Jalen Carey will announce October 11th | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Jalen Carey will announce October 11th

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
NEXT

Waiting...waiting...waiting....and there it is. He hath spake.

reaper you lose.jpg

Reaction Score
Stats do lie, especially defensive stats. Two of those stats are based on plus/minus. What do you think happens to defensive plus/minus numbers if you are average on defense but your backup who plays against other team's backups is a quite good defender? Makes you look lousy. Also, it's well-documented that opposing 3pt% against is a fluky metric. You can really only bother shooters by being close, whether they make it or not comes down almost entirely to chance and the individual sample sizes are too small. See here. That will affect both the differential number and the plus/minus.

I'm not saying Carmelo is a +defender, I'd definitely agree he is not (especially last year).

The perfect anecdote is the way defensive metrics assessed Kawhi last year, especially in the 1st half of the season. He was valued as the worst defender on the Spurs and a downright bad defensive player. Kawhi is objectively the best wing defender in the NBA and a top 3 defender overall. Defensive analytics have a ways to go in catching up with their offensive counterparts.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
This is funny. We're in the final 2. He wont announce until 10/11...and we're already Next'd? I put our chances at like 45%. Sure we're an underdog, but I hope the coaching staff is still trying.
The only way Zionn is right is if he gave a silent early verbal. Time will tell.
More than likely he contacted UConn knowing Matthews is coming for official visit this weekend and making things clear for them.

If that's the case classy move. Wish the kid luck.

Reaction Score
The perfect anecdote is the way defensive metrics assessed Kawhi last year, especially in the 1st half of the season. He was valued as the worst defender on the Spurs and a downright bad defensive player. Kawhi is objectively the best wing defender in the NBA and a top 3 defender overall. Defensive analytics have a ways to go in catching up with their offensive counterparts.

Seeing how the Spurs actually got better defensively when Kawhi left the floor, that might be more of a Ewing theory thing than an indictment on the stat. I would equate it to getting better on defense after losing a shutdown corner because now you change your schemes and start to drop more guys in coverage. I think everybody who was actually watching the games knew Kawhi was still a beast and that the nature of some of the advanced stats were fluky. It's a chink of the armor of the advanced numbers, no doubt, but you can at least follow the logic - Kawhi was quite literally, for as preposterous as it sounded, hurting the team on defense for a period of time.

Melo is widely regarded by a lot of people around the game as a losing player, and while I think that label is harsh and unfair, I can also see how the Cuse fan boy's counter-point about his Olympic success can lead some to believe he's overrated. He's a guy who can vacillate from best player on a good team to key piece to a great team to not useful whatsoever. There are a lot of other guys who can be the first and second things without having to be babysat when things get tough.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Staff has pulled back resources on carey. Goal is to get Matthews to commit this weekend and identify a rising big to round out class. Would give us Akinkjo, Sid, Matthews and a big to be named.
And we'll likely have one open scholarship to play with come spring.

If we have a great year, we'll be able to go after some top decommits or maybe a postgrad. I'd rather have Carey locked down now, but oh well. Glad we got Akinjo, glad we got Wilson, hope we get Matthews & the Lithuanian kid.

Reaction Score
Well, I am glad we got Akinjo at least.

If/when Jalen leaves we are definitely gonna need another guard though..

Reaction Score

I remember reading an explanation for that phenomenon somewhere. The example was Jimmy Butler, and basically whoever Kawhi is guarding will stand in the corner, or minimize touching the ball. They'll literally try to make the game 4 on 4 because is so good at defense that it's like playing 5.5 on 5 in favor of the Defense when he's on the floor. Amazing what a talent that guy is. Love him. My #3 in the league after Lebron and KD

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'd rather have Carey locked down now, but oh well. Glad we got Akinjo, glad we got Wilson, hope we get Matthews & the Lithuanian kid.
Well, I am glad we got Akinjo at least.

Not trying to do the silver lining thing here, but getting Akinjo might be better for us in the long run. According to, well, everybody, Carey is the much better player, but everything I've read has him jumping to the League as soon as humanly possible. Akinjo seems like the type of kid who'll be around for 3 years minimum, and being a UCONN type of dude to boot. That usually works out for us.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I am not ready for next. But it seems to be swinging toward cuse some. Still early. Heard staff will try to visit 2or3x more before the announcement
We are UConn! We have no quit! We work hard with our resources.

Good to hear the coaches are not giving up.

Reaction Score
I just hope they are truely still very much undecided. I hope he isnt stringing Uconn along for the sake of his announcement date. I mean if he tells Uconn take a walk at this point, would there still need to be an announcement? I just hate it when people waste other peoples time. I trust that Ollie is still pursuing Jalen because he truly believes Uconn still has a realistic shot at landing him.

Reaction Score
I just hope they are truely still very much undecided. I hope he isnt stringing Uconn along for the sake of his announcement date. I mean if he tells Uconn take a walk at this point, would there still need to be an announcement? I just hate it when people waste other peoples time. I trust that Ollie is still pursuing Jalen because he truly believes Uconn still has a realistic shot at landing him.
He's wasting our time. Reward him by not watching the announcement.

C

Chief00

And we'll likely have one open scholarship to play with come spring.

If we have a great year, we'll be able to go after some top decommits or maybe a postgrad. I'd rather have Carey locked down now, but oh well. Glad we got Akinjo, glad we got Wilson, hope we get Matthews & the Lithuanian kid.

We need to be comfortable with guys transferring out but for the right reason - playing time. That way we can upgrade in ways to meet identify needs.

Reaction Score
He's wasting our time. Reward him by not watching the announcement.
I'm done with announcements! I've only ever watched 2. Being a Knicks fan watching Lebron James sit in the Greenwhich Ct Girls and Boy club making an announcement that he was taking his talents to South beach, and watching Hamidou put on a UK hat. Some time on the 11th i'll come to this page as usual and get he news good or bad. I cant be that invested anymore.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I'm done with announcements! I've only ever watched 2. Being a Knicks fan watching Lebron James sit in the Greenwhich Ct Girls and Boy club making an announcement that he was taking his talents to South beach, and watching Hamidou put on a UK hat. Some time on the 11th i'll come to this page as usual and get he news good or bad. I cant be that invested anymore.
Someday UConn will get it's first recruit announcement. I'm going to force myself to watch every rejection until that happens just so twenty years from that time I can say I remember when dot dot dot announced UConn and I was there.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Not trying to do the silver lining thing here, but getting Akinjo might be better for us in the long run. According to, well, everybody, Carey is the much better player, but everything I've read has him jumping to the League as soon as humanly possible. Akinjo seems like the type of kid who'll be around for 3 years minimum, and being a UCONN type of dude to boot. That usually works out for us.
If Akinjo is anything less than a 4-year player it's because he's had a Kemba-like junior season. Which would be very nice.

As I said a few weeks back, I'm really glad we got him. I'm really bummed, tho, that we're not getting Carey. Kid's a top-level shot-maker and a real talent.

I hope he picks Miami.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
If Akinjo is anything less than a 4-year player it's because he's had a Kemba-like junior season. Which would be very nice.

As I said a few weeks back, I'm really glad we got him. I'm really bummed, tho, that we're not getting Carey. Kid's a top-level shot-maker and a real talent.

If he doesn't pick UConn I hope he picks Miami.
FIFY

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Zion already weighed in, my man. It's over.
I'm aware of what @Zionn declared and his NEXTS are about as reliable an indicator there is. But he's not infallible. IIRC he declared DHam transferring and/or CV and I'm sure he was plugged into what the staff heard, but kids change their minds.

So, knowing this I won't wave the white flag about Carey and apparently neither is the staff.

Reaction Score
FIFY

October 11th is my birthday too and I will be making a big announcement regarding my decision, where I will go...........fishing on the fly....Albies in Rhode Island or Trout on the Farmington, or generic gigantic salmonoids on the Salmon River.

It's going to be a tough decision.

I will consult my family, friends, Doppler 5000, Google Maps, the gas gauge in my Outback and entertain suggestions from most "Yarders except Paesano (and a few others) who offer little positive mojo and I generally disagree with on general principal. ;)

PS I pass by Syracuse on my way to the Salmon River and why anyone would ever choose to stay more than 5 minutes is beyond me. :eek:

Reaction Score
Someday UConn will get it's first recruit announcement. I'm going to force myself to watch every rejection until that happens just so twenty years from that time I can say I remember when dot dot dot announced UConn and I was there.

I was thinking about this the other day. Are we really 0-fer on these announcements?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom