Joel Ntambwe (UNLV Transfer) | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Joel Ntambwe (UNLV Transfer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Is that legal? Did anyone bother to tell Polley he was misinformed?

Maybe a strong take here, but I'd prefer Polley's style of play to mirror Klay Thompson instead of Andrew Wiggins

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Polley served a purpose he was a shooter who drew forwards away from the basket and opened up lanes, problem was that he wasn’t really serviceable at anything else. His biggest deficiency is toughness. You’d have to to think Calhoun would have taken a VERY different approach with him than Hurley. I wonder if that approach would be more effective.

Reaction Score
Ntambwe.
Kuminga, I believe is 2021.
maybe if Kuminga wants to play with his brother sooner he'll take the extra classes/ meet the requirements necessary to reclassify to 2020. (wishful thinking)

Reaction Score
Polley served a purpose he was a shooter who drew forwards away from the basket and opened up lanes, problem was that he wasn’t really serviceable at anything else. His biggest deficiency is toughness. You’d have to to think Calhoun would have taken a VERY different approach with him than Hurley. I wonder if that approach would be more effective.

To follow up, on average it took Polley this year over 11.7 minutes to grab a single rebound. That is a stunning number for someone of his height who guards 4s. You would think you would get more defensive rebounds than that just by standing there and barely trying.

Reaction Score
Are these guys actually brothers? Why do they have different last names

Reaction Score

They are.

Sometimes African kids will use their first name as a last name, and pick up an Anglicized name.

Also might just have different fathers.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
To follow up, on average it took Polley this year over 11.7 minutes to grab a single rebound. That is a stunning number for someone of his height who guards 4s. You would think you would get more defensive rebounds than that just by standing there and barely trying.
His rebounding numbers are abysmal. But he was great at holding players he was guarding to below their scoring averages. He defended against threes when they were the best or one of the best scorers of opposing teams. His weak side help improved steadily over the season.

Reaction Score
His rebounding numbers are abysmal. But he was great at holding players he was guarding to below their scoring averages. He defended against threes when they were the best or one of the best scorers of opposing teams. His weak side help improved steadily over the season.

I do not disagree with any of this. Unlike others, while I hope Sid Wilson uses his athleticism to shoot ahead of Tyler on the depth chart, Tyler improved from last year to this year and during this year and is likely to still be starting next year.

That doesn't unfortunately make the rebounding numbers less astounding.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I realize Hurley didn't have a whole bench full of options to replace Polley, but....................

I would focus on Polley a few times during the game when UConn was on D. Quite often when the shot went up, Polley would start creeping towards halfcourt. It's almost as if the game plan was for Polley to get ahead of the D and get to the three point line as part of the fast break. Not normal for a stretch 4 but there was only a few times I saw Hurley get on Polley or yank him over lack of boards.
You'd think he'd have to average 4-5 per game just by being near the basket and rebounds but I would see instances of Adams or Vital crashing the glass while Polley was working his way down the court.
It's not like the staff didn't have stat sheets and film to see if Polley was doing what he was supposed to do.

Overall, are his rebounding numbers way outside the curve for his position? Absolutely.
Is this due to his inability to rebound? Not sure.

Reaction Score
I realize Hurley didn't have a whole bench full of options to replace Polley, but.....

I would focus on Polley a few times during the game when UConn was on D. Quite often when the shot went up, Polley would start creeping towards halfcourt. It's almost as if the game plan was for Polley to get ahead of the D and get to the three point line as part of the fast break. Not normal for a stretch 4 but there was only a few times I saw Hurley get on Polley or yank him over lack of boards.
You'd think he'd have to average 4-5 per game just by being near the basket and rebounds but I would see instances of Adams or Vital crashing the glass while Polley was working his way down the court.
It's not like the staff didn't have stat sheets and film to see if Polley was doing what he was supposed to do.

Overall, are his rebounding numbers way outside the curve for his position? Absolutely.

Wish we won more games this year so I could go back & look for this. If true it does raise the question is it ability, aggressiveness or scheme

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score

I believe they are. Per BuckleyNerd, this seems like a common practice for naming in Africa.

In living up to my username, here is a pdf explaining and listing common Congolese names. https://jlalablog.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/african-congolese-names-or-zairian-names.pdf

It appears that the first names of all these guys are all Anglicized or Gallicized (made French sry) and their "last names" are their ethnic first/only names?

C

Chief00

Thank you Chief for once again coming in and enlightening us with day-old information.

I appreciate your interest but you need a better understanding of what #ChiefCertified means. That was new news and level of confidence in what was trending on Twitter. Please remember that what’s on Twitter is often inaccurate.
@Rico444, I hope this helps your understanding. Thanks.

Reaction Score
A lot of names we recognize here in his original recruitment article.

UNLV has been in heaviest pursuit of Ntambwe, with recruiting ace Andre Lafleur serving as the leading man.
Lafleur has recruited many of hybrid forwards of Ntambwe’s type during his time under Hall of Fame coach Jim Calhoun at UConn. UNLV head coach Marvin Menzies and the entire staff was in to see Ntambwe recently and Lafleur put in considerable effort this summer. Beyond UNLV, Rhode Island assistant coach Tom Moore (who like Lafleur is a Jim Calhoun disciple and former UConn assistant) was intrigued with Ntamwbe this summer and has been a key presence in his recruitment.

Recruiting Update: Joel Ntambwe | Prep Hoops

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I do not disagree with any of this. Unlike others, while I hope Sid Wilson uses his athleticism to shoot ahead of Tyler on the depth chart, Tyler improved from last year to this year and during this year and is likely to still be starting next year.

I've a hard time believing Akok won't start at the 4 next year, so that would put Polley at the 3. I don't know if that's the way to go or not. I'd rather put three guards or a true wing out there myself. I wouldn't be shocked to see Bouknight at starting the 3.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

IIrc, Hurley has spoken about Polley's lack of motor and the fact they need to get him tougher inside there.

So the pattern above could very well be by design. It plays to his strengths. Not a great rebounder, not great handle, most suited to 3pt shooting. So let's get him as many open looks from the perimeter as we can.

You'd think at his height, if he were a good rebounder, the staff would have him inside crashing the boards.

Reaction Score

That doesn't unfortunately make the rebounding numbers less astounding.

Geno once told a player “ congrats you have i more rebound than a dead person”.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
I've a hard time believing Akok won't start at the 4 next year, so that would put Polley at the 3. I don't know if that's the way to go or not. I'd rather put three guards or a true wing out there myself. I wouldn't be shocked to see Bouknight at starting the 3.
Sid could easily be starting at the 3 if his jumper is more consistent, which I don't think is out of the realm of possibility.

Reaction Score
Per his Instagram story, as of 30 min ago he is practicing at UNLV’s facility

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member