COMMITTED
07/24/2017
James Akinjo
Video | Scouts Report

PG Richmond, CA
Salesian High School 6'0'' 170 81

CONNECTICUT
SIGNED

The ranking Akinjo has on espn is 97 - coincidentally one rank lower than the Princeton recruit. I guess I could have said "ranked forty spots lower than a BC recruit" but really I was just going off of the first logo I saw in proximity. Like I said at the beginning of my last post that you cherry picked the Princeton comment from, I like Akinjo and I think he's underrated, but let's not make him out to be some can't miss prospect worthy of keeping a floundering coach around. On to your next specious argument I guess.....

I never debated the factuality of your statement. But you’ve made it clear that you want to frame said facts to make Akinjo as undesirable as possible.

Reaction Score
I never debated the factuality of your statement. But you’ve made it clear that you want to frame said facts to make Akinjo as undesirable as possible.

He's ranked higher on ESPN than he is on rivals (112) and 247 (106), so my choosing ESPN actually paints him in a good light. Again, I'm not arguing that he's not a good player and that I'd love to see him running the point for us next year. But to act like we have to entertain the idea of keeping KO around so we don't lose a recruiting class of this caliber is laughable. The princeton recruit mention was a fact I thought warranted mention as, a few years ago, it would be almost unfathomable that an ivy league school was pulling in kids ranked higher than anyone in UConn's class.

Reaction Score
I guess the question is if KO goes then these recruits will definitely go elsewhere? That leaves us in purgatory until we can climb our way back but aren't we there already? We are 300+ ranked in 3 point shooting and assists and we are constantly getting blown out. So without those recruits we will be worse next year?

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
He's ranked higher on ESPN than he is on rivals (112) and 247 (106), so my choosing ESPN actually paints him in a good light. Again, I'm not arguing that he's not a good player and that I'd love to see him running the point for us next year. But to act like we have to entertain the idea of keeping KO around so we don't lose a recruiting class of this caliber is laughable. The princeton recruit mention was a fact I thought warranted mention as, a few years ago, it would be almost unfathomable that an ivy league school was pulling in kids ranked higher than anyone in UConn's class.

Didn’t Princeton just beat out ALABAMA football for a qb recruit?

Reaction Score
Princeton will pull in a kid who wants to be a doctor over Uconn every day. Akinjo was offered scholarships by Virginia, Indiana, Colorado, California, among many others. Rivals rankings are one guide....look at Polley who was rated over Carlton for example...the guy is going to be a very good PG at this level.

Reaction Score
For me, the sad part of this is that a couple of quotes from 17/18 year olds who aren't even part of the team have given the fan base a more positive outlook than the coach or AD

Reaction Score
Facey was listed as 66 by Rivals....Really??? Let us not get overly excited by rankings.

Reaction Score
I agree he brings other liabilities that at the moment offset his shooting prowess, but if he somehow through coaching or just personal willingness to be better on defense, you could have a poor man's Giffey: someone to spread the floor with the threat of a shooter (which this team has none outside him at the moment).

He is shooting 39% from 3 on the year. The next closest who shoots enough 3s to be worth mentioning is Vital at 32%. UConn needs him unless Vital/Adams miraculously start shooting close to 40% than 30% from 3. His defense is frustrating as are the turnovers, but in the right offense (or more talented team) you don't ask him to create on ball, rather off ball and benefit from efficient shooting without the turnover liability.

UConn will have losing records in back to back seasons. We don't have the luxury of just wishing away talented players in hopes new ones will be as good or better than those currently in the fold instead trying to make both the new and old work would be the best option (if presented).
I like your post but I think he wouldn't play that role willingly. The only positive about him is he can spot up and make open shots. One rotten apple will spoil the others.

pj

Reaction Score
Didn’t Princeton just beat out ALABAMA football for a qb recruit?

Yeah, and who would want to be the basketball equivalent of Alabama football?

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I hope we keep these two Blaze certified recruits.
I think people are making a mistake if they don’t understand how Blaze changed everything and regardless of what happens at the end of the season, we don’t throw the baby out with the bath water.
That means Ollie has to stay correct? If Ollie goes so do Chill and Kill or am I mistaken on that?

Reaction Score
Exactly. Look at who these guys have offers from to see how good they really are.

1. rankings are no the be all, end all, but it's tough to deny that players that are more highly ranked tend to pan out at a better rate than those who aren't
2. Has KO shown that he has a good eye for talent?
3. Has KO shown that he can develop unheralded talent?

Reaction Score

He's 95 on the 247 composite.

Princeton by the way just beat Alabama for a top QB recruit.

The Friars grabbed Gerard Coleman 40+ spots before Shabazz and Jeremy Lamb.

Or Iona grabbing a guy 7 spots before Boatright.

Last edited:

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I went back 4 years on espn rankings and the top 30 mostly turn out to be good college players. After 30 it's much more of a crap shoot. I'm in the camp that says we don't have keep KO because these two recruits are too valuable to lose. His recruiting might be part of the reason to fire him. Lastly, I see so many lineups for next year that have Gilbert starting. I would write that in pencil. I hope for the best but we need to prepare for alternatives.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
That means Ollie has to stay correct? If Ollie goes so do Chill and Kill or am I mistaken on that?

Ollie goes, everybody goes.

Reaction Score
I went back 4 years on espn rankings and the top 30 mostly turn out to be good college players. After 30 it's much more of a crap shoot. I'm in the camp that says we don't have keep KO because these two recruits are too valuable to lose. His recruiting might be part of the reason to fire him. Lastly, I see so many lineups for next year that have Gilbert starting. I would write that in pencil. I hope for the best but we need to prepare for alternatives.

Coincidentally, most of the top projection metrics use top 30 freshman as the cutoff for freshman year production relevance.

Reaction Score
Matthews judging by the article seems committed to UCONN and not strictly to Kevin Ollie which is good because I like Matthews game.

Akinjo is more 50/50 but can be persuaded by a good incoming hire to stay.

Whatever their decision, these guys are not can't miss prospects that are worth keeping Ollie around for.

PS: One of the main requirements for our next head coach will be ability to bring in good players right away and recruit well.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
We do NOT want Larrier back. He's not a winning player, turnover machine, awful decision making. Sid Wilson will be twice the player Larrier will ever be.
Even if I agreed with some or all of what you've written, I'd tell you that "We..." does not apply. You are unremittingly awful, and the board would be better off if you never posted again.

PS - My second sentence is just mimicking the mock authority & bad energy of your posts.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

Matthews judging by the article seems committed to UCONN and not strictly to Kevin Ollie which is good because I like Matthews game.

Akinjo is more 50/50 but can be persuaded by a good incoming hire to stay.

Whatever their decision, these guys are not can't miss prospects that are worth keeping Ollie around for.

PS: One of the main requirements for our next head coach will be ability to bring in good players right away and recruit well.

They wouldn’t have pass the Blaze criteria unless they are really good. Chief can assure you of that.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
1. rankings are no the be all, end all, but it's tough to deny that players that are more highly ranked tend to pan out at a better rate than those who aren't
2. Has KO shown that he has a good eye for talent?
3. Has KO shown that he can develop unheralded talent?
I just read 4 posts by you and didn't get much out of any of them. It's not really a knock on you, so much as wondering what's the point of framing things the way you did on a post about two recruits having good senior years.

If you'd like James Akinjo to come here and think he'd be good, let us (and him) know. The rest of what you say misrepresents & exaggerates & ignores context. It's like you're going out of your way to complain about something that isn't being said, when you'd be happy with what is still possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom