Score
All I can add is that this thread wouldn't exist if Wolf didn't hit his girlfriend.

Reaction Score

/endrant.

I completely agree. If Daniels, Boat, Napier, Calhoun were in Wolf's shoes, none of them would have lost the scholly. So when the next stud player gets arrested, Ollie is going to have to revoke their scholly. It's only fair.... Right? I'm not sure if this is a precedent, but if it is, it will only hurt us down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom