James Wiseman ruled ineligible | Page 4 | The Boneyard

James Wiseman ruled ineligible

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Let this sink in.....

Penny didn't even make it through his first summer without screwing his compliance department by forgetting to tell them that he spent $12,000 relocating a prospect closer to his AAU and high school coaching gigs.

This guy spent $12G on a prospect to help him win games that didn't even matter....wonder what he plans on spending at Memphis?!

pj

Reaction Score
The NCAA ruled that based on a 2008 donation by Penny to the University of Memphis he remained a booster in 2017 we need help with Wiseman moving expenses while his AAU coach. That's where the confusion with 2008 and 2017 come in.

Now we know why Memphis can be punished. The money went to Wiseman from a booster. If the payment had been brokered by a coach, as happens at Duke and Kentucky and Kansas and Arizona, no problem. Penny should have waited until Memphis hired him to make the payment.

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
The fact that he’s the most famous athlete to graduate from the school should do that anyway.
Role of Boosters. He clearly promoted the school’s athletic interests.

Here’s the real question, was he already in discussion to become the coach? If so, that’s a problem for Memphis. If not, I think he can argue he did it for the HS team he coached, with no expectation to benefit Memphis. If he was already negotiating to become the coach, I think Wiseman is going to be ineligible.

The fun part is going to be watching Memphis contort itself to say that this was a totally unrelated/private transaction between Hardaway and the Wiseman family and not related to securing his commitment to Memphis.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Can’t believe they suited him up vs Illinois Chicago knowing the ramifications. Hubris at its finest.

Reaction Score
Here is Memphis' position. They're, Memphis, complying with the court order naming them as one of the defendants. The NCAA is the other defendant. Wiseman is the plaintiff. Until the hearing or that court order is reversed it will continue to comply with it. On Wiseman's side he is contending he is being harmed by the NCAA and he, personally, had no involvement in the reimbursement of moving expenses. Wiseman contends, and there's no evidence showing otherwise, that he was unaware of any of that. Still, despite there be no evidence of any wrongdoing on the part of Wiseman he is the one being punished with eligibility by the NCAA. This could cause great harm to Wiseman. Zion's one year at Duke greatly enhanced his value - both shoe deals in otherwise. Wiseman's likely position is the NCAA is causing him harm despite the fact he played no role in any alleged violation. Because he is the plaintiff I'm sure his lawyers will argue something like this at least in part. That NCAA rules are unethical when it comes to innocent parties like this - especially the athletes. In my opinion, his case has the potential to lead to fundamental rule changes in how the NCAA conducts its "business."

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Here is Memphis' position. They're, Memphis, complying with the court order naming them as one of the defendants. The NCAA is the other defendant. Wiseman is the plaintiff. Until the hearing or that court order is reversed it will continue to comply with it. On Wiseman's side he is contending he is being harmed by the NCAA and he, personally, had no involvement in the reimbursement of moving expenses. Wiseman contends, and there's no evidence showing otherwise, that he was unaware of any of that. Still, despite there be no evidence of any wrongdoing on the part of Wiseman he is the one being punished with eligibility by the NCAA. This could cause great harm to Wiseman. Zion's one year at Duke greatly enhanced his value - both shoe deals in otherwise. Wiseman's likely position is the NCAA is causing him harm despite the fact he played no role in any alleged violation. Because he is the plaintiff I'm sure his lawyers will argue something like this at least in part. That NCAA rules are unethical when it comes to innocent parties like this - especially the athletes. In my opinion, his case has the potential to lead to fundamental rule changes in how the NCAA conducts its "business."
Sure, buddy. Memphis can unilaterally decide to not play him, the TRO would only be on the NCAA decision that he is ineligible. And Penny paying to move him 2 years ago was done without his knowledge? That only works for Cam Newton's dad, if I recall.

Reaction Score
That pays for his rims. I've been pretty open about waiting for Penny's flame out. There are not that many people I think are flat out jerks, I think Penny is a mild manner jerk. He can fool you, I'm not a fan at all.

Reaction Score
One of Wiseman's attorneys ask the question what does a 2008 donation have to do with James Wiseman? He was 8 years old at the time. I think this helps you see what direction they plan on going. After the ncaa's "strict liability" ruling against Memphis back in 2008 - a NCAA standard not used buy them before or since, I don't think Memphis is going to roll over on this one.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
It was 11 years ago. The kid was 7 years old and wasn't considered an eligible recruit at that time. The NCAA says you can't recruit anyone until they are in high school. Isn't there some statute limitations here. We could be in trouble here because Geno's dad help DT's uncle move to the states. The NCAA is ridiculous.
Source? I never heard that about Taurasi. I don’t even think they are from the same country.

Reaction Score
Also as the Daily Memphian, a Memphis paper, has pointed out Penny, who is a millionaire 80 or 90 times over, has financially helped hundreds maybe thousands of Memphians over the years. Under the existing NCAA rule all of those who received help and their families are now ineligible to play at Memphis. There seems to be something slightly wacky about that:)

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Also as the Daily Memphian, a Memphis paper, has pointed out Penny, who is a millionaire 80 or 90 times over, has financially helped hundreds maybe thousands of Memphians over the years. Under the existing NCAA rule all of those who received help and their families are now ineligible to play at Memphis. There seems to be something slightly wacky about that:)

It's a gigantic recruiting edge. There's no getting around that.

Reaction Score
So Jay Bilas on Sportscenter talked about the potential consequences of Memphis playing Wiseman last night. He said there is a bylaw that states that Memphis can be ruled ineligible for the postseason if it is found to have played an ineligible player. He thinks the NCAA may go to federal court next week and that is pretty shocking that Memphis played him last night, even with the court order.

Reaction Score
I doubt Wiseman's lawyers will be arguing their case within the framework of the NCAA rules. I would think they would argue that the rules, as applied to their client, are unjust. And in addition, that the rules, as they are applied generally, are applied unequally. I know personally I've seen too many Blue Bloods both in football and basketball get away with stuff that a program like G5 Memphis would hang for. Sporting News has an article about the "strict liability" ruling and the fact that Memphis fans have no taste for a repeat. Decourcy caught the mood. There's a lot of support for the Memphis position in the city right now. So no matter the outcome there's a general feeling that were fighting the good fight :)

Reaction Score
So Jay Bilas on Sportscenter talked about the potential consequences of Memphis playing Wiseman last night. He said there is a bylaw that states that Memphis can be ruled ineligible for the postseason if it is found to have played an ineligible player. He thinks the NCAA may go to federal court next week and that is pretty shocking that Memphis played him last night, even with the court order.
Memphis has been a cesspool since the 70's, so are most of the big progams but they're a commuter school and they will always be treated as such. Penny is the golden boy, how he responds to scrutiny will be interesting. My guess is it will be a "the world is out to get me routine"...clearly I'm not a fan. We can't get out of this conference soon enough.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
We all wondered how Penny landed so many good players - now we know.

Nobody really wondered.

First recruiting pic:

1573313475054.png

Reaction Score
I doubt Wiseman's lawyers will be arguing their case within the framework of the NCAA rules. I would think they would argue that the rules, as applied to their client, are unjust. And in addition, that the rules, as they are applied generally, are applied unequally. I know personally I've seen too many Blue Bloods both in football and basketball get away with stuff that a program like G5 Memphis would hang for. Sporting News has an article about the "strict liability" ruling and the fact that Memphis fans have no taste for a repeat. Decourcy caught the mood. There's a lot of support for the Memphis position in the city right now. So no matter the outcome there's a general feeling that were fighting the good fight :)

You’re out of your mind with all this support. Let us have our discussions on this topic on our board as we get where you stand. As ridiculous as you sound you are a Memphis fan I get it. But just know you’re rooting for a cheater period. Enjoy whatever the results are I hope we do too.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
round up all the lawyers for both sides, dress them up in three piece suits and high heels, and play a one game winner-takes-all for the kids' eligibility. slap a cage and some peach baskets on that outdoor court (cuz of the shoe thing) for an old-timey feel, maybe broadcast it in black and white, too. when memphis wins (that town can ball), do big screen close-ups of the ncaa losers slinking away, as they return to their day jobs of inventing new ways of stick it to us. (I heard that there is a whole floor at ncaa hq dedicated to UConn inspectors. four rings recently for the guys, and, like every ring for the girls? that don't fit the script! how dare we?) and, why does this whole thing and its' timing feel like nothing more than an ncaa publicity grab? ohhh, right, right ,right 'harrumpf, we ah concerned with tha in-tegg-grah-tee of our hallowed spawht.' yeah, sure.

Last edited:

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Crazy idea. Kid declared ineligible. Games are all erased from the records. Memphis gets to like 4-0. Their season is messed up. They feature & play the kid the rest of the season anyway. All eyes on them, the kid, and their program.

Then they play the victim as they miss the tournaments, yet should have been in. What’s the downside? Is a kid like Precious mad or grateful to be on the most talked about team in sport?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom