It's come down to this for the Lady Vols | Page 2 | The Boneyard

It's come down to this for the Lady Vols

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
"wouldn't we all like to see the day when UT is #1 or 2"

Not me -Warlick was part of it. I'm hoping for UTenn to never see another NCAA tournament.
I have no problem with Texas. UCONN can't be #1 forever and I think UT is certainly on the right track for sure. Aston is a solid coach and really good recruiter. I think there are good things on the horizon for Texas...

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I have no problem with Texas. UCONN can't be #1 forever and I think UT is certainly on the right track for sure. Aston is a solid coach and really good recruiter. I think there are good things on the horizon for Texas...
The back of the hand is often found at the front of revenge.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
No, we're angry, outraged, insulted, mortified for Maya, Mayas mom, Sue and Diana, indignant, resentful, furious, annoyed and affronted. Any or all of the above. I hope the Tin Foil Hat Brigade, especially the Captain, are living in misery because of their team.

Does that include Tennille as well as the Captain?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The back of the hand is often found at the front of revenge.

Good one Jordy, I've never heard (read) that one before. I'll have to file it away for future use. :p

Reaction Score
Couldn't agree more with Eric. Until all of the Tennessee personnel (Holly was there in 2007) who were connected with the shameful campaign to destroy UConn are gone from Knoxville I'll rejoice each and every time they lose a game...although an evil part of me hopes they momentarily right the ship, make it to the dance, and then get schooled by Geno on national television...again. With Maya and her mom in the stands.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
The thing about rivalries, is they have the ability to make you better - Chrissy and Martina are a perfect example. TN had a chance to flip the script with some sort of Parker follow up and didn't. They veered off course, morally and athletically. Boink! to them.

Reaction Score
I tend to agree with the OP. I am old enough to remember men’s basketball from the era before the players so completely outgrew the dimensions of the court, when it was, frankly, a much more interesting and attractive game than it is today. It is for that very reason that I find the women’s game, and particularly the women’s college game, so appealing…in addition to which, as both parent and grandparent to folks of the female persuasion, I am heavily attracted to better gender distribution in amateur athletics.

Having said all that, any realist must confront the thin-ice environment upon which college athletics for women is based. Given that football is the only entity that floats the boat for virtually all AD’s budgets, there exist only a very limited number of programs that are willing to devote meaningful resources to WCBB and who demonstrate any ongoing commitment to achieving elite status. Additionally, the available talent pool, or the pool of athletically-inclined young women, is dwarfed by similar pools on the men’s side, one more reason why most women’s teams play in ¾ empty arenas. Therefore, any program that drops out of that elite category is a real blow to the game that we all love…even if it’s, God forbid, named Tennessee.

I well-understand the historical basis for all the Tenn-hatred that exists on our Board, though, frankly, in my eyes, it’s just a reflection of a now bygone era that no longer merits the energy that some devote to it…but that’s just me. Much more fun, in my opinion, to now hate ND! But I don’t think we can realistically hope, in today’s fiscal environment, for the emergence of dozens of women’s programs that will commit sufficiently to WCBB, or to women’s athletics in general, to have the same kinds of intense regional rivalries and packed arenas that we see in the men’s game. UCLA, in the post-Wooden era, could suffer a decline, but a MULTITUDE of other programs were out there to pick up the slack. I think that the most we can realistically hope for is the continued existence of a more limited number of national-profile women’s programs that, if only by tradition alone, will not abandon the commitment to women they have made. U Tenn is one of those, and so I agree that what we’ve witnessed really does qualify as a blow to our fragile game.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see UConn meet TN in the second round of the tournament. A 45-point demolition would suit me just fine. Say, 93-48.
No way Tennessee could stay within 45 points. Texas couldn't in last year's sweet 16 game. Tennessee doesn't score as many points as our AAC opponents, and we routinely blow them out by 50-60 points and that's with calling off the dogs.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'd like to see UConn meet TN in the second round of the tournament. A 45-point demolition would suit me just fine. Say, 93-48.
How about in the 1st round with Tenn as a 16 seed?!! :eek:

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
No way Tennessee could stay within 45 points. Texas couldn't in last year's sweet 16 game. Tennessee doesn't score as many points as our AAC opponents, and we routinely blow them out by 50-60 points and that's with calling off the dogs.
OK, well, pick a number, I guess. I think Geno would go out of his way NOT to run up the score because it would make him look bad, like he was being vindictive. Keep in mind the current TN roster has no players remotely involved in the rivalry, and that he recruited some of them, at least for a while.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
At this rate they will not make the tournament. They are presently 9th in the SEC.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Is there any way to give you 10 likes for this post (20 if you said 100-24)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom