Jalen Carey will announce October 11th | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Jalen Carey will announce October 11th

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Most importantly (I think) Lamb will have made 26.5 million by the time he is 27.

Carey is the consensus #49 recruit in the country. Lets give him the benefit of the doubt and compare him to players ranked 40-49 and see how they turned out.

2016 Javin DeLaurier DeRon Davis Nick Ward Cam McGusty Ty Jerome Deriante Jenkins Shamorie Ponds Ike Anigbogu Schnider Herard

2015 Jaquan Lyle Prince Ali Mav Rowan Ray Spalding Elijah Thomas Kerwin Roach Derrick Jones Isaac Humphries Jessie Govan Dejounte Murray

2014 Craig Victor Jordan McLaughlin Leron Black Chris Chiozza Abdul Malik Abu Jaquan Newton Angel Delgado Kaleb Joseph

2013 Tyler Roberson Roddy Peters Nick King Conner Frankamp Derrick Walton Jonathon Williams Xavier Rathan Mayes Moses Kingsley Brandon Austin Christian Wood

2012 Shaq Cleare Cam Biedshied Willie Cauley Stein Omar Calhoun Brice Johnson Adam Woodbury Tyler Lewis Jerami Grant Daniel Ochefu

This should probably provide some perspective on the challenge Carey faces. I didn't feel like typing out 27 more names, but the trend continues from 2011 to 2009 - only Gorgui Deng is in the NBA on a guaranteed contract. The guys in bold are guys that landed in the first round. There are I believe 4 other players who have are on minimum 2nd Round deals - guys like Ochefu, Jones, Grant and Anigbogu, who just got drafted in round 2. You may notice that all these guys are either bigs or freak athletes.

If Carey wants to make the NBA he needs to work unbelievably hard year round and realize that he would be incredibly fortunate to land in the NBA after 4 years, let alone 2.

I could just like this, but I'm not.

Thanks for this.

Absolutely awesome work.

You can win in the NCAA level with these level recruits, but these should be mostly 4 year guys. Then again we're at the point where we have more underclassmen declare than draft spots.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
I'm not worried about what a kid says on some live feed. It's not like he cursed them out. He just said they were "bums" correct? Really, only Thabeet was a huge bust. Lamb is TBD. Okafor was fine, had some health issues. I don't think he was talking about their college accomplishments...just what they did in the league. I mean, if the goal is to be drafted cant do much better than that trio. Two #2 overall picks and a lottery pick.

I don't believe he meant it as a shot to the program. Just something people say. I don't think this rules us out or anything. I'd def still take him in a heartbeat.

Reaction Score
IF the kid called Okafor, Lamb, Thabeet "bums" or similar he is a moron. Okafor was a really solid NBA player until he got injured.....Carey is delusional if he thinks otherwise. Lamb has been up & down but is still in the league for 5 years and counting. Thabeet was great in college but a zero in the pros.

18 year olds say dumb things but I prefer a little humbleness in a kid that is still miles away from the NBA.

Reaction Score
Most importantly (I think) Lamb will have made 26.5 million by the time he is 27.

Carey is the consensus #49 recruit in the country. Lets give him the benefit of the doubt and compare him to players ranked 40-49 and see how they turned out.

2016 Javin DeLaurier DeRon Davis Nick Ward Cam McGusty Ty Jerome Deriante Jenkins Shamorie Ponds Ike Anigbogu Schnider Herard

2015 Jaquan Lyle Prince Ali Mav Rowan Ray Spalding Elijah Thomas Kerwin Roach Derrick Jones Isaac Humphries Jessie Govan Dejounte Murray

2014 Craig Victor Jordan McLaughlin Leron Black Chris Chiozza Abdul Malik Abu Jaquan Newton Angel Delgado Kaleb Joseph

2013 Tyler Roberson Roddy Peters Nick King Conner Frankamp Derrick Walton Jonathon Williams Xavier Rathan Mayes Moses Kingsley Brandon Austin Christian Wood

2012 Shaq Cleare Cam Biedshied Willie Cauley Stein Omar Calhoun Brice Johnson Adam Woodbury Tyler Lewis Jerami Grant Daniel Ochefu

This should probably provide some perspective on the challenge Carey faces. I didn't feel like typing out 27 more names, but the trend continues from 2011 to 2009 - only Gorgui Deng is in the NBA on a guaranteed contract. The guys in bold are guys that landed in the first round. There are I believe 4 other players who have are on minimum 2nd Round deals - guys like Ochefu, Jones, Grant and Anigbogu, who just got drafted in round 2. You may notice that all these guys are either bigs or freak athletes.

If Carey wants to make the NBA he needs to work unbelievably hard year round and realize that he would be incredibly fortunate to land in the NBA after 4 years, let alone 2.
Of course you are right. But most of these top 100 recruits are delusional. Almost all of them think they're going to the NBA. They're young and naive. They don't understand how hard it is to make the NBA.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Thabeet knew he wasn't ready but could not pass up the money. My friends who know him said he wanted to bring his family to America and that money would do it

Kid went #2 in the draft. He UNEQUIVOCALLY made the right decision. His only other option was coming back in the hopes of going Number 1? What's the point of that?

The fact that he was an NBA bust is solely a result of what he did in the League, not because he skipped a final year of college. You develop more in the NBA system, playing against NBA players, with NBA coaching and support, and being able to commit 100% of your time to basketball. Just a fact.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Kid went #2 in the draft. He UNEQUIVOCALLY made the right decision. His only other option was coming back in the hopes of going Number 1? What's the point of that?

The fact that he was an NBA bust is solely a result of what he did in the League, not because he skipped a final year of college. You develop more in the NBA system, playing against NBA players, with NBA coaching and support, and being able to commit 100% of your time to basketball. Just a fact.

All true. And if we are honest, did anything think he should go #2? I wouldn't have picked him in the lottery, no way. Maybe lower 1st round.

Reaction Score
All true. And if we are honest, did anything think he should go #2? I wouldn't have picked him in the lottery, no way. Maybe lower 1st round.
He had a fantastic season and a unique skillset. Deserved to be a top 5 pick for sure, just couldn't translate it to the NBA.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Yeah, but some of that's cause we know him. Objectively, evaluators see a 7'3 center with huge wingspan who's a defensive monster. Somebody who got better every year. Hard for NBA GMs to pass those (very rare) guys up.

He had a fantastic season and a unique skillset. Deserved to be a top 5 pick for sure, just couldn't translate it to the NBA.

I also feel like, but can't prove, that HT could have had a better career in the NBA, but just didn't put enough into developing. Whether is was a lack of motor, motivation, or simply dedication, idk.

pj

Reaction Score
Thabeet could have been a great NBA player, but he didn't want it badly enough or work hard enough for it. He was content to get that first big contract.

Reaction Score
sorry was not trying to get people to argue about whether or not these guys are bums and crap talk an 18 year old. Just passing along what I heard him say. Sucks but hopefully it was just a teenage immature moment.

pj

Reaction Score
sorry was not trying to get people to argue about whether or not these guys are bums and crap talk an 18 year old. Just passing along what I heard him say. Sucks but hopefully it was just a teenage immature moment.

But, he may be repeating what opposing coaches are telling him. This may be a window into negative recruiting against UConn. Of course, if the negative recruiting is, "Their players only made $20 mn each in the NBA, they didn't become all stars and make $200 mn," then you hope the player is smart enough to see the accomplishment there.

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
Even if he believed that UConn doesn't translate to the next level (which is absurd), who on Syracuse other than Melo has done literally anything of value in the league?

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Even if he believed that UConn doesn't translate to the next level (which is absurd), who on Syracuse other than Melo has done literally anything of value in the league?

Dion Waiters is the only recent (unless you want to get really picky and count MCW).

Then you have players like Hakim Warrick, Derrick Coleman, Billy Owens, Sherman Douglas, Rony Seikaly.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Wonder if the staff will make their way down there again ?

Reaction Score
Is this thread from syracusefan.com true?

Looks like the Prov game will be tape delayed

They claim that people in New York City are much more interested in watching the UConn women than the Syracuse men. How can that be when we know double the amount of fans like to watch the UConn men versus the UConn women?

The Syracuse fans are upset that SNY knows the UConn women are much more popular than the Orange men.

Reaction Score
Lol "of value"

How far has Melo gotten in the playoffs over his illustrious career? A single Conference Finals in Denver?

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Lol "of value"

How far has Melo gotten in the playoffs over his illustrious career? A single Conference Finals in Denver?

I hate this stuff. People said the same stuff about KG before Boston.

Being on a terrible franchise can sink a guys chances at a long postseason. Especially when he was out west.

Reaction Score
Considering I think we're out on Carey anyway, I'll laugh my arse off if he goes to Miami over Syracuse. Hasn't Cuse told him he's their plan A, B, and C?

C

Chief00

Thabeet never had the internal discipline or motivation to develop further in the adult World. Money made him complacent.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom