It's come down to this for the Lady Vols

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I must admit to not being around when all this happened
And it sounds pretty terrible.
But we have forgiven Japan for Pearl Harbor.
Twenty years ago, there were fears that the US was to become an economic colony of theirs.
I remember a much celebrated piece in the Times by James Reston
About our war aims in WWII ending with how (ultimately) we had lost.

Goodness, we've all but forgiven (at least made our peace) with the holocaust; certainly (most) don't blame the current crop of Germans for that, even the majority of Jews, I know my parent's gen had big problems with that.

It's time for the grownups and intelligentsia on the various boards (and the intellectual level here is immense) to suck it up, understand that forgiveness is a very positive emotion, good for one's soul and to drop this hatred from a bygone era. No matter how dastardly their actions, we prevailed, they are on the verge of losing everything, It is time to forgive and move on.

In the business world, these things happen all the time...happened to me....at a major, major foundation meeting one of the finest most, respected instrumentalists in the city gave (behind closed doors) a 15-minute diatribe, dedicated to my evils and untrustfulness. It went a long way towards torpedoing my career in town. It came from nowhere, was for the most part completely untrue, did incalculable harm. Why did it so unexpectedly occur?...Because, despite his wonderful playing, we had discovered an even greater artist for the position he held, and had started the process whereby he would be ultimately replaced. Now, decades later, the anger and frustration which he had carried inside for years finally had a forum to express itself in torpedoing my organization (unsuccessful), and me personally (did better at that).

At the time, I was shocked, dismayed. After I left the organization (hardly voluntarily), that I founded and single-handidly made into one of the finest of its type in town, I went on with my life, prospered in new challenges, and can say with great honesty that I have no malice towards him, no regrets for the disruption it caused, respect his wonderful playing, and if I were to be given the opportunity to engage the young artist who replaced him and went on to be one of the 3 or 4 Maya Moore types around whom you build a team, I would do it again. Even knowing the consequences.

And most importantly, for many years I have been able to greed this gentleman amicably, without rancor. It's over it happened, move on.

In the case of UConn, Geno and Maya prevailed, the team never skipped a beat...oh, we may have missed out on a recruit or two for a season or two, didn't win every single championship (would have if EDD would have stayed) but Pat's slander was of no consequence. did as much harm to her as us. UConn is yet, more dominant than it was.

it is really past due to bury the hatchet on this one and give those guys a break....For our own sakes if not theirs.

Excellent sentiments, Michael, and, as always, very well written. The problem, however, is that this particular calumny is NOT a thing of the past; it has proved to have tremendous legs with the LV faithful. Again, I am not talking about the actual charges, which, I agree with Nan were nefarious, mean-spirited and vile, but which damaged the reputation of UT rather than that of Geno and UConn, because all knowledgeable people recognized them for what they were, but rather the unspecified Dark Deeds of Geno, which still continue to bubble up. They take various guises, but the common theme is; "Geno must be a sleazebag, because Pat said he was a sleazebag and Pat would not lie. He must have done something so bad that a Southern Lady like Pat could not even publicly state what it was." And neither Holly nor anyone else in the UT organization has shown any inclination to identify these libels as being baseless.

And besides, as Roddick once said when asked about his "rivalry" with Federer; "I really don't think you can call it a rivalry until or unless I actually win a few." What kind of rivalry would it be if every year Uconn kicked the LV butts by 30-50 points?

Reaction Score
The difference here is that Germany and the German people have apologized and made reparations for Third Reich war crimes. The current crop of Tennessee administrators and fans have not made amends, and worse, continue to perpetuate the unsubstantiated innuendos.

Is this the reason why Japanese Companies favor Tennessee?

FOREIGN INVESTMENT IN TENNESSEE
• 1. Japan, $15.7 billion and 41,262 employees

• 2. Germany, $3.4 billion and 14,933 employees

• 3. Canada, $1.8 billion and 9,795 employees

• 4. United Kingdom, $1.4 billion and 12,987 employees

• 5. Korea, $913 million and 1,270 employees

Source: Tennessee Department of Economic and Community Development

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/...ompanies-lead-investment-in-tennessee/132141/

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I have been following women's college basketball since 1990 and I always thought Pat Summit was a great coach and a coach with integrity. Has anyone considered the possibility that her accusations against UConn were a result of paranoia associated with Alzheimer's disease, It is not uncommon with the disease. Also, at the time those accusations were made she was still pretty much all powerful at the U of Tenn and a force within the SEC. It hardly seems strange then that the University and the conference followed through with a formal complaint. I for one don't believe there was any actual malice on Pat's part. It was the disease speaking but at the time no one knew that.
Yes this (Pat's paranoia associated with Alzheimer's disease) has been considered and discussed here many times. As with most things on the Boneyard there is a variety of opinions. If you go back and look at the list of false accusations lodged against UCONN so much of it was easily verifiable (Sue & DT out the country) and trivial ( Kib's sign) that IMO paranoia played a major part. Then there was Pat's "they know what they did" accusation which was almost certainly paranoia.

Reaction Score
If Holly resigns or is fired after this season, and a new head coach is hired who was nowhere near Knoxville or even the SEC at the time that these events occurred, would that be enough for you hardliners to bury the hatchet? Nope - not for me.

At some point, shouldn't the interests of current fans and (completely innocent) players on both teams in seeing or playing a good game of basketball take precedence over the pursuit of these hoary feuds? The players are "guilty" for choosing to go there as far as I'm concerned - no sympathy at all.

While the University of Tennessee did have a role in what happened and they can burn in hell (sports-wise, anyway)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I must admit to not being around when all this happened
And it sounds pretty terrible.
But we have forgiven Japan for Pearl Harbor.
Twenty years ago, there were fears that the US was to become an economic colony of theirs.
I remember a much celebrated piece in the Times by James Reston
About our war aims in WWII ending with how (ultimately) we had lost.

Goodness, we've all but forgiven (at least made our peace) with the holocaust; certainly (most) don't blame the current crop of Germans for that, even the majority of Jews, I know my parent's gen had big problems with that.

It's time for the grownups and intelligentsia on the various boards (and the intellectual level here is immense) to suck it up, understand that forgiveness is a very positive emotion, good for one's soul and to drop this hatred from a bygone era. No matter how dastardly their actions, we prevailed, they are on the verge of losing everything, It is time to forgive and move on.

In the business world, these things happen all the time...happened to me....at a major, major foundation meeting one of the finest most, respected instrumentalists in the city gave (behind closed doors) a 15-minute diatribe, dedicated to my evils and untrustfulness. It went a long way towards torpedoing my career in town. It came from nowhere, was for the most part completely untrue, did incalculable harm. Why did it so unexpectedly occur?...Because, despite his wonderful playing, we had discovered an even greater artist for the position he held, and had started the process whereby he would be ultimately replaced. Now, decades later, the anger and frustration which he had carried inside for years finally had a forum to express itself in torpedoing my organization (unsuccessful), and me personally (did better at that).

At the time, I was shocked, dismayed. After I left the organization (hardly voluntarily), that I founded and single-handidly made into one of the finest of its type in town, I went on with my life, prospered in new challenges, and can say with great honesty that I have no malice towards him, no regrets for the disruption it caused, respect his wonderful playing, and if I were to be given the opportunity to engage the young artist who replaced him and went on to be one of the 3 or 4 Maya Moore types around whom you build a team, I would do it again. Even knowing the consequences.

And most importantly, for many years I have been able to greed this gentleman amicably, without rancor. It's over it happened, move on.

In the case of UConn, Geno and Maya prevailed, the team never skipped a beat...oh, we may have missed out on a recruit or two for a season or two, didn't win every single championship (would have if EDD would have stayed) but Pat's slander was of no consequence. did as much harm to her as us. UConn is yet, more dominant than it was.

it is really past due to bury the hatchet on this one and give those guys a break....For our own sakes if not theirs.
There are still active cases of Nazis being hunted as there should be. It is up to the people who suffered for the TN lies and attempted destruction of the program to decided if they want to "suck things up" and move on. Outsider like you and I SHOULD NOT be telling them when it is time or what to do.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Yes this (Pat's paranoia associated with Alzheimer's disease) has been considered and discussed here many times. As with most things on the Boneyard there is a variety of opinions. If you go back and look at the list of false accusations lodged against UCONN so much of it was easily verifiable (Sue & DT out the country) and trivial ( Kib's sign) that IMO paranoia played a major part. Then there was Pat's "they know what they did" accusation which was almost certainly paranoia.

I'd also like to remember the "I saved my dog from the racoon" escapade resulting in a broken shoulder. Also the year of "getting men out of my life" except of course for Travis. I just don't believe the former was the real story and the latter sounds like paranoia.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Oh sorry my friend.... no insinuation..... i could cite recent examples verbatim, but this forum does not allow it..... apparently though you are a Vols fan you do not visit the forums.....

Apparently Nan was right and we are talking by each other. I do visit Volnation for amusement and now that I understand your curiously phrased point, through Nan the Interpreter, I agree; they slander directly and by innuendo with gusto. Vols fan hardly. Rocky does not allude to Rockytop, but the Rockies outside my window here in Montana.

Reaction Score
I would bet that 90%of Uconn fans dislike the voles for the same reason i have disliked the Lakers for 60 years.They were the Celtics main rival in the 60's and i grew up in New England. Allegiances very often remain for life and teams have disrupted our comfort zone annoy us.When we have les than wonderful things to say about Tennessee it is because of their past relevancy and our hope that they never again reach that status.We also have equal opportunity schadenfreude for Ms.Muffet and her little tuffits.For most of us it isn't a forgiveness issue,it's just an "i don't like your team and i hope you never win another game" issue.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If Holly resigns or is fired after this season, and a new head coach is hired who was nowhere near Knoxville or even the SEC at the time that these events occurred, would that be enough for you hardliners to bury the hatchet?

At some point, shouldn't the interests of current fans and (completely innocent) players on both teams in seeing or playing a good game of basketball take precedence over the pursuit of these hoary feuds?

While the University of Tennessee did have a role in what happened, I get the sense from the tone and content of many hardliner posts that a major part of the impetus for their position is the behavior of fans on message boards rather than the behavior of the University itself. In my opinion, that should be completely irrelevant, not to mention insignificant.
The TN fans on a message should have no more say over administration actions than the Boneyard has over UCONN's actions. Then and now the UT administration remains silent that 37 pages of allegations resulted in a few secondary violations. The UT administration also refuses to acknowledge that many people had their lives destroyed by false allegations. Then is was because Pat essentially hand no boss at UT. Now is because the administration at TN refuses to believe that Pat did anything wrong. Neither is acceptable.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
And besides, as Roddick once said when asked about his "rivalry" with Federer; "I really don't think you can call it a rivalry until or unless I actually win a few." What kind of rivalry would it be if every year Uconn kicked the LV butts by 30-50 points?

.. intensely satisfying...

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Is this the reason why Japanese Companies favor Tennessee?

FOREIGN INVESTMENT IN TENNESSEE
• 1. Japan, $15.7 billion and 41,262 employees

• 2. Germany, $3.4 billion and 14,933 employees

• 3. Canada, $1.8 billion and 9,795 employees

• 4. United Kingdom, $1.4 billion and 12,987 employees

• 5. Korea, $913 million and 1,270 employees

Source: Tennessee Department of Economic and Community Development

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/...ompanies-lead-investment-in-tennessee/132141/

It's because they can't pronounce "Chevrolet" either...

T

TroyHouse66

Zorro-
<<What kind of rivalry would it be if every year Uconn kicked the LV butts by 30-50 points?>>

I, personally, believe that UConn, ethically, must display NO FAVORITISM what-so-ever in organizing its schedule.
Tennessee should be required to stand in line... like everybody else.. to get their butts kicked by 30-50 points!!

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
The UT administration also refuses to acknowledge that many people had their lives destroyed by false allegations.
Coco: I've not heard this part. Would you please elaborate?

Reaction Score
The TN fans on a message should have no more say over administration actions than the Boneyard has over UCONN's actions. Then and now the UT administration remains silent that 37 pages of allegations resulted in a few secondary violations. The UT administration also refuses to acknowledge that many people had their lives destroyed by false allegations. Then is was because Pat essentially hand no boss at UT. Now is because the administration at TN refuses to believe that Pat did anything wrong. Neither is acceptable.

It is highly likely that the allegations involving Boneyard were brought to the attention of the Tennessee administration by Lady Vol fans (possibly Maria Cornelius). It would be interesting to know if the fans took the initiative or were asked to do so by the athletics dept.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I would bet that 90%of Uconn fans dislike the voles for the same reason i have disliked the Lakers for 60 years.They were the Celtics main rival in the 60's and i grew up in New England. Allegiances very often remain for life and teams have disrupted our comfort zone annoy us.When we have les than wonderful things to say about Tennessee it is because of their past relevancy and our hope that they never again reach that status.We also have equal opportunity schadenfreude for Ms.Muffet and her little tuffits.For most of us it isn't a forgiveness issue,it's just an "i don't like your team and i hope you never win another game" issue.

I don't think you speak for most of us. While there was always a healthy rivalry, the abiding fan dislike of UTenn didn't happen until Saint Pat made her silly ass accusations. Her "ask Geno . . . " bullcrap showed exactly what sort of person she was. You cannot make those sort of public charges against someone and then be too much of a coward to back them up.

In civil relationships forgiveness usually follows an apology. Since that doesn't seem to be forthcoming screw them - them being the UTenn wcbb program and the sleazy fans that stirred the pot. I don't think there is a single poster on the BY that bears any animosity against the players. It's not about them.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
It is highly likely that the allegations involving Boneyard were brought to the attention of the Tennessee administration by Lady Vol fans (possibly Maria Cornelius). It would be interesting to know if the fans took the initiative or were asked to do so by the athletics dept.

I think that MMC considered herself part of the inner circle of the OGC that ran women's sports at UTenn. I also believe that she actively encouraged all the malicious crap that infected the Summitt at the time. I know that she threatened to sic her FBI brother on a BY member. Kinda' like a 3rd grader threatening to have their father whup your father.

Reaction Score
Apparently Nan was right and we are talking by each other. I do visit Volnation for amusement and now that I understand your curiously phrased point, through Nan the Interpreter, I agree; they slander directly and by innuendo with gusto. Vols fan hardly. Rocky does not allude to Rockytop, but the Rockies outside my window here in Montana.

Ya RMT no harm no foul..... i never get offended ..... like the exchange and opinions of all..... and in this case for a while i did not know i had phrased things a bit funny...... be well

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
It is highly likely that the allegations involving Boneyard were brought to the attention of the Tennessee administration by Lady Vol fans (possibly Maria Cornelius).

Ms Cornelius is the moderator of The Summitt message board. For years she boasted of her "insider" relationship with Pat, attendance at practices, etc. She often shook down Summitteers for donations to defray her travel expenses to away games -- until she instituted a membership fee to posters and lurkers alike.

More to the point, she never curtailed the continuous stream of vile and repulsive posts, especially about Geno and Diana. I will go to my grave believing that MC was the author of the 37-page diatribe. If Tennessee is The Evil Empire, Ms Cornelius is The Princess of Darkness. :mad:

Reaction Score
I have been following women's college basketball since 1990 and I always thought Pat Summit was a great coach and a coach with integrity. Has anyone considered the possibility that her accusations against UConn were a result of paranoia associated with Alzheimer's disease, It is not uncommon with the disease. Also, at the time those accusations were made she was still pretty much all powerful at the U of Tenn and a force within the SEC. It hardly seems strange then that the University and the conference followed through with a formal complaint. I for one don't believe there was any actual malice on Pat's part. It was the disease speaking but at the time no one knew that.
Then explain the 2 NC Tenn won in 2007-08.Obviously it wasnt Holly Warlick doing the coaching LMAO!By the way the ESPN tour that was set up was FREE and open to the public at the time.Bristol resident for 52 years..

Reaction Score
. . . I don't think there is a single poster on the BY that bears any animosity against the players. It's not about them.

I'm sure this is correct. How could these kids have anything to do with what happened a decade ago.

My animus is, and always has been, directed toward that obnoxious and delusional subset of
Tennessee fans whom Nan refers to as "the Tin Foil Hat Brigade".

Thus, while I bear no ill will towards the players, I do hope that they lose, because each loss
inflicts grievous distress upon the TFH Brigade.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Then explain the 2 NC Tenn won in 2007-08.Obviously it wasnt Holly Warlick doing the coaching LMAO!By the way the ESPN tour that was set up was FREE and open to the public at the time.Bristol resident for 52 years..
The 2007&08 Championships came at a time when the Lady Vols had CP in uniform as well as a strong supporting cast.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coco: I've not heard this part. Would you please elaborate?
Gus I am thinking specifically of Maya and her mother and the vile drivel that gets repeated about them even today.
I was also told the FBI was brought into investigate.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Gus I am thinking specifically of Maya and her mother and the vile drivel that gets repeated about them even today.
I was also told the FBI was brought into investigate.
OK, thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak