James Akinjo and Emmitt Mathews | Page 7 | The Boneyard

James Akinjo and Emmitt Mathews

Status
Not open for further replies.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Intrigued by the thought of putting a three guard lineup on the floor next year consisting of Adams (God willing), Gilbert (God willing) and Akinjo.
If KO is coaching there will be three guards on the floor. That's how he rolls and that's why we rebound like the Little Sisters of Mary.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Yeah, i've just been hearing some nasty rumors lately. I'll PM cause I don't wanna cause any drama on the board for things that aren't verified.
Kinda too late.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I'm sorry. I'm trying to ask vague questions.

My apologies if i'm ed up already.
Thanks for your response.

I admit it's not easy. I don't like to gossip or traffic in rumors, and yet, I don't like to feel left out. So I have assume that's a common phenomenon.

Nonetheless, it's easy in the moment to forget where we are and display more than is likely optimal to those who browse casually or with an eye for dirt. This thread reasonably would attract attention because it purports to be about two high school seniors, who are playing well, have signed to come to UConn, who project enthusiasm, are in contact with each other, and acknowledge some of the less flattering components of the present.

Time & place, and a sense of discretion are as applicable to the fanbase as basketball development is to the freshman who we would increasingly like to see as "No longer freshman." I happen to think this isn't the place for some of the things that have become part of this discussion.

Almost all of the curiosities and frustrations and doubts and worries expressed on this site all have some basis in reality, but that doesn't mean that their expression should be given free reign by those who claim to care about the team, the program, etc.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Can @Purple Stein do a sim, perhaps?

Tough go of it for the Tigers. Keep in mind that this is the same Princeton team that blanked Brown 53-0!

alabama_princeton.png

Reaction Score
We do NOT want Larrier back. He's not a winning player, turnover machine, awful decision making. Sid Wilson will be twice the player Larrier will ever be.
I would like to have TL back. I think his ACL injury has robbed him of his explosiveness and think that he'll get that back in year two after the injury. With more ball handlers on the team next year, he isnt going to be counted on to handle the ball.

What I don't want is allowing TL to leave and get another grad transfer in here because of the lack of depth. I don't want to relive DOs minutes next year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If KO is coaching there will be three guards on the floor. That's how he rolls and that's why we rebound like the Little Sisters of Mary.

Having 3 guards doesn't preclude rebounding. You just need to have tough-minded, physical bigs who can do the job. The problem is that our bigs are either soft (Larrier), plodding unathletic types (Onuorah, Carlton, Cobb), undersized (Diarra), or have limited basketball instincts (Whaley, Williams).

Guards can also be good rebounders in and of themselves.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Having 3 guards doesn't preclude rebounding. You just need to have tough-minded, physical bigs who can do the job. The problem is that our bigs are either soft (Larrier), plodding unathletic types (Onuorah, Carlton, Cobb), undersized (Diarra), or have limited basketball instincts (Whaley, Williams).

Vital can rebound quite well. Having him as a 3 can work.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score

True. In the old Big East, Marquette and Nova had pretty good rebounding 3 guard lineups.

Reaction Score
True. In the old Big East, Marquette and Nova had pretty good rebounding 3 guard lineups.

Always seemed like Marquette's and to some extent Nova's guards were very strong and had some bulk. Uconn's current guards seem like they have never seen let alone lifted a weight.

Reaction Score

Completely agree, especially with the last sentence. Bazz was an incredible rebounder for his size/position/relative athleticism (in college, the guy is a beast now).

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Having 3 guards under 6'2" not only hurts rebounding it hurts the ability to compete around the basket. If you haven't seen opposing teams rebounding over the top of JA, CV and AA you've been watching a different game. This team has so many problems that I guess we should be happy that our guards who shoot 42 38 and 36 pct. can rebound well.

Reaction Score
Love that Akinjo comes from Oakland where I live. Oaktown next season in CT baby!!

Also gotta love that our city has produced some of the most outstanding hard working point guards the NBA has ever seen. I think James will be a stud.

Reaction Score
I would like to have Larrier back. I think his ACL injury has robbed him of his explosiveness and think that he'll get that back in year two after the injury. With more ball handlers on the team next year, he isnt going to be counted on to handle the ball.

What I don't want is allowing Larrier to leave and get another grad transfer in here because of the lack of depth. I don't want to relive DOs minutes next year.

Considering if everyone stays we are one over on scholarships, I think it’s safe to say that there won’t be any grad transfers.

Reaction Score
What are you arguing? Do you honestly think more lower ranked recruits pan out than higher ranked recruits?
Because the point is quite simple. Any of us can use numbers to support the argument. Akinjo, Kisunas, Matthews, and Wilson as well as Polley, Carlton and Whaley had numerous offers from high profile programs. It is a better gauge to see if a player has the goods. Wilson was ranked 71 by Rivals. Had around 30 offers from many many high level programs. Wonder why if he was rated 71? You can say we are not getting Top recruits, we almost never did....got some, most were not. Pick a better argument, like maybe not developing talent.

pj

Reaction Score
We'll likely have enough talent on the roster next year to make entertaining basketball possible. It can't come soon enough.

Reaction Score
Because the point is quite simple. Any of us can use numbers to support the argument. Akinjo, Kisunas, Matthews, and Wilson as well as Polley, Carlton and Whaley had numerous offers from high profile programs. It is a better gauge to see if a player has the goods. Wilson was ranked 71 by Rivals. Had around 30 offers from many many high level programs. Wonder why if he was rated 71? You can say we are not getting Top recruits, we almost never did....got some, most were not. Pick a better argument, like maybe not developing talent.
What do you mean by use numbers to support the argument? Again, I will ask do you think more lower ranked recruits pan out than higher ranked recruits?

These past two classes are weak classes compared to what we've come to expect as UConn fans.

Saying we almost never got top recruits is ridiculous. We didn't get a bunch of top 10 guys but we made a living off of getting top 50 guys.

Reaction Score
What do you mean by use numbers to support the argument? Again, I will ask do you think more lower ranked recruits pan out than higher ranked recruits?

These past two classes are weak classes compared to what we've come to expect as UConn fans.

Saying we almost never got top recruits is ridiculous. We didn't get a bunch of top 10 guys but we made a living off of getting top 50 guys.
Simple math would answer that question. If there are 40 schools going after the "top 50" guys, someone ain't getting many of them. So if 500 players go into programs, most of the guys that pan out are outside the top 50. Cincinnati rarely gets top 50 guys. Most of the players that pan out across the country are in fact outside the top 50. NBA gets players every year who are well outside the top 50.

Reaction Score

Using numbers is saying for example, we got a guy ranked one spot lower than a Princeton commit.

Reaction Score
Simple math would answer that question. If there are 40 schools going after the "top 50" guys, someone ain't getting many of them. So if 500 players go into programs, most of the guys that pan out are outside the top 50. Cincinnati rarely gets top 50 guys. Most of the players that pan out across the country are in fact outside the top 50. NBA gets players every year who are well outside the top 50.
So you think lower ranked players pan out more than higher ranked players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom