Just some thoughts. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Just some thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I completely agree. If Daniels, Boat, Napier, Calhoun were in Wolf's shoes, none of them would have lost the scholly. So when the next stud player gets arrested, Ollie is going to have to revoke their scholly. It's only fair.... Right? I'm not sure if this is a precedent, but if it is, it will only hurt us down the road.

Here's something that the players might want to consider, don't get pissy drunk, enter a female's room, refuse to leave, go upside their head, still refuse to leave, then wait for the cops to arrive and get arrested. If the rest of the roster manages to avoid being a jack###, we should be alright.

Reaction Score
Here's something that the players might want to consider, don't get pissy drunk, enter a female's room, refuse to leave, go upside their head, still refuse to leave, then wait for the cops to arrive and get arrested. If the rest of the roster manages to avoid being a jack###, we should be alright.

So then Calhoun should have revoked BG's scholly when he hit his girlfriend? Hell no. Wold is losing his scholly because he is not a star player. If this was one of the top players, he would not have lost the scholly. So if Omar gets arrested next year, loses his scholly and transfers to Cuse, none of you would be upset? Alright...

Reaction Score
I completely agree. If Daniels, Boat, Napier, Calhoun were in Wolf's shoes, none of them would have lost the scholly. So when the next stud player gets arrested, Ollie is going to have to revoke their scholly. It's only fair.... Right? I'm not sure if this is a precedent, but if it is, it will only hurt us down the road.
You're ignoring the fact that nobody knows who the decision to revoke Wolf's scholarship was made by. You're assuming it was Ollie, when it just as easily could have been made by the university disciplinary board (or whatever it's called).

Reaction Score
So then Calhoun should have revoked BG's scholly when he hit his girlfriend? Hell no. Wold is losing his scholly because he is not a star player. If this was one of the top players, he would not have lost the scholly. So if Omar gets arrested next year, loses his scholly and transfers to Cuse, none of you would be upset? Alright...

If you haven't noticed by now, there is an entirely new administration and athletic dept currently in place, things are different. Also, its not just as simple as being "arrested", obviously the charges and allegations are in play here. Tyler didn't lost his scholarship for getting arrested because it wasn't as serious as what Wolf did. I would hope after seeing what happened with Wolf the players on the current roster would be smart enough to do something as dumb and reckless that he did, and he can be used as an example for everyone going forward. How hard is it to keep your hands off of a woman? The fact that some of you guys are so non-chalant towards what happened got me feeling uneasy about how many woman beaters are posting on here.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I said above that Ollie/program laid the law down. I know that it could have been the program, but Ollie was likely involved in the decision making.

Reaction Score
The college has a code of conduct. That's why. Campus and the criminal court system are two different things. No one here knows what the disciplinary board on campus decided.

Since there were no charges against Wolf, the board should not have entered into it.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Since there were no charges against Wolf, the board should not have entered into it.

That's my main point. They are trying to over-enforce something. It's not right.

Reaction Score
I guess we'll have to wait for another incident of this kind before we'll know if a "precedent" is being set by this coach and administration.

But it's good to know that so many people here either know exactly what Wolf did or didn't do that night, or in some cases, don't consider it to be that big a deal.

Reaction Score

??
Did it not happen on campus?
Code of conduct goes way beyond criminality.

Reaction Score

So would the board not look into cases of students cheating on tests? Pretty sure nobody's ever been arrested for that.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
So would the board not look into cases of students cheating on tests? Pretty sure nobody's ever been arrested for that.

You're blowing it out of proportion. The charges were dropped against Wolf. Besides a private police report, nothing happened.

Reaction Score
You're blowing it out of proportion. The charges were dropped against Wolf. Besides a private police report, nothing happened.

That's great that the girl has apparently forgiven him. She's a better person than most, I guess. But she's not the one responsible for deciding whether Enosch Wolf deserves to be a scholarship basketball player.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
That's great that the girl has apparently forgiven him. She's a better person than most, I guess. But she's not the one responsible for deciding whether Enosch Wolf deserves to be a scholarship basketball player.

According to everyone's logic, Ben Gordon should have been arrested, kicked off the team, and lost his scholarship in 2003. Pretty much ending our Sweet 16 run.

Because Ben was a superstar, he gets immunity? That doesn't seem right. Because if this same situation happened with Shabazz, Boat, Dre Daniels, or Calhoun they would get a slap on the wrist.

Reaction Score
According to everyone's logic, Ben Gordon should have been arrested, kicked off the team, and lost his scholarship in 2003. Pretty much ending our Sweet 16 run.

Because Ben was a superstar, he gets immunity? That doesn't seem right. Because if this same situation happened with Shabazz, Boat, Dre Daniels, or Calhoun they would get a slap on the wrist.

There is a new administration and new coaching staff in place. The standards are different than they were in 2003. That has been made very clear to the players and fan base. Assuming Omar and Bazz etc would receive a slap on the wrist is totally unfounded.

Reaction Score
100% wrong. Board jurisdiction goes way beyond just criminal charges.

Reaction Score
The charges were dropped because the prosecution was satisfied with Wolf undergoing counseling. Doesn't mean nothing happened.

Reaction Score
Because Ben was a superstar, he gets immunity? That doesn't seem right.

You do now that's they way of the world or certainly in America.

Privilege, status, money and/or who you know, all equal leniency and special treatment. You are not naive on this are you?

It is what it is, and it ain't going to change that's for sure.

Reaction Score

Nobody is arguing that a superstar should be treated any differently. We won't know whether that will happen under Ollie/Manuel/Herbst until a superstar does something as stupid as Wolf did.

Reaction Score
.....nor were the charges ever proven true, in a court of law......it's a big difference
Was what he did ever denied by him, his lawyer or the university? No.

The charges were dropped due to his completion of "counseling", which I assume is alcohol related, not because of lack of evidence or a recanting of the story from the victim.

If Ollie does not want to put up with this behavior then so be it, we have had enough arrests and embareasments over the last decade. Sometime you need to make an example out of someone to set a tone for the program. If Wolf is that example I am okay with it.

Reaction Score
Stupid people put themselves in stupid situations.

Really? Blaming the victim? She deserved it because she was in the wrong place at the wrong time? Dressed too provocatively? Because she dated someone on the basketball team? Because she was up too late?

Nice.

Reaction Score

Bullshite

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
All I'm saying, is if I was Wolf's lawyer, I'd have a field day with this decision. Whether the charges were dropped or not.....The fact of the matter is he was never convicted of this crime (sure the defense states they were happy with Wolf's counseling & so forth, but heck, maybe that was just a scapegoat because they never had sufficient evidence to convict Wolf)

I had a friend of mine that was charged with rape, ruined his college career, studies, relationships with others....... and it turned out the girl was lying after all because she didn't want to be labeled a "nope"......not saying this was the situation with Wolf, but people shouldn't be so eager to go and get their pitchforks. My friend lost everything at that particular time, and even after being acquitted of the charges, the perception followed him for quite awhile, although he was only guilty of having consensual sex.

My point, I'm willing to bet no one on here knows the true story of what happened that night b/w wolf and his gf, but lets not speak of him as if he's scum, especially when his transgressions were never proven in court.

Reaction Score
All I'm saying, is if I was Wolf's lawyer, I'd have a field day with this decision. Whether the charges were dropped or not.....The fact of the matter is he was never convicted of this crime (sure the defense states they were happy with Wolf's counseling & so forth, but heck, maybe that was just a scapegoat because they never had sufficient evidence to convict Wolf)

I had a friend of mine that was charged with rape, ruined his college career, studies, relationships with others....... and it turned out the girl was lying after all because she didn't want to be labeled a "nope"......not saying this was the situation with Wolf, but people shouldn't be so eager to go and get their pitchforks. My friend lost everything at that particular time, and even after being acquitted of the charges, the perception followed him for quite awhile, although he was only guilty of having consensual sex.

My point, I'm willing to bet no one on here knows the true story of what happened that night b/w wolf and his gf, but lets not speak of him as if he's scum, especially when his transgressions were never proven in court.
If you were his lawyer you would not in fact have a field day with this decision, an athletic scholarship is a 1 year contract, so UConn held up there part of the deal. Sorry nothing to do as a lawyer in that situation. The statement I keep seeing in posts is that Wolf was not convicted of a crime. I may be wrong but accepting the programs the court offered is in fact an admission of guilt. Yes, some accept these programs because it is the easier thing to do but in the eye of the law it is an admission of guilt. These programs are often offered to first time offenders.

Reaction Score
I find it odd that people would point the finger at either Ollie, Athletic department administration or the university for revocation of the scholarship when it was the kid that made a bad choice. Choices good and bad have ramifications, the young man needs to own the choice he made that evening (I don't know him so I can't make a call on either he has or hasn't) and accept the ramifications.

Kids make bad choices all the time. Wolf paid for his and the charges were dropped. The school took away his schollie.

Reaction Score

I don't think anyone said the kid is scum.

As for suing anyone, scholarships are given year to year.

No one here knows what is going on at the university disciplinary level because it's all a secret. By law. And schools have lower thresholds for making such decisions than the legal system does. We've been through this before with Miles, when the student/faculty committee tossed him out of school despite the fact that the woman in the incident also dropped charges and never appeared. In Miles's case, the violated restraining order was all the school needed to see. We saw this with the AJ Price and Marcus Williams case. People assume Calhoun handed down the punishments. He did not. It was the committee that did, and to give context because of the national backlash, the committee put out statistics showing that 52 students had been caught stealing laptops in the prior year or years, and almost all of them received the same punishment as Marcus Williams. AJ Price actually received a stiffer punishment than regular students because he denied stealing the laptops (Williams was on an exhibition team in South America when the police were interviewing Price).

If a current UConn student has a copy of the code of conduct, he might want to look up the section on physical abuse. At some colleges, I've seen very low thresholds for expulsion. If you have sex wit an inebriated person on some campuses, you can be thrown out of school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom