James Wiseman ruled ineligible | Page 9 | The Boneyard

James Wiseman ruled ineligible

Reaction Score
Again, you're simplifying something that was about much more than "mens rea" and "objective numbers."

My reference was only meant to differentiate UConn’s situation from what I’ve seen as a terrible batting average for the NCAA. I am a UConn fan that was not pleased about the treatment by the NCAA. We don’t have to get into that whole thing here. At this point the arguments about APR are a non-sequitur to the Wiseman stuff. I probably shouldn’t have brought it up. My comment can alternatively be read as “other than UConn, what other big wins has the NCAA had?”

Baylor? UNC? Arizona? Kansas? Louisville? All were supposedly caught red handed. I kept reading that “this time will be different. They won’t get the death penalty, but it will be as close as anyone has come since SMU.” I guess the NCAA has kept some potential stars from playing, but I think we’ll see Wiseman playing for a bulk of the year.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Seeing that this is the NCAA,and there history I , wouldn't be surprised if the NCAA comes to the final decision that UConn loses a scholarship.
This brings to mind the question "Does this joke ever get old?"

The answer apparently is "yes."

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Baylor? UNC? Arizona? Kansas? Louisville? All were supposedly caught red handed. I kept reading that “this time will be different. They won’t get the death penalty, but it will be as close as anyone has come since SMU.” I guess the NCAA has kept some potential stars from playing, but I think we’ll see Wiseman playing for a bulk of the year.

• Louisville abdicated a NC. Had to fire coach. Schollie restrictions. Post season ban.
  • They are well in process with KU. Damning notice of allegations.
  • They haven't ruled on Zona yet.
  • UNC got off on a bullsh1t technicality. That one sucked.
They are trying to get Memphis before they win a NC. And since Memphis isn't a premium program/market, they'll go as hard as they can.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I just don't get some people in this thread. Why would you root against the NCAA here? They are trying to stop cheating. Penny knew he was going to be the coach of Memphis and knew exactly what he was doing.
I'm rooting for the NCAA to hammer Penny, James & Memphis (State). I'm also rooting for Memphis to make this very ugly for the NCAA and expose them for the frauds that they are. I want it to go down like a salacious divorce trial. I promise this is all I want for Christmas this year.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If we had challenged on the APR thing, I'd have like our chances. That was anything but cut and dried, but I've posted about all that was flawed with it a lot. I won't bother here.
[/QUOTE]

We did appeal if I recall, and lost. The other schools that appealed all won. It was a hit job on Calhoun.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't believe this would be an issue at all if he had decided to go to say UConn. Nobody who provided moving expenses to his mother is a booster for UConn. It could still be a problem for Penny, since he provided benefits as a Booster to a recruited athlete.

We did appeal if I recall, and lost. The other schools that appealed all won. It was a hit job on Calhoun.
We had an administrative appeal with the NCAA. I actually think that we should have litigated. The retroactive application, double jeopardy and disregard of current scores would have been problematic for the NCAA.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
I'm rooting for the NCAA to hammer Penny, James & Memphis (State). I'm also rooting for Memphis to make this very ugly for the NCAA and expose them for the frauds that they are. I want it to go down like a salacious divorce trial. I promise this is all I want for Christmas this year.
Hilarious post.

Reaction Score
Apparently Penny was able to practice for the full Memphis experience.. looks like the state title for the school he coached is getting vacated due to the whole Wiseman thing:

Mike9904111

99-04-11-14-23-24
Reaction Score
Apparently Penny was able to practice for the full Memphis experience.. looks like the state title for the school he coached is getting vacated due to the whole Wiseman thing:

I'm wondering if this is intentional. (Like the whole city to include their politicians and judges seem to be making this easier for them currently). A congressman/and some from the House of Representatives are also apparently starting an investigation into the NCAA as well

I forget the rule, (I will look it up later). If a coach helps a player with moving costs then there is no penalty. This establishes Penny as a coach to Wiseman (AAU) prior to paying for moving costs. So the established relationship will nullify any impermissible benefits argument. If anything it would be an issue in HS, and since he played and the TSSAA was in court with this after they won, East will more than likely be losing their State Title. Memphis is fighting back and it seems to include everyone in Memphis.

This is also from Richard G. Johnson. (From the Memphis board)

Attorney Richard Gibbs Johnson, founder of the law firm of Richard G. Johnson Co., L.P.A. in 1990, is a leading practitioner in the area of plaintiffs' legal malpractice and related legal ethics and professional responsibility issues.

Practice Areas:

Legal Malpractice
College Athlete Right to Counsel Cases
Disqualification
Fee Disputes
Judicial Ethics & Conduct
Legal Ethics & Professional Responsibility
Sanctions
Sports Agent Malpractice
UCC Articles 3 & 4 (fiduciary forged check issues)

1/ James Wiseman is eligible to play, Coach Penny Hardaway is not a booster, and University of Memphis President M. David Rudd and Athletic Director Laird Veatch are taking an unusual stance--they're doing the right thing for James, Penny, and the school!

2/ Under the NCAA Constitution, only President Rudd can determine whether James is eligible—not the NCAA, which tries to bully and intimidate its members to do what it says, but President Rudd has told them to pound salt. So James IS eligible unless and until he says he's not.

3/ James is not alleged to have done anything wrong. James' mother is alleged to have accepted financial help to move her family from James' high school coach, who was Penny Hardaway. That is not illegal, immoral, or wrong. Instead, it was a charitable act by Penny.

4/ Penny was not a booster, which is defined in part as a person who has "made financial contributions to the athletics department or to an athletics booster organization of that institution," because he gave to neither. He was also not listed as a booster by the University.

5/ In 2008, Penny gave a tax-deductible million dollar donation to the University of Memphis, a charitable non-profit 501©(3), for a sports hall of fame, of which he would be in first as a star Tigers BB player and then as a star NBA player. It was a very good deed by Penny.

6/ Even if he had been labeled a booster, under NCAA bylaws, that designation is either "presumed" or "indefinite," as there are two competing definitions, neither of which has defined thresholds or parameters. So a $1 contribution is the same as a $1MM one.

7/ Also, since no one stays in any man-made category forever, which factors are to be considered in determining when a booster status expires is unstated? Without a threshold and duration, there is no enforceable definition, which is construed against the NCAA by a court.

8/ Boosters can only violate NCAA bylaw chapters 13 on recruiting and 16 on benefits for enrolled athletes. Penny was a high school coach, when he gave a high school player's mother money to help with moving costs, so even if he was a booster, neither of these would apply.

9/ James is black and a projected first-round draft pick. Penny is black and has had a great career, plus we need more black college BB coaches. Why is the NCAA attacking James' mother and his coach, when one needed financial help, and the other was kind enough to give it? Why?

10/ Both James, Penny, and the University have actionable claims against the NCAA for breach of contract and tortious interference with contract. James' mother has a claim for invasion of privacy. Any claims will be tried in state court in Memphis. The NCAA would get hammered.

11/ The NCAA is evil personified at the pettiest level. They have attacked a fine young man, his mother, and a splendid coach, who have done nothing in the least bit wrong. President Rudd and AD Veatch should be applauded and thanked for recognizing the equities here. Courage!

Also, according to Dan Wolken, the investigation was conducted on 17 May and closed with an eligible verdict on 29 May. Kentucky's Athletic director joined the NCAA in June or July. They looked into Wiseman further and determined he wasn't supposed to be cleared, but then stated that they would honor their eligible verdict.

Then they come with this. It looks like he is being targeted. I am starting to agree with Memphis fans here. It looks like Cal/Kentucky is behind this. Paring this info with what was stated by those "Kentucky Insiders" about Penny betraying Cal and this is all starting to add up.

This is getting more and more interesting as it goes.

I hope Cal and Kentucky get found out here. They receive some extremely harsh punishments for corruption or something by using that power gained by joining the NCAA board to target a student-athlete. Then the NCAA could be brought up on charges as well.

This is turning out beautifully.

Reaction Score
NCAA has no balls.

Memphis has been in contact with the NCAA and is moving toward a resolution that could soon end the controversy surrounding 5-star freshman James Wiseman and his eligibility, CBS Sports has learned. While no decision is imminent at this time, the NCAA, Memphis and Wiseman's family realize it's in everybody's best interests to reach an agreement rather than continue a high-profile and contentious legal battle that's risky, on some level, for each party.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
NCAA has no balls.

Memphis has been in contact with the NCAA and is moving toward a resolution that could soon end the controversy surrounding 5-star freshman James Wiseman and his eligibility, CBS Sports has learned. While no decision is imminent at this time, the NCAA, Memphis and Wiseman's family realize it's in everybody's best interests to reach an agreement rather than continue a high-profile and contentious legal battle that's risky, on some level, for each party.

They'll cave and give him a partial year suspension. NCAA so worried about the big picture right now I can't even

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Something must have happened to cause the turnaround. Wonder what it was.

Likely they came to an agreement. I bet he plays this year.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
They're going to give him an ~8 game ineligibility + repayment and let him play in the 2nd half of the year and NCAA tournament most likely.

Yep.

Reaction Score
Something must have happened to cause the turnaround. Wonder what it was.
According to Jay Bilas, NCAA said they can’t reach agreement if lawsuit is still in place, so he withdrew it, but apparently he can refile it later.

Also saw he applied for reinstatement, so I’m guessing deal is coming

Reaction Score
I'm sure this has been touched on 100 times in this feed but this is so unfortunate. If I remember correctly without Wiseman PA was essentially a UConn commit? DAMN

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom