James Wiseman ruled ineligible | Page 5 | The Boneyard

James Wiseman ruled ineligible

Reaction Score

>>The NCAA’s response was actually somewhat insightful, even by their covert standards. The NCAA’s eligibility and enforcement arms are branded as the bad cops, but they pride themselves on cooperating with schools to give them the best information whether or not to play players for varying issues. The NCAA made it clear that they warned Memphis by saying in a statement: “The University of Memphis was notified that James Wiseman is likely ineligible. The university chose to play him, and ultimately is responsible for ensuring its student-athletes are eligible to play.”

What would the repercussions be? Check out the potential penalties below, and it’s curious that Memphis would take a risk to play Wiseman against lowly UIC for penalties that range from forfeited games to potentially having to sit out the postseason. The tough question for Rudd here is why you’d risk the postseason for the rest of your current players if Wiseman is, indeed, deemed ineligible.

“If you play a kid under a temporary injunction, and it’s later found to not be permanent, these are the risks you run institutionally,” Brown said.

de234ab0-029c-11ea-abf9-d11edfb96a3e

Reaction Score
Question, why isn't the NCAA going after Alex Lomax? Penny provided a shelter, food, and a home to Alex when he had none. Those are certainly benefits no? Lomax then came and play for Penny. Just curious, why isn't the NCAA also going after Lomax?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
One of Wiseman's attorneys ask the question what does a 2008 donation have to do with James Wiseman? He was 8 years old at the time. I think this helps you see what direction they plan on going. After the ncaa's "strict liability" ruling against Memphis back in 2008 - a NCAA standard not used buy them before or since, I don't think Memphis is going to roll over on this one.

It wasn't 2008. It was 2018. Woj made a typo as has been explained many times.

The ncaa stinks but this is an open and shut blatant violation. It's not even debatable.

Reaction Score
Question, why isn't the NCAA going after Alex Lomax? Penny provided a shelter, food, and a home to Alex when he had none. Those are certainly benefits no? Lomax then came and play for Penny. Just curious, why isn't the NCAA also going after Lomax?

You tell us?

Reaction Score
You're duck***.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The fun part is going to be watching Memphis contort itself to say that this was a totally unrelated/private transaction between Hardaway and the Wiseman family and not related to securing his commitment to Memphis.

Trust in Les Ballin.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Also as the Daily Memphian, a Memphis paper, has pointed out Penny, who is a millionaire 80 or 90 times over, has financially helped hundreds maybe thousands of Memphians over the years. Under the existing NCAA rule all of those who received help and their families are now ineligible to play at Memphis. There seems to be something slightly wacky about that:)
The term Memphibians only makes it more slimy

intlzncster

Reaction Score
So Jay Bilas on Sportscenter talked about the potential consequences of Memphis playing Wiseman last night. He said there is a bylaw that states that Memphis can be ruled ineligible for the postseason if it is found to have played an ineligible player. He thinks the NCAA may go to federal court next week and that is pretty shocking that Memphis played him last night, even with the court order.

You don't usually see a school take the risk by playing a kid. Just look to UConn's examples (eg Boatright sitting until eligibility is worked out). They were basically giving a big fyou to the NCAA.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Source? I never heard that about Taurasi. I don’t even think they are from the same country.

He was born in Italy, but raised in Argentina. Spoke Spanish, not Italian. Geno's dad spoke Italian, and not English.

It's so far off, I can't even imagine this is an internet rumor.

Reaction Score
You don't usually see a school take the risk by playing a kid. Just look to UConn's examples (eg Boatright sitting until eligibility is worked out). They were basically giving the finger to the NCAA.

But, UConn did not try and sue the current head of the NCAA for gross misconduct, which was true, and then have to win a national title after being slapped for rules violations twice. That's why UConn got hit with a post-season ban while Memphis will lose 1 scholarship for the season.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I doubt Wiseman's lawyers will be arguing their case within the framework of the NCAA rules. I would think they would argue that the rules, as applied to their client, are unjust. And in addition, that the rules, as they are applied generally, are applied unequally. I know personally I've seen too many Blue Bloods both in football and basketball get away with stuff that a program like G5 Memphis would hang for. Sporting News has an article about the "strict liability" ruling and the fact that Memphis fans have no taste for a repeat. Decourcy caught the mood. There's a lot of support for the Memphis position in the city right now. So no matter the outcome there's a general feeling that were fighting the good fight :)

Yeah, but a court can't decide what's just or unjust about NCAA rules. The presidents of the schools that make up the NCAA are responsible for that.

The NCAA's rules are what they are. You break them, you lose. Unless you are Duke et al. No argument from me that the rules are usually crap or that the NCAA is usually unfair. We've landed our share of BS rulings in the past.

Reaction Score

The NCAA has very clear exceptions for pre-existing or necessary relationships. High school coaches and non-family guardians/long-standing friends/teammates families, etc. are allowed to provide common and reasonable living expenses including housing, food, etc. to athletes while retaining the athletes eligibility.

For Wiseman, paying his family to move across the country to join a team for basketball reasons is not a necessary living expense. As to your question about all the kids Penny has provided support for: as long as Penny dd not provide support to them for reasons because they were an athlete, it's fine. Also would be fine if it falls under the Lomax situation above. It's only wrong by NCAA rules if it's because of potential prospect reasons.

As to Wiseman not knowing, the NCAA does not care. They are a private institution and there are plenty of alternatives for Wiseman to play basketball and get scout exposure. Wiseman signed up knowing the NCAA rules forbid boosters to pay families (even without prospect knowledge). He agreed to allow the NCAA to check if he had followed their rules to be eligible and deal with the consequences if he was not.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but a court can't decide what's just or unjust about NCAA rules.The presidents of the schools that make up the NCAA are responsible for that

This can’t be stressed enough... if the universities don’t like the rules - they are the ones that can enact the change.

>>NCAA Board of Governors - The Board of Governors is the highest governance body in the NCAA and is composed of institutional chief executive officers that oversee Association-wide issues. The board is charged with ensuring that each division operates consistently with the basic purposes, fundamental policies and general principles of the Association.<<

Board of Governors roster

It’s cool to pound the NCAA (and Emmert gets paid boodles of money by the University presidents to play the role of piñata) - but the schools are the NCAA.

Reaction Score
Those Memphis futures bets must have caused at least one sleepless night since every ticket makes reference to...

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
It's a gigantic recruiting edge. There's no getting around that.
He’s too popular and too rich. The man has a signature sneaker, a mascot and a popular rap song named after him. He actually was a very good NBA player for a while. Etc , etc , etc.
Something was bound to surface. For the NCAA, finding something on Penny was a lay up.

Reaction Score
For those who are interested *only* (Yes I've seen the name calling directed my way) ---- a few of the points Wisemans lawyers are making --- at least at this stage (link)

https://247sports.com/college/memphis/ContentGallery/Breaking-down-James-Wisemans-lawsuit-against-the-NCAA-138266007/ - 138266007_1

They don't have a date in here for when the NCAA sent the "we screwed up but he can play anyways" correspondence (I'm not sure if that's the same or a different correspondence to the Oct 31st or May 29th letters, it seems to be different). I'm curious if the NCAA interprets that specific letter differently than Memphis did. The wording could make or break their case. Organizations are allowed to make errors and then correct them, but it would indeed be capricious if they caught their error and then only months later changed their mind on the enforcement.

The indefinitely definition part is pretty bogus. Part of the common definition of indefinite is "unlimited amount of time." Penny should have known he was a booster. He's a member of the "Memphis Athletics Ambassador Club" for goodness sake. So when he recruited him to Memphis, he knew he was recruiting a kid that a booster (himself) had paid improper benefits to.

Their only case is if the NCAA did accidentally clear him and then indeed told Memphis our bad you can keep him, and then tried later to enforce the punishments.

Personally, I'd be surprised if Memphis' position on the 2nd part is as strong as they make it out to be. But who knows, this is the NCAA.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom