James Akinjo and Emmitt Mathews | Page 4 | The Boneyard

James Akinjo and Emmitt Mathews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
As usual, a lot of really specious arguments by the people criticizing recruiting.

"One spot below a Princeton recruit" is a pretty weird way to describe someone with the ranking and acclaim Akinjo possesses.

Reaction Score
McDonalds all Americans are mostly based on the rankings. Can’t say a kid got snubbed when he’s ranked 110.

C

Chief00

He's 6'7" and I don't believe known as a shooter (for perspective, Larrier is listed at 6'8"). Rivals mentioned him a wing replacement for Larrier, the Hartford Courant referred to him as a Forward, SNY refers to him as a wing. He'd be pretty big for a 2, from the video I have seen does not have the handle of a guard. I always figured he could become a mismatch problem for opponents like D. Daniels was at 6'9" moving back and forth between the 3 & 4 spots.

Sid’s real height is 6-4 or 6-5 and he will be the skinniest guy on the team. He may be a wing in the slashing sense but definitely not a 4.
It remains to be seen if Whaley can hold up in the post from simply being overpowered. Diarra is maybe 6-6 or 6-7 and he gets exposed against a bigger, taller guy in the post. Cobb has some post potential given his girth but who knows if he will ever put things together? The odds are against it. Williams is a battler but short for post defense but he is good on the horizontal rebound position game for someone with a 44 inch vertical.

Reaction Score
Sid’s real height is 6-4 or 6-5 and he will be the skinniest guy on the team. He may be a wing in the slashing sense but definitely not a 4.
It remains to be seen if Whaley can hold up in the post from simply being overpowered. Diarra is maybe 6-6 or 6-7 and he gets exposed against a bigger, taller guy in the post. Cobb has some post potential given his girth but who knows if he will ever put things together? The odds are against it. Williams is a battler but short for post defense but he is good on the horizontal rebound position game for someone with a 44 inch vertical.

I was surprised by that with Williams too. He's an old-school box out, horizontal rebounder, despite the fact that he can jump out of the gym.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I was surprised by that with Williams too. He's an old-school box out, horizontal rebounder, despite the fact that he can jump out of the gym.

That's how the good ones actually get rebounds.

I hate this stand there and try to out jump everyone BS.

Get a body on a guy and subtly clear him out.

C

Chief00

As Coach would say - Paul Silas.

Yes, I admit Chief hammered him pretty good for all those dunk video’s and being a First Night type player - when they play against girls to some extent.
But yeah he has some old school stuff in him and he is tough. Would back a teammate up in a fight at a drop of a dime.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
He's 6'7" and I don't believe known as a shooter (for perspective, Larrier is listed at 6'8"). Rivals mentioned him a wing replacement for Larrier, the Hartford Courant referred to him as a Forward, SNY refers to him as a wing. He'd be pretty big for a 2, from the video I have seen does not have the handle of a guard. I always figured he could become a mismatch problem for opponents like D. Daniels was at 6'9" moving back and forth between the 3 & 4 spots.

At Brewster, Sid played a lot of stretch 4. He was featured a lot out of the short corner when other teams played zone.

Reaction Score
My guess is if Kwintin got the minutes this year he would have been our leading rebounder.

Reaction Score
As usual, a lot of really specious arguments by the people criticizing recruiting.

"One spot below a Princeton recruit" is a pretty weird way to describe someone with the ranking and acclaim Akinjo possesses.
Jaelin Llewellyn
Video | Scouts Report

PG Lynchburg, VA
Virginia Episcopal School 6'2'' 160 81

PRINCETON
COMMITTED
07/24/2017
James Akinjo
Video | Scouts Report

PG Richmond, CA
Salesian High School 6'0'' 170 81

CONNECTICUT
SIGNED

The ranking Akinjo has on espn is 97 - coincidentally one rank lower than the Princeton recruit. I guess I could have said "ranked forty spots lower than a BC recruit" but really I was just going off of the first logo I saw in proximity. Like I said at the beginning of my last post that you cherry picked the Princeton comment from, I like Akinjo and I think he's underrated, but let's not make him out to be some can't miss prospect worthy of keeping a floundering coach around. On to your next specious argument I guess.....

Reaction Score
Might have confusing the way I worded that last point. I meant limit players transferring out of the program, not transferring in.

If you tell me this is the following roster next year, then maybe Ollie can make some noise next year...maybe:

Starting: Adams, Gilbert, Larrier, Wilson, Carlton

Akinjo/Vital first off bench for the guards
Polley/Matthews Jr. in for the wings
Diarra/Whaley/Kisunas for the bigs

I guess KW & Cobb would be the odd guys out if Adams/Larrier didn't leave early...

We do NOT want Larrier back. He's not a winning player, turnover machine, awful decision making. Sid Wilson will be twice the player Larrier will ever be.

C

Chief00

Jaelin Llewellyn
Video | Scouts Report

PG Lynchburg, VA

PRINCETON
COMMITTED
07/24/2017
James Akinjo
Video | Scouts Report

PG Richmond, CA

CONNECTICUT
SIGNED

The ranking Akinjo has on espn is 97 - coincidentally one rank lower than the Princeton recruit. I guess I could have said "ranked forty spots lower than a BC recruit" but really I was just going off of the first logo I saw in proximity. Like I said at the beginning of my last post that you cherry picked the Princeton comment from, I like Akinjo and I think he's underrated, but let's not make him out to be some can't miss prospect worthy of keeping a floundering coach around. On to your next specious argument I guess.....

Using the Blaze profile - he is our guy.

Reaction Score
We do NOT want Larrier back. He's not a winning player, turnover machine, awful decision making. Sid Wilson will be twice the player Larrier will ever be.

He's by far the best shooter on this year's roster and in the roster previously cited for next year, would be again and that's with poor offensive strategy at the moemnt.

He is a great spot of up shooter who is automatic when in rhythm. He and the coach need to get on the same page so that he stops trying to force the issue and does more work off ball to get open since his weakness is ballhandling when trying to separate with the ball in hand.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
his weakness is ballhandling when trying to separate with the ball in hand.
That's putting it mildly. He's pretty much automatic for separating himself from the ball in that situation.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
He's by far the best shooter on this year's roster and in the roster previously cited for next year, would be again and that's with poor offensive strategy at the moemnt.

He is a great spot of up shooter who is automatic when in rhythm. He and the coach need to get on the same page so that he stops trying to force the issue and does more work off ball to get open since his weakness is ballhandling when trying to separate with the ball in hand.

He needs to dribble far less than DD did, and DD really shouldn't have been doing much handling at all.

He's a guy you have stand in the corner on offense. And literally just stay there while Adams and Akinjo run pick and rolls with the big guys. Ideally you put Vital on the other side. that's really hard to defend.

Can't guard Jalen or Akinjo (who is going to need a nickname btw) 4 on 1 anymore.

Reaction Score
Jaelin Llewellyn
Video | Scouts Report

PG Lynchburg, VA

PRINCETON
COMMITTED
07/24/2017
James Akinjo
Video | Scouts Report

PG Richmond, CA

CONNECTICUT
SIGNED

Who was Scott Hazleton ranked ahead of?

Reaction Score

The one thing he is good at is spot up shooting. But he doesn't take many spot up shots. They're always contested, fade aways in traffic. I honestly believe we're 100% better of without Larrier next year. He has a bad attitude (said he feels lethargic for the first 10 minutes), plays zero defense (was kicked out of practice for it), can't dribble, can't pass, and has awful shot selection. Give me Sid Wilson all day at the 3 next year.

Reaction Score
The one thing he is good at is spot up shooting. But he doesn't take many spot up shots. They're always contested, fade aways in traffic. I honestly believe we're 100% better of without Larrier next year. He has a bad attitude (said he feels lethargic for the first 10 minutes), plays zero defense (was kicked out of practice for it), can't dribble, can't pass, and has awful shot selection. Give me Sid Wilson all day at the 3 next year.

I agree he brings other liabilities that at the moment offset his shooting prowess, but if he somehow through coaching or just personal willingness to be better on defense, you could have a poor man's Giffey: someone to spread the floor with the threat of a shooter (which this team has none outside him at the moment).

He is shooting 39% from 3 on the year. The next closest who shoots enough 3s to be worth mentioning is Vital at 32%. UConn needs him unless Vital/Adams miraculously start shooting close to 40% than 30% from 3. His defense is frustrating as are the turnovers, but in the right offense (or more talented team) you don't ask him to create on ball, rather off ball and benefit from efficient shooting without the turnover liability.

UConn will have losing records in back to back seasons. We don't have the luxury of just wishing away talented players in hopes new ones will be as good or better than those currently in the fold instead trying to make both the new and old work would be the best option (if presented).

Curiouser
Reaction Score
but if he somehow through coaching or just personal willingness to be better on defense.
His defense is abysmal, and at this point in his career I'd have a hard time believing he is going to flip a switch one day and commit to being better at it.

Reaction Score
Using the Blaze profile - he is our guy.

Chief honestly, no one cares about the Blaze strategy. If the Blaze strategy is to recruit good basketball players who can shoot and play D, please explain why it took KO four years to figure that out? Have KO and Chill shown enough to trust their talent evaluations over those of the recruiting services and, perhaps more damning, those of the other coaches? Please stop waiving away our failures in recruiting by imploring us to recruit a "strategy" that's as opaque as Andre Drummond's travel plans.

Blaze is a cute little moniker. It's a way for KO to save face after going after the blue chip recruits and failing to land any of them to the detriment of us taking lower ranked kids who actually wanted to come here. Again, this isn't to denigrate any of our recruits - I like them all and think they'll be good college players, but a team with this dearth of talent needs more than role players year after year, especially since the last few recruiting classes haven't panned out, to put it mildly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom