OT: - It Was Real Popular, but....Twas Never a Big Fav of Mine....! | The Boneyard

OT: It Was Real Popular, but....Twas Never a Big Fav of Mine....!

Reaction Score
OK, we've looked at all angles of everything we have liked music wise, so how about the opposite approach - what songs have you essentially despised over the years?

I'll kick it off with this one:

Reaction Score
Oh Mickey - DJ on 98.3 in Lakeland said he would rather play Oh Mickey than Andy Gibb's I Want to be Your Everything. It was also in Pitch Perfect. Worst song ever.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Ooh, this could get ugly! I think on principal I refuse to post a video for any song I truly despise. I'll think on it a bit, but there have been all kinds of gimmicky songs that inexplicably were popular, at least briefly. I'm sure some will disagree with me but stuff like "Who Let the Dogs Out, "Gangnam Style," "La Macarena" and "What Does the Fox Say" are just hideous.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Oh Mickey - DJ on 98.3 in Lakeland said he would rather play Oh Mickey than Andy Gibb's I Want to be Your Everything. It was also in Pitch Perfect. Worst song ever.

I have to say...anything by 2 Live Crew goes to the front of the line for worst song ever. The lyrics, the attitude, and not the tiniest shred of musical talent to really top it off. I can't fathom how they were ever a thing, let alone popular. Absolutely the worst.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
(but has 357 M views).

I'll see ya, and raise "Despacito." It's not the worst song ever...but it's approaching 7 BILLION views. Billion. There is nothing slightly remarkable about it. Simple proof that most of the planet doesn't have very good taste. :rolleyes:

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Wow great topic and NO shortage of material.

Notwithstanding Journey and Jefferson Starship, I'm going with The Joker by The Steve Miller Band.

I think the group is way, way overrated. Boorrring!

Reaction Score
When I was in high school I worked after school at a luncheonette that was the high school hangout. It had a jukebox, so what ever was popular I had the pleasure of hearing over and over and over. One song in particular absolutely made me grit my teeth and to this day if it pops up on a golden oldies channel I get a headache in the time it takes to change channels.

This Diamond Ring. Gary Lewis and the Plaboys.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
One man's hate - another's pleasure. I liked Hotel California from when I first heard it. I also don't mind Yellow Submarine - but will admit, it is pablum.

For a bad song by a famous group - I personally have never cared for "My Generation" by the Who. Was a big Who fan in college (dang, that was a long time ago) but never liked what some consider one of their "signature" songs.

For "just dreadful - turn it off" - I'm handicapped because I probably did. I'll suggest "Mambo Italiano" as being up there.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Outside of Sheila, anything by Tommy Roe. Dizzy, Jam Up and Jelly Tight,etc. And Tie a Yellow Ribbon by T O and Dawn was okay but got overplayed to its great detriment. And Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer is absolutely grating on my nerves.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Whenever a Pink Floyd song comes on, I change the station.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Taylor swift

/thread

Reaction Score
Wow great topic and NO shortage of material.

Notwithstanding Journey and Jefferson Starship, I'm going with The Joker by The Steve Miller Band.

I think the group is way, way overrated. Boorrring!

same can't stand Steve Miller

Reaction Score
OK, we've looked at all angles of everything we have liked music wise, so how about the opposite approach - what songs have you essentially despised over the years?

I'll kick it off with this one:
The Eagles won the 1977 Grammy Award for Record of the Year for "Hotel California" at the 20th Grammy Awards in 1978. The song is rated highly in many rock music lists and polls; Rolling Stone magazine ranked it number 49 on its list of "The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time".
Songwriter(s): Don Felder; Don Henley; Glenn ...
Released: February 22, 1977
Studio: Record Plant, Los Angeles; Criteria Stu...

No argument here on the thread, a unique idea, but to start with a song that won a Grammy for song of the year? From a idolized band that sold millions of records? This really explains how we all have a different taste. :)

Well, of course, Rocky Top. And anything by Jim Croce.
I wanted to like the Rocky Top thing but the Jim Croce got in the way. Great artist and player.
You don't tug on Superman's Cape. ;)

Having a tad of experience in the music world myself it took years to break out of the mold of liking what one and their friends grew up with. There is almost nothing I can't listen to and find joy in the musicianship with in, other than Rap that degrades anyone.
I will say as time gets closer to meet my maker, if going to music hell, I would take disco over jazz... :D

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
This thread is very funny since I find some of the songs people hate among my favorites. :D:D

I won't say which since you cant defend personal taste but keep them coming so I can enjoy.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Little Bit of Soul. by the Music Explosion.
I started out liking it until someone in a dorm floor above me played it every night really loud during finals. When I took my exams all I could hear was the really heavy beat of that song, over and over and over again.

Reaction Score
This one by Neil Diamond - Holly Holy. I really liked some of his such as Solitary Man, but this one, to me, was bad, real bad:

Reaction Score
Woof wrote: The Eagles won the 1977 Grammy Award for Record of the Year for "Hotel California" at the 20th Grammy Awards in 1978. The song is rated highly in many rock music lists and polls; Rolling Stone magazine ranked it number 49 on its list of "The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time".
Songwriter(s): Don Felder; Don Henley; Glenn ...
Released: February 22, 1977
Studio: Record Plant, Los Angeles; Criteria Stu...

No argument here on the thread, a unique idea, but to start with a song that won a Grammy for song of the year? From a idolized band that sold millions of records? This really explains how we all have a different taste. :)

Woof - no argument from me - I hear ya. I certainly like some of the Eagles stuff - Train Leaves Here This Morning, Tequila Sunrise, etc - but for some reason "Hotel" always grated on me every time I heard it, and back in '77 when this album came out, I heard it a lot. Nothing about it connected with me - the melody, the lyrics, the guitar chords, for some reason - not a thing.....!

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom