It's come down to this for the Lady Vols | Page 7 | The Boneyard

It's come down to this for the Lady Vols

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Wow, the coaches are setting a bad example? I agree with CL82's response to this..... Pat tried to absolutely bury our program based on charges which were backed up largely by opinion. Some of her charges in those 37 pages were incredulous. Pat was right on only the Maya arranged tour with ESPN, a secondary violation. It is ironic that Pat herself - portrayed as so lily-white - received an equal secondary violation from the NCAA the same year I believe after a picture with Pat and recruit Meghan Simmons in a tunnel at her high school gym. It is funny, in this country, if confronted with charges without merit, the opportunity to file suit for slander or defamation ofcharacter would exist.... but this is the NCAA.... you are able to throw anything against the wall, and if it doesn't stick , you are able to walk away..... no harm no foul..... to state counter to your opinion, I am proud the CT coaches have ignored Tenn since that incident.... it is far from ho.... a simple "we are sorry" would have sufficed to start the talks to meet again on the court..... if there is an example being set by the CT coaching staff to their players, it would be one which is not bad, but in fact quite noble
Again the arranged tour at ESPN was a free open to the public tour that anybody could go on.It should not have been a violation at all.After the NCAA ruled it should have been over then.If Connecticut plays Tennessee in the tournament this year then the players from both teams will probably be asked about it because it wasnt put to bed a decade ago.

Reaction Score
So you are saying that anyone can do anything at any time, no matter how slimy, underhanded or ill intended, but if they fail they rest of us should just disregard it? How noble of you, well kind of not, since you are just incentivizing asocial and amoral behavior.

Geno would have been justified in loading up for bear and going right back at Summitt and the Tennessee. He took the high road and chose not to, but that doesn't mean that needs to associate with people who launched a mean spirited, dirty smear campaign in attempt to do off the court what they couldn't do on the court.

I remember Tennessee posters on the Summit who felt that by not playing Connecticut, they would push the Huskies into irrelevancy. Ironic, isn't it?
Geno would have been justified to stand his ground and fight back because it is his program and his team.Who said his team or program had to associate with Tennessee.I didnt and by the way you are talking you must be part of the program but you are not.It is not my team or yours and you dont see me writing we or us like a lot of people do on the BY.I am a fan of the womens team since 1987 and when the Huskies do play Tenn.again I hope they win by 50 because that is where it should be decided.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Geno would have been justified to stand his ground and fight back because it is his program and his team.Who said his team or program had to associate with Tennessee.I didnt and by the way you are talking you must be part of the program but you are not.It is not my team or yours and you dont see me writing we or us like a lot of people do on the BY.I am a fan of the womens team since 1987 and when the Huskies do play Tenn.again I hope they win by 50 because that is where it should be decided.
Except the attempted destruction of the UCONN program by TN did not happen on the court. It happened in some probably seedy, mole infested, dank TN or Vandy backroom.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Meh, agree to disagree on the main topic.

Regarding the rest of you post, I'm not sure who that diatribe was aimed at. My post didn't use the 1st person plural. Regardless, it really doesn't trouble me one way or the other. This is a fan site. I don't think anyone who stops by here thinks they are reading university press releases.

Reaction Score
Again the arranged tour at ESPN was a free open to the public tour that anybody could go on.It should not have been a violation at all.After the NCAA ruled it should have been over then.If Connecticut plays Tennessee in the tournament this year then the players from both teams will probably be asked about it because it wasnt put to bed a decade ago.

Agreed! yes the tour was available to everyone..... Nor should have the short phone call to the little leaguer been a violation...... and it was supposedly cleared through the NCAA .... Oh well.... it was not big enough to contest, UConn thought

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I must admit to not being around when all this happened
And it sounds pretty terrible.
But we have forgiven Japan for Pearl Harbor.
Twenty years ago, there were fears that the US was to become an economic colony of theirs.
I remember a much celebrated piece in the Times by James Reston
About our war aims in WWII ending with how (ultimately) we had lost.

Goodness, we've all but forgiven (at least made our peace) with the holocaust; certainly (most) don't blame the current crop of Germans for that, even the majority of Jews, I know my parent's gen had big problems with that.

It's time for the grownups and intelligentsia on the various boards (and the intellectual level here is immense) to suck it up, understand that forgiveness is a very positive emotion, good for one's soul and to drop this hatred from a bygone era. No matter how dastardly their actions, we prevailed, they are on the verge of losing everything, It is time to forgive and move on.

In the business world, these things happen all the time...happened to me....at a major, major foundation meeting one of the finest most, respected instrumentalists in the city gave (behind closed doors) a 15-minute diatribe, dedicated to my evils and untrustfulness. It went a long way towards torpedoing my career in town. It came from nowhere, was for the most part completely untrue, did incalculable harm. Why did it so unexpectedly occur?...Because, despite his wonderful playing, we had discovered an even greater artist for the position he held, and had started the process whereby he would be ultimately replaced. Now, decades later, the anger and frustration which he had carried inside for years finally had a forum to express itself in torpedoing my organization (unsuccessful), and me personally (did better at that).

At the time, I was shocked, dismayed. After I left the organization (hardly voluntarily), that I founded and single-handidly made into one of the finest of its type in town, I went on with my life, prospered in new challenges, and can say with great honesty that I have no malice towards him, no regrets for the disruption it caused, respect his wonderful playing, and if I were to be given the opportunity to engage the young artist who replaced him and went on to be one of the 3 or 4 Maya Moore types around whom you build a team, I would do it again. Even knowing the consequences.

And most importantly, for many years I have been able to greed this gentleman amicably, without rancor. It's over it happened, move on.

In the case of UConn, Geno and Maya prevailed, the team never skipped a beat...oh, we may have missed out on a recruit or two for a season or two, didn't win every single championship (would have if EDD would have stayed) but Pat's slander was of no consequence. did as much harm to her as us. UConn is yet, more dominant than it was.

it is really past due to bury the hatchet on this one and give those guys a break....For our own sakes if not theirs.

[mod edit]

I no longer consider you a UCONN fan. (your honor may I treat him as a hostile witness?)

Disgusting what's allowed to be posted on this board nowadays. Back in my day........

Last edited by a moderator:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Bruno a year ago received $428K in base compensation and total compensation of $521K including benefits, retirement contributions, bonus, etc. At Villanova, Harry Parretta is at best making half of that, maybe $250K all in.

As for mid-majors, here are numbers for two of the best known and longest tenured: (a) Brian Giorgis (Marist) - $175K base, total of $237K including everything; (b) Bill Gibbons (Holy Cross) - $180K base, $227K everything. The majority of women's coaches in the MAAC, the Patriot League, etc are making less than $125K in base salary - many well below that number. Giorgis and Gibbons are outliers.
Thanks for the numbers - a question - do the numbers you have come up with include non-direct compensation? It is probably not a meaningful question related to most mid-majors, but for Geno it is significant whether you include the moneys being paid by SNY for the Geno show, which is a guaranteed gig that comes with his employment, but I do not believe actually goes through the University. I suspect Bruno has some radio gig tied to his coaching as well. The salary and benefits package is often just the starting point, with bonus structures and related guarantees being sources of additional possible compensation.

On many of the mid-majors, while those numbers pale in comparison to the big league, they are may be quite significant relative to the total AD budgets at the school - especially for schools that do not have the football program consuming huge expenses.

Just found Tonya's 2013 salary per Temple - $557K
And a USA article from 2011 -
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/womensbasketball/2011-coaches-salary-database.htm
NB below the list they mention Geno's Nike compensation is unknown.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the numbers - a question - do the numbers you have come up with include non-direct compensation? It is probably not a meaningful question related to most mid-majors, but for Geno it is significant whether you include the moneys being paid by SNY for the Geno show, which is a guaranteed gig that comes with his employment, but I do not believe actually goes through the University. I suspect Bruno has some radio gig tied to his coaching as well. The salary and benefits package is often just the starting point, with bonus structures and related guarantees being sources of additional possible compensation.

On many of the mid-majors, while those numbers pale in comparison to the big league, they are may be quite significant relative to the total AD budgets at the school - especially for schools that do not have the football program consuming huge expenses.

Just found Tonya's 2013 salary per Temple - $557K
And a USA article from 2011 -
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/womensbasketball/2011-coaches-salary-database.htm
NB below the list they mention Geno's Nike compensation is unknown.

My numbers are from the filed tax statements of the schools. The second number I have shown includes all indirect compensation that the school funds. It wouldn't include anything not funded by the school. Curious about where the Temple number comes from. The Temple 990 for the 2013-14 fiscal year indicates she is making far less than that.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
"when the Huskies do play Tenn.again I hope they win by 50 because that is where it should be decided."

That would decide nothing other than the outcome of a competition between to groups of athletes. Some people can't seem to grok that this has nothing at all to do with basketball teams.

In my mind the only thing that will decide the issue for me is a very public apology from the University of Tennessee's women's basketball program.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
My numbers are from the filed tax statements of the schools. The second number I have shown includes all indirect compensation that the school funds. It wouldn't include anything not funded by the school. Curious about where the Temple number comes from. The Temple 990 for the 2013-14 fiscal year indicates she is making far less than that.
https://www.temple.edu/sites/temple/files/uploads/2013_selectedsalary.pdf

I make no claims for its accuracy. but it is a temple.edu site.

Reaction Score
https://www.temple.edu/sites/temple/files/uploads/2013_selectedsalary.pdf

I make no claims for its accuracy. but it is a temple.edu site.

Thanks. Something is strange because they cite the 2013-14 990 - yet her name does not appear anywhere in that document (see link below). Employees making less than $250K do appear. The $557K sounds high to me - more than Bruno, more than twice as much as Parretta, etc.

http://www.guidestar.org/FinDocuments//2014/231/365/2014-231365971-0b936da6-9.pdf

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Thanks. Something is strange because they cite the 2013-14 990 - yet her name does not appear anywhere in that document (see link below). Employees making less than $250K do appear. The $557K sounds high to me - more than Bruno, more than twice as much as Parretta, etc.

http://www.guidestar.org/FinDocuments//2014/231/365/2014-231365971-0b936da6-9.pdf
No idea but I suspect it may be in how they define 'key employees' - it may include the 'highest paid' within various job descriptions - they have the men's basketball coach but not the men's football coach for example - it appears to be a very select group of employees listed. Matt Rhule (FB) just signed a new contract that reportedly pays him $1.3M, but his 2013 compensation may well have been below the $992K that the basketball coach got so he didn't need to be listed under the category of 'Coach'.

Reaction Score
Thanks, didn't know Morgan's name was floated around as being linked with the LVs..... ya and the TN fan base..... and Morgan vs. Bashara.... reminds me of the present litany..... that being about "we didn't need Dangerfield anyway, Tea Cooper is much better"

For the record, I like the way Bashara plays.... she hustles and visibly wants to win more than any other player I can see..... she is tough player.

I was impressed with Bashara Graves when she was a freshman, I thought she could become something special. But injuries & 3 years of Warlick's coaching took care of that IMHO.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Text of cover letter from Joan Cronan, UT's then Athletic Director

July 27, 2006
Mr. Mike Slive, Commissioner Southeastern Conference 2201 Richard Arrington Blvd., N Birmingham, AL 35203-1103

Dear Mike,
From time to time we have encountered situations related to the University of Connecticut's Women's basketball program that would seem to be a violation of the rules. On occasion, we have called the compliance office at Connecticut to determine how they do some of the things we had questions about -in hopes that we could do the same thing -only to be told they would get back to us, which never occurred.
After consultation with Dr. Petersen, I am providing the attached information in hopes that the SEC office will forward this to the Big East staff for investigation. In addition, please know that we are prepared to forward this information directly to the NCAA, but prefer to remain anonymous if possible.
This information comes as a result of discussion among-basketbalrcoaches at the SEC Spring meeting, information shared by AAU and High School coaches-, prospective-student-athletes, as well as numerous other individuals.
Thank you for your attention to this matter,

Entire file to big to load, but I thought people could get a kick out of the "Don't Look Behind the Curtain" cover letter.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Romulan speak?

"Stranger in a Strange Land", R.A. Heinlein, meaning "to understand at a very deep level".

Became a mainstay of high-school/college jargon in the 60's & 70's..

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"Stranger in a Strange Land", R.A. Heinlein

Became a mainstay of high-school/college jargon in the 60's & 70's..

Read the book several times. Guess that part of the gray matter went white a while ago.

Reaction Score
I was impressed with Bashara Graves when she was a freshman, I thought she could become something special. But injuries & 3 years of Warlick's coaching took care of that IMHO.

ya Amen to that! It just seems to me like she is working very hard hustle-wise as opposed to her teammates.... It is so strange to hear Holly say that she knows everyone is giving it their all when I do not think Geno or Muffet would put up with that level of effort... especially Mercedes, whose foot problems according to her are 100% in the past.... It appears she is often a bystander.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
[mod edit]

I no longer consider you a UCONN fan. (your honor may I treat him as a hostile witness?)

Disgusting what's allowed to be posted on this board nowadays. Back in my day...
...Coke came in a bottle and cost a nickel!!

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
On occasion, we have called the compliance office at Connecticut to determine how they do some of the things we had questions about -in hopes that we could do the same thing -only to be told they would get back to us, which never occurred.

Well, for this I can't blame them. If I knew someone who knew how to be in Atlanta and Russia at the same time, I imagine I'd want to know how to do it too.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Well, for this I can't blame them. If I knew someone who knew how to be in Atlanta and Russia at the same time, I imagine I'd want to know how to do it too.

Post of the day. I suspect they had to use two bags of McD's fries in the flux capacitor to get it done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom