Joel Ntambwe (UNLV Transfer) | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Joel Ntambwe (UNLV Transfer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This concerns me because next year is not looking promising even if we add an impact grad transfer. Someone earlier said we’re a 20 win team next year, I don’t see it we’re still a year or two away.

As long as we don’t get decimated by injuries we will win 20 games. 20 games really isn’t that much and we should have won 20 games this season. We will be better.

Reaction Score
As long as we don’t get decimated by injuries we will win 20 games. 20 games really isn’t that much and we should have won 20 games this season. We will be better.
I wouldn't call it easy. Most teams don't do it.

Let's see our schedule, first. Let's see who is on our team. 20 games is doable, but not nearly so easy when you're losing your leading scorer and maybe your second leading scorer.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't call it easy. Most teams don't do it.

Let's see our schedule, first. Let's see who is on our team. 20 games is doable, but not nearly so easy when you're losing your leading scorer and maybe your second leading scorer.
Yeah we don't even know who's going to be on the team

Reaction Score
Our fans are so used to success they think you can fart out a 20 win season. Hell, we haven't had a winning season in 3 years! Calhoun didn't even win 20 games every year, even after winning multiple titles and having rosters full of Top 100 talent.

Fans would crucify him for the 1997 and 2007 seasons now. They didn't much like it then (and I remember the latter), but there was a sense that the kids would be alright. And they were.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

And top to bottom, the league will probably be stronger next year.

Reaction Score
I expect us to have a better yr next yr. 20 wins is my goal. We don't know roster construction yet. But thats what Hurley gets paid the big bucks to figure out

Reaction Score
I don’t know about that. Attendance increased from last year. We do have one of the more rabid fan bases in the entire country, but 3 straight years of being sub.500 can deflate any fan bases’ energy

The fan base was once very rabid and we even got into the top 25 in average attendance for some seasons in the 90's, but lately not so much. I haven't seen the numbers for this year, 18-19, but the numbers for the 17-18 season show UConn at about #60 in average attendance. http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_basketball_RB/2019/Attendance.pdf

Attendance increased from 7829 per game in 17-18 to about 8600 per game in 18-19. For some comparisons, Providence averaged 9547, URI 6216, and Creighton about 17,000 in 17-18. Who would ever believe the 4 time national champions would average about 1700 less than PU and only about 1600 more than URI?

UConn at #60 in 17-18 was bad enough, but this year's tribute to Ray Allen had to be embarrassing for Ray when only a little over 9,000 turned out to see his jersey retired.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
If his family is in Connecticut then he can get a waver to play next year on a hardship. Heck they are all doing it, plus his coach that recruited him was fired.
Of course the NCAA hates UConn so probably not going to get a waver like every other school has so far.

C

Chief00

Lmao this guy is trying to decide where to spend the next 4 years of his life. Maybe we can give him more than just a weekend to think about it?

That’s not how recruiting works - true maybe more than a weekend but days not weeks.

C

Chief00

Next year is critical. Our fickle fan base is dwindling by the minute. It can’t really take another bad year. I’m sure Hurley has a handle on the scholarship situation
To be fair the “fickle” fan base just got hit with a $400 seat donation at both XL and Gampel or $800 combined for one season.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The climb is frustrating but, outside of the lunatic fringe, I think most can see that we have the right coach and a staff with a plan. Winning next year would be great for our collective sanity, but I don’t think anyone is jumping ship. We’ll get there.

You know that and I know that. The dedicated fans, sure. But there are casual fans out there who expected 20 wins last year (and without injuries we might have had it). It was disappointing to the casual fan.

This team needs an NCAA bid or deep NIT run. I think they will manage it. The talent was there for an NIT run last year. Marshall took a Wichita State team with less talent than we had to the NIT final four. They changed dramatically over the season.

Reaction Score
Would give us an extremely long team in two years with bouknight, Sid Wilson, Akok, polley, and a 5 star center!

Reaction Score
That’s not how recruiting works - true maybe more than a weekend but days not weeks.
I agree that's not how it works for a typical high school recruit, but it's a little different for a transfer. Coming out of high school, coaches spend years going to these kid's games and building a relationship prior to the visit. Because of that, if all goes well on the visit the kid should feel confident in committing.

For a transfer it's different, especially for a kid like this where he is mainly transferring due to the coach being fired, which happened like 2 weeks ago. He'd be silly to not do his due diligence and make sure that he is making the right decision. And even if he is 100% sure it's uconn, as others have mentioned he probably still feels as if he needs to properly alert UNLV. Heck, as of like 3 days ago most UNLV insiders thought he was coming back to school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom