James Wiseman ruled ineligible | Page 10 | The Boneyard

James Wiseman ruled ineligible

Reaction Score
I'm sure this has been touched on 100 times in this feed but this is so unfortunate. If I remember correctly without Wiseman PA was essentially a UConn commit? DAMN
I don’t think that’s the case

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'm sure this has been touched on 100 times in this feed but this is so unfortunate. If I remember correctly without Wiseman PA was essentially a UConn commit? DAMN

Nah that was all smoke. Precious wasn't coming here

Reaction Score

>>James Wiseman, a freshman on the University of Memphis men’s basketball team, must sit 11 additional games (12 total) based on recruiting inducements his family received before he enrolled at Memphis and for competing in three games while ineligible. He will be eligible to compete in Memphis’ Jan. 12 contest at South Florida. He also must donate $11,500 to a charity of his choice.

The decision is based on guidelines created and approved by NCAA members.<<

Reaction Score
Isn't making him donate money an admission to guilt? How could you make an unpaid kid pay 10k out of pocket lol
Seriously, especially when the NCAA will think of any way possible to keep him from making money.

Reaction Score
Does he HAVE $11,500????
Larrier and Adams came up with the money to reimburse ( the NCAA) for their trip to Ga two years earlier and were reinstated prior to the 2018 AAC tourney.

I’m not actually sure paying the NCAA sounds like a bribe.

Reaction Score

>>The NCAA’s response was actually somewhat insightful, even by their covert standards. The NCAA’s eligibility and enforcement arms are branded as the bad cops, but they pride themselves on cooperating with schools to give them the best information whether or not to play players for varying issues. The NCAA made it clear that they warned Memphis by saying in a statement: “The University of Memphis was notified that James Wiseman is likely ineligible. The university chose to play him, and ultimately is responsible for ensuring its student-athletes are eligible to play.”

What would the repercussions be? Check out the potential penalties below, and it’s curious that Memphis would take a risk to play Wiseman against lowly UIC for penalties that range from forfeited games to potentially having to sit out the postseason. The tough question for Rudd here is why you’d risk the postseason for the rest of your current players if Wiseman is, indeed, deemed ineligible.

“If you play a kid under a temporary injunction, and it’s later found to not be permanent, these are the risks you run institutionally,” Brown said.

de234ab0-029c-11ea-abf9-d11edfb96a3e

I think the NCAA needs to revisit HOW they enforce their policies and what their policies are. Many are antiquated and don’t reflect many of the realities of the lives of a student athlete (they provide unpaid labor for schools and deserve to be paid and many scrape to subsist while in dirty programs, kids are living well and it’s obvious rules are being broken).

That said, by playing Wiseman, Memphis didn’t just show solidarity with Wiseman and protect his big year and chances at the NBA next year; they hurt everyone else on that team.
Everyone else on that team risks having their records invalidated, risks having no post-season play/experience, etc.
The team doesn’t revolve around Wiseman. I think that’s the part that is BS.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Who thinks that Memphis will receive any material additional sanctions?

[crickets]

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom