Jim Fuller: Geno not concerned about 11 player roster | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Jim Fuller: Geno not concerned about 11 player roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It never ceases to amaze me that some people have entrenched preconceived notions about Geno, and even in a specific context, in spite of all the evidence to the contrary, continue to stick to their view. I'm all for people exercising their right to opine on topics on the board, but in the face of commentary from SOMEONE WHO WAS ACTUALLY THERE LISTENING IN PERSON, to continue to chime in negatively is idiotic.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Okay, in order for us to continue to have an elite women's basketball program requires that we accept it as being okay for coach A to employ very negative words in describing his evaluation of two former student athletes and team members, right?

IMHO, this should be a discussion about whether or not it was appropriate for coach A to make such negative comments.

As has been pointed out in a couple of earlier posts, there is no way that either of the young women can defend themselves without appearing to be dealing in sour grapes.

The bottom line is this: Coach A has done an outstanding job developing UConn Women's basketball into an Elite program.

As a teacher and role model for student athletes he is, however, still a work in progress.

There is a specific word that I have never associated with coach A: Oh, I got it.

Tact.

Peace,

John Fryer

Um, John with all respect to your probably impeccable job in guiding young women to great heights, you probably are still meandering without a paddle there. If you had a little more sense, you might go after all the coaches who pull poor unsuspecting players into poorly conceived programs and keep them chained on moribund teams because they have little coaching skills and less empathy with the players. Being preachy and PC is maybe your job, but for all the athletes who came through the UConn system and rave about how his tough, candid, challenging, demanding style is just what they needed to become successful players, coaches, and professionals in all sorts of fields, I'm sure they would say that Geno is a far better role model than any mealy-mouthed pieces of PC correctness that are blind to the very difficult situations on top echelon WCBB teams.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Um, John with all respect to your probably impeccable job in guiding young women to great heights, you probably are still meandering without a paddle there. If you had a little more sense, you might go after all the coaches who pull poor unsuspecting players into poorly conceived programs and keep them chained on moribund teams because they have little coaching skills and less empathy with the players. Being preachy and PC is maybe your job, but for all the athletes who came through the UConn system and rave about how his tough, candid, challenging, demanding style is just what they needed to become successful players, coaches, and professionals in all sorts of fields, I'm sure they would say that Geno is a far better role model than any mealy-mouthed pieces of PC correctness that are blind to the very difficult situations on top echelon WCBB teams.
How dare you. Are you BFF with Geno and his players?

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
How dare you. Are you BFF with Geno and his players?
Big Freaking Fan? Of course, like most people on the BY. Don't agree with the placement of all of Geno's comments, because sometimes I think that other coaches should be left to deal with their problems on their own even if his comments are on the mark, but here it's a no-brainer, and two players have been given a tough love tribute along with best wishes that are totally on the mark. They gave something for their coach, and he's giving them something valuable back.

I have a women's coach in my area who has won the big championship in our region of NY for 33 years straight along with 8 States titles, and he says that the reason for his success is that he has made the same demands on his girls that the guys coaches do. Few of the other coaches believe that the girls should be given the same respect and demands as the guys. 33 years later some of his former athletes are proud that their daughters are being given the same treatment they got and are winning championships. Reminds me of a UConn coach.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
The way I see it, there are really two issues/arguments here, which may explain some of the confusion. The first issue is what Geno meant when he uttered the 'drain' comment. Some posters are arguing that he meant it was draining for Michala and Lauren to be here and be underacheiving, and point out that not being to hear Geno's tone/inflection pretty much precludes anyone from interpreting his comments any other way. The second argument assumes that Geno meant what the transcript of the statement suggests (i.e., that Geno considered the two women a drain on the program) and are debating whether or not Geno should have made any derogatory comments at all. As a fan of a different Big East team, I am certainly NOT someone close to the program, so I cannot speak to the first argument. But if we assume that Geno DID mean that these 2 young women WERE a drain on the program, should Geno have said anything at all? That is an entirely valid question, and I am sure that the posters who argue that Geno should NOT have spoken in this way did so out of respect to the program, not because they don't like the program. To see them ridiculed for speaking out makes me feel awful. Is that the price of being conscientious? Does the Boneyard want this de facto censorship?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
The way I see it, there are really two issues/arguments here, which may explain some of the confusion. The first issue is what Geno meant when he uttered the 'drain' comment. Some posters are arguing that he meant it was draining for Michala and Lauren to be here and be underacheiving, and point out that not being to hear Geno's tone/inflection pretty much precludes anyone from interpreting his comments any other way. The second argument assumes that Geno meant what the transcript of the statement suggests (i.e., that Geno considered the two women a drain on the program) and are debating whether or not Geno should have made any derogatory comments at all. As a fan of a different Big East team, I am certainly NOT someone close to the program, so I cannot speak to the first argument. But if we assume that Geno DID mean that these 2 young women WERE a drain on the program, should Geno have said anything at all? That is an entirely valid question, and I am sure that the posters who argue that Geno should NOT have spoken in this way did so out of respect to the program, not because they don't like the program. To see them ridiculed for speaking out makes me feel awful. Is that the price of being conscientious? Does the Boneyard want this de facto censorship?
There is no censorship. Just some taking issue and telling them that.

Those you say are being ridiculed are throwing it right back, so what is the issue? It's what we do here, but some are too sensitive to handle it.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

I'm going to quibble with your suggestion that by using the word "drain" Geno was talking about the players being a drain on the program as opposed to a drain during practice time. As David Siegel pointed out, Geno was talking matter-of-factly about keeping up with the speed and pace of practice. Geno said earlier that he believed Michala and Lauren were terrific young women who were great teammates and student-athletes who otherwise contributed to the program.

My larger point has to do with your censorship remark. Disagreement and censorship are not the same thing as you know. Disagreement by the majority with the comments of a couple of posters does not equal censorship, nor does frustration expressed by some posters over the comments of a couple equal censorship. Oh, and the minority here is hardly being ridiculed.

I admit I fall into both camps: I disagree with the comments of the minority here and I am frustrated by them as well. My disagreement is that I think people are ascribing a meaning and intent to Geno's comments that were not present. Words can be taken out of context as ND fans learned with Muffet McGraw's comment about Brittney Griner after ND's loss in the championship game. Most people realized what Coach McGraw meant and were willing to give her the benefit of the doubt; but there were a few, including ESPN, who were more interested creating a controversy. With respect to Geno's comments, there is a poster who was present at the press conference who provided his take on what Geno meant and didn't mean. That, together with Geno's history with his players, is good enough for most who are willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Geno has been speaking directly and honestly (and yes, sometimes harshly) about his players for as long as he's been a coach. Yet, every time one of his quotes can be taken to be "mean" or "critical" or "too harsh" towards one of his players (or someone else) we have a lengthy thread debating whether Geno said something terrible. These debates always ends up at the same place. The games will go on and UConn will win most of them and win some championships largely because Geno is who he is and is willing to say what he says. As I said earlier, Geno isn't for the faint of heart yet top players continue to play for him and the overwhelming majority of his player think the world of him. That says enough for me.

Reaction Score

Wow! Did you go way back and check out what I majored in at UConn!

Cool.

(Suggestion: It is never a good idea to interpret Civility as Weakness!)

What happens in other programs isn't of any interest to me.

I find following UConn Women's Basketball very interesting. I have found the BY to be the best place for me to share that interest with others who are like-minded!

Hence, I tend to react to both negative and positive events/news that are related to UConn Women's Basketball.

Now I realize and accept that I am not part of the BYs old guard. (For example, and a little OT. It is possible that I may have been one of a few posters on the old board whose post count was not grandfathered? I don't know for sure and it isn't something that I lose sleep over. But sometimes, I just can't help but wonder what was up with that?)

Lastly, I believe that each and every adult who is involved in/with educating young people has a responsiblity to conduct themselves with civility. Especially as it relates to students and, as in the focus of this discussion, student/athletes .

If it makes me PC to believe in civility, then I am guilty as charged.

Peace,

John Fryer

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

Cool.

I find following UConn Women's Basketball very interesting. I have found the BY to be the best place for me to share that interest with others who are like-minded!

Hence, I tend to react to both negative and positive events/news that are related to UConn Women's Basketball.

Now I realize and accept that I am not part of the BYs old guard. (For example, and a little OT. It is possible that I may have been one of a few posters on the old board whose post count was not grandfathered? I don't know for sure and it isn't something that I lose sleep over. But sometimes, I just can't help but wonder what was up with that?)

Lastly, I believe that each and every adult who is involved in/with educating young people has a responsiblity to conduct themselves with civility. Especially as it relates to students and, as in the focus of this discussion, student/athletes .

Peace,

John Fryer
No one had post counts grandfathered.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I'm going to go ahead and guess that Lauren and Michala have far thicker skin than a number of people who have contributed to this thread.

I'm also appreciative of a coach who's willing to speak his mind and not mince words. He got asked a question and responded honestly. What exactly would have been gained by some sort of lame "political" response that can be interpreted far more variably by the individual than a direct and honest one?

They weren't going to play. We were razor thin in 2010-11. Bria and Stef played. Lauren and Michala didn't. They didn't play last season either. KML, Kiah, and Banks all did. On top of that, we add three more players, some of the most elite in the country. When exactly were they going to play?

And then he states it's a drain to have practices where two people are falling behind and not getting stuff. Well, he's right. Ever been in a class where there's some student who's not getting it and is asking a slew of questions and keeping the class as a whole from progressing? Is that annoying and frustrating for all concerned? Yes. Is the person not getting it a drain? Yes. What exactly is the problem?

Oh, I get the problems: one, he should be nice and diplomatic rather than stating the obvious, especially since two, he recruited these kids to begin with. Well, he actually offered some insight as to what he was hoping for when he recruited them, the kind of player he's taken similar chances on in the past. Clearly, Lauren and Michala weren't going to develop into those kinds of players at this point. So he acknowledged he took a chance that didn't pay off in these cases. Nothing wrong with that statement. So basically it boils down to "Aw, he wasn't nice to them by saying that." Guess what? These aren't china dolls that shatter unless you whisper sweet nothings in their ears and speak in euphemism. They're young women- strong, tough, accomplished young women who can take it...just like the men can, if not better.

Thank you Geno for speaking your mind and giving direct answers to direct questions. Please continue to do so. Thank you for treating your kids like basketball players that happen to be young women rather than young women who happen to be basketball players. Lauren and Michala probably thank you for giving them a chance, even if it didn't work out. And to those of you so sensitive to the feelings of others that you're going to get all wound up about a little cold honesty, knock yourselves out. However, you might be better served following one of those kids soccer leagues where everyone has a good time and you're not supposed to keep score.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
"We need a lot of guys to get a lot of minutes," Auriemma said. "Unfortunately or fortunately, for Michala and Lauren not to be here is kind of a blessing for them and blessing for us because they weren't going to play. Now we have 11 players who for the most part are going to play and in some way, shape or form are going to be deserving to play. I think that makes practices even better and even more competitive. I am looking forward to that. We haven't had that in a while.

"You take a chance on kids when you are recruiting them. They are not all Jamelle Elliotts or Meghan Pattysons or Jessica Moores. Some kids who take a chance on and they get here and it doesn't work out. While they are here and it is not working out, it is a drain. I know everybody loves to see them in the last two minutes 'oh aren't they cute and why aren't they playing more?' They don't realize it is a drain because they can't keep up with everybody at practice and it make it difficult so going into the season feeling like it is going to be more competitive than ever."

I promised Radylady that this thread was over, but it just springs back to life; sorry Rady

If these kids were pro's, then Geno's comments would be fine.
But they're not, they are students and he is an educator. In the case of Michala who was an emerging star before she was injured, this failure (and that's what it is) to perform, to recover her former strength and potential must be especially rankling.

But she never publicly displayed any such feelings, indeed becoming cheerleader-in-chief; a real sweetheart.

Geno now has the team, every coach dreams of; any one on the squad is capable of turning around a game; For him, it is potentially the same coaching situ he had in the Olympics. Does anyone expect him not to triumph with this bunch?

But to take gratuitous shots at these two vulnerable kids, for no reason, just wasn't necessary. They're doing him a favor, they're leaving, no more problems with people that can't keep up. They did not attack him or the program, but read the handwriting on the wall and quietly snuck out of Dodge. His verbal bon voyage is unbecoming or worse.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score

Cool.

Peace,

John Fryer

Yeah, I don't think anyone needs to get touchy about grandfather issues, since for all of us we just had to start over again. What you attribute to high granddad accounts is simply that some posters camp out here 12 months of the year and gnaw on the bones to suck out every bit of WCBB marrow. And a lot of them do a lot of OT stuff.

Civility is very nice for mah-jongg championship matches, and if that's your prime value, by all means it can be a fine thing to have as long as it isn't used to cover up all the issues that need to be addressed. As all of us know who have followed UConn WCBB for the last few decades, Geno values far more the frank, honest and instructive side of things to civil politeness. And it is also true that there are fans who are far more willing to ascribe demeaning intent to his remarks more than others. But though Geno has been quite forthright over the years about his comments on his players, which he sees as a teaching mode and a way to get through to them, he doesn't throw his players under the Greyhound when they lose a game by saying they gave up on him and didn't want to win, like other coaches have been known to do.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
"We need a lot of guys to get a lot of minutes," Auriemma said. "Unfortunately or fortunately, for Michala and Lauren not to be here is kind of a blessing for them and blessing for us because they weren't going to play. Now we have 11 players who for the most part are going to play and in some way, shape or form are going to be deserving to play. I think that makes practices even better and even more competitive. I am looking forward to that. We haven't had that in a while.

"You take a chance on kids when you are recruiting them. They are not all Jamelle Elliotts or Meghan Pattysons or Jessica Moores. Some kids who take a chance on and they get here and it doesn't work out. While they are here and it is not working out, it is a drain. I know everybody loves to see them in the last two minutes 'oh aren't they cute and why aren't they playing more?' They don't realize it is a drain because they can't keep up with everybody at practice and it make it difficult so going into the season feeling like it is going to be more competitive than ever."

I promised Radylady that this thread was over, but it just springs back to life; sorry Rady

If these kids were pro's, then Geno's comments would be fine.
But they're not, they are students and he is an educator. In the case of Michala who was an emerging star before she was injured, this failure (and that's what it is) to perform, to recover her former strength and potential must be especially rankling.

But she never publicly displayed any such feelings, indeed becoming cheerleader-in-chief; a real sweetheart.

Geno now has the team, every coach dreams of; any one on the squad is capable of turning around a game; For him, it is potentially the same coaching situ he had in the Olympics. Does anyone expect him not to triumph with this bunch?

But to take gratuitous shots at these two vulnerable kids, for no reason, just wasn't necessary. They're doing him a favor, they're leaving, no more problems with people that can't keep up. They did not attack him or the program, but read the handwriting on the wall and quietly snuck out of Dodge. His verbal bon voyage is unbecoming or worse.
Again, you are ignoring what someone that was there and heard Geno said about those comments. Gratuitous shots? Bull. VUlnerable kids? Where do you get that from? You interpretation of his comments are the only gratuitous shots I see here.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yeah, I don't think anyone needs to get touchy about grandfather issues, since for all of us we just had to start over again. What you attribute to high granddad accounts is simply that some posters camp out here 12 months of the year and gnaw on the bones to suck out every bit of WCBB marrow. And a lot of them do a lot of OT stuff.

Civility is very nice for mah-jongg championship matches, and if that's your prime value, by all means it can be a fine thing to have as long as it isn't used to cover up all the issues that need to be addressed. As all of us know who have followed UConn WCBB for the last few decades, Geno values far more the frank, honest and instructive side of things to civil politeness. And it is also true that there are fans who are far more willing to ascribe demeaning intent to his remarks more than others. But though Geno has been quite forthright over the years about his comments on his players, which he sees as a teaching mode and a way to get through to them, he doesn't throw his players under the Greyhound when they lose a game by saying they gave up on him and didn't want to win, like other coaches have been known to do.

Burp!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Part of the fascinating dispute here is involved with conjecture of how Geno's remarks were received by the principals involved.
In my new position as a local newsman, my impulse is to ask them.
To that end, I sent the following E-mail to an address that I think is that of Lauren's mom.

Dear Ms Engeln
If you are indeed Lauren's mom, would you be willing to briefly comment with regard Coach A's recent comment about Lauren and Michala. There is a significant dispute on the UConn board with regard the appropriateness of these remarks and you or your husband's view on this subject would be invaluable

Michael Feldman

Reaction Score
Part of the fascinating dispute here is involved with conjecture of how Geno's remarks were received by the principals involved.
To that end, I sent the following E-mail to an address that I think is that of Lauren's mom.

Dear Ms Engeln
If you are indeed Lauren's mom, would you be willing to briefly comment with regard Coach A's recent comment about Lauren and Michala. There is a significant dispute on the UConn board with regard the appropriateness of these remarks and you or your husband's view on this subject would be invaluable

Michael Feldman
I certainly hope you provided your credentials as to your local newsman status, what publication you represent, etc.. If not, and I am the parent of one of these girls, I take your inquiry as to an intrusion into my family's privacy at best, creepy at worst, and delete the email immediately without comment. I am flabbergasted that you had the gall to impose yourself into the lives of this family simply to "settle" a dispute on a fan message board.

Reaction Score
*Sigh* What does it take to get a thread locked?
Good question.

When assumptions about how Sylvia Hatchell and UNC will handle the management of more committed players than available scholarships, the possibility that some players would not be treated fairly to "make room" and posters are accused of attacking her character by making assumptions on how these relationships will be handled the thread gets locked in a heartbeat.

But apparently Geno is fair game?

We don't know the conversations he had with Lauren and Michala. For all we know, they themselves expressed to Geno that they felt they were a drain on the team in practice, recognized they wouldn't see meaningful playing time and decided transfering would best serve both themselves and the team. Maybe that is where his words in his comments came from. We don't know they did, but we don't know they didn't either.

An awful lot of assumptions are being made on his meaning and intent to belittle these players and how the impacted players must feel about what he said. I don't see how this is that much different than the UNC speculation.

After opening that door, if that doesn't lock this thread I don't know what will. :rolleyes:

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score

Dear Ms Engeln

Michael Feldman
That's an interesting experiment, but I'd be a little cautious about bringing parents into the discussion not only because there are privacy issues and that parents tend to be hyper-protective of their kids, but because a lot depends on how questions are phrased, i.e.:

"Ms Engeln, how do you feel about Coach Geno Auriemma's comment that your daughter drained the program down the wazoo?"

vs.

"Ms. Engeln, how do you feel about Coach Geno Auriemma's comment that your daughter had an often draining and tough challenge at UConn last year?"

I think some of the posters here are pushing the first question, but some of us feel that the second might be just a tad more valid. And no, after the hyperbolics that have been exhibited by a number of WCBB parents, I just wouldn't go there into parent interviews. They have their kids at heart, but the brains are sometimes elsewhere.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Lock....lock lock lock lock pretty please lock(?)

I wish I had the power

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
I join Rady in begging for a thread lock. I also beg Michael Feldman to reconsider if he finds "His" point of view on this matter to be so important that he can invade the privacy of a family just to make himself feel better/more important.

I also wonder what "local news" position he is in, and why he feels he needs to inflate his position/point of view here.

I am all for healthy debate, room for opposing viewpoints, etc. But inserting your self into a family's private business is pretty deplorable, IMO. It is rude to the family and disrespecful to Lauren, who is trying to make an important transition in her life.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I certainly hope you provided your credentials as to your local newsman status, what publication you represent, etc.. If not, and I am the parent of one of these girls, I take your inquiry as to an intrusion into my family's privacy at best, creepy at worst, and delete the email immediately without comment. I am flabbergasted that you had the gall to impose yourself into the lives of this family simply to "settle" a dispute on a fan message board.
Yea kinda my thoughts too. If I was the parent and decided to respond at all, it would be more like "Seriously? You want me to settle a dispute on a message board about my daughter?. How about long walk, short pier?"

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yep, way over the top of responsible decision making. Families should be left alone always. And if they respond I would further suggest it would be grossly inappropriate to post the response here and it should be deleted immediately.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Wow.

!!!

It's a free country, so email if you wish, but in my opinion this really crosses a number of lines that ought not be crossed, especially by someone who is--in a manner of speaking--purporting to write on behalf of the 'Yard.

I would also hope this thread is locked soon. Possibly a good time for the mods to consider some additional BY rules as well.

My 2 cents

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
We don't know the conversations he had with Lauren and Michala. :rolleyes:

There can be no doubt but that at some point, Michala and Lauren had at least one conversation with Geno. It is almost certain that these conversations were difficult but candid. This is as far as I can go with my assumptions.

We don't know what was said. We have no idea about the extent of participation by Chris, Shea, or Morisa. When Walker left, we were provided a synopsis. and in Geno's book and Mel's book, we get occasional insights about past transfers.

But in these cases, we know next to nothing. If we did, our discussion would be less speculative and certainly less confrontational. (And less long.)

We all agree on wishing Michala and Lauren well. I'll leave it at that for now.

Reaction Score
ok, now wasn't that fun? i poked the bear to get this discussion going and outside of a few 'maryland sucks so go away' type comments it was an amazing thread. I think there is some St. Geno Syndrome going on but it is safe to be in that spot since Uconn continues to roll up the best recruits and victories. Still, it was great to see some others step in to stay the comments seemed a little unnecessary and really that is all i meant. peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom