OT: - It Was Real Popular, but....Twas Never a Big Fav of Mine....! | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: It Was Real Popular, but....Twas Never a Big Fav of Mine....!

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Here's a great article about the history of line dancing. It never hurts to feed your mind. Even if it's something you never ,ever, thought about.

Here is a video of the first "line" dance I recall. There were some kids at our local dances, older than me, who really do this one.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Here is a video of the first "line" dance I recall. There were some kids at our local dances, older than me, who really do this one.

Wow, that is actually painful to watch.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Wow, that is actually painful to watch.
Yes it was. But it was what came up when I googled it. Believe me when I
say the local kids were really good at it. Hopefully you can imagine a different bunch with the same song!

Reaction Score
I just have to admit, and its gonna put me in the super minority here......I'm OK with Rocky Top. :D
I'm with you Scud...It's a fun tune and hard to stop from singing along....
Seriously? Here? OMG I would hope you are in the smallest possible minority - here of all places. That song absolutely disgusts me, along with everything it stands for - especially Lady Vol fans.

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
Seriously? Here? OMG I would hope you are in the smallest possible minority - here of all places. That song absolutely disgusts me, along with everything it stands for - especially Lady Vol fans.
I'm with you! One of my regular golf group, knowing my LOVE of our kids, has rocky top (doesn't deserve caps) on his phone and he plays it for me when I am setting up for an important shot. I forgive him because he is from north of Albany and has no idea.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
For me 95% of all "progressive" rock is scratch the vinyl awful. Rush, Yes, King Crimson all that bunch for the most part make my ears bleed. OK so you and your fellow band members can play 10 minute solos on your instruments without repeating a note and all at the same time too. Big whoop. Technical proficiency alone does not make for great music IMO. You need great lyrics and singing too.

I love much progressive rock, but never understood why Rush is lumped in with it, and I don't just say that because I don't like them. They are/were all very talented musicians (Neal Peart and Geddy Lee among the best), but so were other power trios (only counting the players in trio) like Cream, Led Zeppelin, and the Who, all of whom went off on long solos. You almost have to have keyboards to be a prog-rock band -- either a virtuoso like Yes/ELP/Gentle Giant or a mellotron like Moody Blues/early King Crimson.

Reaction Score
Here is a really awful song by the B-52's. Makes Rock Lobster sound like a masterpiece.

Quiche Lorraine

Reaction Score
I was reminded of my father who was never a music fan but played the radio in the car when my mother rode. If Pat Boone's "Love Letters in the Sand" came on, off went the radio. He worked at a US naval base and at lunch in the commissary he had to listen to it a half dozen times a day because love sick sailors would play it continually.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
You sir, have no idea what good music it.

Always like this one, BUT, this one I can understand someone not liking it.

For someone that will post publicly that they have always liked a song by The Starland Vocal Band, your opinion of what good music is should definitely be ignored!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I loved the Airplane and liked the Jefferson Starship, but this song by them makes my ears curl up:

I believe a few years ago, a SiriusXM survey of the worst songs in Rock was "won" by your pick. Well done.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I mentioned some gimmicky songs before. I also call them joke songs. Some can be okay in small doses, but do not hold up to repeat listening. "Joy To the World" (the Jeremiah was a bullfrog song) is okay, but fairly hokey. Maybe the hokiest song ever is One Eyed One Horned Flying Purple People Eater.

Maybe the one exception for me is that I actually quite like John Denver's "Grandma's Feather Bed," even though it is pretty goofy.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I think I have come up with hands down the worst artist ever. It's a shame that stupid American Idol foisted him upon the world. It's also shameful that someone actually signed him to a record contract, and some people actually bought his albums. Not a shred of musical ability. Off key, no rhythm, no presence, nothing. I am of course talking about William Hung.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I think I have come up with hands down the worst artist ever. It's a shame that stupid American Idol foisted him upon the world. It's also shameful that someone actually signed him to a record contract, and some people actually bought his albums. Not a shred of musical ability. Off key, no rhythm, no presence, nothing. I am of course talking about William Hung.

One of votefortheworst.com 's great successes.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Here's another confession: I just don't like Willie Nelson's voice. I find it irritating. Oh, another, nowhere near as famous as Willie but has gotten some critical acclaim during his career: Jimmie Dale Gilmore. I can't listen to him. Way, way too nasally.

Reaction Score
But without that band, we wouldn't have had this scene from "Old School":

Eye yi yi, have never seen that movie, but I can't unsee/unhear it now. Now, from this day forward, I'm stuck with it. I shall forever be in your "debt". :rolleyes::p:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
For someone that will post publicly that they have always liked a song by The Starland Vocal Band, your opinion of what good music is should definitely be ignored!
Yea, but this episode of Arrested Development centered this song is classic and hilarious.

Reaction Score
I'm a bit surprised no one has mentioned "A Horse with no name" by America. In my mind it's the worst song ever recorded. I change the station or just turn off the radio, when it comes on.
When I first saw this topic this was the first song that came to mind = agreed it is dreadful.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Here is a really awful song by the B-52's. Makes Rock Lobster sound like a masterpiece.

Quiche Lorraine

Roam, rock lobster, private Idaho, love shack are there best songs. The rest is pretty much drek.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Roam, rock lobster, private Idaho, love shack are there best songs. The rest is pretty much drek.
The chief friend of horrible is atrocious.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Having read and participated in this thread, I just ran into a "click bait" listing of the 25 best (rock) songs in someone's opinon.

I'm pretty sure a couple of them made this list, including "Imagine" and one of my nominees, "My Generation". I have no particular idea of how he came up with them, I never heard of a couple of the songs. That said, I'll give kudos for getting "Stairway to Heaven" near the top, not so sure of "Bohemian Rhapsody" as the greatest song of all time.

BTW, heavy on the Beatles, with Yesterday, Hey Jude, With a Little Help from My Friends and I think one other.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom