James Akinjo and Emmitt Mathews | Page 2 | The Boneyard

James Akinjo and Emmitt Mathews

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Oh.

We talked about the investigation,” said Alwert. “We’ve been told that nothing’s gonna happen on that. (Matthews) is a kid that’s faithful and loyal to the decision he makes.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Oh.

We talked about the investigation,” said Alwert. “We’ve been told that nothing’s gonna happen on that. (Matthews) is a kid that’s faithful and loyal to the decision he makes.

Did the same people who thought Diallo/Moretti etc. were done deals tell them that?

Something something bridge in Brooklyn.

Reaction Score
I like that he said "clean start". Because in order to reset the culture KO has to go. Sounds like he's cool with that.

Promising
Someone didn't read the article... final line says:
“When we come in next year,” James Akinjo added, “you won’t be hearing about Coach Ollie maybe getting fired.”

Really love this kid's attitude and background. But if Ollie is fired he is not coming here, period. He seems incredibly promising, snubbed from being an All-American, up for Gatorade player of the year in California, leading his team to a 21-1 season... which is why I'm thinking fire KO after 2018-2019 if the team continues to underperform.

Reaction Score
A four and a three star recruit are reason to keep KO. With this kind of thinking he is unfireable.

This place really is crazy town.
Super duper John, I want to see you with your Pom poms at the games next season with Ollie at the helm. Should be a special season as long as Adams return and Larrier turn pro.

Reaction Score
Largely considered to be snubbed for the McD's game. You're talking out of your arse.
He was named a contender for the game which is a lot better than the guys we have playing now lol. The kid is just getting better, other schools are noticing and still recruiting him, and he is the leader of his team to a 21-1 season. You obviously have not done your research. If Ollie had a point guard like him this season, we would not be where we are right now. Jalen Adams is not a natural point guard, which is why we suck because UConn has always based its teams on star point guards (as most teams do). We will miss him and another team will have hit the jackpot if Ollie is fired, mark my words.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
A four and a three star recruit are reason to keep KO. With this kind of thinking he is unfireable.

Yeah ratings are so dependable... Kentucky has a bunch of 5 stars and they might not make the dance. Past players of ours such as Bazz, Emeka, Lamb... not highly rated. You are just as crazy as we are but on the opposite spectrum. Only difference is you are most likely wrong.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
He was named a contender for the game which is a lot better than the guys we have playing now lol. The kid is just getting better, other schools are noticing and still recruiting him, and he is the leader of his team to a 21-1 season. You obviously have not done your research. If Ollie had a point guard like him this season, we would not be where we are right now. Jalen Adams is not a natural point guard, which is why we suck because UConn has always based its teams on star point guards (as most teams do). We will miss him and another team will have hit the jackpot if Ollie is fired, mark my words.

Jalen Adams is a fine point guard. The problem is that he pretty much has to play by himself.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
No quotes from Vance Sr? Borges has his head in the sand

Reaction Score
Love their mindset, the attitude. Akinjo has me psyched. Just realizing it’s very likely KO is back next year. Don’t think the AD wants to roil these recruits. Mixed feelings. We need players who can shoot and are willing to fight it out on the court. Finally, I have the feeling Jalen is coming back.

Reaction Score
Jalen Adams is a fine point guard. The problem is that he pretty much has to play by himself.
While he is the only one who knows what he is doing he is not a natural great point guard like Shabazz or Kemba, he doesn't keep the ball close and tight when he dribbles resulting in turn overs. He just doesn't have that grace and precision focus, not sure if he'll ever get it.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Kevin Ollie is currently a bad basketball coach and has been one since he took over as hc. Yes he use to coach with more “passion” on the side line but that doesn’t mean he was coaching well. Recruiting now is about the coach more than the school. We’ll see what happens over the summer.

Reaction Score
Three big ifs

If JA comes back
If AG comes back healthy
If teh current young bigs IMPROVE from year to year

Then you bring in this young hungry recruiting class and it could be fun to watch.....but you need all 3 of those IF's to hit jackpot.

Terrific Article! Glad these guys are 10 toes in. One of em better be able to shoot the ball. Defenses have the option of cheating off of every man on the floor except for Jalen and Larrier.

I think these bigs have a long way to go before they can do much for the team. Carlton looks better, but he is not going to anchor a team down low next year.

AG/JA and all of our bigs aren't going to do much for us from an improvement standpoint. None of the other guys can shoot .... and especially from deep. We need to have a reliable 3 point option that is not a volume shooter. Akinjo may be able to make some shots and I hope he can find that role. If we don't have a 3 point shooter then the defenders have to guard half of the floor area. I hope someone can do it, but with out a Rashad/Giffey type of player at a minimum you just can't balance the floors for a bunch of guards that rely on slashing to the hole.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
It seems like both guys were underrated and 10 ties in. But until we know ollie’s Future we won’t know for sure.

But man, these are the kinds of guys that can jump start a major retooling. That get you back in the right direction

Reaction Score
If Jalen comes back, UCONN will def be more talented next year. But that's starting from a very low floor.

There's a minimum 4 incoming guys who'll get immediate minutes, counting Gilbert.
We will actually have an infusion of talent and fresh blood. The difference in these incoming players is that they have an appetite to win and are hungry. Gilbert and Sid Wilson should also be hungry after sitting out. Should Gilbert shoulder heal 100% without any setback, watch out. That man has a GORILLA on his back. Ollie should be back to shepherd the flock and with this group we will win 23-25 games.

Reaction Score
We will actually have an infusion of talent and fresh blood. The difference in these incoming players is that they have an appetite to win and are hungry. Gilbert and Sid Wilson should also be hungry after sitting out. Should Gilbert shoulder heal 100% without any setback, watch out. That man has a GORILLA on his back. Ollie should be back to shepherd the flock and with this group we will win 23-25 games.

People said the same thing about this years class. I would say the only players that consistently play with "hunger" are Vital and Whaley. Everyone else is either soft or hasn't been given a chance. Jalen I'm 5050 on. We have no idea how much heart the recruits have, because unlike the coaches we haven't seen them in practices, games when they're down in the 4th, or spoken to AAU guys, or even just watched them play more than in highlights. I wouldn't get carried away.

It's pretty easy to say "these guys have heart" when you're winning. We aren't.

Reaction Score

It's more the buyout is untenable, so might as well get these kids in here and give it one last shot. We also give Alterique one last shot at getting healthy and we move on from the Terry/Jalen Alpha battle royal rumble they have had.

Reaction Score
Out of everything in that article, this stood out the most to me...

“He loved it over there,” Alwert said. “The whole family did. “I know the big seller at UConn was Coach Calhoun, when they brought him in, talking to the family.”

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
It's more the buyout is untenable, so might as well get these kids in here and give it one last shot. We also give Alterique one last shot at getting healthy and we move on from the Terry/Jalen Alpha battle royal rumble they have had.

Jalen really needs to stay. He's not on any mock drafts.

Reaction Score
People said the same thing about this years class. I would say the only players that consistently play with "hunger" are Vital and Whaley. Everyone else is either soft or hasn't been given a chance. Jalen I'm 5050 on. We have no idea how much heart the recruits have, because unlike the coaches we haven't seen them in practices, games when they're down in the 4th, or spoken to AAU guys, or even just watched them play more than in highlights. I wouldn't get carried away.

It's pretty easy to say "these guys have heart" when you're winning. We aren't.
Let's be realistic, the roster we had coming back this season after the transfers and injuries was atrocious. I am sure everyone was hoping for success. At one point we weren't even sure if we would have enough players to play 5 on 5 at practice. If Adams, Polley, Whaley, Carlton, Vital, Gilbert, Diarra, Wilson and everyone in the incoming class stay committed I believe we will enjoy success next season. The jury is still out on Williams and Cobb and Terry Larrier can turn Pro.
Onuorah, Cobb, Anderson and Williams couldn't have success playing against weaker competition for four year in college what makes anyone think they were going to be better at UCONN.

Reaction Score
Jalen really needs to stay. He's not on any mock drafts.
Of the two, I hope he comes back. But I've never felt he and Terry could co exist. I feel Jalen has tried harder. Terry just jacks up shots every chance he gets it feels like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom