Jim Fuller: Geno not concerned about 11 player roster | The Boneyard

Jim Fuller: Geno not concerned about 11 player roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
"We need a lot of guys to get a lot of minutes," Auriemma said. "Unfortunately or fortunately, for Michala and Lauren not to be here is kind of a blessing for them and blessing for us because they weren't going to play. Now we have 11 players who for the most part are going to play and in some way, shape or form are going to be deserving to play. I think that makes practices even better and even more competitive. I am looking forward to that. We haven't had that in a while."

LINK

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It seems he feels it's really a blessing in disguise. I think a roster of 11, with Buck being "#11", is about perfect. In a big blowout, the starters could get just over 20 MPG and that would leave just under 20 MPG for the rest of the team. Some in other posts were questioning how Geno would "keep everyone happy". I never thought it was an issue, and apparently Geno doesn't either.

Reaction Score
"We need a lot of guys to get a lot of minutes," Auriemma said. "Unfortunately or fortunately, for Michala and Lauren not to be here is kind of a blessing for them and blessing for us because they weren't going to play. Now we have 11 players who for the most part are going to play and in some way, shape or form are going to be deserving to play. I think that makes practices even better and even more competitive. I am looking forward to that. We haven't had that in a while."

LINK
Geno throws Michala and Lauren under the bus by saying they were a drain on the team during practices and calls it a blessing that they left. ouch! kinda uncalled for don't you think? so no love loss between them i see and no nice words for them on their way out plus no nice words from Michala and Lauren for Geno. another sign of disfunction or does Geno always say f' you to those that leave?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Geno throws Michala and Lauren under the bus by saying they were a drain on the team during practices and calls it a blessing that they left. ouch! kinda uncalled for don't you think? so no love loss between them i see and no nice words for them on their way out plus no nice words from Michala and Lauren for Geno. another sign of disfunction or does Geno always say f' you to those that leave?

Another sign of disfunction [sic]? What are the others? Surely it can't be 5 straight final fours, right? Geno says what he thinks to the players directly and to the media. Nothing new here; it's always been that way. UConn and Geno are not for the faint of heart. Players know that yet keep coming to play for him.

Geno previously talked about both of them as persons and students-athletes. This is about basketball and playing time on this team.

Do come back, 1fan, when UConn plays Maryland this season.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Hardly. Where did you get that they were being thrown under the bus? You take a chance on a kid and sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't. Sign of "disfunction"? Fans of other schools are generally welcome here unless they are complete morons. Another post like that and you will earn a spot in that sad group. Lauren and Michala, by all accounts, left on very good terms. I assume you are referring to this quote...

"You take a chance on kids when you are recruiting them. They are not all Jamelle Elliotts or Meghan Pattysons or Jessica Moores. Some kids who take a chance on and they get here and it doesn't work out. While they are here and it is not working out, it is a drain. I know everybody loves to see them in the last two minutes 'oh aren't they cute and why aren't they playing more?' They don't realize it is a drain because they can't keep up with everybody at practice and it makes it difficult, so going into the season feeling like it is going to be more competitive than ever."

It's a drain because time, energy, effort and resources all go into teaching these kids. If they simply aren't getting better and have no chance of cracking the top 10 on the team in terms of depth chart, even in blowouts their time will be limited to the last 4 minutes of a game.

Reaction Score
Thank you for your post. While I do not agree with a single word you said..... I would like to say Thank You for posting and have a nice day.

Reaction Score

Geno doesn't mince his words finely enough for everyone...you'll learn to appreciate that eventually...or not.

I can tell you that Michala and Lauren were both really well liked by the coaches, the team and everyone on this board. We all hoped they'd do better and earn more time, but it was easy to see the mounting frustration...particularly with Lauren. I was surprised to see Michala leave first, but with her sister playing for Wisconsin it made perfect sense. It was no surprise to see Lauren leave...she's been telegraphing it for awhile.

I guess you kinda missed the part where Geno said it was going to be a blessing for the young ladies, too...I think he was sincere and I think we all feel the same way about them.

Reaction Score

LINK

Geno tells it like it is. Always. There is no reading between the lines. Now he has the same size roster he had at the Olympics and the players are pretty evenly talented. With this talent, Uconn will outlast every team, maybe with the exception of Baylor. He won't have a couple of people with lesser talent sitting on the bench, craving for playing time. I think a roster of 10 or 11 is ideal for Geno the way he coaches. Should be fun to watch this year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Two key parts of that quote, in my view:

"You take a chance on kids when you are recruiting them." He mentions Jamelle, Meghan, and Jessica, but the fact is that there are risks with everyone, even the Dianas, Mayas, and Breannas. The risks may be different, but the bottom line is that there are no guarantees.

"It is a drain because they can't keep up with everybody at practice." It's like a classroom with geniuses and average kids. The geniuses may not get enough of a challenge or individual attention to reach their full potential.

Heather and Brianna are now the end of the bench. Both have shown inconsistency, but both have made contributions. BBanks apparently made some major changes for the better in May and she still has 3 years to go. I think she has WNBA potential.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Brianna Banks and Kiah Stokes, IMO, will be the biggest surprises this season potentially.

I think everyone already agree's that the freshman are gonna be special!

I cant wait for the season to start.

Reaction Score
Two key parts of that quote, in my view:

"You take a chance on kids when you are recruiting them." He mentions Jamelle, Meghan, and Jessica, but the fact is that there are risks with everyone, even the Dianas, Mayas, and Breannas. The risks may be different, but the bottom line is that there are no guarantees.

"It is a drain because they can't keep up with everybody at practice." It's like a classroom with geniuses and average kids. The geniuses may not get enough of a challenge or individual attention to reach their full potential.

Exactly. Sometimes I wish people could see Geno or hear the voice inflection when things are said. He was by no means being mean about the specific kids involved, he was talking about the pace and speed of practice for a team like UConn.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Exactly. Sometimes I wish people could see Geno or hear the voice inflection when things are said. He was by no means being mean about the specific kids involved, he was talking about the pace and speed of practice for a team like UConn.

Thanks for providing context. Words in print are often misinterpreted.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I dink dis guy meant dis functional aspect of UConn is simply incomparable da most a dees programs. And if youse don't get dis it don't matter how many of dem 5 star atletes youse get lettin' dem all articulate to and from yur place ain't gonna help. Kabeesh.

Me and me friends will be convincing dis guy dat dat is certoinly is what he meant no matta what no doitle dinks. I ope dis helps youse. OK. Danks.

Reaction Score
Another sign of disfunction [sic]? What are the others? Surely it can't be 5 straight final fours, right? Geno says what he thinks to the players directly and to the media. Nothing new here; it's always been that way. UConn and Geno are not for the faint of heart. Players know that yet keep coming to play for him.

Geno previously talked about both of them as persons and students-athletes. This is about basketball and playing time on this team.

Do come back, 1fan, when UConn plays Maryland this season.
the other sign was all these folks leaving in the first place. Dysfunction (thanks to all you spelling police...) is claimed when players from other teams leave, but not when they leave uconn. also dysfunction is claimed when no happy words are passed back and forth between player and coach when said person leaves, but not when that happens at uconn. ever feel like a hypocrite? IMHO, calling someone a drain on your practices was uncalled for and yes, throwing those girls under the bus.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
the other sign was all these folks leaving in the first place. Dysfunction (thanks to all you spelling police...) is claimed when players from other teams leave, but not when they leave uconn. also dysfunction is claimed when no happy words are passed back and forth between player and coach when said person leaves, but not when that happens at uconn. ever feel like a hypocrite? IMHO, calling someone a drain on your practices was uncalled for and yes, throwing those girls under the bus.

I'll take the word of someone who was actually at the press gathering over an envious Terp fan any day. Thanks, and do come back when UConn and Maryland meet up this year. We're all looking forward to that one.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

Players leave every program. But I guess that was your point since months ago, some posters here called Maryland disfunctional and it bothered you, being a Maryland fan.

But this is a UConn board and many folks here aren't fond of Brenda and your program. So, I would suggest you suck it up, deal with it and not act like a baby because we hurt your feelings.

Will Maryland keep UConn under 100? Doubtful.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
+1
I'll take the word of someone who was actually at the press gathering over an envious Terp fan any day. Thanks, and do come back when UConn and Maryland meet up this year. We're all looking forward to that one.

Never tried turtle soup. Should be interesting

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Wait...... a Maryland fan calling UCONN dysfunctional because of players leaving and the coach's comments??? :rolleyes: A MARYLAND FAN ???

laughingshaq.gif

Reaction Score
What are you complaining to us for? We didn't say it. I'd suggest you tell Geno, but I believe he's unavailable because he's out at the airport criticizing landings.

Reaction Score
Thanks for your interest in Connecticut Women's Basketball

U

UCONNfan1

Everyone is entitled to their opinions. Opinions like that posters' either come from envy/jealousy, or dislike of a hated rival. Since Maryland is not really a rival, I suspect s/he is envious of the success UCONN has enjoyed over the pat 15 years, something Maryland has not come close to. In fact, you could add up the success of the Men's AND women's teams and it wouldn't even compare to the success of only our men's team.

Maryland men and women - 2 NC's, 6 total Final 4's. UCONN men's basketball - 3 NC's, 4 Final 4's.

UCONN men's and women's basketball - 10 NC's, 17 Final 4's. I'd call that hoops envy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom